FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fire Fighter Layoffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire Fighter Layoffs
    Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 8:20pm
I'm Blind, So I don't I'll be running into any burning houses anytime soon.LOL
PacmanCool
NOLA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 2:18pm
No biggie Pacman; I did the same thing when I first read the article and had to ask.

I don't think the negotiations with the firemen are over so we won't know any real amounts. My inderstanding was there was/ is some give by the firemen but it wasn't what was being sought by the city. When I consider that and the other initiatives of this city administration, I am inclined to believe the firmen probably offered something.

I'm sure they would do background checks as well but it still comes to who applies. You and I may pass that part but I don't think I like the idea of running into a burning house!!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 1:42pm
1.) Nola thanks for correcting my error in my first post.  It was a stupid Blind mistake. lol

2.) I find it hard to believe the city would not accept pay reductions from the firefighters.  At a cost of about $100k per fire fighter, a 5% reduction in pay/benefits should yield enough to keep on 4-5 firefighter postions.  It seems the union always blames the city for not accepting offers. 

3.) A volunteer force in Middletown would certainly involve background checks and oversight of the volunteer force.

PacmanCool
NOLA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 9:21am
Again, I don't know exactly what was offered however I know pay reductions were offered, but that was not the perceived goal of the city. I think you will see part time firemen shortly; but I don't see how you an add even part time employees without cutting more full time positions. The cuts to the full time level was to make the budget numbers work. So adding part time firemen will require either an increase in the budget or a decrease in full time staffing to over come the expense.

How many firefighters are needed to have only one truck show up and start putting out the fire? I think they have 3 on the fire trucks now. An news report on Channel 9 said the Cincinnati Fire Department had 47 firefighters at one house fire. How many does it actually take?

The only thing holding up part timers and volunteers is the city staff; they make the decisions on staffing. What would be the cost to start a volunteer part time program? How would it be run and what qualifications would be required. Personally, I do not want most of the people I think would apply to even come close to my house or family.

So, what alternatives are there? What about a regional fire department? What about changing the type of calls they go on to reduce the number of times they are. It available to respond to?

The income tax for public safety which everyone calls a levy probably won't be renewed and will further these cuts regardless of who is in a firehouse. What plan is there for this? As well, this will also affect the police who are busy teaching families how to get along with each other and stopping our soon to be volunteer firemen from breaking into my house! Lol!!!!

As far as the MMF and the lack of presence of firemen at the meetings; who knows why they don't show up.... Maybe they have given up on trying to fight winless battles.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 8:35am
I was told that FF kept offering "Comp Time" which may save the City money this- But will still have to be paid next year--Does NOT save the City money. 

Station 84 — while in an ideal location 50 years ago — is now not serving as great of a need on Tytus Avenue.--I've said before, the City should look at placing fireshouses that would better serve the City.  Also placing enough fire fighters on an engine, so that 1 crew could enter a structure fire instead of waiting on a 2nd crew. 

Again, I am disappointed not see any Firefighters at the council meetings discussing how the city can give money to MMF for Sorg and then say we need to cut positions.  But I am sure we will see them come safety levy time.
Many communities in the area utilize volunteer firefighters in combination with the full timers.  The Middletownn FFD refuses to let this happen.
NOLA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 7:19am
The number of FF working per day is 16; the total number employed is approximately 70ish. Kettering started as a volunteer department and transitioned into a combination full time/ part time department. They actually pay their " volunteers" per hour when they work.

A key difference is population. Think about who your citizen volunteers will be and if you want them in your house!

As far as any negotiations by firefighters, I don't know what occurred in negotiations but I was told they made several offers but it appeared to them the plan has been to cut staffing regardless of any offer.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2011 at 9:21pm
It appears that the Middletown firefighters were not willing to renegotiate their salary/benefits to save any of the below fire positions.  If I am wrong about this, please someone, tel me.

Can someone also explain to me how Kettering which is smaller than Middletown, i believe.  But does have a larger population by about 5000-6000(if memory is correct) has about 52 full-time firefighters and 102 volunteer firefighters and we are going to get by with only 70+? It just does not make any sense.

Since the firefighters do not appear to be interested in saving postions.  I will vote no on the upcoming public safety levy in Novemeber 2012

PacmanCool

MIDDLETOWN — In roughly one week, the changes to the Middletown Division of Fire as outlined in the 2012 budget will go into effect.

But — for at least the first quarter — the fire department will operate as it is now.

In mid-November staffing levels were reduced to compensate for inflated overtime costs. An ambulance and a two-person crew was moved from Station 81 on Clinton Street to Station 84 on Tytus Avenue. That station’s three-person crew and a fire apparatus were taken out of service. Minimum staffing levels were reduced from 19 to 16 in the process.

The city of Middletown’s 2012 budget included $3.7 million in cuts and the reduction of nine firefighter positions — establishing a permanent minimum staffing level of 16.

Originally, six firefighters were to be laid off. Recently, however, an added retirement has saved one job. Five will now be laid off, effective Jan. 1.

Entering 2012, the fire department is in wait-and-see mode. Operationally, what unfolds in the second, third and fourth quarters of the year, according to fire Chief Steve Botts, is still to be decided.

“We didn’t lay anyone off (in 2011) — we were saving on overtime in the last quarter,” Botts said. “But when the positions are reduced in January, (then) going forward we’ll be saving salaries and wages for those positions as well as all the costs tied to them ... and that includes overtime. That’s what we need to be inside our budget in ’12.”

The department is now looking at making changes to response districts, shifting them in accordance with where personnel has been moved.

So while the medic crew moved from Station 81 to 84 is now able to respond quicker to emergency calls in the northeastern part of town, the bulk of its calls are still in the Clinton Street area, Botts said.

“What we can do is change the response districts — we can take the area furthest south and add that to (the area) covered by the headquarters’ medic crew,” he said of the fire house at 2300 Roosevelt Blvd. “When you do that, you want to give Medic 81 some northern territory. Again, our objective is to keep them balanced.”

Initially, Botts recommended closing Station 84 as part of 2012 budget cuts, saying research has suggested departments that fluctuate their use of fire stations confuse their communities as to whether neighborhood stations are open or not. Additionally, Station 84 is one of the older buildings used by the department — making capital expenses higher. Further, an analysis conducted by an outside agency concluded that of the fire stations, Station 84 — while in an ideal location 50 years ago — is now not serving as great of a need on Tytus Avenue.

The station’s closure is not off the table.

The fact only underlines the department’s ongoing challenges, Botts said.

“I just see us in a historic situation as a department providing service to a community,” he said. “People will look back 50 years from now and say, ‘How did they do it?’

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic