FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meyer's recruiting can't be stopped

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meyer's recruiting can't be stopped
    Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 11:27am
If anyone thought Urban Meyer would take a vacation once the hustle and bustle of National Signing Day passed, that person was poorly mistaken.
Just two weeks after securing the fourth-ranked recruiting class in the nation for 2012, according to recruiting outlet Rivals.com, the Buckeyes have already received commitments from the top two players in Ohio for the class of 2013.
Still four months away from completing their junior year in high school, defensive back Cameron Burrows of Trotwood-Madison High School in Trotwood, Ohio, and athlete Jalin Marshall of Middletown High School in Middletown, Ohio, rated seventh and 41st in the nation, respectively, by Rivals, have given verbal commitments to attend Ohio State.

http://www.thelantern.com/opinion/meyer-s-recruiting-can-t-be-stopped-1.2780415#.TzvaXFxSQjo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 12:01pm
Wonder how the rest of the Big 10 did on recruiting? Hopefully, Meyer can put together a game plan and develop the talent to compete in the league again. Last years 6 and 6 record with a bowl loss was disastrous under Fickel's leadership. The man was thrown into an impossible situation. Felt sorry for him on the sidelines during the losing with that "what do I do now" look on his face. He looked lost. Like to see Meyer bring some SEC into the Big 10. Open it up a little and lose that slow plodding running game that seems to happen too often in the league. Michigan had their year in the sun this year, whipping the Bucks. Now, it's time to start the Michigan losing years all over again. Michigan's coach actually has hope from last year. Let's wipe that smile off his face this year.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 3:21pm
Vet,

If Meyer tries to bring the SEC type game to Ohio State, he will be as successful as Rich Rod was at Michigan trying to bring the West Virginia offense there. Big Ten football is built on the slow, plodding running game because it is the only type of offense that consistently works in cold weather. Big Ten teams are built to win in the cold and wind of November, not in warm and sunny Florida!!! That's why Big Ten teams do so poorly in match-ups against SEC teams in warm weather bowl games. Let LSU or Alabama come to the Horseshoe or the Big House in late October or November and see how they do against teams that are built to win in the cold and the wind!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 3:55pm
TonyB- we could argue this til the end of time. I like OSU also. Wnatg to see them win 'em all. Root for the Big 10 as much as I can. Hold my nose when Michigan plays in bowl games but still hope they win because of the conference.

HOWEVER, I would be hard pressed to believe that the SEC would have trouble playing in any venue as, historically, they have had little trouble with Big 10 teams in regular season play or in bowl games. How many times has OSU had trouble with Florida? Many times, including the most recent bowl game. I would put Alabama, LSU or most SEC teams up against most leagues in any given situation in their respective standings in the conferences and feel confident they would make it close if not win most of the time.

It is what it is based on past seasons and repetitive performances. JMO
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 7:56am
Vet,

I think you missed the point of my post. It isn't who they play but where and when. It's easy to play that spread offense stuff when it's not 15 degrees with a 30 mph wind coming off of Lake Michigan!!! Like I said, let's see SEC teams play Wisconsin in November. I know it won't happen like that because the end of the year schedule is for conference games. I don't have anything against the SEC but they build their teams to win in their conference and don't have to factor the weather conditions into their team concepts like a Big Ten team does. Big Ten teams are built to win their conference games in October and November in cold weather venues which means they have to emphasize the running game. That's why, IMO, Big Ten teams have more difficulty in a bowl game. They've played the last half of their schedule in cold weather; they have upwards of 5 weeks off and then try to play a style of football they haven't played since September!!! Like I said, let's see the National Championship Game played at Lambeau Field the first week of January and see if an SEC team can handle that with the style that they play!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 12:01pm
"That's why, IMO, Big Ten teams have more difficulty in a bowl game"

"Big Ten teams are built to win their conference games in October and November in cold weather venues which means they have to emphasize the running game"

"They've played the last half of their schedule in cold weather; they have upwards of 5 weeks off and then try to play a style of football they haven't played since September!!"

TonyB quotes......

(SEC teams/warm weather teams have the same 5 weeks off from season end to the bowl game too, don't they? Don't see that as a factor here when making a comparison) The "cold weather" teams play most of the first half of the season in warmer weather, don't they? Don't know that the temp. adjustment would be that big of deal the latter half of the season.

Like I said, we could debate this til the end of time......

IMO. the Big Ten has more difficulty, not only on bowl games, but out of conference games WHEN THEY PLAY ANY TEAM WITH MORE TEAM SPEED, WHEN THEY PLAY A TEAM THAT SPREADS OUT THEIR DEFENSE AND WHEN THEY PLAY A TEAM THAT IS UP-TEMPO AND THROWS THE BALL ALL OVER THE FIELD. The fastest Big Ten team is a step or two slower than the typical SEC team, and speed usually outdoes size- IMO. SEC teams have faster defenses and certainly faster, up tempo speed of play. The Big Ten reminds me of the pros. Slower play development, take your time getting to the line to run the next play, slower straight ahead running, predictable passing. I just don't see your reasoning that cold weather will be an impossible hurdle for SEC teams. IMO, SEC speed trumps your cold weather theory.

Again, we could debate this and never reach a consensus. Nevertheless, I do enjoy the debate TonyB!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic