FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6/21 Meeting workbook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6/21 Meeting workbook
    Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 2:41am

All that I’ve had time to do tonight is to skim the workbook for Tuesday night’s meeting. While I hope to do a more thorough review before the meeting, I thought that I should at least bring one item to everyone’s attention now.

Beginning on page 136 of 146 of the workbook, you will find Legislation Item 9: Resolution R2011-17.

This is a resolution to place a one-half mill (outside millage) property tax increase on the November 8th ballot. I am unsure how much this equals in pizzas (the monetary unit preferred by City Hall when when bloviating about how little tax increases will cost the average homeowner)!!! Big%20smile

Don’t expect this to be the last tax increase you see Council propose this year.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 7:59am
I expect them to tell us how bad it will get if we don't give them mo money.

Well heres my answer to any I say any new taxes.

Hell No!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 8:47am
Middletown's leadership and city council over a 25-30 year period, have done more to DESTROY home owner equity in the city limits, than any other force or entity imaginable by wateful policies, cronyism, and complete failure to maintain roads and infrastructure deliberately, what arguably could be construed with malice, towards its citizens.

And the city which did so muc damage that your house value is taken back 20 years as to where it was, is expecting the citizens to pass a property tax levy? Do any of you know what impact this has on ever getting new residents into town, knowing this non stop plan to raaise taxes while few if any businesses move in? It is devasting. Where is council leadership on these issues. I can state as previously pointed out, a 4,000 squate ft home with 3 fire places, on 3 acres bordering the Arboretum, sold last August for 150,000 which had a tax value of 240,000. I know many homes which are values less today than what the owner paid 22 years ago.

Factoring in future present value and inflation, a 200,000. home bought 20 years ago would have to sell for about 360,000, to break even when factoring in inflation. Now that same home has lost value below what was paid two decades ago.

I said it before: there is no need to take time to encourage a handful to run for office, its futile. Its time to organize and strike down everyone of these levies the city will be throwing in our direction. A property tax increase when the floor hasn't fallen and your property below WWII free fall, and the city is so cowardly it has made little to any cuts, and actually expects residents to pay higher property taxes when I would imagine the city's property values in Ohio rank among the very lowest, attributed to the city's destruction and bruing Tara and its residents. 

Its time to strike these Draconian measures down with a fist at the ballot box. Where in the name of common sense is city council on these issues , when the Governor is doing everything possible to invigorate Ohio by tax cuts and public sector cuts, because the state is losing jobs and revenue? And Middletown's plan is to riase taxes? That's your solution Ms. G. referenced as it always is: it's called revenue generation through taxation as opposed to bringing in business. The city is running residents off in droves.    
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 10:21am
absolutely bo and acclaro
acclaro's assesment of the situation is on the $$

As the late great Thomas Rapp would say(bent over and pointing his finger):
"I'm votin' NOOOOOOOOOO!!!.................."

SORRY---but no way I give more $$ to those currently in charge. They have squandered everything.
Starve them into submission, then re-build from the ground up. We literally have nothing left to lose, and this may well be our last opportunity b4 they find a way to pick our pockets without having any say whatsoever.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 4:46pm
Spider
The citizens will never pass another levy.

The City Officials have changed the natural balance of our community over the past 20 years and we are now seeing the results of their actions. Combine this with the wasteful spending and no vision and you have the perfect storm. Three years ago while other communities were making cuts Middletown did nothing and considered the down turn a “a bump in the road”....and now we have the lastest "Downtown Folly" that will be a money pit for the next ten years as we watch these buildings crumble.  

As I drive around
Middletown I do not see any “FOR SALE” signs on any of the properties that are now owned by the City. Why is that?

Sunset Park also needs to be sold for high end condos with a private swimming pool and tennis courts since the city doesn't have the money and time to care for it.
Expensive land for the doggies...don't ya think? Maybe we need to also consider this same solution for Weather Wax.

MsPacman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsPacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 6:00pm
Pacman Says...

Let me keep this simple...

Two NO Votes Here!!
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 8:34pm
When hell freezes over will are spinless ones get a yes vote out of the 2 of us here.Until Everyone of the ones occupying seats now are out are votes will be NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 12:49am

On page 24 of 126 of the workbook, we find Ms. Gilleland bemoaning the fact that, outside of public safety, the City has only 58 employees remaining. This may still be too many, Ms. G., if some of the 58 have time to look for and perform extra work--such as demolishing Sunset Pool!!!

On page 57 of 126 of the workbook, in the minutes of the 5/10/2011 Board of Health meeting, you can read that “Council appeared to be receptive about placing a health levy on the ballot.” Well, that’s a good bet. It seems that most of the Council members have never seen a tax that they did NOT support.  Just look back at the record of past levies and increases not only proposed by the City of Middletown, but also by any other taxing entity in the area.  Most of these folks are on record as supporting them all.

On page 64 of 126 of the workbook, among a listing of “Governmental Revenues”, you might note that “Fines and Forfeits” in our fair city have increased from $61,212 in 2009 to $208,660 in 2010 to a projected $259,300 this year. Quite a percentage increase year-over-year, in this man’s opinion. I’ll leave you all to draw your own conclusions as to the reasons, but there were all of those “peeling paint” citations and they are considering adding more red light cameras to “enhance revenues”, aren’t they???

On page 79 of 126 of the workbook you will find the Staff Report on the South Main Street decorative street light petition. You will see that under “CONFORMITY TO CITY POLICY”, it states: “Conforms”!!!

I must respectfully disagree with this conclusion. If we have a “City Policy” requiring all city taxpayers to subsidize the extra costs when a neighborhood decides upon a motif for that neighborhood that is more expensive than the rest of the city, then that “Policy” is unfair, illegal and should be changed. Consider the homes on Roosevelt Blvd., Stanley St., and Highland St. directly across from Goldman Park. If 60% of these homeowners signed a petition stating that they wanted chrome-plated street-lamp poles with green neon rings at the top and other decorative touches, should the 40% of dissenting property owners be forced to pay up and go along??? And should the taxpayers be forced to pay half the bill since city-owned Goldman Park amounts to half the abutting property??? Absurd, you say??? Possibly, but the point is exactly the same!!! It would “Conform” exactly the same as the “olde tyme” gas lights that the South Main Street gang wants. Just because it happens to suit their chosen décor, doesn’t mean the rest of the taxpayers should help foot the bill.

The first consideration should be: Does it meet the City’s standards for illumination??? If not, let them put such lights on their own property (outside the right-of-way) at their own expense. Second, would they cost more for the city to operate or maintain??? If so, same answer!!!  Let's remember the true, actual primary reasons for street lights:  To illuminute the immediate area for the safety and security of pedestrians and motorists, and to assist in preventing vandalism and crime.  Decoration and "Let's pretend we still live back in the 1800s" should be at the expense of the individual property owners.

I might also ask the picky “restorationists” if they plan to use actual, restored street lamps or the phoney, fake “faux” type and just “pretend” like they are the real thing??? (Read through the minutes of the Historic Commission meetings and you will see the DOUBLE STANDARDs applied regarding “real restoration” v. “faux restoration” depending upon whether friend or foe is the applicant or “inquisitee”.

Also, before Council even considers spending scarce tax dollars on these faux olde tyme gas lights, perhaps they should explain not only how the “petition for street repairs” policy can be subverted to include such decorative items, but how S. Main Street was chosen for repairs at no cost to the abutting property owners in the first place.

I had occasion to drive up and down this stretch of our city’s infrastructure just last week on the way to and from Councilman Smith’s District Discussion, and I must say that I find it hard to believe that this stretch was the worst segment of that very trip, let alone of all streets in the City. Since these property owners seem to have money to spare for frivolous items such as faux old new gas lights, perhaps this is one segment that could wait for the “petition” process, to be repaired at the property owners’ expense, and let some of the less fortunate in the city be the recipient of the “free” (100% taxpayer funded) street repairs.

Last, but not least, we see an executive session scheduled:  "To consider the purchase of property for public purposes, or for the sale of property at competitive bidding, if premature disclosure of information would give an unfair competitive or bargaining advantage." 
The last time they used this excuse, the came right out of the executive session and voted to make the purchase--on an EMERGENCY BASIS, of course!!!  Now if, like last time, they are going to come right out of the executive session and vote whether or not to make the purchase, on an emergency basis, then NOTHING that was discussed in the executive session could possibly have given anyone a "premature disclosure" had it been discussed in the open meeting right before the vote.  In fact, the ONLY WAY anything shady could possibly happen is DURING the EXECUTIVE SESSION!!!
It's a good thing that we have F Lee Landon around to make sure that everything is on the up-and-up!!! LOL LOL LOL 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 7:08am
What the city has done to its residents has been repugnant at best, and criminal at worse. None that city on council are or have been Republicans, they are all RHON's as the philosophy is to always take short-cuts, and the short-cut is tax increase than business development. The y must be defeated and booted out of office. And these fines you reference Mike are not associated with serious offenses, but minor ones with one intent---collecting cash in the quickest and easiest manner possible.

Lets assess the city and council to date. Ms. G. says the city will be happy to volunteer their time and work over bids to tear down Sunset pool, but they provide no service elsewhere. Don't pick up ;eaves in the fall, don't repair roads, don't pave roads, do absolutely nothing but position them,selves for the next tax hike for giving the residents nothing. The amount they have budgeted for road repairs is less than 1% of the annual budget, and < than what will be spent on acquisition and maintenance of the Thatcher buildings and the added bonus of $70,000 to G. Pratt to weekly call the Cincinnato State hierarchy to get their update. When will that "study" by State be done, telling them how much opportunity there is in northern Ohio and souther of Dayton for them? In a year?

The city for almost 10 years, has made no effort to downsize or look for ways to add efficeincy and services while reducing cost. They yearly, put up phantom jobs they don't fill. Water is among the hghest in southern Ohio, the cash cow. I see more city trucks with two people in a vehicle just driving and sitting aimlessly, all over town. You have the same people always on council or running the school board, the same people who drive the city into the ground.

In my opinion, one of the most blatant power grabs occurred when they hred Husseman to come in and make $75 Kk to helping them find a city manager while he was the "yes" man for every initiative city and council wanted. He brought in Ms. G., that led to the consolidation and elimination of wards and the conyinuation of the precedent under Husseman servibg council, and that has been, the greater need of all citizens is overlooked while the needs of a few hundred take center stage. What has Ms. G. accomplished in her tenure, the rise of the east end---I don't think so, the rise of downtown---I don't think so.

And to its citizens, look what Middletown has been blessed and offered. The AK strike that plummeted house valuation and created an enormous housing stock. Council doesn't have a clue how much Section 8 they voted on (so they say). The outcome for the resident? Waiting for 2-3 years for the damae we hoped would lesson from the AK strike/ war, then the market collapse. From Ms. Andrew's point of view, she articulates much of what has occurred in school performance, or lack of, can be traced to the socio-economic policies and actions of council.

I have one question. Why is this being tolerated?      
MsPacman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsPacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:37pm
Pacman Says...

I find it odd that since the first red light cameras were installed, we had been told by council, administration, and police officials that they were for safety reasons. If you watch the June 7 work shop meeting it was suggested that more red light cameras be added as a tool for revenue generation.

Have we been lied to all these years? I'll let each individual determine that.

Pacman
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic