FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5/17/2011 Workbook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5/17/2011 Workbook
    Posted: May 14 2011 at 3:30am

There were several things that made me go “hmm” in the workbook for this week’s city council meeting.

The first thing was on page 12 of 71 of the workbook, wherein the minutes of the last council meeting indicate that Mr. Smith actually solicited volunteers during his council comments to assist in his paid duties as an “We Are Ohio” employee. I don’t recall this. Perhaps I was on a restroom break.

The next thing that made me go “hmm” was found in the April 12, 2011, BOARD OF HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT MINUTES. On page 19 of 71 of the workbook, Environmental Health Director, Carla Ealy, reported:

“Last month Janay and I attended a public swimming pool meeting held by Ohio Department of Health regarding the new rules that were effective April 1st. The main revision of the rules is regarding spray grounds. We have two located in Middletown, Smith Park and Douglas Park; however, only Douglas is licensable. This is determined by whether or not the water recirculates. Recirculated water requires a disinfection system. There are other minor updates for public swimming pools that we will address during our routine inspections.”

Hmm…???

I was actually quite excited to read about ORDINANCE NO. O2011-23, beginning on page 42 of 71 of the workbook. Finally, some light manufacturing jobs may be on the horizon, even if they aren’t the highest paying sort. After all, not everyone in Middletown is a brain surgeon or rocket scientist, and everyone never will be. We need good jobs for mechanics and trades people. Then, on page 44 of 71 of this item, Section 3 Purchase Price, paragraph iii, popped up this item that made me go Hmmm:

“City’s Community Improvement Corporation, Middletown Moving Forward, shall receive ten percent (10%) of the Purchase Price minus deductions number 3i and 3ii, not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00)”

And in Section 4:

“The City may at any time assign any or all of its rights and duties under this Memorandum and it appendices to Middletown Moving Forward

Nowhere does it list anything for MMF to do to earn this money. Oh well, times are tough, and everyone has to wet their beaks, I guess. It’s a good thing that Law Director Landen has his eagle eyes pealed for any sings of impropriety!!!

And last, but certainly not least, there is RESOLUTION NO. R2011-10. This is the one that gets the ball rolling for the for a property tax levy “to supplement the general fund”. Something about “public health” they claim. Hmm…wasn’t the last payroll tax all about “public safety”, or did it also go into the general fund and partially get used to make up a deficit???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:31am
Can't thank you enough for posting this info, Mr.Presta.
Anyone who doesn't grasp the significance of these issues and directions needs to slowly re-read what was posted and fully grasp what is being said.

The core meaning(by my interpretation) is that our city admin has no intention to change--BUSINESS AS USUAL--despite the shrinking revenue pool. More siphoned funding for MMF for exactly whom and for what? Could we get a current roster of MMF's membership, accomplishments and intent?

Looks as if the combined Health Dept/public safety .5% is little more than another way to fill the general fund black hole, with no guarantees mentioned about future health dept. and public safety responsibilities.

This direction should be absolutely frightening to any citizen who owns property anmd/or is significantly employed or operating a business locally and is intent on continuing to reside within Middletown.

With a possible lame duck Council coming to a close, beware of serious last minute legislation(probably "emergencied") to ram through a very controversial agenda.

Hopefully current Council will have many ?s and comments about this workbook agenda.
But we probably should know better.

Isee this agenda as probably the most important indication of admin intent since the discovery of the MMF documents found in the city manager's office.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 9:43am
Arguably, it would appear as Les landen is the name assigned to MMF, and its intent seems to be to push the city leadership agenda, and not the residents, I think there is a serious violation of ethics and perhaps legally, associated with the city taking and authorizing tax payer funds for $5,000. for their own agenda. I thimk enough evidence is compouned, that the state AG should be contacted about some of these questionable practices. This one is blatant.

The health department is just a cloak to pusk for more taxes, all the while the residents home values just falll like rock. For those interested, take an average weekly of what Middletown homes sell for. The average is well below $100 Kk, and the highest I have found in nearly 4 months, is $160.000. Homes on dVinci have one in foreclosure and sitting, and another listed for $499 Kk a few years ago is $299 Kk, and still overpriced. And more taxes are needed?

Middletownians, you have lost your marbles if you don't defeat all levies, the renewal up to 1.75%. How many ploice chiefs have been promoted since Becker was city manager? By my count, I believe at least three, in a period of about 5 years. All these 'promotions' to get a higher pension, and then they retire in 2-3 years, and then the next one is in line. Really disgusting.

City hall never cared about the citizens, never will, its all about their agenda, ergo, the protection exerted through MMF. This needs to stop. How about getting out and voting Middletown for a change and altering self mutuliation associated with apathy and ignorance?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:12am
I could not agree more that we need to vote for change in this town. Change to what is the real question.

The money that MMF is getting is legit in terms of the law. As the CIC in Middletown, they are legally authorized to receive that kind of fee or payment. I'm not as concerned with them getting money as much as I am about HOW they're spending it!!! As the non-profit Community Improvement Corporation, the money should be spent on that function, not electioneering!!! Has anyone seen minutes from the board meetings of this group? How about balance sheets and activities planned? I'd be interested in seeing that!!! ;)

The point about police chiefs I find interesting since the MJ article implied that the current chief feels the current system "forces" him to retire. I'd prefer that Department heads be retained for as long as that person is effective and wants to remain. Mandatory retirement seems just as crazy as encouraging early retirement for someone.

I don't think anyone should worry about a levy passing here. I can't see any support for it no matter how good the cause. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

... Has anyone seen minutes from the board meetings of this group? ...
I watch city politics probably more closely than the average citizen, and I have reviewed nearly every city council workbook since they have been available on-line, but--to the best of my recollection--I have never seen minutes from the board meeting of that group.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 9:43am
Mr P,

If MMF is indeed a city created board, shouldn't they be required to hold regular meetings and have the minutes of those meetings submitted to council? Isn't there some requirement for any city appointed board to do that? I wonder what this group does and why they don't make the citizens of Middletown aware of their activities.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 6:58pm
The city doesn't pay property taxes!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 7:52pm

The $5,000 was plucked from the pockets of MMF!!! They will now have to dig a little deeper into their OWN pockets to fund their chosen candidates for city council this fall.

Thank you Ms. Scott-Jones!!!

That is one small victory for The People!!!

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 8:34pm
Absolutely, Mike
Ms.Scott Jones is the best of the lot.
Mr.Picard might be OK also

Great job TonyB!!
You were right on the money, even though they didn't want to hear it.
Once again, our extremely biased mayor intimidated you off the podium, then allowed Mr.Lewis and his team to ramble for 15+ minutes about the bash.

A true mayor is there to unite instead of advance a personal agenda.
This is where Mayor Mulligan has been a tremendous disappointment.
Next time he mentions any time constraints, you should ignore him and just keep going.

We finally have the Council/Admin at their most vulnerable.
All we need to do is sink the .5% levy(which would all go into the general fund--we won't be fooled again), and they are on their knees.

Talked to 3 stellar. popular and successful business-owning citizens about seeking office.
Told them that I would run as a team with them, trying to sweep a majority into office(let Ms.Scott Jones be the next mayor!). Either take us as a group, or suffer through more of the sos.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Talked to 3 stellar. popular and successful business-owning citizens about seeking office.
Told them that I would run as a team with them, trying to sweep a majority into office(let Ms.Scott Jones be the next mayor!). Either take us as a group, or suffer through more of the sos.
Clap Clap Clap  Finally, some light at the end of the tunnel !!      
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 11:14pm
spiderjohn,

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the encouragement. It was interesting that after they decided to go into executive session that Ms. Scott-Jones came over and said virtually the same thing to me about NSP. She also encouraged me to keep coming to council meetings and bringing up points of interests. She also told me that she felt that she was elected to ask questions and push for what is in the best interests of the citizens and I believe that her actions demonstrate that committment.

Your news is much more exciting. If there is anything I can do to help "The Gang of Four" (that has a nice ring to it!!! lol) please let me know!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 6:37am
obviously I spoke prematurely.
Only in discussion stage
I will only run if the other three run, and that probably won't happen.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 8:19am
spiderjohn,

Didn't mean to jump the gun. Maybe we need someone to lobby (beg) these three to run with you!!! If it would help, I'd be happy to respectfully request that the 4 of you together please come and rescue our city!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 9:34am
Welcome back Mr. Marconi, we missed you. You are able to run unopposed. Others will stay as MMF probably can't even find anyone willing to run. Life continues in Middletown, no change, status quo, falling off cliff. I mean for the residents of course, the city beast continues a comfortable existence.

Heard several health professionals ticked Jackie Philips spent time preparing for the presentation on the levy to council than to attend the county Emergency and Disaster activities. Regionalization? A no show at a county preparation event. Sad. Just say NO in the fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic