FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Health Department

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health Department
    Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 1:34pm

Question for today….
If in fact the Middletown Health Department made $88,000 from the sale of Vital Records last year, why is this section of the Health Dept being transferred to
Hamilton
?
Why would you transfer the only part of this department that brought in revenue??

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 2:20pm
Vivian,
I'm sure that there are other parts of the Health Dept. that bring in revenue;  inspections on restaurants, septic inspections; I'm sure there are others. The real question in any government service isn't whether it brings in revenue, it's the Return on Investment (ROI). There are always parts of government that provide revenues and others that provide service. When you take a part that provides a positive ROI like the Vital Records Section and transfer it out of a Health Dept already strapped for funds, you are, in essence, defunding the Health Department. It looks like the prelude to transferring all Health Department functions to Butler County; imo.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 2:50pm
Is that $88k gross or net?  Just because a service brings in some revenue it doesn't necessarily justify the expense of the personnel, overhead, etc.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 5:59am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Vivian,I'm sure that there are other parts of the Health Dept. that bring in revenue;  inspections on restaurants, septic inspections; I'm sure there are others. The real question in any government service isn't whether it brings in revenue, it's the Return on Investment (ROI). There are always parts of government that provide revenues and others that provide service. When you take a part that provides a positive ROI like the Vital Records Section and transfer it out of a Health Dept already strapped for funds, you are, in essence, defunding the Health Department. It looks like the prelude to transferring all Health Department functions to Butler County; imo.

Speaking of getting a return on investment.....

Not getting a good "ROI" on the taxpayer money being paid for the salaries of certain city building folks, are we. Pretty much a waste of hard-earned cash invested in these people.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 5:51pm
The girl that works the front desk is a temp so I guess they will let her go after the first of the year...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<FONT size=3 face="Comic Sans MS">The girl that works the front desk is a temp so I guess they will let her go after the first of the year...

Got a better idea. Let the temp at the front desk run the city and let the city manager go after the first of the year. Could she do any worse?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2011 at 7:35am
Having served on the Board of Health, I found that dept. to be the most functional and important dept.(other than police/fire) in the city. Maybe it should also be classified as public safety?

As I have stated repeatedly--ant services assumed by Butler County will come at a potentially higher price with much less personalized service.

Y'all will see.........
Life is cheap, but it ain't free......
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2011 at 8:28am
Spider
I really don't understand why they are so hell bent at getting rid of the Health Department while funding other SPECIAL PROJECTS
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2011 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Spider
I really don't understand why they are so hell bent at getting rid of the Health Department while funding other SPECIAL PROJECTS
Maybe they need the office space? LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic