FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Shirking Responsibility Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Shirking Responsibility Again
    Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 3:38pm
Today's Journal .....

Street repairs coming to a neighborhood near you

MIDDLETOWN — Nearly $1.1 million in street repairs are planned for city streets this year, but homeowners will have to foot the bill for any concrete work.

The HOMEOWNER WILL HAVE TO FOOT THE BILL FOR ANY CONCRETE WORK. Nope, city's responsibility collected through taxes councilpeople.

"The city will be requiring homeowners to repair any defective driveway aprons, curbs, sidewalks and gutters as part of Middletown’s 2011 Sidewalk, Curb and Gutter Program".

Mr. Laubach, Ms. Scott-Jones, Mr. AJ Smith, this is wrong and you all know it. It is another attack on the city residents and their wallets. Why don't you three propose that the Street Repair fund money be returned from the General Fund? Why are you procrastinating on what is obviously the correct thing to do? Please answer why this hasn't been done years ago?

"Residents can choose to hire someone to make repairs or leave the work to a company hired by the city".

OR....OR.....do the work themselves. Buy some lumber, make some concrete forms, bust up the cracked concrete, buy some quick-set concrete and pour the dam concrete yourself. Doesn't say a thing in this article about the quality of the job done and doesn't say anything about the concrete work having to meet a certain criteria.

Jason Tarter, who lives on a corner lot at 109 Batsey Drive, is among property owners less than thrilled about the pending repair costs.
He said any necessary repairs are the city’s responsibility.
“All I’d like to see them do is blacktop the road. They take enough taxes for that,” he said.
“I think this is their job, myself,” he said of the plethora of spray-painted “Xs” along his driveway and curb to mark the repairs he’ll have to make.

Amen Jason.

"Public Works Director Dave Duritsch said homeowners can choose to make the repairs themselves"

There you go, do it yourself-apparently no criteria for assessment after it is done.

"Of the estimated $1.1 million it will cost Middletown to complete the road repairs, $650,000 will be covered through an Ohio Public Works Commission grant. The remaining $450,000 will be paid through Middletown’s city, storm water and water capital improvement programs, Duritsch said"

That $450,000 should be paid through the street repair fund...oh, forgot, that went away in 1986 and has yet to be returned from the General Fund. Why not?

Some of the streets listed at the end of this article are in better shape than other streets in town. It is also noted that the mayor, the planning director and I'm sure some other "dignitaries" live on South Main. Hmmmm....isn't that ironic, that the street paving should affect their street rather than ones in more need of repair.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 4:32pm
So they are getting $650k from the state for the road repair and using $450k to repair the curbs, gutters and sidewalks from storm water and water capital improvement programs. So, why are property owners being assessed for work that the city has already allocated from the proper fund to do the proper work? Never real good with those things but I always thought that was the proper was to budget and prioritize work. What's the deal?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 5:42pm
So...the money that should've been being used for street maintenance and repair has been going into the general fund and used for salaries.  Now money from the sorm sewer and water fund is being used for streets.  But when this was suggested before, it was explained that this money could not be used for streets and that it was in an enterprise fund earmarked for separation of the combined sewer system.

So where will the money for separation of the combined sewer system com from now that this money is being used for streets??? Confused
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 6:46pm
TonyB - The $450,000 is part of the total of $1.1 million,that 450 will not be spent on the repairs of sidewalks,gutters,etc.

I absolutely dare the city to approach me and say I need any kind of repairs !! My friggin tax dollars are suppose to cover expenses in maintaining this corrupt as* town,no way will I pay anything towards this bull ! I'll demo my own house and leave the friggin state before that happens. Angry
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Today's Journal .....

Street repairs coming to a neighborhood near you

MIDDLETOWN — Nearly $1.1 million in street repairs are planned for city streets this year, but homeowners will have to foot the bill for any concrete work.

The HOMEOWNER WILL HAVE TO FOOT THE BILL FOR ANY CONCRETE WORK. Nope, city's responsibility collected through taxes councilpeople.

"The city will be requiring homeowners to repair any defective driveway aprons, curbs, sidewalks and gutters as part of Middletown’s 2011 Sidewalk, Curb and Gutter Program".

Mr. Laubach, Ms. Scott-Jones, Mr. AJ Smith, this is wrong and you all know it. It is another attack on the city residents and their wallets. Why don't you three propose that the Street Repair fund money be returned from the General Fund? Why are you procrastinating on what is obviously the correct thing to do? Please answer why this hasn't been done years ago?

"Residents can choose to hire someone to make repairs or leave the work to a company hired by the city".

OR....OR.....do the work themselves. Buy some lumber, make some concrete forms, bust up the cracked concrete, buy some quick-set concrete and pour the dam concrete yourself. Doesn't say a thing in this article about the quality of the job done and doesn't say anything about the concrete work having to meet a certain criteria.

Jason Tarter, who lives on a corner lot at 109 Batsey Drive, is among property owners less than thrilled about the pending repair costs.
He said any necessary repairs are the city’s responsibility.
“All I’d like to see them do is blacktop the road. They take enough taxes for that,” he said.
“I think this is their job, myself,” he said of the plethora of spray-painted “Xs” along his driveway and curb to mark the repairs he’ll have to make.

Amen Jason.

"Public Works Director Dave Duritsch said homeowners can choose to make the repairs themselves"

There you go, do it yourself-apparently no criteria for assessment after it is done.

"Of the estimated $1.1 million it will cost Middletown to complete the road repairs, $650,000 will be covered through an Ohio Public Works Commission grant. The remaining $450,000 will be paid through Middletown’s city, storm water and water capital improvement programs, Duritsch said"

That $450,000 should be paid through the street repair fund...oh, forgot, that went away in 1986 and has yet to be returned from the General Fund. Why not?

Some of the streets listed at the end of this article are in better shape than other streets in town. It is also noted that the mayor, the planning director and I'm sure some other "dignitaries" live on South Main. Hmmmm....isn't that ironic, that the street paving should affect their street rather than ones in more need of repair.
This isn't the only bulls*** in todays's paper,how about the crap concerning the canal with Josh stating that redirecting the water was a reactionary solution. What the hell was the pac deal and buying all those buidings for a no contract deal with Cincy State.
Everybody paying over $4000 while the mayor pays $900 and Josh $400. Quit playing us for idiots you minrods.

Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 10:51pm

Once again our city “leaders” are stooping to any level to steal from the Middletown citizens. Requiring citizens to pay for curbs and gutters while council steals about 3 million dollars a year from the Auto and Gas Fund is just more proof of the corruption in the city building. You will notice that the Auto and Gas Fund was not even mentioned as a source of street repair funds. The Auto and Gas Fund is a fund that is returned to the city from the state from gas taxes and license plate fees. This fund may only legally be used for street repair, for traffic signals and grounds (mowing of medians and shoulders of roads). As most of you remember not one pot hole was patched for 20 years, but when traffic lights needed repair a few years ago, they were removed instead of repaired because the city claimed to have no money. This about three million dollars a year just seems to disappear, but no worry, the city crooks can just make the citizens pay for everything. Breiel Blvd. residents were billed for curbs and gutters even though the work was paid for with stimulus funds. If I read the law correctly, the city can only ask for reimbursement for their own funds (our tax dollars) not for stimulus money or state and federal grants. I believe this same fraud was committed against the property owners on Old Roosevelt several years ago. Federal and State Grants paid for all of the work but the property owners were billed about 10 thousand dollars each for curbs and gutters (no sidewalks were installed). We all know about Lefferson Road residents that only wanted their street resurfaced for twenty years, but didn’t want sidewalks or curbs and gutters. So without being willing to be robbed for concrete work, the city ignored them until they could figure a scam to steal $11,400 per property owner. (The property owners have been paying for sewer and storm water sewer charges for many years, now they must pay again. Sound familiar?)

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:04am

A few questions about some of the above statements:

1. Why do we pay property taxes and income taxes to the city if we have to pay for everything personally that the city is required to do? The city won’t even open our swimming pool if it doesn’t make a profit. They also refuse to maintain our cemetery and the hydraulic canal if it isn’t profitable. Does council understand about collecting taxes and spending tax dollars wisely for infrastructure and quality of life programs (Quality of life for the citizens, not for the “fine people in the city building“)?

2. Josh, I applaud your trying to set aside infrastructure funds, but why would anyone think that putting money in a dedicated fund would be honored by council or anyone in the city building? We already have the Auto and Gas Fund (a dedicated fund) that is being misappropriated every year, including this year and last year. We have several enterprise funds that are dedicated funds that can only be spent for their original purpose. The citizens are over-billed for many of these funds, and the extra money illegally skimmed off for other purposes. It appears to me that what is legal and ethical has no effect on how council spends money.

3. To the people being forced to pay for curbs and gutters by the city. To see how honorable our city government is, take a drive out Tytus Ave. from Nelbar headed toward Franklin. You will notice that in their beautification program that only one side of the street has curbs and gutters. The city owns part of the frontage on the side of the street with no curbs and gutters. Our side of the street had to replace all driveway aprons (some were blacktop to the curb) with new concrete aprons while the city owned side not only had no curbs, gutters or concrete aprons but many aprons and driveways were (and are) gravel. Also, there is one section of curb and gutter missing on our side of the street were Webber and Ohio? Streets go off. Guess who owns that piece of property? When the city first started to resurface Tytus I was told that I had to replace nearly 80 feet of curb and gutter, but when the city decided to not have curbs and gutters on their side of the street they decided to pay for our curbs and gutters. The city replaced one five or six foot section of curb and gutter. When I asked about the other 70 something feet that I was going to be required to replace, I was told that if the city had to pay for it, it ready wasn’t so bad that it needed to be replaced. These are the same people that are deciding how much of your sidewalks and curb and gutter your going to pay to replace.

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 5:03am
a message sent from Council,
which goes right back at them:

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 8:19am
Very fitting , love Bob Dylan know one writes like he does!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 9:15am
Is there any real accountability in our city government. Mr. Kidd's point that there are already dedicated funds for street repair that aren't being used for that purpose is a case in point. How does the city move money in and out of line items and not get busted for it by the state? Could it be that the state is just as complicit by not auditing and prosecuting such misappropriations? Wouldn't this rise to the level of RICO?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 10:04am
There is a name for what goes on in city hall....it's called CORRUPTION !!!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Is there any real accountability in our city government. Mr. Kidd's point that there are already dedicated funds for street repair that aren't being used for that purpose is a case in point. How does the city move money in and out of line items and not get busted for it by the state? Could it be that the state is just as complicit by not auditing and prosecuting such misappropriations? Wouldn't this rise to the level of RICO?

I think there has been previous discussions on this forum pertaining to any criminal wrongdoing by the city as it relates to moving money around in a secretive manner and the city using money for other than its intended use. I believe the general consensus was that it would be difficult to bring enough evidence against the city to warrant enough attention from Columbus to send an army of auditors and investigators here to find out if there is criminal intent and to throw some of the city leaders in jail. Still can't believe that at least a few of the city leaders haven't done enough to have made them candidates for jail time. How much more would the town's leaders have to do to draw some interest from the state for criminal activity? Too bad, I'd like to see a few of them go to jail, have to give up their gravy train city position and have their little world come tumbin' down around them. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:01pm
The real tragedy associated with the movement (temporarily of course) of dedicated funds that were to e used only for street repair in 1986, is that no effort has been to make the initiative to restore the level in 25 years. Now what does that mean to you typical resident of Middletown? That means the roads and infratsucture are in decay and now cost hundreds of $Millions more than what would be required to spend otherwise. And more importantly, any one with a working brain, albeit a business or resident looking to move, would evaluate Middletown and not only have an immediate redflag, but question the dealings of interfacing with Middlteown in a city that takes no pride in iyself, nor its citizens. That is the trgic outcome of this scenario.

Now, lets evaluate the % the city is dedicating to roads in 2011. When one factors out the % for sidewalks and curbs, which of course, also have not been maintained, the city is spending < than .5% of its annual budget on road repair. I REPEAT, LESS THAN .5% of the budget, while 75-80% goes to salaries.

Mr. Laubach's plan was to raise it to approixmately 2%, so the expenditure is perhaps $2.5Mm. But, will city council even allow his initiative to get on the ballot before the fall election? Find out Mr. Laubach. The damage the city has done by this initiative (or lack thereof), is beyond comprehension.

Now, a final point. Do we note other instances that vaguely resemble Mr. Kidd's claim(s)? I think so. The new Clerk of Court is accusing the past Clerk of Court, our present County Commissioner Cindy Carpenter, of paying her staff from the fund Mr. Kidd is referring, which in part is associated with fees for registration for vehicles and such, which by Ohio law, is distributed back to counties, and they to their municipalities within. What does Cindy Carpenter say in response and the county prosecutor? Well, the prosecutor doesn't want to get involved and even have an Assistant Prosector render a lgeal opinion, and Cindy Carpenter, the illuminati of financial discipline, states, "gee, if I did something wrong for the past 10-15 years, why did not the Auditor of the State of Ohio find this discrepancy and tell me"? In others words, hey, its not my fault. Where was the auditor.

Vet, you now know why there is nothing the State would do, as from Cindy Carpenter's perspective, the money meant to be distributed from the County went to payimng her staff, that was supposed to fix the road system.

Give up? I have. This system is so broken and corruptable, and filled with so many loopholes, it would take 5 years to get an answer or anyone's attention. Sadly, the realty is this measly .5% of annual budgetary expense is so insignificant, its like putting mortar in a 1 inch hole in Hoover damn when it has cracks all over it (analogy only----the river drought presents far > problems than cracks in concrete at Hoover.) So, if we have this problem in Butler County and the Clerk using funds to pay her people, and ??? why wasn't the auditor in Ohio looking at these problems on my watch for decades, and Middletown isn't using $$$ for fixing roads, and may not be getting all of its $$$ anyway, that has been spent on payroll, who is watching the fox in the hen house, and isn't the reality, the Fox was letting in the fox into the henhoue anyway?

And we wonder why Ohio has an $8Bb shortfall, and the US---$14 Tt and growing monthly.          
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:20pm

Our street was done last summer. I do suggest that if your street is going to get repaired that  you find your OWN person to do the concrete work!!!!! I got a quote and it was a hell of a lot less than what the city wanted to charge (I had other concrete work to get done anyway). They did an awesome job too and was very happy the results. I am glad that I had picked my own person since the people who the city picked to do the concrete work did a piss poor job. My  all of my neighbors sidewalks look terrible...and they have to pay for the crappy work. It was a very low quality job. I know that my older neighbors next door had a lot of work done to their sidewalk and driveway apron. The sidewalk is very uneven, the brush job looks like someone in preschool did it, and what pissed me off is that they cut a piece out of their good part of sidewalk (I have no idea why) and didn't bother to replace it. They just filled it in with dirt, creating a trip hazzard...which goes against the point of fixing the sidewalks in the first place. Their apron looks ok, but it now collects water in front of it like a small lake. It sucks and I wish that the city had picked better contractors to do the work.

I don' t know if any of you guys watch the history channel, but they had a show on recently called The Crumbling of America..it seems the infrastructure of the entire US is falling apart..not just in Middletown. I guess St. Louis had a huge problem with their combined sewer systems and the EPA sued the city for billions since a lot of untreated waste was getting into the river. According to the program, the govt stopped helping cities front the bill for such things, so paying for it went to the city, then fell on the individual citizens. It is going on all over the place :(
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:27pm
Let me add ANOTHER REASON BUSINESS AND RESIDENTS OUTSIDE Middletown will not move in associated with the abuse of the street funds is the affect it has on all existing streets in Middletown, as they all are in bad shape. For most who know, and many who may be looking to move into Middletown (inclding of course, our good friends at Cincinnati State), city council and the leadership under Ron Olson, spent about $5 Mm of money allocated to streets to but the property for The Atriu, (they really needed that didn;t they?). Council members then included Perry Thatcher and Nancy Nix, and others well established within the city.

So, not only have we had the problem of no ordinance supporting a dedicated % to streets and repairs since 1986, but also the expenditure of nearly $5 Mm of those funds to be used to buy property for the hospital, that moved out of Middletown. That of course, is why we call Middletown: "Bright Past, Brighter Future", because of these constantly remarkable expenditures and decisions.

Good news---Taco Bell is remodeling and therefore, reinvesting in Middletown!

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 1:30pm

Lambaugh's 2% is already earmarked for policec/fire raises in the next contract.  The same contract which should be REDUCING salaries, not increasing them. 

onepercent, onepercent,onepercent, do I hear TWOpercent, twopercent, twopercent?...SOLD!!  To the crumbling idiots at Donham Plaza, a lovely overpaid public safety budget and a Bright Past Brighter Future ™!

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:18pm
I believe you or someone stated it as this in another thread:

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 2:59pm
Repair it yourself! Get a can of paint remover, remove the spray painted x'es, and voila!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 3:10pm
Better than that, get a sledgehammer, break it into tiny pieces, spray paint them and say not only repaired but I contributed artwork to our new "arts community" for beautification. If they tell you it's not repaired, you can tell them "but, it's art"!!!
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 3:45pm
Actually scouter, I did do that lol! There is a section that needed repair, but it was just a TINY chip out of the curb caused by a snowplow. The city was going to charge me 300+ bucks to replace the ENTIRE curb because of that chip..Even if they did replace it, what would happen if another snowplow caused another chip during the winter.

In all honesty, I don't think the city itself is putting the Xs on the areas that need replaced. The contracting company who will be doing the concrete work is... putting marks on everything to milk out as much work as possible... even if it doesn't really need to be replaced.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:01am
The sidewalk in front of my house got x'ed for two pads not because they were chipped or cracked or broken, but because the way they were originally poured wasn't a straight line between the two. Hopefully this little drawing looks right below. It was quite literally made that way, no other problems, yet they had to put the X on it. Stupid waste of time and money.

Normal               The way mine was POURED
-----|-----          ----\------
|    |    |          |    \    |
|    |    |          |    |    |
|    |    |          |    |    |
-----|-----          -----|-----

I know that asymetrical layout of my sidewalk just kept me up at night upset over how I was driving down my neighbors' property values.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:57am
Humm why was it poured that way?? If it isn't any type of hazzard....do what I did, and let the rain wash it away :)

Like I was saying, whoever is going to do the work looked for ANYTHING they could spray an X on to milk out the job. Oh I forgot to mention the city's quotes that they gave everyone on how much the overall work out cost was using the price of concrete 10 years ago.. so whatever the quote is, it will be A LOT HIGHER when you get the actual bill put on your taxes :( Another reason why I suggest everyone get their own bid if possible and hire your own contractor.

What will drive yours/neighbors property values down is the crap work the city hired contractors...believe me you will think your stuff looked great before, even if it is broken or chipped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic