Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, May 5, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NSP Purchase/Rehab/Resale Questions for Miss Judy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NSP Purchase/Rehab/Resale Questions for Miss Judy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wasteful City Hall View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasteful City Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NSP Purchase/Rehab/Resale Questions for Miss Judy?
    Posted: Mar 19 2011 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Nelson Self on 16 February 2010

Note since the date of the following post, only 10 and not 20 vacant, foreclosed homes are being acquired/rehabbed/resold at considerable taxpayer expense.  Under Nelson's concept plan the city would have directly assisted 70 homebuyers without owning residential property on an interim basis!

Some intriguing questions for certain senior City staff members about the Purchase-Rehab-Resale component of the $2.144 million HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One grant:

1)  What about the alternative Plan prepared by a former City division head that would help reclaim SEVENTY (70) rather than the 20 vacant, foreclosed homes for new owner-occupancy?
2)  Is it true that his plan, prepared in late October 2008 and never presented to the public, WOULD NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVE THE CITY in the process of acquiring and maintaining homes for resale such as the one prepared by an out-of-state consultant for Ginger Smith?
3)  Wasn't the majority of the last City Council opposed to the City of Middletown being ONCE AGAIN DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN THE REAL ESTATE BUSINESS like the infamous FHA Dollar Homes fiasco?
4)  Is there potential for any one local business to benefit handsomely via the City's acquisition of 20 vacant, foreclosed homes?
5)  Where will most (if not all) of the 20 vacant, foreclosed homes be located?
6)  As was allegedly stated by a senior City staff member, will as much as $75,000 be doled out for project subsidy for any house aquired/rehabilitated/resold?
7)  Is there a plan available that multiplies the public benefit while minimizing the City's liability and expenditure of Federal funds?

A detailed summary of my plan were forwarded to the last City Council plus candidates Joshua Laubach and A.J. Smith.  A comparative summary was also posted on this blog. And, it was determined consistent with HUD program rules and regulations by their Headquarters NSP staff!  And, my plan was endorsed by local real estate professionals, target area neighborhood residents and mortgage bankers who were sent packing as members of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee.  They agreed that my plan provided the City with the BEST RETURN ON INVESTMENT of HUD funds!!  Sadly, it didn't see the light of day thanks to Ginger Smith and Miss Judy!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2011 at 2:25am
As I stated on another posting I go with item number 4. Somebody is making money off these deals.Do we know who is doing the work on the houses ??

I know we have some seriously ignorant people working in the city building but nobody could be this stupid.Was the rehab jobs put up for bid ? Does it even require a bidding process ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2011 at 11:32am
Hermes - I'm with you. I stated the same on a different post along with what should happen. This is an outrage!!!
Wasteful City Hall View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasteful City Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2011 at 10:21am

NSP Performance Scorecard

1)  Vacant, Foreclosed Residential Purchase/Rehabilitation/Resale Projects

a)  11/2008 -- $2,144,000+ HUD Grant Application Stated Twenty (20) House Projects
     b)   3/2011 -- Fifty (50) % Reduction; Only Ten (10) Individual House Projects Undertaken

2)  Residential Property Demolition Activity

a)  11/2008 -- $2,144,000+ HUD Grant Application Stated Fifty-Four (54) House Demolition Projects
     b)   3/2011 -- Thirty-Three (33) % Reduction; Only Thirty-Six (36) Houses Demolished

3)  Suggested Reasons For Diminished NSP Performance

a)     11/2008 -- HUD Grant Application Stated Ten (10) % Maximum Or $214,400 For Administration
            Note:  NSP Regulations Dictate Ten (10) % Maximum Of City's $2,144,000+ Entitlement Grant
     b)    3/2011 -- Program Delivery (Extra Dollars Spent For Staff Salaries/Fringe Benefits) How many Dollars Spent (???)
     c)    3/2011-- $300,000 +/- Diverted For "Former Downtown" Commercial Acquisition & Demolition

In reviewing the above, it becomes clear how the boys on the 4th floor of One Donham Plaza conveniently shuffle HUD funds.  It's a great method for concealing the factual administrative/bureaucratic costs supporting their favorite little pet projects while minimizing the real NSP goal of helping to stabilize vulnerable neighborhoods!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2011 at 5:56pm

Is there any info on the amount still in the fund or is the fund depleted ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Government Big Broth View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Government Big Broth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:20pm
Mike Presta, Miss Vivian, Tony Marconi and Hermes -

Thanks for providing up-to-date information on this extravagant HUD boondoggle brought to us by the 4th floor boys of One Donham Plaza.  Please let us know how much more NSP money they squander on the remaining seven Purchase/Rehab/Resale projects.  It sure takes them an excedingly long time to redecorate these disgraceful major money-losing HUD deals.

Wasteful bureaucrat heads need to roll at the Municipal Building fourth floor penthouse !!  GOD help average citizens of Middleton !!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:55pm
At the most recent open meeting with Mr Laubach, it was mentioned that the city has budgeted the money to demolish the Studio Theater on Central. Since that is technically not a house, is anyone privy to where that money is coming from? I imagine you could call it Neighborhood Stabilization but it seems that demolition instead of development is the answer that the city prefers. Is there a rational reason for that? It's obvious to me that redevelopment would have to be done with private funds but another empty hole on Central doesn't seem very "stable". I'd appreciate any info on this matter.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 2:15pm
Tony, Mike Presta and other research wizards are able to give you a much more detailed dissertation than I about Sorg, but I offer this. I recall Sorg was gievn to the city for perhaps an exchange of $1.00. It has dangerously high saturations of asbestos, so I believe economically, it made more sense to have it destroyed than rebult, or re-stablized. With that siaid, it has been a few years since this was the cirection of choice, but nothing has been done to date.

My perception of HUD NSP and some of the other programs are they are loosely monitord and loosely controlled. Unlike medicaid frau, which both the feds and Dewine is tackling aggressively (Dewone adding 4 more attorneys for a total of 28 in Ohio associated with qui tam fraud), HUD is a lossy goosy, at least from what I can decipher.

I suspect if there were adequate means of reporting serious violations, which would warrant criminal prosecution, Neslon Self would have made such reports. The former Middletown prosecutor runs this program through Community Revitalization, and I have a high suspicion he is not jeopardizing his carrer, name, and reputation, over wrongdoing. I suspect onec can point to waste, and management opinions, but seriously doubt any activity fails to comport to NSP guidelines.

We do have some that bend the rules pretty far in Butler Cty, aka Mike Fox, Kay Rogers, others, but my opinion of HUD NSP in Middletown is that is a means of providing a paycheck to those running it, that they attempt to do so honestly with a few exceptions on occasion, and that the whole program will be going away if Obama is booted, the Senate becomes Republican, and Ryan's >$6 T plan to cut is inacted.

You also mentioned public sector business on the other thread. I'll give you another example: the city has a 3rd party who installed cameras for fining people which the 3rd party makes a profit and the city gets a cut. Many factes of city activity that profit is the motivator. Of course, you'll hear its all about safety...wink.   
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:56pm
If the city can buy these properties around town, fix them up and sell them for a $50k or greater loss, and find time to buy other buildings around downtown to give away to Cincinnati State for a deal that may or may not actually happen, then why on earth can't they do the same with the Studio rather than tear it down? They want to revitalize downtown; having a small movie theater in addition to the other art centers and other places they're encouraging to open would be a good fit.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 12:18pm

According to recent e-mails I have received from members of city council and staff, there will be a CDBG/NSP presentation at the next city council meeting. Anyone interested in hearing this presentation should come to the city council meeting tomorrow. This should be highly educational!!!

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

If the city can buy these properties around town, fix them up and sell them for a $50k or greater loss, and find time to buy other buildings around downtown to give away to Cincinnati State for a deal that may or may not actually happen, then why on earth can't they do the same with the Studio rather than tear it down? They want to revitalize downtown; having a small movie theater in addition to the other art centers and other places they're encouraging to open would be a good fit.

I couldn't agree with you more! Having something to do around the old downtown area would be nice. Too many pet projects going on, rather than projects that would benefit the general population. I do hope for the best with the Cinny State deal, but starting the race without the gun going off seems like a case of bad judgement of city officials, especially with the city being hard up on cash.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 8:56pm
This is what downtown Middletown will be after the migration of Cincinnati State downtown. Spiderjohn, you should book them at your next entertainment series, great movie as well.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 9:08am
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

The Studio could be much more than a movie theater and it would have to be to survive. It could also be used as a concert or lecture hall. The plus is that there are other spaces in the building to rent that could pay the mortgage. If you're going to take such monumental losses on housing, why not rehabilitate a building that might actually REPAY THE INVESTMENT!!! That's efficient and effective use of public funds!!!
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 9:21am
I totally agree with you on that TonyB!
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 9:36am

Whats the plan? Who will manage the day to day business? What is the actual cost to repair? Grew up going to the Studio. Have spoken to several local business people who say it would be a huge under taking to fix up and meet code requirements.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 10:09am

ground swat - the only plan that I know of is to tear the building down. Heard all the talk about how bad of shape the building is in, heard it's dangerous heard it would take a huge investment, yada, yada,yada. I'd say it's all just wishful talk but it does seem puzzling considering recent developments to tear down a building that could provide an economic engine to the downtown plan for an "arts community" vision. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't buried treasure under the building!!! lol

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2011 at 10:54pm

I attended the council meeting tonight and watched the presentation of Doug Adkins about the NSP. Since there was no opportunity to ask questions, I was left wondering about a number of things. I know there are many of you on here who might have an answer to some of my questions and I would appreciate some input.

1. Why does HUD run the NSP differently than CDBG programs? I read the laws concerning CDBG but I wasn't aware that the NSP had different guidelines.
2. Who is the person or persons at the federal level of HUD who "highly recommends" that cities take $75k losses on these NSP transactions? Who wrote these guidelines? Is it any wonder the federal government deficit is as bad as it is if this is the kind of directives given to local governments who receive federal funds. The incredible arbitrary nature of that number makes me scratch my head. It should at least be a percentage of the value of houses in the neighborhood. It just makes no sense to put $75k into a $40k home. The idea that a huse in this program should be the best house on the block is all well and good, but that would mean  bringing the value of the house up to $50k not spending $75k on a house that sells for $40k!
3. That brings me to my next question. Why was $71,998 spent on the rehab of this house (1103 14th St.), yet not one dollar was spent on energy efficiency?Not one dollar is credited to the energy efficiency category. Are you telling me a foreclosed house that sold for $15k had an up to date HVAC? The house had proper insulation, energy efficient windows, low flow plumbing fixtures? You had to spend $72k on siding and the floor and paint? The house only needed one appliance? I'm not a contractor, but I would have thought that $72k would have bought more than that.
4. Mr Adkins stated that he saw both positives and negatives with the NSP in it's present form. I would like to hear his recommendations for improving this program. What would you change?

The NSP subsidy for this one house was $62,116!!! I understand the idea of this program, however; the execution of it is terrible! I can't understand how a program with proper funding and enlightened management could not provide a better return on investment. This city is about to face some tough choices. It just doesn't seem responsible to allow tax payer money to be spent with such disregard for common sense!!! I don't care who wrote these HUD guidelines, wrong is wrong!!! This is what we have to fix in our governments at all levels. This is as good a place as any to start!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 6:22am
Nelson Self, TonyB, Nelson Self. He can tell you what the programs are suppose to do, what the city is doing instead, where the money is being spent according to guidelines, where it is being "re-channeled", where the value is, where the waste is, the whole over view on the questions you're asking.

It ain't gonna be pretty what you will hear and will be an indictment on the city's management of the funds. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic