FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miami U-MIdd. No Smoking Ban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miami U-MIdd. No Smoking Ban
    Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 7:21am
Story today in the Journal about banning smoking outdoors on the campus except in cars. Does Miami U receive any public funds or are they strictly a private institution? If they receive public funds, doesn't the public have a say-so in the policies of the university and shouldn't this decison have public input? Different story if totally private and not receiving any public money. The taxpayers shouldn't be kept out of the loop if they're paying the tab. Not trying to defend smoking, but rather the rights of the people to choose when policies are made no matter what the subject may be. Just curious.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 9:37am
I don't know if we would have a say on this, but again here is an example of our government making new laws and putting more restrictions on our freedom.

However, if I were sending my child to Miami U, I would like the no smoking policy. Perhaps it might even make a few kids quit since they have to break their habit during school.

Don't get me wrong, I am for the protection of all our constitutional rights, but like the seatbelt law, this law may save some lives. So this is one fight I will not pick.

Just leave may guns and free speech alone please.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 4:48pm
The affiliation of Miami University is Public and as such, the "public" should have a say, but what public?  Should it be just the students who would be directly affected?  Should it be community residents who wouldn't necessarily be affected at all?  Has it been done elsewhere?  Was it successful?  Too many questions.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2008 at 2:37pm
Who should have a say? If Miami is public and taxpayer monies are used for the administration/operation and any other expense to keep it running, then the public(ie-people in the community that is affected) has a say in it since they're paying the cost. Before Miami admin. are allowed to administer a policy that removes the right to decide by vote, that's where we should draw the line. To me, the students should have a say as they must abide by the decision and are paying tuition at the school. The community taxpayers are not affected (unless they're taking classes there) but they are paying into the school through taxes,etc. The school administration shouldn't have the freedom to just throw out any policy affecting rights without consulting with the very hand that affects their survival. JMO
tkunkle View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 8:31am
I think that it is a good idea for the no smoking ban. Even if there were just designated areas for smoking so the students that do not smoke don't have to be affected by it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic