FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mayor Mulligan Refuses To Debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 11:58am
I would think that "due" would be correct, however I find the whole sentence phrasing and context to be confusing and probably incorrect.

Why are they fooling with this nonsense after letting this city fall into such disarray. Swap shops, pawn shops, thrift shops, gold shops, NYC 1 thru 6 or more, etc.
Quality long-term businesses(large and small--retail, manufaturing, services and management) are leaving every day with liitle of substance coming in to replace them. City admin/Council has created an economic desert of a community, where their life support of funding is admin fees from fed subsidies. The working citizen and business owner has been tossed to the wolves AND CRIMINALS. Now "they" plan to cut public safety?  Remember when we approved the un-expired public safety levy? We were promised NO SERVICE CUTS through the life of the levy.

I don't see how anyone can support mayor Mulligan, or trumpet his accolmplishments.
M29---what do you like about his record?
We need change asap.
Mulligan--Mort-- etc + the same as we are getting now. NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER

I strongly support Mr.Nagy, Mr.Presta, Mr.Moore and one other at-large candidate.
I support the health levy IF ALL FUNDS go to that dept. I trust  and support Ms.Phillips and Health Dept.employees completely. The are a tremendous asset to our community, both businesses and citizens. We will not save any $$ by losing that dept.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 12:22pm
Well said sj. Mulligan(s), Mort, Picard, are the "happy ear" folks, They hear what they want, they see what they want, its all pleasant, the turn is just around the corner. Change is coming, they have a plan. Ambassadors and non profit higher education is the key to the turn-around. "May I take your coat and gloves good sir, and how about a cup of hot tea, welcome to Middletown."

They are a council awaiting fate's good fortune and turn, a council of Serendipity. 

What is council's greatest fear, and city hall? The crux of panic leading to MMF? Why, that would be the levy fall back to 1.5%, and not bump up to 2.%. So, Cincinnati State created protection for Main Street (in theory anyway), and more importantly, so the city could say they did something, all "happy ears" about C State II in Middletown, and of course, the absolute mandate to at least have 1.75%, preferrably 2.0% to "protect" students. Yes, we know its to protect the fat Beast (the overhead at One Donham Plaza), but that's what C State affords, the serendipity of it all. 

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 5:26pm
imo Mayor Mulligan has handled his campaign and this issue(parrticularly) very poorly.
He comes off arrogant, elitist, indifferent, smug and superior.

Kinda funny since his time on Council and as mayor has been a total disaster for everyone except his small circle of enablers(who are really his dependents). He has wasted more money and made more bad decisions than any prior mayor in my memory. He has been extremely divisive and judgemental also.

I know a lot of people whose names have shown up on his supporter list, often much to their surprise.
I ask them all why they support the man for re-election---most of the time, their eyes glaze over, and they mumble "I don't know". They are in no way impressed with his accomplishments, and pretty much rate Council/admin equal to how they view Obama and Congress(not very highly).

Much credit to Mr.Nagy for bringing on the challenge.
The failure to debate such broad differences on very important local situations is a travesty to local citizenry. You don't have to like or agree with either choice, however we should be well aware of their stances and solutions.

At least the MJ should ask key issue ?s individually, then place the answers side by side.
This IS an important election.

By all means--vote for Mr.Nagy, Mr. Moore, Ms.Scott Jones and Mr.Presta if possible
Those that disagree should vote their conscience.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 5:57pm

In Middletown, there is a ruling class in Donham- its been that way for decades. What you have seen in the past four years is the alignment with the Donham dynasty with the city council monarchy, its reign, its manifestation. It is not complete as there are still timetables serving as minor annoyances, the ward "non blue bloods" better suited for grooming the horses, scrubbing the floors, even a Governess perhaps, but they will be replaced soon enough.

For those whom are part of the rule, the dukes, duches, earl's, and squirer's, the monarchy will not be overthrown by peasants. The moat is too deep, the crowns and jewels, too rich. It is the crowning achievement. The monarchy of city hall has been united with the monarchy of city council. Magnificient, except for the effect upon the mere mortal, the every day citizen who popped into Middletown by mistake, and cannot escape its lurches..
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

In Middletown, there is a ruling class, and what you have seen for four years, is its reign, its manifestation. Power will not be relinguished without  MANY snake bites.

For those part of the rule, the dukes, duches, earl's, and squirer's, the monarchy will not be overthrown by  peasants. 
Acclaro,
It is possible...If all of us peasants stand together (and vote as a block)!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 6:30pm
Sir Mike, I am a mere Knight. Impossible to make up for those who would rather dig the earth for potatoes daily to serve their Masters, and have neither the means nor desire to cast out the monarchy with their vote. They are afraid they will be flogged 100 times over, if they do not keep the wood stacked high, and the carriage brass trim polished with mirror like perfection.  
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 6:49pm
whatever
the part of it all that is most maddening:
Larry Mulliganis REALLY a nice fun person whemn away from city govt. and in private
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 6:52pm
As much as I do not care for Mulligan as mayor, I just don't see the goods with Nagy. It took Nagy about 5 days to finally respond to an email from Mulligan. You can't compete with someone when you take that long to respond to anything.

When Nagy's campaign was first announced, I read about it on here. I believe Mike Presta got his own signatures, but Nagy relied upon people taking time out of their own day to drive to the CSN building and signing there. When I read the posts on here around that time I was just thinking how lazy can someone be that they actually expect people to do the work for them. If you want to run for an office, then you get off your butt and go door to door, or you go to your church, or you stand outside a supermarket. Who in the world waits for others to show up and sign?

If you don't have the money to compete with Mulligan, this is small town America and money isn't the issue. As far as debates, they aren't the issue either. Who in the world would have seen them? How many eligible voters are there in Middletown? And of those, how many would have watched the debates?

All Nagy and any other candidate has to do is put on your most comfortable walking shoes and get out where people are and shake hands like a crazy person. It doesn't cost any money to do that. Flyers would be helpful, so do them on your home computer. Less than $50 for paper and ink.

There are a couple Middletown groups on Facebook. Have any of you candidates engaged those people? One group has over 2,400 members with many discussing Middletown on a regular basis. Any online presence at all?

Does anyone know what kind of leadership experience Nagy has? All I have ever read about him in the past is that he tried to get Laura Williams removed from council. What kind of occupation does he have? What kind of groups is he a member? When has he been a leader in the past? Are any members of groups he has led in the past supporting his run for mayor now? Running to be a member of council is one thing, trying to take a leadership position is another and should be scrutinized more.

If you think you're going to win just because people are fed up, think again. People tend to vote more for who they want, rather than who they are against. Right now it appears Mulligan is running unopposed.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

whatever
the part of it all that is most maddening:
Larry Mulliganis REALLY a nice fun person whemn away from city govt. and in private
Spiderjohn,
I fully agree with you on that...and I hope that after the election he will have a lot more time away from city government and in private!!!  LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 7:18pm
good points, rhodes--no argument

however--Mr.Nagy is our only option to break the downward spiral at this time.
He is not in the best of health, however he can hold down the fort and stop the bleeding until the next generation of leaders step up to the plate. Mr.Nagy is honest, well-intentioned and willing--more than can be said for the rest of us.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 7:32pm

Rhodes,

First, you can bet the ranch on the fact that I absolutely did get nearly all (except for three or four, which were kindly obtained by a neighbor as the petitions certify) of my own signatures, and it certainly took its toll on me.

Just in case you are unaware, some of us have physical limitations which restrict our ability to do some of the traditional campaigning that you describe.  I certainly do not dispute the effectiveness.  In fact, I wish that I could do it.  But just as with turning around Middletown—“wishing” won’t make it happen.

I do have some alternate strategies that I will be implementing in the next two weeks, that I believe will at least partially replace the neighborhood canvassing. 

And I have been trying to get to the Facebook pages that "Kelly" and "Dot402001" were so kind to call to our attention.  However, even though I have been a Facebook member for quite some time, I use it mainly to follow family and friends who are out of state and 'though I’ve tried, my meager Facebook skills have not allowed me to find those two groups.  (If you are a member of one or both “groups”, PLEASE “invite” me!!)

I will be seeing some people who may be able to teach me how to do find "groups" later this evening.  (In fact, I should be in the shower right now!!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic