FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8/2/2011 workbook

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8/2/2011 workbook
    Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 10:58pm

I must apologize for not providing my usual input these past two weeks but I, like TonyB, have been having computer problems.  (I am on my second brand new computer in less than two weeks.  I was going to throw the last one out the window, but I was in the basement and I couldn’t lift it that high!!! LOL LOL LOL  Kudos to Best Buy, though, for quickly agreeing that the hard drive had, indeed, completely failed, and for exchanging it without delay or expense.)  Now if I could just get all of my Windows Works stuff to work on this #*@$(^%+ Windows 7 system!!! Angry

However, I did take the time to quickly skim through this week’s City Council workbook, and I was taken aback by the antics of the Historic Commission and their attack dog, Mr. Kohler.

Everyone should take the time to see the harassment that they are putting some folks through over items such as “minor deterioration of the mortar on the garage chimney”, “vines growing on siding”, and “Need to verify if the gutter liners are in waterproof condition”.

They are threatening to haul these folks before their Historic “inquisition” hearing court using process servers and the like.

Granted, these properties are located in their precious Historic District, but they harass owners of properties outside the Historic districts in the same manner and YOU could be next!!!

Yet you don’t hear any of them say a word as one of the most historic structures (the vault at Pioneer Cemetery) in our city (which actually IS located within a HISTORIC site) crumbles and the owner—the City of Middletown—turns a blind eye!!! 

You can read all about this hypocrisy by clicking here http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/council/08022011_w.pdf and scrolling down to pages 29 through 35.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 5:53am

RATS!!!  During these computer crashes and file transfers, I’ve somehow lost my super-secret file of “eyes only” telephone numbers!!! Shocked They are gone...gone, I tell you...lost in that vast emptiness that is cyber-space, never to be retrieved again. Cry

You know—the private numbers of U. S. Senators, Congressmen, Federal judges, City Council members, and other movers and shakers around Middletown that I call in the middle of the night to get me out of trouble or to get the inside info on the goings-on around town.

Woe is me!  Whatever will I do now???  Give up???  Nah!!!  Big%20smile

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 12:37am

For the love of Pete!!!

So I get home tonight, and turn on the second new computer (less than a week old) and up pops a big, fat warning that says “CPU fan failure!”

I do an F2 reboot and run the diagnostics and sure enough, the CPU fan failure is confirmed, with zero RPMs all the way across.

Now I’ve had to hook up my old, dying computer again, which is slowing wheezing through its last life to check this message board and pay a few bills.

I just got this second new computer set up almost the way I want it, and even though I’ve got a super-busy weekend planned, full of secret activities, I’m going to have to take time to pack up the new computer, haul it back to Best Buy, and likely set up a new one tomorrow.

Oh well, I’m certain that there are others with worse troubles.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 3:38am
So how the hell did ya get my top secret, gotta kill ya if I tell ya, know it all and highly touted middletown resident pacman's phone number?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

So how the hell did ya get my top secret, gotta kill ya if I tell ya, know it all and highly touted middletown resident pacman's phone number?
It was simple!!!
I have a friend whose son works for the Chinese government.  He gave it to me!!! Wink LOL LOL LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 3:49pm

Well, I just got back from Best Buy, and they were willing to replace my week-old computer with another brand new one, or even a comparable one of a different brand.  I was reticent, since I had spent untold hours transferring data and trying to get things structured the way I wanted them on this one and the identical one that crashed prior to this one.

The techie guy said that he could try replacing the CPU fan, and I replied that that would be fine with me, as long as it solves the problem.  So, he opened up my tower, peered inside, hooked up some wires and ran some sort of diagnostic tests, and excused himself.

A few seconds later, he came out of the back room with this HUGE rotary vane blower contraption—all shiny and chromed—with tubing akin to exhaust headers on a hot rod, and began removing the old blade-type fan—unplugging wires and removing tiny screws like a crazed race car mechanic during a pit stop.  Two other techies even came over to watch what he was doing!!!

The young kid having his laptop debugged at the next repair station stared with his eyes bugged out and in a reverent voice whispered “Cool!!!”

My techie got all the wires re-connected and everything secured (with very few parts left over) and fired the computer up again.  First there was a “whirrrr” followed by a satisfying “whooooosh”.  The Windows 7 logo appeared on the screen, with no “WARNING” in sight, and the techie just stood there with a smug grin for a brief second before pronouncing “I think you’re ready to go.”

I smiled, said thanks, and quipped “I’m gonna be the only kid on my block with one of those!!!  Can you leave the hood up, so I can show it off???”

Everyone within earshot, customers and techies alike, laughed.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2011 at 8:48pm
Quote It was simple!!!I have a friend whose son works for the Chinese government.  He gave it to me!!!

Damn Kid!! Can't keep nothin' secret!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2011 at 5:45am

You folks may recall that I told you that my computer took a dump (again) and I’ve been limping by on an old, slow, crippled unit with no sound, and that is plagued with the “This-program-must-close syndrome”.  (Hmm…”old, slow, and crippled”…that sounds like ME!!!  LOL!!!)

Well, I finally got my computer back from the shop earlier this (Saturday) evening after the Geek Squad had it for nearly two weeks.  Once again (for the third time since I bought it in July), all of the data is gone, as usual, but this time even the software that originally came with the thing seems to have been replaced with stuff that is almost, but not quite, the same. Of course the software that I had bought and loaded has vanished into some nether world.

I’ve been working for the last ten hours trying to reload the programs and data that I’ve lost, and I’ve been fairly successful in doing so, at least up to August 4, 2011, the point of my last back-up to an external hard drive.  (Yes, I know.  Shame on me—but I’d just gotten a brand new super-cooling fan installed just after that date in my brand new replacement computer for the brand new computer that I’d just bought a couple of weeks earlier!!!  And I’d also just decided to run for City Council at that point.)

So anyway, if anyone has sent me a phone number, address, email address, etc. since August 4, I no longer have it.

Anyway, now my computer is all fixed and they have assured me that nothing more can possibly go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..go wrong..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic