FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Jug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jug
    Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 7:05am
From today's Journal....

Jug’s new owner has ‘passion’ for business

MIDDLETOWN — Last year, much to the dismay of hamburger lovers, The Jug closed in August because its managers had children going back to school.

That won’t be the case this year if Tom Temple has his way.

Temple, 58, a former construction worker, recently purchased The Jug, the popular drive-in on Central Avenue, from John Ridge, and he has major renovations planned for the 79-year-old local icon.

Mr. Temple- don't mess with the taste of this hamburger. Keep the root beer coming, preferably in the frozen glass mugs. Suggest you offer regular fries for some of us who don't care for the dried-out waffle fries. Might want to back the price of your hamburgers down a little if possible and offering a weekly coupon occasionally would certainly help.

Thank you for re-opening a Middletown institution. Missed getting a bag of the double cheesburgers on occasion. Unique taste that allows for an option from fast food row.
rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 2:49pm
Ate there the other day (counter) service much faster then before, could be faster.  Seemed to have to many people helping. I'm sure he'll work the bugs out, sorry problems. Still would like to see it open on Sundays but I respect anyone who practices there beliefs, good luck to him and Mr. Ridge
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 3:32pm
beliefs?  Not sure why someone couldn't go eat there after church.  I think in general Sunday is not a big day for most restaurants.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 4:01pm
Seems like most restaurants are pretty well packed on Sundays, especially with the after church crowds.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

Seems like most restaurants are pretty well packed on Sundays, especially with the after church crowds.
Given the number of the greasy spoons in the area, I more often feel the need to pray after I have eaten.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Given the number of the greasy spoons in the area, I more often feel the need to pray after I have eaten.
Mr. Saunders:
Perhaps you have too much WHINE with your meals??? LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2011 at 9:04am
Simple stating his belief in a day of rest.  Use to happen a long time a go in a time when staying at home with family and friends cooking for each other. Sorry I forgot it's 2011 and we need it now. Being one who by my on choice works 7 days a week I give Mr. Temple credit for taking time out for himself and family. And yes the burgers taste the same.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 12:04pm

My parents were born in the 20's and had some pretty traditional beliefs. My mom cooked 6 days a week and I think for her that "day of rest" on Sunday involved us eating at Bill Knapps, out by the mall. Every freaking Sunday for years! UGH!!

But to each his own on that day of rest theory.

But anyway, best of luck to the new owners.   
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:14pm
Son stopped and got a sack of the double cheeseburgers last night for the family. $2.80 per sandwich....a little high, but understand why. Said they didn't have the waffle fries anymore??? OK with me....too dry, but I thought they were popular with most people. Agree with rem....taste is the same. Glad it's open again. Thank you, Mr. Temple, for taking on this challenge in a difficult economic time.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:19pm

After reading these posts, I want to try this place out. I have driven by it quite a few times. In my experience, old fashioned fast food always tastes better. :) So I would be willing to try it out.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:53pm
I love the Jug. Haven't gotten the chance to stop by yet this season but I'm hoping that they didn't mess with the burgers too much (or at all).

Many a fond memory sitting at the counter with my old man tossing down jugburgers and a frosty cold mug of root beer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic