FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emery cloth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emery cloth
    Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 6:22am

Our family will all be here for Thanksgiving, which includes a two-year-old and three infants (all about 8 months old), so I’ve been busy trying to “baby-proof” the house and preparing for all of these houseguests at one time. 

It’s been a very long time since I done any work, and even though I’ve got all tools required to do nearly anything, it’s been so long since I’ve used them that I can’t find most of them.  (Which is probably just as well, since I probably won’t remember how to use them anyway.)  Some of the ones that I can find are rusty and “froze up” (just like me) and need some attention before they will work (also just like me).

I’m telling you all of that to tell you this:  I also could not find my big old roll of emery cloth. (For those of you that may not be aware, “emery cloth” is a sandpaper-like material used for removing rust from metal parts, “dressing” steel or machine components, and for a variety of other uses, and has been a staple in my tool box ever since my dad introduced me to it, way back when I was a lad.)  So I went over to the local hardware emporium last night to buy a new roll.  I couldn’t find it, and the sad part is that the first four employees that I asked had no idea what I was talking about.  Granted, they were all younger than I (isn’t everyone?) and I must add that they seemed knowledgeable in the help that they were providing other customers.  As I was on my way out, I saw an older employee (not as old as I, but who is?) in the tool department.  I asked him if he knew what “emery cloth” was, and he looked at me and replied “Of course!  I used to be a machinist!”  I asked if they carried it because the others that I asked had no idea what I was talking about, and he said that he’d never seen it there.  We looked at each other, he shrugged, I shook my head, and we both began to chuckle.

I think that we both felt a little better last night for our short discussion.  Two old war horses, passing in the evening, both likely no longer practicing their chosen professions, yet somehow comforted that they shared a bit of knowledge that seems to be falling out of that “common knowledge” category.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 6:33am
Communication with the younger people works that way on topics such as vinyl records, reel to reel tape decks, decent music, muscle cars, old electronics, reel lawn mowers, the use of turpentine to clean paint brushes, port-a-walls for that instant white-wall tire look, fender skirts on cars, fizzie drink tablets, "Drink your Ovaltine" and many other out-ot-date topics. Like your emery cloth (grandpa use to keep it all the time in the toolbox), the younger set don't have a clue what was used in the past. Mike, you old codger. Time is passing us by. (Young people probably don't know what an "old codger" is either).
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 9:18am

Don't know what grit/grade you were looking for, but often times the plumbing department carries strip emery in small rolls. Usually about 120 grit, I believe. Smile 

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 12:21pm
Come to think of it, I think I bought a roll of emery strip myself about a year ago. As 409 said, I found it in the plumbing dept at Lowes I believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic