FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The City Budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The City Budget
    Posted: May 16 2011 at 9:53am

5/16/11

Part One

Recently on Burbank St., a 75 year old man was murdered and robbed in the privacy of his own home. Our Police caught the drug-crazed idiot and have put him away.

I wonder if that tragedy could have been avoided if we could have gotten some action over the last two years. Mr. Picard and I had attempted to get something done but we ran into a lot of political foolishness from the principal of Mayfield Elementary and the School Board. I hold them partly responsible.

However, that is not the end of it. There are a lot more elderly and a lot more hoodlum vermin in the neighborhood that want to prey on the elderly, disabled and those that live alone. They are constantly prowling around at night breaking into garages and cars and attempting to get into peoples homes. People are living in fear.

I ask council now to please get it stopped and get crime under control now in the Mayfield area.

Mr. Picard we hope you will press the issue.

This situation is the ultimate argument for supporting our police and fire departments in this budget crisis. Its my opinion, we can support our public safety requirements and some other basic services financially without any levies, if council will take a different point of view in solving our budget problems rather than the normal bureaucratic approach that you are taking now.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 9:55am

Part Two

What I ask council to do is to approach the budget as you would your home budget. Approach the budget as a citizen who finds himself in a recession that has taken away his job and source of income with no new jobs for him. I ask council to approach the budget like a businessman who finds he is in a major recession/depression and his business is going under. Approach the budget with common sense instead of bureaucratic manipulation.

What would a prudent man do?

What he is going to do is what Mr. Picard has suggested. He is going to look down the road several years to see how he can best take care of his family. What he’ll see is this;

The country was sold out to Globalization by George H. Bush and Bill Clinton. One a Republican and the other a Democrat. So there is plenty of blame to go around for all of our politicians. They out-sourced our businesses so our jobs are gone and put us in debt for Trillions of dollars.

Our national debt is now about fourteen trillion dollars and growing. We are now owned by China, Japan and the Middle east. China will call us on payment at the time it is most useful to them. In a few months we shall officially be the second most powerful economic nation in the world. The first most powerful economic nation will be China followed by India.

All of us together cannot comprehend the impact of a trillion dollars of debt not to say anything about fourteen trillion dollars. Our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren can’t pay for it. Some one criticized me saying I talked about too many generations. Well, My estimates are charitable. Considering that we now have children having children, I consider a generation to be 17 to 22 years not the old 33 years. The conclusion is our financially strapped citizen is broke and survival is vital.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 9:57am

Part Three

As a result of our national deficits, our citizen sees that all states across the United States are either financially broke or will be. What is still to come is the impact of more residential home foreclosures and then the foreclosures of commercial real estate which will further devastate our economy. That, of course, sifts down to the economic impact on municipalities like ours.

THAT IS THE PLIGHT OF OUR CITIZEN. So, what will the citizen do next. He will do everything he has to do to get financially secure and solvent. Nothing will be off the table. He will not let his emotions or his loyalties to any special interests interfere. He knows that being partial to his pet projects will ruin him.

He will minimize his spending, He will cut everything he has to in order to pay out as little as possible. He will sell every asset he has to get rid of debt. He will get rid of any employees and do more himself, he will reduce his families allowance, He will get as liquid as he can, he will set aside an emergency/reserve fund and then he will sit down and plan a budget to survive for as long as he can under his real financial picture. He will plan the budget for the longest scenario necessary to survive the crisis. When things get better he will not go into bringing things back to where they could be. He will grow into it as circumstances allow. He will fight any attempt by the federal, State or municipal government to put on his back any tax beyond what he considers his fair share whether obvious or deceptively hidden and resolve that all bureaucrats pay and receive only the same as every other citizen. Municipal bureaucrats will put more tax burdens on the taxpayer (who is already taxed to the max now) and brag about it saying look what we did to save our city.

Municipalities will, with this approach, out-source and sell whatever they must to get solvent and reduce cost s. Then they will offer only the basic services required by law for the present distress and increase services as circumstances allow. They will increase or decrease employees as the circumstances demand, They will pay employees a fair salary or wage if that is not acceptable to the employees then they shall out-source them and do what is in the best interest of all citizens and not just that of the employees. They shall maintain that policy throughout without regard to outside pressures. The municipality will make it known to the public that they intend to provide basic services such as police and fire protection, infra-structure and create the best circumstances possible for economic development.. They will create a financial environment that will attract businesses and jobs.

This is the approach that a prudent, honest person will take.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 10:59am
Mr Nagy,

I applaud the common sense that you espouse here. My fear is that since common sense tends not to be so common, we will once again be deceived by individuals and groups not in possession of this resource. I believe we need a government that is a reflection of its citizenry which is what you're advocating here. How to achieve that goal is the real question and I hope the voters will recognize what is in their best interests and vote accordingly this November.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 11:22am

Part Four

How does this apply to Middletown? Well, I’ll be specific and pull no punches. This is what I believe that council can and must do to make our city financially strong and turn the city in an entirely new direction. I believe if they fail they should be held accountable and take the responsibility and the consequences.

Everything must be on the table. It includes: Spending, Cuts, Out-Sourcing, Regionalization, Taxes, Public Employees, Size of our bureaucracy, Transparency in our financial department, Our Reserves, City-owned real estate, Services, Economic Development and Infrastructure, Pet Projects and Special Interests. In addition, it should include anything not mentioned here.

Mr. Picard is right. We must make decisions that will take us down the road several years. We must not be short sighted.

We MUST get into crisis mode. We are in a crisis. Council keeps telling us there is no money and there could be a 3.7 million dollar deficit. We must put everything on the table as Mr. Becker has stated. However, Mr. Becker you can’t say that on one side of your mouth and then on the other side say you will not give a penny to road paving until Public Safety is adequately funded. That’s showing your bias and not putting everything on the table. I believe we can do both if we set that as our goal.

We must stop ALL unnecessary spending.

We MUST make all necessary cuts.

We must regionalize where it makes sense and our needs don’t put a lopsided burden on our neighbors.

We MUST cut back on some services. We need to minimize services back to the basics. We MUST NOT play games with it. Public Safety, Infrastructure and Economic Development.

We Must do some outsourcing where it is profitable and beneficial to the City. We must not out-source artificial services just so we can look like we are outsourcing. This is what the Administration is doing now and it is a joke.

We must eliminate debt. The price of the golf course, the airport and other assets is the amount of the cities debt we need to eliminate. We must also keep our 15% reserve.

We must sell assets! This includes the golf course, the airport and every piece of real estate . The buyers will not be able to move these assets. They will still be in Middletown.

We must get the city out of the real estate business. This Administration has proven they do not know what they are doing and they only know how to destroy the city with their real estate investments. We MUST turn our real estate needs over to Professional Real Estate Brokers in the city.

We MUST get our finances under control. We MUST stop all underhanded and secret manipulation of funds from one account to another. We must be open and transparent.

We MUST NOT put our financial burdens unnecessarily on the backs of the citizens. They are already carrying more that their fair share of the load.

No Public Safety Levy!

No Health Levy! It is totally unnecessary!

Remove the $3.50 charge for street lights. We have already been paying for it. It is a hidden tax.

Stop the Camera traffic light fines. We got along for decades without them. It is just another hidden tax. It outrages the citizenry.

Stop raising water/sewer fees without the consent of the governed. We have had two recently and it is just another tax. It most likely will not be used for water/sewer costs. Its just another tax.

Postpone the sewer work on Lefferson until better economic times. Patch the roads and wait. Its all in timing.

We MUST get liquid. In two or three years we can start to restore special interest .services. Right now the timing for all of these things being put on the backs of the citizens is wrong.

I was ashamed I lived in this city when at the last business meeting the plight of our elderly was ignored and the burden was placed on the backs of those widows and others on Lefferson. Council should be ashamed. They will be held accountable in Judgment Day if not sooner. The pompous rantings of Les Landen and Jackie Phillips were nauseating. I expect it of Landen but was shocked by Jackie Phillips. She is a person who has worked hard to educate herself and get where she is. She personally has helped many people directly and through her church. We love her. That wasn’t the Jackie Phillips we know and love. What made her change her love for the elderly and their burdens to the bureaucratic whip? What changes good people like her when they get in the bureaucracy? The fact is that those who are paid by taxpayer dollars don’t know anything about recession. Their salary continues because of the taxpayers. They ignore the hardships of economic downturns because their employers (the taxpayers) continue their wages.

We MUST change our image. Our image to ourselves and the rest of the world is constantly getting worst. Everything this administration does is incompetent, negative, confusing and extremely costly. They are underhanded and vindictive. Council MUST get rid of them. Change the Administrtion leadership and you will change the image of Middletown overnight. I am talking specifically about City Manager Judy Gilliland, City law Director Les Landen, City Planning Commisioner Marty Kohler, and Section Eight Zsar Doug Adkins. This will send a very strong message that we have a new day in Middletown. This action alone will attract new businesses. This Administration MUST be held accountable for losing the Wausau Paper expansion. There was no effort and those who are guilty must be held accountable and dismissed not deceitfully put in other positions.

In order to attract new business we MUST give a five year tax deferment to new businesses. This doesn’t cost us a thing. It simply gives new businesses a chance to get started. They will be paying taxes in sixty months. It entices them to come to our city. Otherwise, we continue to go without.

Don’t fall for the foolishness tomorrow night about Middletown Moving Forward. It is illegal the way it is set up with City employees on it. Council will come down with it because of complicity. That also goes for the illegal Historic District baloney. If it flies, then every Ward should create its own government. This is pet projects at its most arrogant and deceptive level.

We MUST change our image!

I was going to go to council and present this but they would not give me enough time and I am not up to it right now, health-wise.

I hope everyone will consider this and make these the issues for this coming election. The city can further change our image and show they care by getting out and vote and registering everyone they can in their ward and get out and vote. Don’t let the machine/Middletown Moving Forward sway the election again. You can make a difference this time by replacing the majority(4) of Council at the poles in November.

We Must change our city government at the poles.

Thank you.

Paul Nagy

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 5:10am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

...I hope the voters will recognize what is in their best interests and vote accordingly this November.
Mr. B.:
While I concur with your repeated attempts to get out the vote, I fear that you are putting the cart before the horse.
No number of voters will do the least bit of good if the only candidates on the ballot are those put there by MMF.

I know of no efforts by anyone to find good, honest common sense candidates for the three at-large seats nor the remaining 2 years of the Ward One seat that will be up for election in November.  I don't think anyone has even pulled petitions.

Exactly who do you propose that the folks vote for???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 7:29am
Mr P,

You are correct that I am encouraging voters to vote for fictional candidates at this point. I know of no one who is running, even among the current council members no one has stated their intention to run as for as I know. I'm not even sure how you would find out who is running or going to run. It's not as if the MJ cover this since it couldn't be considered "good news". What would you suggest? Should there be a meeting for interested candidates? Who would sponsor it? How could it be advertised? Would anyone show up? I have no answers to any of these questions. I'm attempting to stimulate dialogue to find some common ground so that whoever decides to run, the voters can determine their intentions. I'd prefer to have someone to vote for but this would give candidates something to run on instead of just running against the current administration. I guess I'm naive enough to think there will be a choice; I hope that proves true.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic