Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sorg Mansion Flooded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 7:43pm
Apparently my post on March 2nd flew right over some of your heads.  I already uncovered the FRAUD of the FAKE tunnel photo and posted the original image itself.

Mr. Presta, the "Nice find" pat on the head should have been given to me.  I'm surprised you slipped on that one, you're usually more thorough.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

Apparently my post on March 2nd flew right over some of your heads.  I already uncovered the FRAUD of the FAKE tunnel photo and posted the original image itself.

Mr. Presta, the "Nice find" pat on the head should have been given to me.  I'm surprised you slipped on that one, you're usually more thorough.
Rhodes,
Please accept my apologies!!!

I did notice that you cleaned up the image, made it bigger, and removed the date...but I certainly admit that it got by me that this was done to expose the fraud. 

I have been observing an ongoing debate on another website regarding the existence (or lack thereof) of the "Sorg tunnels", including some posts by noted photographers and others who have the skills necessary to enhance photographs.  This led me to think your post might've been submitted with the enhancements to assist the viewers in judging for themselves.

Pacman's post revealed the website with the photographer's identity, and hence his background and location to me.

I sincerely regret my error, and do hope that you will forgive me.  I assure you that it was not intentional.

My aim is always the truth, and giving credit where credit is due.

Had I been astute enough to realize that you uncovered the fraud before Pacman, I would've been happy to to have given you the "nice find" head pat, or even a pat a little lower on the anatomy, depending upon your gender!!!

Best Regards,
Mike 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 8:06am
Tunnels in the Sorg Mansion would not be outside the realm of possibility.I know that downtown Springboro had a tunnel system that ran from one end of town to the other end of town to protect African American Slaves on their way up north. In-fact I was also told growing up that during the blizzard of 1978 people used the tunnels to get from downtown Springboro to IGA. I would be curious to know if Middletown did anything similar like that back then.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 11:26am
Mike, you are forgiven!  However, I was being sarcastic about cleaning up TudorBrown's image.  I didn't steal it from his camera, clean it up, remove the date, or anything like that.  I uploaded it from the exact website Pacman posted.  I thought some of you detective types would do what I did, which was go to images.google.com, click the camera icon and put the URL of the fake image which would then search the web to see if it exists elsewhere.

So the photo I posted was actually a copy of the original that TudorBrown obviously had some photoshop fun with to make it look like a bad mobile phone cam photo taken in a tunnel.  I have to say very good job to TudorBrown b/c even I was fooled at first.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 11:41am
On the property tax issue.  It is NOT the public's interest if the Finkelman family is behind on the tax bill.  That is insane to think it is your business.  Everyone picks on the Finkelman family all the time over the condition of this property.  Look at it this way, had Harry Finkelman not kept the property the way he did, it most likely would have long been gone.  Nobody even wants it now.  All the people that keep bringing up the very tiny tax amount owed can't afford the property anyways.. So what is your point?  If someone is late with property taxes they are fined.  If they choose to pay it late and pay the fine why is that any of your business?  Maybe if you minded your own business and had some "business" then maybe you could waste your money on the Sorg Mansion and then demonstrate how unintelligent you are by pouring money down the drain.

All that has been going on since it went up for sale is a bunch of unqualified dreamers have tried to buy it hoping to get FREE money to fix the property.  So these same people whining about a very insignificant property tax amount are the EXACT same people wanting or promoting the idea of using grant money to rehab the property.  For those of you that don't know, grant money comes from our TAXES.  So all you people that post like old lady gossipers about the property taxes are nothing more than HYPOCRITES.

I won't call out any single poster, but to the ones that openly think it is everyone's business...  You sure don't seem to mind the amount of tax dollars funneled into some downtown business that never get repaid.  You sure don't seem to mind some Duke bills paid in certain ways... and that's all I'll say about Duke bills.  If you're going to be a hypocrite, please do it in private.
VictoiranLover View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictoiranLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

On the property tax issue.  It is NOT the public's interest if the Finkelman family is behind on the tax bill.  That is insane to think it is your business.  Everyone picks on the Finkelman family all the time over the condition of this property.  Look at it this way, had Harry Finkelman not kept the property the way he did, it most likely would have long been gone.  Nobody even wants it now.  All the people that keep bringing up the very tiny tax amount owed can't afford the property anyways.. So what is your point?  If someone is late with property taxes they are fined.  If they choose to pay it late and pay the fine why is that any of your business?  Maybe if you minded your own business and had some "business" then maybe you could waste your money on the Sorg Mansion and then demonstrate how unintelligent you are by pouring money down the drain.

All that has been going on since it went up for sale is a bunch of unqualified dreamers have tried to buy it hoping to get FREE money to fix the property.  So these same people whining about a very insignificant property tax amount are the EXACT same people wanting or promoting the idea of using grant money to rehab the property.  For those of you that don't know, grant money comes from our TAXES.  So all you people that post like old lady gossipers about the property taxes are nothing more than HYPOCRITES.

I won't call out any single poster, but to the ones that openly think it is everyone's business...  You sure don't seem to mind the amount of tax dollars funneled into some downtown business that never get repaid.  You sure don't seem to mind some Duke bills paid in certain ways... and that's all I'll say about Duke bills.  If you're going to be a hypocrite, please do it in private.
And that is the difference between preservation and restoration.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2013 at 3:57pm
Just tear it down and make more parking lots for the booming downtown area.
mihousenut View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mihousenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 7:01pm
I looked at the Sorg Mansion back in 2008 to turn it into a bed and breakfast/wedding venue/spa, and I have to say there are no tunnels.  Concerning the house and the fact that it is for sale, I talked with several people from city Government, revitalization, and such, at lenght to see if there were any funds available for work, any at all, and was basically told no.  My drive into Middletown was greeted with lots of vacant storefronts, and empty sidewalks...a real estate search showed that houses on South Main, were not worth much at all, even the 10,000 sq ft tudor just down the road, restored mind you, sold for less than 200K.  I estimated that the work for me to do, would run in the neighborhood of 1M dollars, and most of that would never be recovered. I could not justify spending that kind of money out of my own pocket, even though I really love the house and property, just not the city...sorry folks...but that is how I feel...
Just my two cents...from a person who would have purchased, but could not make it work from a business plan.  Personally I think the Finklemans should let it go for less than 50K, but put stipulations on the property that it not be torn down, or ransacked, which might make it more palatable financially to anyone who may be interested in it. The problem might lie also in the fact there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 heirs to the property, and they would all have to agree to a price.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 8:11pm
mihousenut,

Sounds to me like you made a wise decision.

PacmanCool
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mihousenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2013 at 12:09pm
Thanks pacman...I agree that we did too, although I am saddened by the deterioration of the Sorg Mansion...we did purchase another property and have turned it into a successfull Inn...
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 11:59am
Just out of a curiosity, how was the mansion heated?
Reason I'm asking is that several "executive houses"  in Pullman, Illinois (now Chicago) were heated from the Pullman Palace Car Company using exhaust steam. The steam was piped to these houses  using  service tunnels.
Were any building in the downtown area using such a servace?
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2013 at 2:48pm

A boiler in the basement, that never worked properly.

Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:42pm
Mihousenuts, Where is your Inn located? Is it close to Middletown?
darcy1969 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 8:56am
There's a law I heard that if you pay property taxes on a piece of real estate then you get it by default when owners can't handle it anymore. Anybody heard of that in this area? I would think there are a lot of properties that someone with some money could do that with around here. Basically someone else paying the  taxes puts a lien on the property and when not paid the lienholder can own it.  Who can take on the Sorg and put on some shows again?
Darcia
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mihousenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 8:44pm
Sorry for the long delay in responding back to your question from last year, I am located in Michigan, but fell in love with the Sorg. A short bittersweet romance, that ended on paperwork. I really hope that the new owners can make a go of it, obviously they love the house, and "might" turn it into a bed and breakfast, which they should, cause as a house, it will just be a tax liability, and a beautiful one at that. The only chance to "recover" any investments would be to run it as a business, a destination if you will, weddings, getaways, or the like, cause there is not much of a draw to the city.

The boiler, is a gravity feed, with enclosed radiators in the basement that heated it would rise through venting to the rooms, which meant the entire house smelled like a musty basement when the furnace was running.

At the time I looked at it, there were still tenants who for various did not wish to be intruded upon, I am sure you know why, but I have to say the home was jaw dropping to say the least. Glad to see it sold, and wish the new homeowners all the best.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by mihousenut mihousenut wrote:

... cause there is not much of a draw to the city. ...
Holy cow, Mihousenut!!!

Making such a statement certainly makes you a persona non grata with City Hall and the South Main Street Gang. Be very careful if you ever return to Middletown as you will likely be shot on sight...or, at the very least, pilloried in Governor's Square or Old South Park.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 7:37am
Mike, don't you mean "Olde South Parke"?
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 9:12am
Or drawn and quartered on those fancy new light poles (at 25 mph, of course...)
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 9:20am
Why don't we just let them secede from Middletown they can call it The village of Olde South Parke and Marty and the Mulligan boys can be mayor,vice mayor and village manger. Good riddance! LOL
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 10:09am
Or write on the chalkboard 1,000,000 times:

"Bright past, brighter future; keeping the momentum forward", or AKA, "12 years As A Chalk Board Writer."

Bar set pretty low isn't?

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown is searching around the world for its next city manager.

The job has been posted with the International City/County Management Association, Ohio City Management and the National Forum for Black Public Administrators, said Don Vermillion, who the city hired as the search consultant.

Vermilion, who is being paid $12,000 by the city, said resumes are arriving and the deadline is April 25.

Judy Gilleland, the city’s manager since 2008, sent a letter to City Council several months ago announcing her retirement effective June 6, 2014, though she may delay that until her replacement has been approved.

Vermillion, director of public projects at the Fitz Center at the University of Dayton, said city council will review all the applicants and determine which candidates to interview. The goal, he said, is to have a candidate named by June 10.

Vermillion also helped Vandalia with its search for a city manager. Doug Adkins, Middletown director of economic development for the last five years, was one of the three finalists, but Tipp City City Manager Jon Crusey was named to the position.

Noah Powers, the city’s director of human resources, said surveys are being sent out to city staff, business leaders and residents asking their input on the next city manager.

Mayor Lawrence P. Mulligan Jr. said council hopes to hire someone with management skills to “continue our forward momentum.”

Gilleland’s salary is $127,654.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Why don't we just let them secede from Middletown they can call it The village of Olde South Parke and Marty and the Mulligan boys can be mayor,vice mayor and village manger. Good riddance! LOL
They would never secede...they need the tax money from the rest of us!!!

However, if Middletown would "de-annex" downtown and the two historic districts, then maybe the rest of the city could begin to move forward again!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 10:19am
How about sanctions on them, and the two "historic" districts where they can't access their First Financial accounts?

Maybe Obama and Kerry can help.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 10:54am
With our mayor being a player with First Financial I'm sure he'd be glad to help.Is the many accounts the city has with First a conflict of interest with the mayor employed there? Just asking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic