Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE
    Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 11:27am
I am wondering why the school district didn't release this information. I found it on the Ohio Department of Education web site: http://education.ohio.gov/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?page=3&TopicRelationID=1&ContentID=131230

According to the report the Middletown City School district did not meet the Adequate Yearly Progress state requirement.
Of the districts in Butler County, Middletown had the lowest number of students passing the test at the proficient level in the following areas:

Grade 4 Reading      
Grade 4 Math      
Grade 5 Reading      
Grade 5 Math      
Grade 5 Science      
Grade 6 Reading      
Grade 6 Math      
Grade 8 Reading      
Grade 8 Math      
Grade 8 Science      
Ohio Graduation Tests (grade 10)
Reading     
Writing
Math
Science
Social Studies
Ohio Graduation Tests (grade 11) These are students who did not pass in the 10th grade.
Reading     
Writing
Math
Science
Social Studies

Of the districts in Butler County, Middletown had the lowest
Longitudinal Graduation Rate - 4 Year @     74.3
Longitudinal Graduation Rate - 5 Year @ 78

Ohio Department of EducationOhio Department of Education website
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 6:49am
Journal story..

8 districts fail reading standard

By Jill Kelley

Staff Writer

Eight public school districts out of the more than 70 in the Miami Valley did not meet the state proficiency standard for third-grade reading on the 2011-12 Ohio Achievement Assessments, according to preliminary report card data

The Ohio Department of Education estimated that, based on the 2010-11 test scores, approximately 10,000 students across the state would be eligible for retention based on this criteria.

These numbers could include students from Dayton, Springfield, Middletown, Trotwood-Madison, Mad River, Jefferson Twp., New Miami and Triad Local, which did not meet the state required proficiency of 75 percent in third-grade reading on the 2011-12 OAAs.

THIRD-GRADE READING

Out of more than 70 public school districts in the Miami Valley, eight did not meet the proficiency standard for the third-grade reading on the Ohio Achievement Assessments, according to data from the 2011-12 Ohio Report Card. To attain proficiency and an indicator on the state report card, districts had to score at or above 75 percent. Here are these districts and their proficiency rate for third-grade reading on the 2011-12 OAAs.

Jefferson Twp. City: 50.0%

Trotwood-Madison City: 52.9%

Dayton Public: 54.8%

Springfield City: 61.4%

New Miami Local: 66.7%

Middletown City: 72.6%

Mad River Local: 74.0%

Triad Local: 74.7%

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 8:52am
Close.   I wonder what the historical trends have been for this metric.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 1:00pm
Journal story.....

Middletown school district showing state report card progress

The Middletown City School District’s performance index rating continues to climb in the Ohio Department of Education’s district report card ratings. And while he is encouraged by the district’s continued progress, superintendent Greg Rasmussen knows there’s still work to do.

"THERE IS STILL WORK TO DO". HAVE HEARD THIS FROM MANY SUPERS WHO HAVE PRECEDED RASMUSSEN. A STANDARD RESPONSE. PRICE WAS NOTORIOUS FOR USING THIS PHRASE IN HIS 7 YEARS HERE.

“Our performance index rating, which is kind of the overall score together, went up another 1.3 points. In the last five years, our index has grown by more than seven points. It’s as high as it’s ever been,” Rasmussen said.

Middletown, which has received the Continuous Improvement rating since after the 1998-1999 school year, has increased its performance index number by 7.2 points in the past five years. The district’s index number rose 1.3 points this year

HOW DOES THIS RATE OF ACHIEVEMENT (INDEX NUMBER) COMPARE WITH OTHER DISTRICTS? KEEPING PACE OR STILL SLOW TO DEVELOP?

Middletown, Lakota Schools and Ross Schools were the only Butler County districts to receive the Above rating from the state for the Value-Added measure.

CONGRATULATIONS! SLOW BABY STEPS OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, BUT IMPROVEMENT NEVERTHELESS. WHILE IT IS A GOOD THING TO SEE IMPROVEMENT, ARE WE ALL SATISFIED THAT IT HAS TAKEN SUCH A LONG TIME TO GET TO THIS POINT?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 1:13pm
From the Journal...

Middletown Schools retains 'Continuous Improvement' rating

Middletown Schools retained its “Continuous Improvement” rating, according to the preliminary data released Wednesday by the Ohio Department of Education.

The Middletown City School District’s performance index rating continues to climb in the Ohio Department of Education’s district report card ratings. And while he is encouraged by the district’s continued progress, superintendent Greg Rasmussen said he knows there’s still work to do.

“Since the state started rating schools with a performance index, we’ve got the highest score (87.2) we’ve ever had,” Rasmussen said. “So we’re encouraged by those things. … We’re pleased with the progress we made at the various grade levels. We made some significant improvements in math and continue to get better in reading at a lot of the grade levels.”

ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THE MIDDLETOWN DISTRICT HAS BEEN IN CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT? A DECADE OR MORE?? WHILE ANY UPWARD NUMERICAL MOVEMENT IS PROMISING, HAS THIS DISTRICT SET ANY GOALS FOR ITSELF FOR REACHING THE NEXT LEVEL BY A SPECIFIC YEAR OR WILL WE SEE SMALL INCREMENTAL PROGRESS THAT IS STILL FAR FROM APPROACHING THAT NEXT LEVEL. ARE THEY JUST TREADING WATER HERE OR ARE THEY PREPARING TO SWIM? WOULD BE NICE TO SEE THE DISTRICT CLASSIFIED AS "SATISFACTORY" (OR WHATEVER THE NEXT LEVEL IS CALLED) IN 2-3 YEARS AT THE VERY LEAST. JUDGING BY THE RANKINGS FROM THE SURROUNDING DISTRICTS WHO ARE RATED AS EXCELLENT OR ABOVE, MIDDLETOWN HAS ALOT OF CATCHING UP TO DO.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 5:03pm
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 8:56pm
Didn't MCSD meet 10 indicators last year and now we're down to 6?
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 9:38pm
“We’re continuing to see positive change,” Rasmussen said. “We all realize this is just the foundation and that we have a lot of work to do. We’re pleased with the continued progress, but we’re not satisfied with where we are either.”

The district is the only one in Butler County that failed to meet any of the 14 Ohio Achievement Assessment requirements.Cry

Stanky, I believe that this year MCSD met ZERO of the 14 indicators.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 6:17am
Everyone in the 20's on indicators except Middletown and New Miami. Even Hamilton, similar to Middletown made it to the 20's. Franklin has really improved their educational system compared to years ago. Middletown is not all that different from Franklin either, right? Then why isn't the Midd. data comparable to Franklin or Hamilton? Didn't the state take over the New Miami school district due to numerous levy failures and financial issues? Look at the numbers between Middletown and New Miami. Even with the state taking over and major financial issues, and with New Miami being a rather poor community, they still produced better numbers than this district did. One could summize tnen that it ain't being a poor community at all that hinders performance and it ain't the levy failures that hinder any chance of producing results. That only leaves the policies, procedures, skill levels, attitude toward the job and effective teaching methods that may be the culprit. Would like to print this off and take it to the school board meeting and ask the super and school board to explain why these numbers for this district are so drastically different than the rest of the districts.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 8:37am
Franklin has been getting a lot of people who grew up in Springboro, but can't afford to live in Springboro moving to Franklin. I also was talking to the Cable guy one day and he said he use to live in Middletown, but he had to moved to Franklin because he did not want his kids going to Middletown City Schools.
I am glad to see the scores are improving, but we will have to see what the district plans on doing to begin to compete with other districts that scored better.
I know in Springboro the schools are always front and center issue of the community. That is mainly because Springboro is obsessed with having the best with education, and protecting property values. I am definitely not seeing the parent and teacher organizations or the passion to make education better as I did in Springboro.
With all that said I do hope that Middletown will continue to turn around, with the reduction of Section 8 housing, The Towne Mall's new ownership, and the beautification efforts. Once Middletown begins to raise it's property values, the more people will begin to move here.

But then again I have always been an optimist :)

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 9:44am
ktf1179, have you seen any fallout in Springboro from their tea party school board that refuses to spend any money?
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 11:41am
I have to be honest I haven't been keeping up with Springboro School politics since I moved to Middletown.

I have not heard of any fallout since they have been elected. except for the administrators leaving because they don't like the board watching their spending. But for once Springboro Schools is finally beginning to run a surplus, which is amazing since when I lived there, anytime the schools ran low on money, the first thing they did was always ask tax levy. It's because of the non stop levies that the "Tea Party" school board got elected. Also Springboro has always been HEAVILY Conservative, and votes Republican during every election.

I would love to tell you the history, and what makes Springboro and it's schools tick but I don't think I have enough space. All I can say Springboro is not what it portrays to the surrounding communities.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 11:48am
ktf1179....

"Franklin has been getting a lot of people who grew up in Springboro, but can't afford to live in Springboro moving to Franklin"

"I know in Springboro the schools are always front and center issue of the community. That is mainly because Springboro is obsessed with having the best with education, and protecting property values"

THE TWO STATEMENTS GO HAND IN HAND.......

SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO GREW UP IN SPRINGBORO (AND OUTSIDERS WHO DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER) ARE BEING PUSHED OUT BECAUSE OF HIGH PROPERTY TAXES, PARTIALLY BECAUSE THE SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD IS ALWAYS PLACING A SCHOOL LEVY FOR THEIR CONSIDERATION, IN FRONT OF THEM. SPRINGBORO LIKES THEIR SCHOOL LEVIES. SOME PEOPLE IN SPRINGBORO ARE TAPPED OUT ON TAXES VERSUS INCOME AND LEAVE BECAUSE THEY CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO LIVE THERE. ENDLESS CYCLE.... NEED GOOD SCHOOLS TO DRAW PEOPLE TO TOWN, BUT TO HAVE THE BEST SCHOOLS, PEOPLE ARE BLED DRY ON THE PROPERTY TAXES FOR HIGHER SALARIES AND NEW SCHOOLS AND EVENTUALLY THE OLD PAYCHECK NO LONGER IS ABLE TO COVER THE EXPENSES. THE SCHOOL FOLKS, NO MATTER WHAT COMMUNITY, DON'T SEEM TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT FOR THE MOST PART AND ONLY SEE THEIR NEEDS AS BEING IMPORTANT, REGARDLESS OF THE FINANCIAL PAIN IT INFLICTS ON THE PROPERTY OWNERS. A REASONABLE BALANCE OF THE NEEDS AND DESIRES OF THE SCHOOL PEOPLE AND WHAT THE COMMUNITY IS ABLE TO AFFORD WOULD BE NICE, BUT DOESN'T HAPPEN TOO OFTEN. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 7:16pm
Vet,

We have the same issue here, we have a senior center with about 1200 members who pay minimal membership fees, and then the other 48,000 residents have to bail them out.  Then you have the senior citizens when it comes time for a school levy say" why should I have to taxes for a new school when I have no kids in it?"

One of Middletowns biggest problems in the schools is 1/3 of the students are form low income section 8 families, many who require much more hand holding by the school system than other communities.  My son hasn't gone to a Middletown school since the 5th grade.  He spent 4 yrs at Middletown Christian, we then enrolled him @ Monroe High School where he did great and has already passed all of the OGT's.  He now goes to Butler Tech and is enrolled in their IT program. 

He has had problems with some of the Middletown students who also attend Butler Tech and school has only been in session for 2 months.  1st day of school, 4 Middletown students started bullying other members of the class.  My son said once he and another of his friends stood p (they are both over 6'2" and 200#'s) they no longer had a problem wiith the Middletown students. 

Another Middletown student decided he wanted to talk on his cell phone during class, when the teacher told him to turn the phone off he refused.  He was promptly removed from the class.  The following week, this same student decided he wanted to blast music form his cell phone during class, and was once again removed from class after argueing with the teacher.

Monroe had a strict NO CELL PHONE During school Policy.  Middletown does not, and this is what you get.  One of Middletown's major problems is lack of discipline.  It appears this will never change.

PacmanCool

silver bells View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver bells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2012 at 8:21pm
It has been awhile since I have posted, but I will say what I have said (or implied) in all of my past comments:

Low expectations for behavior and academics result in low scores. Middletown's scores are embarrassing, but they will NEVER be any different until expectations change. End of story.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic