FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Needs of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Needs of Middletown
    Posted: May 16 2011 at 9:49am
Mr. Kidd,

You bring up a good point about corruption in our government. Does anyone have an idea as to how many current lawsuits are pending against the city and what those suits are about? What is being done about these litigations and what is being done to prevent any further litigation?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 7:29am
Mr P,

I hope that we all can agree on this point: All council meetings should take place in council chambers. I won't vote for anyone who can't agree to this.

School performance is something we all agree needs to improve. City council can have some influence there but that job is mainly the focus of the school board. I've heard plenty of argument concerning what needs to be done and I'll wait to see if the present board has any success before I offer any further comment.

I also agree that corruption must be removed from the city government. The example must be set that violations of the law while a public servant cannot and will not be tolerated. We must also bring this city back into compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. This city can't afford lawsuits and expensive litigation; we have more important problems to solve.

Removing "harrassment" laws and excessive fines and fees for businesses seems a  "no-brainer". How do you ever expect to attract business when the expense of doing business in our town is high and the threat of government interference is always hanging over your head?

More efficient and effective government within the constraints of a balanced budget should always be the goal.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 4:05am

November???  What test in November???

You gentlemen seem to be forgetting something:  Before people can VOTE for someone such as you describe, someone such as you describe must be found and convinced to run!!!
There are THREE at-large seats and the remaining two years of the Ward One seat up for grabs in November...and so far, no one seems to be interested!!!

This means the machine shall win AGAIN!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 9:44pm

The only way to save Middletown is to make it attractive to businesses and citizens!

Our city government thinks that to attract businesses and people they must:

1. Have one of the poorest performing school systems in the state. (#599 out of 612 districts)

2. Have crumbling infrastructure.

3. Have an overbearing corrupt government (using zoning, “international housing code” and sign ordinances to run businesses out and to keep them out).

4. Have an overbearing corrupt government that refuses to do its responsibilities (repairing the streets, opening the swimming pool, maintain the parks and the cemetery, take care of the hydraulic canal, separate the combined sewers and on and on) that steals every dime they can from the citizens and businesses.

5. Have an overbearing corrupt government that would install red light cameras with illegally short yellow light timing setting up an entrapment, just to steal more money. (Some citations were sent out even when the driver got stopped. I guess that they wanted to steal more money than the entrapment would bring in and thought that many people would pay rather than lose two days of work and have to put up with our kangaroo court.)

5. Having government that pays the highest pay scale for those that made and used recordings between attorneys and their clients and other corruption that has helped destroy our city.

6. Having government that seem to think that having some of the highest property and income taxes plus any other way they can steal money is a real attraction. (paying for curbs and gutters when stimulus money was used, paying for your own streets while stealing millions for the Auto and Gas Fund, using the “international housing code” to steal money [ remember the 160 citations that were issued to businesses downtown for violations that ranged in severity from “bare light bulb to a stain on a ceiling tile“. Each of those were hauled into court and fined $100 plus court cost. I believe that none of those businesses are still in Middletown] and sign ordinance {remember suing Lennie Robinson using this ordinance).

7. This list could go on for many more pages of what is wrong, but what is most important is what can we do to improve the negatives and add many more positives.

My opinion of how to turn our city around:

1. Government should be open to the most scrutiny possible. No more secret and semi-secret meeting out of sight of the public unless absolutely necessary.

2. Attracting jobs should be the #1, #2 and #3 priority. More jobs means more people moving into more vacant homes, more tax dollars and less need for section 8 housing.

3. Every dime that the city receives must be spent wisely and for its intended purpose. Especially money for our streets, sewer separation, cemetery, parks and swimming pool (I don’t think a pool that is paid for with our tax dollars should have to make a profit - where do all of our tax dollars go? Certainly not to help the citizens). Income tax should be lowered to 1%. 1% of a billion is better than 1.75% of a million.

4. Corruption must be rooted out of our city building. We cannot build a new future with the same city employees that destroyed the old one. I am tired of hearing “we want to look forward not look back” which is city speak for let the crooks keep right on doing as they wish. Anyone involved in the recording , handling, use or knowledge of the recordings of conversations between attorneys and their clients in the city jail should be fired and held personally responsible for the civil rights violations they committed. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled eight or ten years ago that civil rights violators must take personal responsibility and not hide behind their government job or insurance company. Those that committed the crimes should be repaying the city (we the citizens) for every dime spent keeping them out of prison. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the corruption in our city building. Because of the corruption the jail should be closed (use the county jail like Hamilton does) saving us millions of dollars in cost and millions more from not being sued. The Middletown court should be cut to the minimum since most corruption could not go on without the support of the court. The prosecution should be cut to bare minimum. It was the court and the prosecution’s use of the recordings that got Middletown sued. Not to mention prosecuting business for bare light bulbs or a stain on a ceiling tile. Does anyone believe that harassing and hauling into court struggling businessmen over such nonsense will help us attract jobs? Is that really what we want our prosecutors and court doing? Or do we want them to bring down the high crime rate. (I know a stain on ceiling tile is considered a high crime in Middletown, But I think robbery, rape, murder and theft should be a priority.)

To be continued

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 11:12am
Vet - The true test of this will be on the first Tuesday in November. That is when you have to defeat the apathy syndrome. A gathering to organize a plan that will be acceptable to the voting majority is what is needed along with ways to communicate that message to the voters. Without that, malcontents and troublemakers are all we are!!! Anyone can point and say that's wrong; if we are to overcome the apathy of the voters on election day, we must offer a different vision. A town of 50,000 doesn't need a large organization; MMF proves that!!! What we need is an EFFECTIVE organization; one that has a plan, is able to articulate the plan and has the will and support to implement the plan. That being said, first things first: THE PLAN!!! That's the purpose of this thread, what do you think we need to do; that leads to the how to get it done!!! Angry people have to be given a reason to care if you wish to break their apathy. They have to believe that it's worth doing something about and that the effort won't be wasted. What's that Gen. Patton quote; "America loves a winner and will not tolerate a loser!" To break apathy here, you'll have to convince the voting public to show up and vote for candidates who will support this plan and that those candidates actually get elected.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 6:43am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Vet - I recognize the problem. What I'm concerned with at the moment is a coherent plan that citizens can support. Once we have a plan and candidates for council who will back it, then we can work those problems out. It's more important to me to articulate what I'm for than just run against someone.

Tony, I understand your thinking, agree with your gameplan and would support any and all efforts to meet for the purpose of a coherent plan. I also support your idea of selecting our type of candidates, one's that have no special agendas, do not owe any favors to anyone in the city, put the people's wants and needs first, will sponsor and vote for any and all ideas, laws, econ. dev., downsizing of Section 8, making jobs a priority, etc. etc.

HOWEVER (But)......(Just like Mike, there's always a "but")......the gathering of people has been tried numerous times as has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Again, for the umpteenth time, we, who would support this cause, are fighting the apathy syndrome. The citizens will not organize in this town......they'll complain for sure.....but they won't organize.....and the city leaders know it. This is why the citizenry is not taken seriously in this town. We are no threat to City Hall. They know that there is alot of anger in this town (and they don't care). They also know that those angry people will never gather for the purpose of organizing. Not enough commitment from a majority. Just pockets of "malcontents"/"troublemakers" and "hooligans" like us who occasionally ruffle their feathers. I don't see a solution to channeling all that anger into an organized effort to "throw the bums out" and replace them (and One Donham Plaza) with competent people. Needs to be done for the welfare of this city.....but if you ain't got the people in sizable numbers, it's a waste of time trying, IMO.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 3:04pm
Vet - I recognize the problem. What I'm concerned with at the moment is a coherent plan that citizens can support. Once we have a plan and candidates for council who will back it, then we can work those problems out. It's more important to me to articulate what I'm for than just run against someone.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 12:13pm
TonyB...your ideas are fine. One problem we as residents of this town have in seeing any meaningful progress or change......the city manager, the econ. dev. department .....the city law director.....the city planner......most of city council......the MMF people......and other long time/want no change/our way or nothing at all/no new ideas are welcome type citizens are in the way and refuse to relinquish their stranglehold on the community.

Eliminate all listed above, and we can get on with the new and improved business of the city. Until the people have had enough nonsense from those listed above and until they do something about it in sizable numbers.....IMO, forget it. Don't see that happening due to, you guessed it........APATHY and an "I don't care anymore" attitude.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 11:09am
I've seen many comments about what needs to be done in Middletown. I'd like to put together some ideas to discuss in terms of budget, revenues, economic development and election of new council members in November. Since I have a few thoughts (surprise), I'll start.

In terms of budget, simply looking at the numbers, cuts are going to be made to services provided in the short term. Unless there are new revenues provided, those cuts will continue into the future. Even with a public safety and health levy, the level of service currently provided by the city will still be in the red. Some restructuring of personnel and departments will have to take place.

There are ways for the city to raise revenue and cut the budget. Selling certain assets could provide short term cash and a long term savings in subsidies. How to do that and maintain some kind of local control has been the dilemma and I'd like to offer a suggestion. I would like the city to consider what I call "The Green Bay Packer" option. For those of you who don't know, the Packers are the only pro football team owned by the public and that public are the citizens of Green Bay. They are run by an executive committee elected by the shareholders who are Green Bay citizens. What if we took that concept and applied it to certain assets of the city. The airport and the golf course come to mind. The one asset where this could provide an immediate benefit is Sunset Pool. The city sells these assets in an offering of stock that can only be purchased by citizens of Middletown. The shareholders then elect an executive committee to run these assets. Now they become private, for profit companies and the benefits of free enterprise can take over. The city gets some immediate cash and now is out from under the yearly subsidies. I do not know the legality of this under Ohio law but this would be something to look into.

I've heard a great deal about how Middletown has nothing to offer to get people to move to town. It's obvious to me that we need to provide some kind of incentive that would make Middletown more attractive to business and new residents. I'm not a businessman so I would be interested in what kinds of actions need to take place here to attract business and grow our local economy. I have some ideas for attracting business downtown and it starts with the idea that you want an "arts community" there. It's my belief that for an arts community to be sucessful, you have to provide something that can't be gotten at home. That something is live entertainment. There has to be a reason for people to come downtown more than one a month for the PAC to survive. Live entertainment would stimulate development of the currently empty storefronts downtown. We have two theaters within two blocks of Central and Broad. The city owns the Studio Theater and is planning to demolish the building. I think that's a mistake. I've also heard all the problems associated with rehabbing the building. I stil think it would be worth the effort because of potential benefits to develop the downtown in accords with the current vision. The obvious kicker there would be if we get a strong committment from Cincinnati State. An arts community downtown with a wide variety of live entertainment would provide the necessary economic boost that could make downtown Middletown thrive.

I also have an idea about how to attract new residents. This has a lot to do with the buildings in town and how we spend CDBG and NSP funds. In the case of NSP specifically, I was surprised at the mindset behind the current program. I understand the idea behind it but I believe our program has missed the point. What makes a home affordable for someone of low to middle income are the secondary bills; electricity, water and waste disposal. The most difficult bills for those on fixed incomes and low to middle incomes are the heating and electric bill in the winter. The idea of NSP is to rehab the house to make it "the best" in the current neighborhood. Currently, that is being interpreted as "best looking" house in the neighborhood. I looked at the spending sheet on 1103 14th ave. and out of the $72k spent on the rehab, not one dollar was spent in the energy efficiency category! If you want to make that house the best in the neighborhood, you should be thinkink easiest to maintain and afford as well as cosmetic appearance; in fact, "appearance" should be way down the list. IMO, if you'd like to make this city an attractive place for residents, attract them with the concept of energy efficiency and affordability!!! IMO, all new building in the city should be based on those two principles.

As far as new elections, who is out there that would be willing to take an agenda formulated by the citizens instead of by committee? What other changes do we need to make our government more efficient, effective and responsive to the needs of the community? I'd like to offer the suggestion that if this city is not in compliance with current state and local laws and regulations, that we do so immediately!!! It should be the first priority of a new council.

Hope that's a start. I know there are many out there with good ideas. Let's do something about this town if we'd like to move forward. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this town will never be the way it was. Let's stop trying to go back and create a new town where we are proud to reside.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic