FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

9/20 Council meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9/20 Council meeting
    Posted: Sep 19 2011 at 4:55am

Fellow Middletonians, I am back at my regular keyboard so my first order of business will be my usual review of, and commentary upon, the workbook for Tuesday evening’s City Council meeting.

From page 15 of 120 of the workbook (The May 4, 2011, Airport Commission meeting minutes):

The city and Duke energy are in the process of hooking up the electric to the septic system.”

Isn’t it interesting that at the same time that City Hall is forcing residents to connect to the City sewer system, we find out that the City is spending money on the septic system at the airport???

From page 19 of 120 of the workbook (The August 9, 2011, Board of Health meeting minutes), during a discussion of the proposed Health levy:

“Dr. Patrick-Concerned if the money will be put into the general fund and whether other

departments would be able to access the money.”

“When the levy is passed the city subsidy of $115,000 will remain in the general fund saving the

City more than half a million dollars over 5 years.”

I guess that we here at MUSA.com are not the only ones who have the suspicion that City Hall might “raid” funds earmarked for certain areas such as Public Safety or Health.

Legislation Item 1 (page 30 of 120):

This addition of money to the “Downtown Fund” remains shadowy in my view.  I hope that it includes everything that is needed to properly “mothball” buildings such as the decrepit Manchester.  It involves more than just draining the water lines and padlocking a few breakers.

Also this legislation, as do several others and as is usually the case, makes use of “account numbers” that convey very little meaning to the average citizen.  Worse yet, there is nowhere for a citizen to go to easily discern the meaning of any particular account number.  If I am elected, I promise to do my best to ensure that a complete listing of these accounts (along with a description of each account adequate to allow a reasonable person to understand what is covered by each account) will be available to any citizen via a link on the City’s website.

Legislation Item 8 (page 82 of 120):

This resolution for federal assistance and forbearance on the combined sewer problem has some merit.  What remains conspicuous by its absence is an accounting of the funds that have been (and are being) collected every month for this purpose as part of every water bill.  These monies have been collected for decades and should amount to tens of millions of dollars in enterprise funds by now.

Legislation Item 11 (page 115 of 120):

Finally, the restoration of the stonework at the vault in Pioneer Cemetery!!!  Kudos to the Cemetery Board!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic