FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 6th grader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 8:56pm
Ms Andrew,

We pulled our son from Middletown Christian for the same reason you removed your children from John XIII.  We felt he wasn't being challenged enough and the classes offered there were not meeting his needs.  Our only regret was not moving him prior to the ninth grade.  He started at Monroe in the 10th grade and now He is goes to Butler Tech for their IT Program and is much more challenged.  He came home after 3 weeks of school and asked to be moved from Algrebra II to advanced Algebra II class because he was't being challenged enough.  His hopes are to go to MUM to get a degree in Computer engineering or Computer Science. 

Our son has never felt unsafe in school either and we do not worry about it.  He is 6'2" and 210# and can handle himself.  Please Don't get the wrong idea, He is a good kid and is in no way a trouble maker, but nobody messes with him.because of his size either.

Thank You for always responding to our posts on this forum.  We appreciate your kindness even when we don't always agree.

PacmanCool

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:52am
Journal Police briefs- 11/22/2012....

Three Middletown High School students — two girls and one boy — were charged after a fight escalated in the hallways and a staff member was injured. When John Landers tried to break up the fight between two female students, he hit his arm and wrist on the metal lockers and he was treated by a school nurse. One girl was charged with felonious assault, assault, and disorderly conduct; another was charged with assault and disorderly conduct; and a male student was charged with disorderly conduct because of his cussing and interference with school officials.

STILL THINK THERE IS NO NEED FOR CORPORAL PUNISHMENT IN THE SCHOOLS? STILL THINK THAT KINDER/GENTLER STILL WORKS? WHEN WILL IT BE TIME TO CRACK DOWN HARD ON THESE LITTLE OUT OF CONTROL "DARLINGS"? WHEN WILL THE SCHOOLS TAKE CHARGE AND ACTUALLY DEAL OUT SOME "PAIN" INSTEAD OF THE OLD WRIST SLAPPING METHODS THAT NEVER WORK? WHY DO THE SCHOOL PEOPLE, THE COPS AND JUDGES IN THE COURT SYSTEM CODDLE THESE KIDS? SEND THEM AWAY TO A "TOUGH LOVE" PROGRAM IN THE PRISON SYSTEM. GET 'EM AWAY FROM THE OTHERS AND BREAK 'EM DOWN.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 1:07pm
There were no school fights in 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's when the schools had corporal punishment?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

There were no school fights in 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's when the schools had corporal punishment?

Don't know about the 30's and 40's. Before my time. Yep, there were fights. Usually off school grounds after school. Didn't see any at Wilson Elementary in the middle to late 50's. 6th graders didn't pick too many fights. Saw some in the early 60's at Roosevelt Jr. High, but none at Middletown High (now old Vail downtown). They were dealt with by the Dean of Boys/Girls at the school using physical punishment (at least through the 60's) The parents supported this. Very few repeat offenders. Schools didn't have "Resource Officers" then. Kids were put in line out in the hallways with a teacher as a witness. Some were also put in line when they got home by dad. Can't vouch for what happened after I exited the system. Just know that the schools have adopted an approach that has led us to what we see today.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:00pm
well, I went through Middletown Public school system graduating in the early 90's.  I remember students were afraid of being paddled by Mr. Knepshield.  I know of students that were paddled in to Jr. High (late 80's) and I can tell you fights still happened.  

I'm not saying I am opposed to the idea.  I just don't buy that it is a deterrent.  Some kids are going to cause trouble.  Fact of life.  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:18pm
Med:

"I'm not saying I am opposed to the idea. I just don't buy that it is a deterrent. Some kids are going to cause trouble. Fact of life."

ALRIGHT MED, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR SUGGESTION FOR THE DETERRENT? OBVIOUSLY THE CURRENT WAY OF DISCIPLINE IS NOT WORKING. I BELIEVE THE PADDLING IN THE OLD DAYS WORKED, BUT IF YOU DISAGREE, WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOWADAYS TO DISCIPLINE THE TROUBLE KIDS? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CORPORAL PUNISHMENT RETURN, INCLUDING A "TOUGH LOVE" PROGRAM IN COOPERATION WITH THE PRISONS FOR REPEAT OFFENDERS. SOME HAVE SUGGESTED WE CREATE A SEPARATE SCHOOL FOR THE TROUBLEMAKERS TO ISOLATE THEM FROM THE OTHERS. MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA. I STILL ADVOCATE THE HARD LINE APPROACH. SINCE SOME PARENTS CHOOSE NOT TO GET INVOLVED WITH THEIR KID'S BEHAVIORAL ISSUES, I GUESS SOCIETY HAS TO TAKE OVER SINCE WE CAN'T HAVE A FEW RUIN IT FOR THE MAJORITY. BOTTOM LINE......WHAT METHOD WOULD BE MOST EFFECTIVE TO ELIMINATE THE TROUBLEMAKERS?

BY THE WAY, PERHAPS KNEPSHIELD DIDN'T SWING THE PADDLE HARD ENOUGH TO LEAVE A LASTING IMPRESSION.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 1:00am
There were fights before, there are fights now.  I'm just saying there always have been and always will be fights.  There are no absolutes.  You're never going to eliminate all of something.  

Even when there were public hangings, crime still existed.  There is no one solution for everyone.

Swats will deter some, but not all.  Some kids get beat on a daily basis at home for things far less than a fight.  Do you these kids are afraid of a few swats?  

The current way may not be working, but neither was the old way.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:24am
Med:

"There is no one solution for everyone". AGREE, BUT SWATS (OR THE THREAT OF SWATS) SEEMED TO WORK FOR THE MAJORITY.

Med:

"Swats will deter some, but not all. Some kids get beat on a daily basis at home for things far less than a fight. Do you these kids are afraid of a few swats?"

NOPE, BUT I WILL, ONCE AGAIN, SUGGEST THAT THE ONES WHO WON'T STRAIGHTEN UP AFTER A FEW SWATS, AND ARE REPEAT OFFENDERS, GET ASSIGNED TOUGH LOVE BOOT CAMP AT THE PRISON, ASSIGNED THROUGH THE COURTS. SAW SOME PROGRAMS ON THIS WITH THE KIDS COMING INTO PRISON WITH THAT "I'LL WHIP THE WORLD" LOOK ON THEIR FACE AND AFTER A FEW DAYS (HOURS), THE HARD CORE PRISONERS HAVE THEM CRYING AND WANTING MOMMA. PERHAPS THAT'S THE SOLUTION FOR THE MOST HARDCORE.   
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:45pm
I'm living proof that driving a wooden paddle into a kid's backside doesn't work.

I endured several such episodes as a grade schooler in Middletown City School district in the 1960-70s.

to this day, I'm still regarded as incorrigible and beyond redemption.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:26pm
Squeemy,

why are you regarded as incorrigible and beyond redemption?  You got troubles with the law? Wink
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 3:46pm
haven't been caught yet.

all those beatings I took as a kid at the hands of the local school teachers and administrators taught me one thing:

maintain a low profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic