Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Local governments plan to pay off debts with rebat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local governments plan to pay off debts with rebat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local governments plan to pay off debts with rebat
    Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:14pm

HAMILTON —

Paying down debt tops the list of what local government leaders say they will do with an anticipated windfall in the form of a rebate from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

Butler County public employers are estimated to receive $2.9 million as part of a $1 billion rebate proposed last week by Gov. John Kasich and the agency’s Administrator/CEO Steve Buehrer. The BWC Board of Directors still must give final approval at the end of the month for the rebate.

Cities in Butler County will receive a combined $950,160, and school districts will get $911,610. The city of Hamilton will get back an estimated $283,290 and Hamilton schools will pocket $270,600. The city of Middletown is estimated to receive $163,400, Middletown City Schools will get $188,810 and the Midpointe Library System, $5,820.

Here yea go BOE,you have extra money so why not put it all in at "Chris Carter Stadium?"God forbid use it for something good for "ALL" people.Just not a selective group.

Isn't there more than One Midpoint Library?If so is that $5,820 going to be split? 

Hamilton City Manager Joshua Smith said any refund will used for budget deficit reduction. The last projection this year was a $2.5 million to $2.7 million deficit.

“Rebates we have received in the past go back into the workers comp fund for pay out at a future date,” said Judy Gilleland, Middletown City Manager. “We haven’t had the chance to examine this closely, but likely that will occur.”

Queen Judy shouldn't you have said,"We haven't had enough time yet to determined What "PET" project we will be spending the money?Maybe the Mayor and his kin down on "HISTORICAL ALLEY" need there driveway done to make them "PURITY" Lites Shine.LOL I have a 100.00 saying they will use it for some more nonsense.

I keep on asking myself,I say self,How do are "SPINELESS ONES" sleep at night? Self says,Damn if I know self.LOL Think everyone of them ought to vacate there seats and let people that actually cares about this town make the right decisions.

Other combined total estimates for public employers in the county include: Butler County government, $445,350; townships, $552,290; villages, $6,150; transit authorities, $21,580; special districts except transit authorities, $19,890; and contract coverage, $1,880.

Butler County Administrator Charles Young indicted it is a a bit premature to talk about spending the refund, but said the county has a plan that dedicates such money to retiring debt and placing in funds for maintenance and capital expenditures that have been deferred in recent years due to the difficult economy.

Spineless ones need to follow BCA.

The rebates and reforms are made possible by larger-than-expected fund balances at the BWC, generated by strong investment management. The amount each public employer will receive equals approximately 56 percent of their annual workers’ compensation insurance premium.

BWC rebates

Cities in Butler County will receive a combined $950,160, and school districts will get $911,610.

Hamilton: $283,290

Hamilton City Schools: $270,600

Middletown: $163,400 Goes into "PARTY FUND."

Middletown City Schools: $188,810 Deposit it in "CHRIS CARTER STADIUM FUND."

Midpointe Library System: $5,820

Butler County government: $445,350

Butler County townships: $552,290

Butler County villages: $6,150

Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 8:53am
LMAO,

The Governor has proposed this rebate. The legislature has yet to approve it. So, we have no plans to spend the money. Most likely we will add it to cash reserves which are necessary to manage cash flow, with our expenses being roughly evenly spread over 12 months but the real estate tax portion of our revenue coming in only twice a year.

Your comment about how you think we would spend the rebate reflects several misconceptions. First, we are not renaming the stadium "the Chris Carter Stadium." It will still be Barnitz Stadium.  The plan is to rename the field the "Chris Carter Community Field at Barnitz Stadium."

Second, we are not spending tax revenue (either local property taxes or state funds) on the planned improvements for Barnitz. We are raising private dollars that will fund any upgrades; they will not be paid for out of our operating fund.

Third, the improvements are intended to make the field and stadium available year round, 7 days a week for a broader range of events, including soccer, band competitions, concerts and more. With natural grass the field has been limited to 5 home football games a year. This is why the word "community" will be added to the name of the field, and why the Middletown Community Foundation believes that it is a project worth funding.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 9:19am
Marcia, would it be possible for the city to at least put 50K or 100K of the refund into the Street Maintenance fund, and out of the General fund?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 10:13am
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

Marcia, would it be possible for the city to at least put 50K or 100K of the refund into the Street Maintenance fund, and out of the General fund?

Realizing every penny helps with sending money to the street fund, but $50 thou or $100 thou won't pave enough to be noticed, would it? If the refund is meant for school items, can it be transitioned for city use?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 10:34am
I am aware it won't do much, but it would be a start. 
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 1:18pm
ktf, I serve on the school board. We are a separate government entity from the city, with separate finances. If the school district does receive a rebate for what it turns out were excessive workers comp premiums paid by the school district, we will not give it to the city for repaving the streets. I have no say on how the city uses its own rebate.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:07pm
I'm sorry about that I thought you worked with the city.  Embarrassed In that case that money should used saved up for a new middle school or emergency fund. I don't have any kids yet, so school politics are not yet on my radar. That and coming from Springboro, I am kind of burnt out on School Politics.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:20pm
Marcia Andrew Your comment about how you think we would spend the rebate reflects several misconceptions. First, we are not renaming the stadium "the Chris Carter Stadium." It will still be Barnitz Stadium.  The plan is to rename the field the "Chris Carter Community Field at Barnitz Stadium."
In alot of peoples eyes its the same.Stadium,Field.If people want the work done on the Stadium then they should get out and get the donations. I know of 3 districts that have done that and monies that should be used for School is used for that purpose.Schools.

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:28am
LMAO,
Your comment is confusing to me.
If people want the work done on the Stadium then they should get out and get the donations. I know of 3 districts that have done that and monies that should be used for School is used for that purpose.Schools.

Isn't that what Ms. Andrew told you?  That all money for the stadium will be privately funded.  That no operating funds from the school district will be used.  I think that you two are in agreement.

I think that the district has got a great start raising private money for Barnitz.  I've heard that they are already over $1.00 million in private funds.  The people who want to rehab the facility ARE getting off of their rears and are raising the money.  They should be commended for their volunteer work.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 5:18pm
Did you attend the Memorial Day parade: I was very disappointed in the appearance of our Middletown High School band.   Why were they NOT wearing their uniforms. What are the uniforms for if not special events such as this parade. Madison High School looked fantastic in the parade. Madison also had more fire trucks in the parade than Middletown. I'm sorry, but Madsion made OUR parade look great. Come on Middletown, be proud and SHOW it. THANK YOU MADISON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic