FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-07-2012 Council Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-07-2012 Council Meeting
    Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 10:00pm

City’s vote on land bank expected this month
By Michael D. Pitman, Staff Writer 9:19 PM Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MIDDLETOWN — City Council has yet to officially support Butler County’s efforts to form a land bank in order to deal with property blight.
    But council is set in two weeks to approve supporting the economic development tool which is being considered by the county commission.
    The commission has yet to move forward with forming the land bank, a quasi-public, nonprofit organization that can acquire vacant, abandoned, tax-foreclosed or other real estate property for rehabilitation and reuse. But it already has the support of Hamilton City Council.

Middletown
council Tuesday night introduced a resolution of support for the plan. Vice Mayor Dan Picard thinks the majority of council will vote later this month for the resolution.
    “It’s not the be all, end all of everything,” he said. “It’s something worth pursing so I think we should give it a shot. I think it’s important we should jump on board and participate.”
    Vacant and abandoned properties have become a problem in the county’s two largest cities,
Hamilton and Middletown
, which have been brought on by home foreclosures. City and county officials say one way to combat that problem is to form a land bank, also known as a County Land Reutilization Corporation.
    The county has seen a 500 percent increase in foreclosures since 1999, when there were about 500. There were 3,000 foreclosures filed in both 2009 and 2010, according to Thriving Communities Institute.
    Montgomery and Hamilton counties have already formed Land Reutilization Corporations.
    When City Council does vote, there will be at least one dissenting member.
    “I have issues of transferring, or creating an entity that would transfer, liability to property owners,” said Councilman Josh Laubach, the only member of council who has been vocally opposed to the concept. “In addition, there’s no money without borrowing or taking from another fund to provide for this.”
Fire union contract approved

City firefighters had agreed to no wage increases for 2012 and 2013, and to double their health care payments, according to a new three-year IAFF contract.
    City council ratified that agreement by approving the contract Tuesday by a 6-1 margin.
    “Would it be nice for them to take less? Of course it would,” said Picard. “But I don’t think it’s going to happen and I think it’s the best deal we could get.”
    Picard said he believes the city has done well at “holding the line” in negotiating union contracts in recent years, holding pay raises at zero or 1 percent.
    The contract allows for wages to be negotiated for 2014, the last year of the contract, except if council approves raises for nonunion and other union employees as dictated by a “me too” clause.
    The firefighters’ health care payment will increase from 7.5 percent to 15 percent. The contract will affect approximately 75 firefighters.
    Laubach voted against the contract.
    “The contract, in my opinion, is not affordable for the city, nor do I see it as a benefit for the citizens or the firefighters,” he said.
    Jon Harvey, IAFF 336 president, could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.
    Chelsey Levingston contributed to this report. Contact this reporter at (513) 820-2175 or michael.pitman@coxinc.com. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 6:14am
Middletown should participate in land banking? That means that the city will be extending it's real estate holdings to more than the buildings purchased in the Thatcher estate bail-out. I remember when the city leaders made the statement several years ago that they didn't want to be in the real estate business. It is an added headache for cities to acquire unwanted property in the city. What happened to the concept that when a property is abandoned/vacated/foreclosed (whatever term you want to use here), it reverts back to the lending institution who holds the deed to the property. They are responsible for the disposition of the property, not the city. Why isn't the city contacting all the banks who hold the deed to the vacated properties and telling them to deal with the disposition? The only thing the city should stick it's nose into is a concern for a timely disposition. You don't want property sitting vacant for years unattended, becoming an eyesore. THEN, the city should step in, contact the lending institution (found on the auditors website, right?) and force the deed holder to clean it up or lay a daily fine on them until it is remedied. All this is, is another headache for the city. Let the Section 8 slumlords buy them. Keep it in private hands. JMO
Jack Black View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 11:33am
Just think how many more single-family homes that Mr. Adkins can get his hands on?  How blissful that he can blow millions more in HUD funds to buy/fix-up these distressed properties only to sell them at a sizable loss later on!  We cannot tolerate your wasteful practices any longer!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 8:37am

A few notes on the 2-07-2012 City Council meeting:

Prior to voting to hire Steve Husemann as part-time Personnel Director, Councilman Smith asked how much we would be paying the former interim city manager (and chum of the current city manager).  It seemed that no one in the room could answer!!!  That didn’t bother any of our illustrious council members, though.  They voted to hire him anyway, regardless of not knowing his rate of pay.  Go figure!!!

During “Council Comments”, Councilwoman Mort stated: “You can learn a lot by reading minutes.” She is correct!!!  And no councilperson disputed the Tree Commission meeting minutes stating that City Council met and discussed combining the Tree Commission and Park Board, and directed Mr. Duritsch to take that action.  (My offer of a shiny new dime reward is still open to anyone who can provide a link to the BlipTV episode showing the council meeting where this took place.)  Reading the minutes of the last council meeting would’ve reminded council members that the PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD for the Title I and the CDBG Amended Plans did not end until February 16!!!  That didn’t seem to matter to council, though.  They voted unanimously to pass the Title I ordinance, and 6-1 to pass the CDBG ordinance.  That shows how much they care about PUBLIC COMMENTS.

Lastly, whether anyone has noticed or not, I have pretty much refrained from piling on AJ Smith throughout his trials and tribulations since his election to council, but I feel that I must comment now:

AJ, you might think you looked cool, but you looked juvenile.  From now on, remove your telephone earpiece thingie during the council meetings.  You aren’t impressing anyone (at least not anyone who is old enough to vote) and it is disrespectful to the citizens.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic