FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Have You Been Joe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Have You Been Joe?
    Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 9:28am
Today's Journal....

Joe Mulligan: Middletown is repeating the mistakes of the past

"In a two-step process over seven months, Middletown’s Architectural Review Board, planning commission and city administration took actions that repeated the mistakes of Middletown’s past. They squandered an opportunity to attract high-income families to our city".

That ain't all they've squandered over the years Joe. Thank your city leaders.

"Right now, Middletown has plenty of affordable homes for potential buyers. A recent check of real estate Web site Zillow.com reported 88 percent of the current homes for sale in Middletown are priced below $150,000"

With Middletown's reputation and being as undesirable as it is, the number of low-priced homes shouldn't surprise anyone. Thank your city leaders.

"For decades, the city has pursued a flawed “economic development” plan that aimed to fill Middletown’s homes with citizens who require government subsidies. Caring for those in need is noble, but a city cannot build a prosperous local economy by relying on policies that attract residents who are at or near the poverty level".

We have been telling the city leaders this for years Joe. They won't listen to you nor anyone else. (See your city leaders)

"For the next decade, we need to find a sustainable balance, and focus on attracting high-income residents to Middletown. We can and should compete with West Chester Twp., Mason and Springboro, and many other Dayton and Cincinnati suburbs".

Too late Joe. The city leaders have already created an atmosphere and a reputation for Middletown as a low income, government assisted ghetto with the overabundant Section 8 slumlord program as the focal point. (Hey!- city leaders again)

"With a strategy that attracts high-income families, the city’s tax base can expand, along with city services and amenities".

They don't care about attracting high-income families Joe. They're getting their city revenue through government handout programs, resulting in the destruction of a once-proud town. They are too lazy (or stupid) to know how to get revenue the old fashion way....jobs and taxes. They have ruined this town to the point it is no longer attractive to anyone other than those who want free handouts and are too pathetic to work. (This is getting redundant but point the finger at the city leaders again, Joe)

Joe, your complaint is with the Planning Commission and Marty Kohler. Might want to tell the common source of your (and our) problems also- you got it....the city leaders. (Suggestion- they won't listen so don't waste your time)
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 2:45pm
I loved it when I seen that in the paper !!

Everything Joe Mulligan said was true and dead on.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 5:30pm
I concur with Joe Mulligan here. he makes a very valid case on bringing in those who have higher income. I'd be most interested in his views on bringing jobs, public safety, getting our infrastructure updated.
Thanks for the newspaper commentary.
Paul Nagy
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 8:03pm
I talked to Jack Wolf, who was on Planning Comission for the first vote on the Fischer project. He voted no and advised others to vote no on the second vote for Fischer. He said that he doesn't believe that Fischer owns the property, free and clear because of the Dixon Backruptcy. A lot of people will lose a lot of money by the time the Fischer project is finished, if at all.Unhappy
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 4:08am

With all due respect to Mr. Joseph Mulligan, I am unsure that we can any longer compete with “West Chester Twp., Mason and Springboro, and many other Dayton and Cincinnati suburbs”.

We impose higher payroll and property taxes than most of those communities, yet we expect anyone who chooses to buy a home here and pay those higher taxes, in addition to pay the additional costs to repave their own street when necessary (unless they happen to live on a street favored by the bureaucrats at city hall, or their friends).

We, by ordinance and red tape, discourage the types of businesses and amenities desired by the residents of such communities from flourishing.

Heck, we expend our scarce taxpayers’ dollars at interstate exits in such communities both north and south of our city to advertise our municipal golf course on billboards, yet are barred by city our own ordinances to do the same at our very own exit.

How can we compete against those communities when we handicap ourselves and our own businesses by our very own ordinances from competing fairly against them???

How can we compete against those communities when we squander our tax money on scheme after risky scheme to benefit a few, thereby making it more expensive to live here than those other communities while receiving less for the tax dollars paid???

How can we compete against those communities when it is the stated “Master Plan” of this city to strive to be a “quaint small town (20,000 pop.) with downtown retail center” over five miles from the interstate??? Can such a model thrive along a busy interstate in the 21st century outside the imagination of the naïve???  How does city hall plan to eliminate the other 28,000 residents???

No.  I fear that we will simply stand back and watch while our city government hires more bureaoucrats and screws up whatever plans any propsective new owner may have for the Towne Mall property, turning it into another municipally sponsored give-away of tax money that will seal our fate as the "fastest dying city" for another decade or three or four.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:20am
I agree with one caveat: that being it made some degree of sense to keep the development more upscale associated with its intentional intention. I also agree with Mr. Presta's position, as simply because there is property off the interstate does not make it attractive. The question for the buyer remains; do I wish to live in Middletown, even though it is annexed, or not? For most, that's an easy question to answer, that being an affirmative no.

One fully appreciates the situation with the failed development. Dedicated Middletownians, especially those attracted to Fenwick,  would move there, but can't sell their west bound Middletown home. To make the area another 'Sawyer's Mill' certainly has no better chance of success than Sawyer's Mill. Most would agree that area has not been a success and certainly has not grown. Riverbend failed. Renaiisaance to date, failed. Sawyer's Mill has failed.

Sorry Joe, while agreeing that keeping the Renaissance area to higher standards seemed logical, dropping the price point makes it no more attractive to anyone when the other areas have been a failure referenced. The problem----all are in Middletown. Highway means nothing, living in Middletown means everything. Bo buyers because of known problems.     
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 10:31am
Joe Mulligan is a very sharp guy. I like him, see him as open-minded, and hope that he has the ear of  our Mayor. I agree with his stance on the Fischer situation, which means that I also back Mr.Kohler here. If Mr.Wolf,Mr.Mulligan and Mr.Brickey voted against this legislation, then every other Planning Commission member had to vote against it(Mr.Marconi, Mr.Amburgey, Mr.Dalton and ??--what reasoning was given outside of Mr.Amburgey's quote?). Obviously Section 8 in that area is just down the road. So we will be butchered and hamstrung from our far east to far west borders, with new lower-income housing to compete with our older inner-city existing base of marketed residential real estate.

The MJ is doing well to promote potential positives, from the latest promo of a Pendleton opening, to the possibility of Cincy State eventually on the horizon. The MU-M Artist & Lecture Series was a tremendous boost to our local image, bringing in world-class musicians and an out-of-town upscale crowd from a wide area, with a different type of person attending each show. David Finkleman Auditorium sold out for three consecutive shows, and had never had ia prior sell-out in it's existence. Yet no mention or support of this series from local CVB, Council, Admin or the MJ. They only seem to promote the long dormant former downtown area. Why?

The prior school administration(only minus Dr.Price currently) over-built and over-spent in the over-ambitious new school process. The up-coming "cuts" so far are mostly punitive to the parents and students(community in general). I would expect faculty and admin trimming to follow as soon as the school year ends.

The local news outfits outside of the MJ feature us nightly. And the features are seldom positive. We personify the negative sensation headline-grabbing teasers for them. The Dillman Foods "drive-thru" with no citations, the gang fight rumors at MHS, the MHS basketball coach "resigning" after an award-winning season, and the dog-napping being the latest flurry. Hard to get a good community image to our neighbors and perspective new businesses and residents.

The "pay to play" road repair program is a terrible concept, flying in the face of Council/admin's fundamental responsibilities of infrastructure and public safety. With Cincy St. being far down the road, and mentioning a start-up at Butler Tech for the reataurant program classes(meining just  what about the Manchester?).

So--let's support the Pendleton this Friday, and hope for the best with C St. They are all that we have at this point. They are here to make things better, and shouldn't be scapegoating for the very ?able and expensive (to the taxpaying citizens) actions of our current Council/Admin.

jmo
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 1:41pm
sj, I agree with your assessment which you provided earlier on another thread, M. Kohler and others, did not support the downward extension of lowering the standards in the Renaissance area. I recall Mr. Amburgy stating in essence, something wasn't working if 60/600 homes were NOT built, in that context, not a quote, meaning something being built was better than nothing. And, the residents seemed to support that as well. I agree however with you. How will the lower standard be an area that drawls more, when there is another development at that price pt and standard in Warrent Cty heading north, within .25 mile of Fenwick.

The negative publicity isn't helping, but neither are taxes, and the pt you were spot on, the 'pay to play' asphalt program. Middletown's reputation is in the gutter. Just had a house by me sell $80Kk below what it was bought 5 years ago this week. Everyone will be taling hits on their homes for decades to come. I don't see remotely, where Cincinnati State or PAC alters that situation. So we are up to 10 units at PAC, and catering. That will not become a destination pt, but as Schiavone indicated, what else were they to do with the Manchester, other than tear it down. Imagine the press field day with that one...long established landmark closed for good, with FOR LEASE/ FOR SALE sign.

Constnatly shooting itself in the foot does the residents no good by the city, the school board, and council. Can't address the citation issue. Explain if you will, how does a trucker get charged with a felony for hitting a barrier of concrete 12 inches from a massive tandem semi, and a lady mistakes a gas peddle for a brake, and forward with reverse, and is not cited? Life in Middletown is full of contradictions isn't it?     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic