FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Some Answers & Giving My Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Some Answers & Giving My Opinion
    Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 7:32pm
I am not trying to pick on any one person, or trying to insult anyone.  I am just looking for some answers.  All of us who live in Middletown are looking for answers to the many questions involving the city's revitalization.  We all want to better the city, we all want jobs, we all want ammenities, we all want entertainment, we all want better schools, we all want retail establishments, we all want restuarants, we all want our roads fixed...  We all want to be brought into the 21st century rather than stagnating in the mid 20th century.  The problem as I see it and hear from the people on this website is that nobody is willing to pay for it.  Nobody wants new fees, nobody wants new taxes. just how is all of the above to come about?  As i look at it, it is not Middletowns job to provide jobs for the residents.  It is however, Middletowns job to provide a city which is vibrant, inviting, maintained in a manner that makes businesses and people want to locate and reside here.  that means maintaining the roads, maintaining the parks, keeping up with the surrounding area in manner that we are able to compete.  This will not happen and can not be done for free, someone has to pay for it. 
For the 2nd time in 2 years at election time we have heard that downtown is run by crooks, that the gas tax has been misused and not used for roads.  Can someone prove this?  Can someone provide me or this website with a law that states how the gas tax is to be spent?  Can someone provide financial documentation from the city showing where the gas tax has been spent for the last 4 years?  We continually get the accusation but no proof.  I am not saying that it hasn't happened, I'd just like somebody to prove to me that the money has been misused. 

Another issue is the Sunset Pool.  For 6 years I have listened to all the bitching about the pools.  Obviously the city residents do not support the pools financially by using them by using them so that they can remain open.  People have tried to raise money to keep the pools, but the residents have failed to step up to the plate.  It seems to me that Middletown has enough problems and issues to deal with that to continually harp on the pool issue is a waste of time, money and resources.

Middletown can no longer afford to sit around each year and wait for the Federal Government to dole out approximately $3.0M (+/-), so that Middletown can buy 10 houses and repair them and sell some of the for a loss,  tear down 30 or 40 condemned homes, and repairs on 50 other houses.  I know this is an oversimplification of how the funds are spent, but at this rate it will take 50-75 years for Middletown to just catch up.  We can longer just sit by and wait for the city to do what is needed in order for Middletown to survive. 

As Middletown stands now with it's poor infrastructure, accessive poverty, accessive section 8, lack of funds to make needed improvements, poor performing (which appear to improving) it is not appealing to businesses and residents and is dying on the vine.

Middletown needs to make drastic changes and have people at city hall and city council that think outside the box and do what is best for the city as a whole.  The city needs to stop concentrating on just satisfying small groups of people which in some cases total only 4 or 5 thousand and realize the city contains 50 thousand (+/-).  Mrs G seems to think that the downtown area is the heart and blood of Middletown, I disagree with this statement and believe that Middletowns futur and prosperity is on the East end. There needs to be "out of the box" thinking in dealing with the 3000 (+/-) vancant/condemned housing units that need to be demolished.  We can not simply deal with this issue by tearing 30, 40 or even 50 houses a year.

We can also not continue to spend a minimal amount on roadway infrasture and hope to ever catch up with our ailing roads.  Middletown will never see a robust retail, enterainment, restuarant environment as long as the city continues to cater to the level of poverty that it has, it must change it's way and begin attracting middle income residents. 

The city leadership needs to make revitalization of the mall and it's surrounding areas a top priority instead of allowing to languish and deteroriate.  The City needs to also look at 122 as it's main entry way into Middletown and deal the miriad of old 1960's/1970's style Strip Centers that litter this main roadway. 

Middletown City Council can no longer just sit by and wait for the city admin to come to them with ideas such as Cinci State, and the PAC which benefit very few people in this city.  We can not be buying buildings that cost small fortunes to remodel and maintain such as the Manchester. 

City Council needs to focus on "out of the box" ideas and thinking that will move Middletown forward.  Many times when watching Middletown City Council, I get the impression that most of them 1. do not want to be there 2. are bored and 3. have no clue or ideas on how to move Middletown forward.  I would suggest that if Middletown Council is so overwhelmed with meetings, that they do away with being on all these commissions and boards and allow the people that they appointed to do their job.  That way maybe City Council can put forth some ideas and plans to make major improvements to the city.

I realize that this is not necessarily City Councils job and this is what we have the City Administration for, but very little seems to be getting done in Middletown and we seem to always be moving in reverse.  The city and Council must analyse the city's negatives and improve them so that businesses will want to move to Middletown as well as middle income residents.  This is the only thing that will generate more income for the city.  To continually go on as we have for the last 6 years that I have been here will only hasten Middletowns decline.

The residents must also step forward and be willing to do what is best for city as a whole.  We can no longer sit here as we have for the last 3-4 years and talk about it.  Action must be taken by all.

PACMANCool

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 8:50pm
What is happening out on I-75?  Are we(city) in the loop?  Are we talking to our neighbors out there that depend on that interchange?  If all is well why don't we hear more from the Admin. about the progress going on out on the East side?  Bravo-most who donate time on boards and commissions do bring much too the table.  Overhead and how to manage it 101.  Many are toughing it out with not a whole lot of support and thats fine with me if it means this city gets involved.  $50,000 towards downtown, sorry but I just can't leave it alone. It would be better spent on P.R. lessons for the second floor.  Many are involved and making a difference.  IMO many city employees do care and know of the problems and appreciate the help with best intentions.  What happen to the Steering Comm. ?   Great post, sorry it had to be said. 
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 9:25pm
Swat:

Call me tomorrow. I have more very bad business news concerning Middletown. All related to actions of the city manager.

JagAngry
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 9:33pm
oh c'mon Jag, you can't float that out there and not fill us in.  You could've sent him a private message rather than teasin us all.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 3:22am

Pacman
Here are my thoughts on a few of these issues ….

Another issue is the Sunset Pool.  For 6 years I have listened to all the bitching about the pools. Obviously the city residents do not support the pools financially by using them by using them so that they can remain open.  People have tried to raise money to keep the pools, but the residents have failed to step up to the plate.  It seems to me that Middletown has enough problems and issues to deal with that to continually harp on the pool issue is a waste of time, money and resources.
Pacman, 10 years ago we had the opportunity to upgrade one of the pools with more water features to attract more kids and charge a higher fee…we took no action.
Then we decided to tear out Douglass Pool so we could save Sunset Pool…this was the first mistake
Now Sunset Pool is gone and we have nothing.
Why did we remove  Douglass Pool when it was smaller and in better condition?

Middletown can no longer afford to sit around each year and wait for the Federal Government to dole out approximately $3.0M (+/-), so that Middletown can buy 10 houses and repair them and sell some of the for a loss,  tear down 30 or 40 condemned homes, and repairs on 50 other houses.  I know this is an oversimplification of how the funds are spent, but at this rate it will take 50-75 years for Middletown to just catch up.  We can longer just sit by and wait for the city to do what is needed in order for Middletown to survive. 

Pacman, this was NSP Funds and I do not believe we be will getting further funding for this purpose. We wasted our chance to get a big bang from these bucks.
We have been using a percentage of CDBG Funds for years to demo old garages and empty houses in the 1st and 2nd wards.
I believe the majority of the housing that are now sitting empty are foreclosures.

As Middletown stands now with it's poor infrastructure, accessive poverty, accessive section 8, lack of funds to make needed improvements, poor performing (which appear to improving) it is not appealing to businesses and residents and is dying on the vine.

Pacman,  all of these problems are a result of  the poor decision making by City Hall and the Board of Education over the past 20 years
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 9:24am
PAC sorry but not seeing a easy fix for what past and present leaders have done,  accessive section 8 and what comes with that is what sent many packing like i did almost 6 years ago,  was born and raised in middletown spent 51 years and had crime all around me and said i had enough.. son and his wife also moved and bought homes here in lebanon, crime and schools is why my son moved.still waiting on grandchildSmile they wanted good schools..and i do not feel the need of packing my gun when i walk out my door any longer living in this city. leaders now seem to only care of who has fancy street lights and the hell with everything else,  this is in the cinn enquirer today,

Lebanon has been named one of Ohio's Best Hometowns for 2012 by Ohio Magazine. One town is chosen from each of the state's five regions.

Judging criteria included community spirit, education, entertainment, health and safety, business environment, culture and heritage.   does middletown meet any of that criteria ? IMO none of it, who caused this? leaders of past and present,  will middletown recover ? IMO no, will other cities allow middletown to pass its problems of onto them? not a snowball chance,  will young familes wanting good schools move to middletown? sorry but i have to look on the dark side of this one also..it hurts my heart seeing what middletown has become, but living a few miles down the road, the differance is like day and night.. god bless u pac and  all u good people wanting change from the maddness they have caused..

jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 9:41am
Neil:

I will try to release the info today. I need permission from my contact to do so.

Jag
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 10:19am
Vivian;

I am aware that those funds came from NSP.  whether we are waiting for NSP funds or CDBG funds 2 - 3 Millions dollars a year is inaddequate to deal with the problems that Middletown suffers from. 

The 3 thousands houses slated to be torn down from my understand are condemned buildings.  The last time I checked Middletown had a little over 1 thousand in foreclosure.  

The situation with the pool has become inmaterial as they are all gone now.  Too continue to dwell on the this is fruitless and we should move forward.

PACMANCool

Coachoutletstores View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coachoutletstores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

oh c'mon Jag, you can't float that out there and not fill us in.  You could've sent him a private message rather than teasin us all.

A handbag organiser is pink coach handbags an inlay that you insert into your purse or bag that provides space and pockets for coach signature handbag all of the items you carry around. For example, these handbag coach handbags online organisers have a small zippered section where you can store pens so they are quick and easy to find for when you need to write a check or sign a credit card receipt. discount Burberry Handbags The VIP Tintamar handbag organiser in particular has other compartments where you can store your smartphone, check book, and credit cards. This allows you to grab them quickly without having to fumble through piles of junk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic