FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are they or aren't they worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are they or aren't they worth it?
    Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 6:14am
Today's Journal concerning unsafe intersections as it relates to accidents......

Highway ramp site worst for accidents
Ohio 122 at I-75 tops 
in area for accidents. Police say high traffic volume often makes an intersection dangerous.

The intersection at Ohio 122 and Interstate 75 in Middletown is the worst in the area for the most accidents, according to statistics examined by the Middletown Journal.

Police were called to the intersection 51 times for vehicle crashes, accordThe other top worst intersections in Middletown were: Cincinnati-Dayton Road and Oxford State Road and Ohio 122 and Towne Boulevard, both with 30 crashes; Roosevelt Boulevard and Breiel Boulevard, 23 crashes; Roosevelt Boulevard and Highland Street, 19 crashes; Germantown Road and Verity Parkway, 17 crashes; Central Avenue and Breiel Boulevard, 14 crashes; Roosevelt Boulevard and Jackson Lane, 13 crashes; Roosevelt Boulevard and Elliott Road, 12 crashes; Oxford State Road and Breiel Boulevard, 9 crashes and 14th Avenue and Verity Parkway and Central Avenue and North University, 8 crashes each.

While the top three intersections are still the scene of a large number of accidents, Ohio 122 and I-75, Ohio 122 and Towne and Roosevelt and Breiel all had a decrease in the number of crashes from 2009 to 2010. But the city as a whole had a 4 percent increase in total crashes during the same period, according to Sgt. Steve Ream.

NOW, QUESTIONS BEG TO BE ASKED. SOME OF THESE INTERSECTIONS CURRENTLY HAVE OR HAD RED LIGHT VIOLATION CAMERAS SET UP TO PREVENT ACCIDENTS AS THEY WOULD CHALLENGE MOTORISTS NOT TO RUN RED LIGHTS. SINCE THERE STILL SEEMS TO BE A LARGE NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS AROUND THE CITY, ACCORDING TO THIS ARTICLE, HAVE THE RED LIGHTS DONE THEIR JOB AS THE POLICE WOULD HAVE YOU THINK?   OR.......ARE THEY NOT MAKING A POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION AT ALL TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY, BUT RATHER ONLY REVENUE GENERATORS AS MANY OF US SUSPECTED FROM THE OUTSET?

FROM A SAFETY PROSPECTIVE, ISN'T IT TIME THE CITY GET RID OF THE CAMERAS? APPARENTLY, THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN REVENUE ENHANCERS.

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 6:43am
This exit is the worst designed I think I've ever seen. Am I missing the the turn lane going east to get on north bound or must I have to do a u-turn ? 50 + years of highway construction in this country and this is what we've learned??
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

FROM A SAFETY PROSPECTIVE, ISN'T IT TIME THE CITY GET RID OF THE CAMERAS? APPARENTLY, THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN REVENUE ENHANCERS.
Vet,
I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Don't look for the red light cameras to be removed.  Look for "speed" cameras to be installed!!!
Pay close attention to all the signage around town.  They no longer say "traffic LIGHTS phot enforced".  They say "traffic LAWS photo enforced".  Some simply have a speed limit sign and a sign directly underneath stating "photo enforced".
If the voters turn down the so-called "public safety" levy, look for our "punishment" to be the implementation of "speeding tickets via camera enforcement".
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 7:10pm
Mr. P,

While I don't like the traffic laws and the red light cameras, the truth of the matter is that the law is the law! If it says 35mph, that's the law. How it is enforced is irrelevant to the fact. If the law needs to be changed, then advocate for a change in the traffic law. I also believe that camera enforcement would be an allowable evidence in this day and age. I agree with Vet on this one, these cameras don't enhance public safety and in the name of public safety, should be removed. However, don't expect the city to give up camera enforcement of traffic laws. Big Brother wouldn't want you to think you were safe if he wasn't watching out for you.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 10:30pm
If 35 is the speed limit, please tell me drivers going 25 in a 35 will be ticketed as well.  I know there are laws on the books for impeding traffic, just as there are for speeding.  Many places in town, there are drivers going 5-15 miles under the speed limit....

can be worse than speeders at times...
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2012 at 11:15pm
Don't look for this city to remove the camera. It will take a petition to amend the city ordinances to get rid of the red light cameras and to also to forbid the city from use speed enforcement cameras. 

The citizens of Cincinnati put forth such a petition and they won to disallow the city from using either type of camera.  But getting the citizens of Middletown to come together on ANYTHING is highly unlikely.

PacmanCool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic