FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Friday Downtown Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MCVB View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Friday Downtown Middletown
    Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:47pm
 Every First Friday of the month from 5-9 enjoy shopping and viewing the art in the heart of Middletown's Art Central District. There is always something different to see or featured at Middletown First Friday Art Hop stops.  Included are BeauVerre Riordan Stained Glass Studios and the specialty stores and artist inside, Digital Visuals, Middletown Art Center, Middletown Public Library, Pendleton Art Center, Upper Arlington Antiques, and @ the Square Restaurant.  In the building at 1054 Central Avenue that houses multiple studios and specialty stores is BeauVerre Riordan Stained Glass Studios. View the art of stained glass from the oldest continually operating studio in the US. The Walden Gallery is home to the largest collection of award winning Chris Walden original paintings. On the second floor visit the elegant gift shop Bella “a unique boutique" and purchase gifts for all your friends. While you’re at it why not pamper yourself. Bella also has an amazing selection of jewelry for sell. Hollywood Dance Attire sells dance wear for all ages. Legacy Fineart creates graphic art for clients around the tri-state. Legacy specialize in photography and Gieclee' prints. The newest addition is Art Avenue Custom Framing with the most current technology for all your framing needs. Alpha Dawg Records presents “BeauVerre on the Square Concert Series” every First Friday with genres of musical acts each month for your pleasure. Digital Visuals, off the beaten path has a group of different artist featured each month. Linda Fisler the artist in residence will be unveiling 3 new paintings this month. Middletown Art Center host series of shows in their gallery to view all year long. Stop by and see who’s hanging around. Don't forget the Middletown Public Library and view their collection of local artist displayed through out the library. The Pendleton Art Center (PAC) has over 100 artist and craftsmen represented in the building. Come and see the artist that will be present that evening as they open their studios to the public for the Art Hop. All About You has a snack bar inside if you get hungry while you shop.  It’s been said it’s the only place in town you can pick up a freshly homemade Vegan Burger. Hop on over to Upper Arlington Antiques or dine @ the Square Restaurant to round out your evening on Central Ave in the Art Central District.
MCVB Downtown Events
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 10:50pm

I genuinely encourage everyone who is so inclined to patronize these local events for any objets d’art that may strike their fancy.

I also hope that the City has some mechanism in place to tax the legitimate income (of both resident and non-resident artisans) that is produced through such sales, in order to begin to recapture the public funds that were used to enable these facilities.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 6:41am
Nice writeup about the early stages in the attempt to bring the arts to Middletown. It is worded just the way one would read a real estate ad about location and convienence to shopping etc.

An observation concerning this little blurb....

(I will stereotype here as to the descriptions used below)

I find it ironic that we have an arts segment just starting up here with the city leaders blessing, and, at the same time, we have those same city leaders who are bound and determined to bring in a group of people who are about as far away from this segment of society as one can get. In the mix, we have a group of folks who enjoy abstracts, classical music, opera, sipping wine, eating veggy burgers, are "culturally correct", mind their manners and enjoy the "finer things in life" and in the other corner, we have a growing percentage of the community who enjoy beer, eating real meat, watching NASCAR, adopting country music or rap as their musical theme, like to "party", sometimes get loud and obnoxious and wouldn't walk across the street to see any form of art, much less buy any of it.

It is a strange mixture of diversity they are creating here. A town theme of being the "Section 8 capital of SW Ohio", a low income community and in the early stages of a ghetto and, at the same time, attempting to draw people from all directions to this little "cultured arts world" of theirs. IMO, the majority of this town, based on the working blue collar theme, will never embrace the arts. Most are not suited to fit into that segment. The support for the arts, if it is to succeed, will have to come from outside the city. I would imagine the arts would only appeal to less than 2-3% of the city residents. This whole program is desired and provided by the city for a few to benefit a few. I see no eye-opening impact that will change the fortunes of this town as to prosperity with this concept. It is a minor player as to importance.
Marlayne Skeens View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlayne Skeens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 12:03pm
Hey Everyone ~

Tonight is the 1st Friday Art Hop in Middletown, Ohio !!!!

5-9:00 pm @ The Pendleton Art Center ~ Great things happening in Middletown Tonight. Last Wednesday was the Broad Street Bash ~ Great Crowd ~ Let's keep it going !!!!!

Middletown has a LOT to Offer ~ Take the time to look @ what is here ~ something for everyone !!!!!!

I will actually be working for Miss Selby Soaps tonight, as she is not able to be there in person ~ Her product is WONDERFUL ~ Priced affordable for all :-) There is such great talent in our community ~ come down for a look ~ Art, Jewelry, Paintings, Furniture, Good Food, Laughter, Fun ~ I can't even begin to tell you everything that you will see ~ The last 2 Art Hops brought in over 2,000 + people to Enjoy the night ~ Other businesses will be open ~ Did you know that Middletown has the MOST FAMOUS STAINED GLASS BOUTIQUE IN THE WORLD ???? YES, Right here in MIDDLETOWN ~ We have Much to be Proud of !!!!! Upstairs in the Glass Boutique are other Great Shops also ~ More Art, Dance Fashions & Bella Boutique ~ Great gifts. Buy 1 for yourself !!!! I LOVE IT !!! I LOVE MIDDLETOWN !!!!!!

As You Know I am a Realtor w/Real Living Realty Services, so I can't go without saying, Middleton and surrounding areas have many Beautiful Homes for sale @ Great Prices. Middletown is a Great Place to Live ~ Yes, we have our problems like every other town ~ we have been up & down ~ We are on our way back up !!!!!! We may not be where we were years ago with ARMCO; However, We CAN & WILL BE AS GOOD AS WE USE TO BE, ONLY DIFFERENT ~ Give us a chance ~ Come see what YOUR TOWN has to OFFER !! Don't forget that Middletown can & is a great Bedroom community ~ Work In Cincinnati or Dayton ~ We are right in The Middle !!!! CLOSE TO EVERYTHING !!!! Doesn't take that much time to get from here to there & back Home to your cozy bed :-) Don't Count Middletown Out !!!!!! 

I HOPE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT !!!!!!!

I offer Professional, Ethical Service and a Smile,
while Following The Golden Rule ~ Thank You :-)
*For ALL Your Real Estate Needs Call Marlayne with Real Living Realty Services @ 513-465-6747
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 1:19pm
Vet,

I tried to explain that the PAC wouldn't make any significant dent in terms of economic impact. Your idea that the arts would only appeal to 2-3% is completely accurate if you compare the city's population with First Friday attendance figures. I think the city has missed the boat in terms of what will actually draw 2-3% more than once a month. I've said it before; live entertainment is what will draw people downtown on a consistent basis. You have to give people an option that they simply can't get at home; that option is live entertainment!!! Instead, the city's going to demolish one theater and I don't know how long the Sorg will last under its present management. We won't even discuss the Cincy State mystery!!!
Marlayne Skeens View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlayne Skeens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 11:11pm
Just came back from the Pendleton Art Center & once again ~ a Good turn out !!! I must say, the PAC is more than ART. It's about coming to town and visiting with good people of all makes and models Smile Govenor Square had music, which was very nice Smile I heard people talking about having dinner @ The Square ~ that it was very good. My husband says it's more about getting out in downtown like he use to do, than The Art ~ I believe many feel this way & it doesn't matter why you come out to these Fun things, it's that you come and Enjoy Clap 
I offer Professional, Ethical Service and a Smile,
while Following The Golden Rule ~ Thank You :-)
*For ALL Your Real Estate Needs Call Marlayne with Real Living Realty Services @ 513-465-6747
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic