FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meet Your Public Servant----"Richie Rich"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meet Your Public Servant----"Richie Rich"
    Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 1:37pm
Every time I read the salaries of our illustrious public servants, I simply shake my head and think why did my crystal ball in the 1980's reveal 20 years later, the gig to be in, the gravy train to feast, was in public service.

With school and tax levies coming forth, we have a fire Chief and his overhead laden three Deputy Chiefs pulling down about $105,000. annually, plus the excellent retirement and medical benefits paid. We have a former and now retired Police Chief, who made $170,000. We have a school superintendent who started in Middletown as a former Assistant Superintendent and the only candidate available for Middletown schools, who I recall his entry salary was about $107,000. three years later and terrible performance still stuck on CI, making $147,000.

We have a teacher making $130,000. annually. We have so much blatant nepotism, it makes my head swim. Christy Jeffries, daughter of former police Sgt., transfers to Middletown from Oxford, no college degree, making nearly $80,000., at age 30. Newlin's son of the magistrate, $80,000 range while Dad makes about $106,000., and now all judges and magistrates can sit until age 70 on bench, so they can defer that nice max on social security payout at age 70. Why, we have Jackie Philips, who doesn't even have a department nor employees, as the Public Health czar, making $82,000 on her fererally funded contract with virtually no span of control. That is about $12,000 more than 2X dipper Pat Burg, head of Butler Cty Health, making now about $ 150,000. from her retirement, and $72,000 on her second bit of the apple in same position.

When does this end, the Wall Street salaries for people able to walk to work or ride a bike, no 30 mile commutes, no travel across the country, and surely, no stress and accountability? Perhaps at the voting booth, but as SR5 failed, I'm not optimistic.

Meet your neighbor and your public servant. His/ Her name is Richie Rich, the one driving the Lexis LS 400 and restored Porsche 911. Up is down, down is up, welcome to Greece.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 3:00pm
Those in the public world will come to the conclusion that you (we in the private sector) are jealous acclaro. They will say they earned every penny of our taxpayer money that supports them and deserve the high 5 and 6 figure salaries they receive. They will say that we private sector people don't understand what they put up with everyday. Have heard it from teachers who point out that they are powerless to change the classroom environment that prohibits them from doing their job...........

BUT......I don't see many of the public folks jumping over to the private sector to earn a living either. Don't see many eager to give up the collective bargaining benny nor the meager contributions they make to their health premiums and retirement either. Despite all their professed difficulties, I don't see many jumping at the opportunity to leap over the fence to the private sector side. Afraid of paying more toward the bennies, afraid of making less for a comparably skilled job requiring a comparable education, afraid of the fact that one could be let go with or without cause and no collective bargaining in existence, afraid of being downsized and afraid of the merit system of evaluation I guess.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 4:56pm
Well said, acclaro. The genie was let out of the bottle back in the 70's, 80's and 90's when, for the most part, times were good and the private sector was roaring for much of the time. No one cared much about the comparatively modest public sector pay and bennies. The brilliant people, though they didn't know it at the time, were the union negotiatiors. They probably didn't know that the last 10 years were going to be horrible for our economy (and for some sectors, go back 20 years) and the private sector but they sure "choose wisely" (see Indiana Jones). The real blame lies with the municipalities who during that time, have not had the cajones to put a stop to it. THe excuse is always "well, we have to pay market rate or we'll lose good employees". Or, as we've seen with Picard, blatant pandering for votes. Disgusting. Other than Kasich and his clumsy attempt at SB5, where are the municipal public servants who have some balls to put an end to this gravy train? Where are the innovative plans for outsourcing some city functions? Where is our savior!!!
middleman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 10:07pm
I agree that the chiefs, captains, lts, etc are so money  top heavy it is disturbing.  I read those readouts of public salaries every year and cannot believe how many police and fire are over 60k.  WOW.  I could not help to also notice public works with the exception of Dave Duritch no one was listed over 60k.  Harvey wants to say its overtime that drives the salaires up.  Don;t public works people do overtime on snow, water main breaks etc.  I see them out alot.   Somethings just don;t make sense.  If the beloved safety levy fails is Judy going to make us have fewer public services to pay for this money monster we have called public safety.  Geez
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 11:07am
We do not have any teacher making $130,000. The Journal listed Newell as a teacher; he was the high school principal, and he is gone, and the new principal makes less. Same with Mr. Hall, he is listed as a teacher with a high salary but the salary is based on last year, when he was an assistant principal at the high school. We eliminated an assistant principal position and now he is back in the classroom as a teacher.

The Superintendent's base salary is $130,000, which is the same as when he was hired 2 years ago. He has not received any adjustment in his contract in those 2 years.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic