FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Looks To Boost Recycling To 10 Percent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Looks To Boost Recycling To 10 Percent
    Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 1:43pm

MIDDLETOWN — This spring, Keep Middletown Beautiful is taking its green initiative beyond the garden.

While volunteers of Keep Middletown Beautiful can be seen planting flowers in the city’s Bright Spots, the organization was founded on the principles of green living and recycling, said Jeff Michel, executive director.

“But we didn’t get down to the grass roots, ground level and talk to the residents about it. So we’re getting back down to the basics,” he said.

Those basics include increasing the city’s recycling level, which lags significantly behind neighboring communities.

Full Story Here:
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 1:43pm
This is a good thing.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 5:17pm
I agree Randy! The new (FREE) large recycling bins that you can get simply by calling the city and asking to be put on the list have made recycling much easier, and the list of what they'll actually take is larger than most people would think I bet. Making it easier to recycle throughout the city and educating the population on what can be recycled are great steps in the right direction.

I think between this new project and the Earth Day stuff, it has kept Mr. Michel pretty busy since the Service Project Coordinator from one of the local Scouting units has been unsuccessfully been trying to contact KMB via phone for 2+ weeks now to discuss ways to get our local Scouting families more involved.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 10:43am
Yep this is a good thing. We started with the small bin, and now having the large bin on wheels makes recycling much easier to do. It definately cuts down on the trash. It would be great if they had another bin just for yard waste.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 2:47pm

Recycling......good topic and one that makes me scratch my head and say "Hhhhmmm".

If someone wants to pay me to recycle I'd be all for it,buy my glass and plastic and I'd be more than happy to help save mother earth and maybe even attend an earth day party and drink and eat out of plastic cups and plates so we can have more to recycle.But where I have a problem is with the person or person's who are making $billions off hood winking the American public.Share those $billions with me and hey,you got a follower.How many times have you had a cookout or get together and used plastic forks,spoons,plates and cups for your guest ? But hey ! We recycle so it's not a problem ! To me it's a problem.If your heart is set on saving the earth then why do you use materials that need recycling ? Doesn't make sense and it's a double standard.When you go through the drive thru what do you do with that bag and little cardboard box your food came in ? Throw it in the backseat and wait until it's full then head for the nearest recycling station ? Yeah....ok.

People are making money off recycling so why shouldn't the consumer ? Why can't I get a monthly check for the amount of recyclable material I put out ? Does anything cost less because it's made from recyclable material ? Hell no ! If anything it cost more ! So bottom line,pay me my share and stop using plastic,styrofoam,cardboard,etc,etc because all your doing is feeding the greed monster that is making $billions and laughing at you all the way to the bank.

Don't get me started on cities that make it mandatory to recycle. Unhappy
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 6:21pm

I agree with Hermes!!!

I "recycle" most of my jokes (and other people's jokes too) over and over and no one pays me one red cent!!!  In fact, I am usually scorned for it!!!  LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:07pm
hermes - The reason you scratch your head and say "hmmm" about recycling is you haven't been properly educated (IMO). Let me attempt to give you some information about recycling.

Let's get one thing straight, collecting material is NOT recycling!!! If those collected materials aren't turned into products that people will purchase, recycling does not take place. The idea that if we collect more we will be recycling more is just not true.

You want to be PAID to recycle? The above should provide you with the reason you aren not paid; you're not recycling!!! However, by throwing materials that can be recycled into a landfill, you ARE paying higher waste disposal cost and filling landfill space with materials that don't need to be there. When the landfill that is Rumpke mountain is closed because it is full (that day will come), will you want a landfill in your backyard? Where will we put our refuse then?

Making billions hoodwinking the American Public? You must be referring to corporations like GE who bemoan the 35% corporate tax rate while paying nothing in corporate taxes. Take a few moments to find out what companies actually recycle by providing products made from recycled materials. Then we might be able to have a conversation about who is being "hoodwinked".

Why use materials that can be recycled? Because they CAN be recycled!!! There is no double standard there. Are you advocating that we should only use materials that can't be recycled? We already have a throwaway society; more trash is not what we need.

As for the idea that you are "saving the earth" when you recycle? That is a by-product of recycling; the main reasons for recycling is to get the maximum usage from raw materials. In most cases, only a fraction of the energy is needed to recycle a material into a new product instead of having to turn raw materials into the materials needed. It saves time and money for a company and that results in a stronger company and stronger economy.

Consumers DO make money returning materials for recycling; go to Cohen Brothers and watch the line of people who bring materials there. You want to make money from things you were going to throw away? Have a garage sale!!!

There is one thing here you do have right. Very few things cost less just because they were made from recycled material. That's a market situation not just a recycling issue. If consumers would only purchase items that can either be recycled or have recycled content in them, you would see the prices drop. Basic supply and demand there. The greed monster: what does it say when you want paid for things that you were going to throw away because they have either served their purpose or have been used and are now no longer wanted?

Mandatory recycling? Get ready because it will be coming to a town near you soon! In the not too distant future, you will see companies like Rumpke digging up those landfills to recover materials for reuse. If you think it cost more now, wait til there is no place to throw away your garbage. Then you can look back to the good old days when we just sat our garbage out and someone came and took it away. Then you might have a little more understanding about why we needed to recycle materials when we had an option.
US CorporateTax Rate View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US CorporateTax Rate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:27pm
TonyB, you may have missed the excellent 60 Minute show on Sunday where about 20 minutes was devoted to the 35% corporate tax rate. because it is so high, GE and about 100 F500's, have plants in Ireland where they file their IP rights, manufacture, etc. That includes the pharmaceutical companies as well. As the CEO of Cisco stated, in excess of $1 T in annual tax revenue and savings, is in Ireland, because the US has such an outrageous and non competitive corporate rate. It isn't just GE, which is one of my least favorite companies with focus in Iran and pandering to Obama's interests to sell energy products.

As for Rumke, I've had to pick up more waste from their sheer laziness after disposing of trash, that they refuse to pick up. A piece of paper or other litter blown out of the truck or trash can, and they just let it blow without taking 30 seconds of their time. And all those bottled waters and other plastic items you put in the 'green' disposal? Unless they are spotless and cleaned, Rumke takes that and it goes right into the landfill.

Of course it makes sense to recycle items that can be.   
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:52pm
US Corporate Tax Rate - The corporate tax rate could be 99% but if you've rigged the tax system so all of your profits aren't taxable, what difference does it make?
The real problem (IMO) isn't the tax rate itself. It's all the deductions and exemptions and stimulus and gimmicks. Let's have a corporate tax rate of 10%. Let's also have no deductions or exemptions or anything else!!! The real problem is FAIRNESS!!! How is it fair that actual small businesses wind up paying those rates while huge corporations pay nothing!!!? So long as the bottom line is the ONLY consideration, corporate America is happy to let individuals pay while they reap the benefits.

As for Rumpke, they pick up trash, not litter. Yes, I know, it is a matter of degree. A ripped open bag with trash everywhere? That's a problem. It is not a Rumpke problem, however. How much do you think those guys would make (and how many more of them would be needed) if they had to pick up every piece of litter on their route? As for plastics, as I mentioned above, it is a matter of economics. If it costs too much to recycle the material, a company simply won't do it. Recycling is a circle, break the circle and recycling does not take place. There will come a day when it won't be optional to sort your trash. Will we mandate a company must recycle? I don't see how that could happen unless there is a cost savings or profit from it.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 3:23pm

When living in Germany, you HAD to recycle if you lived on or off post/base. Even if you went to a fast food place somewhere, you had to recycle there. It was definately different. If you given different types of bags that were for recycling. The govt could, by law, seach your trash and fine you if they found stuff that could be recycled. They wouldn't pick up a bag of recycling if you put a metal can in the "plastics" bag. Believe me, the Germans watched you, especially Americans. If you lived in an apartment building and threw away recycling... the ENTIRE apartment building would be fined for your mistake!!

The thing was, they only picked your actual trash up every 2 weeks. The size of your trash can depended on the size of your household. Since it was just my wife and I, our trash can was only about 12 inches deep, and that space would be for 2 weeks. As for food waste, you could only thow away things that would attract animals, like bones or meat etc. The rest had to go into your compost pile that was in your yard.

It was a pretty elaborate system.. but you got use to it. You would be surprised how much space you can actually save that would just end up in the landfill. Since my time in Germany, I have been trying to recycle what I can. I noticed the rules of what can be recycled here in the states are kind of strange.. like plastic bottles that can be recycled have to be smaller at the top than the bottom.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to recycle. Rumpke even provides bins for free. I find that most people are just too lazy to put in the effort. But who knows, maybe people will change. Tony brought up a good point that a lot of people just haven't been educated about the positives of recycling.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:39pm
Viper - thank you for your post. I spent two years in Germany when I was in the Army and concur with your observations about how things are there. It is also incredibly clean and free of litter and you can trust me on this; I saw a lot of the West German countryside! We roadmarched  our tanks thru places you had no idea even existed. Every day I give thanks that we never went to war there and Germany has been reunited. It would have destroyed  a beautiful place.
It does seem that people here really are ignorant to the facts about how to reduce wastes produced; which is the true goal of all of this. It is more than just recycling; the idea is Reduce, Re-use, Recycle.
Reduce the amount of garbage you create. Re-use an item that can be or find a new use for it. Finally collect and sort your recyclables. Buy products that have recycled content or can be recycled locally. It makes no difference if you collect it if there is no market for it. Don't just throw trash down. Littering shows how little you care about where you live. It's disrespectful to others and even to yourself.
I hope that this world can be shook out of its apathy about being good stewards of our planet. It seems we're plunging headlong into a future where life will be very different than it is now. My hope is that we can find the wisdom to solve our problems and take advantages of new technologies and new ideas.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:31am
No problem Tony. I noticed while I was there that 95% of the litter on the sides of the roads was due to other American military members throwing their trash out of the car window!!! That kind of stuff really didn't help relations between the Americans and Germans...and it was hard enough to get along with them due to the negative views other countries have on Americans.

As for going off the beaten path, I did a lot of metal detecting all over the countryside there. It was pretty cool to see all the scenery and history, though I did offend a few Germans by digging holes too close to trees :)

Seriously, it doesn't require a lot of effort to recycle. People should have been doing it a long time ago. It helps everyone out in the long run.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic