FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recognize any names or faces?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recognize any names or faces?
    Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 1:31pm
A few names within these photographs of Armco workers from 1915-1917 have been identified by descendants.

http://www.middle-america.com/wp/sheet-mill-crews/

It was gratifying to provide a high resolution copy to them. Please reply to me privately if you recognize a name and know of a descendant.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2013 at 10:34am
Interesting website, thanks for sharing.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 6:08pm
Thanks, John - the look on the faces of the descendants when they see their ancestor compels me to try and extend it to others.  For those who don't log in to MiddUSA, inquiries can be sent to:

comments@middle-america.com
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 6:08am
Going through the pictures there are some recognizable last names mentioned. Went to school with some kids with alot of the names mentioned. Just wondered if they were related.

Any pictures of Armco people from say, 1922 on? Grandpa started about that time at Armco. Worked there 46 years, retiring in 1968. Was a 4-high temper mill roller in West Processing at Zone 24. They asked him if he wanted the foreman's job and he told them where they could put it. You'd have to have known my Grandpa....straight shooting, to the point, mince no words German.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
trimtab View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trimtab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:59am
My grandfather too, started at Armco in 1922 but in Ashland KY soon after Armco acquired Ashland Iron & Mining Company a year earlier. He was a 54 year old mill representative when he died in winter 1948. My dad graduated from college that spring in 1949 and started in the Ashland payroll office that summer. He retired in Middletown as a product supervisor in 1982 after a career in sales.

Keep checking back to the blog site for more photos. I'll let you know if I find any from 1920s West Processing.

Last month I asked a dad on my kid's basketball team about a name they had in common among the photos -  he said he didn't know but would ask his 88 year old father.

It was the grandfather's uncle.  He had never seen the photo before. It was very gratifying for me to hear that it was printed and framed as a gift for him this past Christmas. The 88 year old's father died when he was four and the uncle played a significant role in his life.

I suspect there are a lot of stories among these photographs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic