FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Town Hall with Josh Laubach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 3:16pm
TonyB writes....."Mr. Laubach made his feeling and intentions clear that he would like to see a dedicated fund for infrastructure improvement. It is more of the how to accomplish this; whether thru legislation or referendum that is now the issue as is whether the other 6 members of council support such an action. Only time will tell about that".

I doubt if the effort to place the money back into the Street/infrastructure fund from the General Fund will be supported by the majority of council through legislation. Mr. Laubach alone can't accomplish that I don't believe. The majority of council will not give the people what they need to get the roads fixed.

It will take a vote of the people to get this switched through a referendum and council will have to be bypassed, I would imagine. Question is, who will initiate this procedure from the voter ranks to get enough registered voter signatures for ballot placing?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 3:26pm
TonyB, I just happen to be spinning between a PPT presentation and running an Excel spreadsheet, as I am posting more than usual on this topic.

Lets explore your kennesyian economic theory and axiomatic viewpoint of downtown and Cincinnati State. You begin and conclude with pure speculation. That is where my point began. You state can, may, perhaps it may happen. Woukd you agree with the following. if not PLEASE enlighten me!

i) At this juncture, Cincinnati State has no idea what to forecast for no. of students attending nor what curriculum they will offer, yes, no, maybe?
ii) We have ni idea how emplyees will be here; 20, 1000, how many will commute right, or move?
iii)  We have ni idea WHEN Cicinnati State will begin to hold classes. It could be 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020? We don't know!
iv) Keynesian economics, law of supply and demand theory. Because we have some downtown that means we will have more expenditures? How much, what category? Books you say, food, paper, supplies? All provided by Cincinnati State---just like MUM has the food court. How does that translate to businesses downtown?
v) YMCA memberships---because there are breaks, we may have more uptick in Y memberships---how many?
vi) Renaissance area. How many houses will be built for those we have no idea are moving, and what impact does this have in Middletown?

These "macro generalities" have been ongoing for 6 months, with no idea when an answer will materialize.

vii) What if anything, could > $500,000 have been spent in alternative based upon the countless unknowns associated with thsi project?

May I assume these answers in detail were given at the meeting last night?   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 3:37pm
Vet, I meant to make that pt as well. It will take Josh's MOTION, and one second, to get it for a vote. I have no doubt, ASJ, AJ Smith, Josh, Picard, will support it, Allen, Becker, and Mulligan will not. They think this gives leverage for the tax levies, the ol tried strategy of taking away services. Although Picrad swings with Becker and the gang, he knows what this would mean to him personally. 4-3, just get the damn thing on the table Mr. Laubach well before the elcection cycle. If you wait, they won't be punishede for their NO vote.       
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 4:46pm

From what I heard last night, Councilman Laubaugh stated that he would support an initiative that would place 20% of the income tax collected into a dedicated infrastucture fund, probably to the tune of approx. 2 million per annum. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

acclaro--I see Cincy State as a "win" for the city, as the only possible option(at this time) to bring any life back to that portion of the city. As mentioned, students will need textbooks/supplies aprroximate to their classes--nourishment as they spend time in the area--and the entertainment distractions well-assoiated with student life(realize that this will not be a typical dorm/townie atmosphere). Nothing has worked in the area so far, from the current "stakeholders" and municipal approaches. Out-of-town thinking is the obvious next step. Hopefully this will also materialize with the PAC project eventually(I believe that our Mayor stated PAC to have used their allotment of taxpayer funding already). Unlike PAC with a once a month gathering, C St. would be a 5-6 day per week activity, probably from AM to PM. C St.students may well be older, family people, with current employment. Causing them to take evening classes and such. Could be an attractive draw that would bring into place city entrances from the W Middletown area and beyond, rt 4 from Liberty/Hamilton/Fairfield, and from the other end of rt.4 from Carlisle/Germantown. Down rt 73 from Franklin/Springboro, not to mention the locals who will not go on to be doctors,lawyers and executives.

so--then we can finally move forward to "fix" the rest of this city(which has been ignored for far too long).

jmo and hope at this point.

As for the very enjoyable MU-M music series from last year, I don't see anything of that scope up-coming with the loss of David Finkleman for an extended period. I have heard nothing about a venue change to MHS or any artists being booked. I was helpful in bring the series initially here, and advising on artist selection. That, and selling the concept locally, was the extent of my involvement . 99.9% of the credit should go to Howard Epstein & family, Mike Pratt and the Oxford brass who approved the project. It was much fun, a under-appreciated boost to the perception and ambiance of our community imo.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 5:11pm
sj, thank you for your response and clarity. I get your point. I mean not to be demeaning, but its like the golf cosue, have a nice facility and they will come often, same with airport. Playing devils' advocate, but warranted.

I suspect Cincinnati State will have a student center (union), a cafetertia like MUM< a small rec room. I suppose those revenues are some how impacting Middletown in some fashion on taxation of sales. Books and all that, will be at Cincinnati State, no seperate Kennedy Bookstore or Coop like at Oxford. To date, we still have absolutely no idea on timing, curriculum, numbers of faculty, numbers of students, or any of that. But, your point is well made. It beats a "stick in the eye"; ergo, better than tearing down the rest of Middletown. I'm not quite as convinced on numbers moving or even driving to Middletown from Trenton, other areas. The culinary school has a fine reputation, virtually every other program is on parity with MUM, Miami Jacobs, Sinclair, and for those that don't know it....the best deal in the US is Ohio University's paralegal program for $1,000, done in a few months, vs Cincinnati State's two year program.

At the end of the day, I suspect State will focus heavily upon culinary and perhaps their green and IT programs.

You should have gotten credit for the great venue at MUM, more of that is needed to off-set the negatives associated with the usual press Middletown gets. It would be interesting why State chose Middletown over other suitors. i suspect it was a deal too good with incentives to pass up and they think they can turn the Manchester around, maybe use it for a cafeteria, and lodging. Too few details, too many questions, but you are rigt. Considering the stick in the eye, its a better option.        
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 5:32pm
acclaro - my friend, you can assume anything you'd like; however, you'd be wrong if you thought the answers to your questions above were answered in detail. As I have stated numerous times, everything is conjecture until we have a signed and sealed deal.
I would like to correct one thing. Universities do not supply books, paper or any other materials. Food at the MUM food court is subject to the same sales taxes as any other restaurant in town. The need for those books, paper and such would offer business opportunities in the downtown area to fill those needs.
I am not an economist, Keynesian or otherwise and as far as axiomatic (had to look that one up, lol), it's evident to me until we find out the specifics that nothing about this is self-evident other than we've bought the buildings. The benefits are all conjecture at this point.

Spider, you were there and didn't intro yourself; unless you did and I didn't realize who you were. Your recollection of Mr. Laubach's infrastructure statement is accurate.

Vet - I agree that the other members of council have shown no interest or support for this idea that I'm aware of. If they have, I'm sure we'll hear about it.  Mr. Laubach did say that he would prefer not to go the referendum route; he is correct that this should be a legislative issue decided by council. If citizens really want this and the council won't support it, the question becomes one of whether we can overcome apathy. I would not want to put money on that proposition.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 5:58pm
TonyB, I meant no disrespect nor lack of courtesy to your typically well thought and probing questions. I'm just a little frayed at the lack of answers from those who run this town, which is expected in a business, but in the public setting, may take 3-5 years to get to it. I just don't like assumptions and was taught many years ago, to confirm. This saga downtown is pure conjecture, other than they are coming. Whom? Lts assume not the British.

I do take one exception, although its impact on tax revenue I suspect is moot (as I am NOT a tax attorney or declare myself to be the cty auditor), small colleges and community two year programs indeed do have food courts run by the university or entity, cafeteria's, tsometimes outsourced (very typical for universities), and book stores. Oxford has both the Coop and a campus bookstore, and I believe MUM's is run by the university, but it could be outsourced. But, books, paper, candy, drinks, and calculators, are taxed.

The point to be made was: will this help a business downtown, or will someone open it, or will it be oncamus run by them (either way the sales tax is collected). I venture to say it will be within the Cincinnati State location.

But, the good news! Students will stop by UDF to fill up their Prius and stop in at Dillman's for the ham salad and other goodies, and may even grab a pizza out by LaRosa's. I personally prefer the Coop in Oxford over the university bookstore, they still carry the older Miami Redskin decal and better sweatshirts!  Hmmm.....would a Starbucks, Jmmy John's, and Chilpole's be a good investment downtown? Excuse me TonyB, I'm doingmy market research and targeted marketing using spot mapping.  
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 8:34pm
Mr. Laubach,I was reading another thread and an excellent point was made by Neil barille (no, I don't think was the former Economic Director now in Asheville NC but I digress. If the civilain work force just settled their contract through 2013 at a 1% increase and holding stead, then there will be the precedant that's been done through th school district, and the police, to keep the status quo, to not roll back salaries, nor to have city employees pay a higher % for pensions and benefits---right? So, the system in Middletown has just skirted the issue of SR5 by having it kane care of through 2013. Is the plan and the thought of council, voters are stupid enough to have no service, and keep the 1.75% in place?

I will do everything in my power, and would ask others for help, support, and facilitation after reading this, to bring busloads of people out to the polls that normally sit at home, to meet in the bursing and assisted living homes, with their grandchildren, and say, this must be defeated, because the city committed just like they did 5 years ago, they'd get than levy passed that did nothing to bebenfit the citizens, and made sure the fat cats remained fat.  

Heck, AJ Smith doesn't need to worry about a referndum, in Middletown they have done nothing, Salaries with a minor GDP adjustment, no pay cut, and no asking for a higher % all based on assuring the city workers, council will get that levy renewed. Whatever it takes to organize efefctively for a change, enough will be committed to roll back the tax to 1.5%.

What's the point of even discussing 2012, the precdent has already been set, other than now the sole focus on defeating the wasteful spending of ,25%, which will be pursued with zealous activity and purpose.   
Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 10:21pm
Mr. Laubaugh seems to be the start of an answer IMO. Someone who is willing to venture into the lion's den w/ an invitation and then stick around to answer some questions. The numerous statements of apathy and status quo. Seems that someone is at least willing to come down off the tower and at least humor the peasants. Not putting my eggs in one basket but where do we start?
Although, I do not agree with Mr. Laubaugh's assesment of unions I do agree change must happen. I would also respectfully ask what measures he is willing to take to stop the "good ol' boy" system that has put this city where it is. Not just in the upper levels but to anyone with a formal title in this city gov't. Mr. Laubaugh just a note this is not a challenge merely a respectful question from a ward resident.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 10:36pm

Joe C - I agree with your assessment of Mr Laubach; you should be aware that the Mayor arrived about halfway thru the open meeting and was forthcoming in that he provided information and listened to others comments without taking the spotlight away from Mr Laubach.

IMO, the way to get rid of any "good ol' boy" system is term limits for elected representatives. I am now and have been for many years a believer in regularly promoting our elected representatives to private citizens. Corruption is more difficult to achieve when officials don't stay around long enough to be corrupted by the power of elected office.I 've always believed elected office is about service, it's not about earning anything other than the respect and gratitude of the people you serve. I was told that idea is no longer taught in Civics classes. I hope that is not true.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:41am
Tony B thank you for the additional info. Mr. Mulligan should be recognized for this. "Credit where it is due." I agree with you in part on term limits. My only concern would be how long. Just as an example if 4 yr terms. Seems to me the way this city works these folks would be checking out just as things were getting going. IMO kind of stifles progress? My concern is if by some stroke of luck people finally get to the point they have had enough voting people out is great but what do we do with the problem of the appointed underlings who seem to just skate through? Quick answer severence, pat on the back,(boot in the a@@)and shown the door.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:46am
Tony B also sorry bout the Civics class definately a sad day. History and gov't have always intrested me as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic