FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 out of 30 Indicators met

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 out of 30 Indicators met
    Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 3:32am
So much for any improvement in the MCS system this year, from the MJ:

"Last year, Middletown met six of 30 performance indicators, which include testing results and graduate and attendance rate goals. The district did not meet federal goals for adequate yearly progress.

The district's performance index score was 82.5 out of a possible 120. The score is a point system based on students' achievement in all tested subjects in grades three through eight and the 10th grade Ohio Graduate Test.

This year, Middletown met five of 30 indicators and earned a performance index score of 80."

Middletown is so far behind the other school districts, it is not even funny.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 6:37am
The amazing thing about this data is that you can -(and I have)- take this very same copy to Price, show him and bring to his attention that we are paying some very high property taxes in this city, to produce an inferior product (shown by the data) and he still will not admit that he and this district are in trouble. I have tried to talk to him about this several times, using the old factory comparison of high cost(mostly salaries) + low quality end product = failure/loss of customers/closed up factory. His comment- "Well, I just don't see it that way!" WHAT!!!! What other way could you see it unless you're in total denial. Why are we paying these people so much, when they perform like this? If Price was a CEO, this report would have the major stockholders wanting to fire him. Again, thanks Venturella and friends for giving this guy a contract extension. As long as he is running the ship, it will remain this way. Is that what you want? I think I can safely say, it's not what the people want. Wake up school board, get a backbone, and do something about this. Void the contract and replace the man.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 6:39am
Maybe I am stupid but if you look at Lebanons scores in the above post, 29 of 30 indicators met a score of 100.9 out of a possible 120, which is one of the best in the area.  They rank 110th in the whole state and they are AT RISKShocked.   What gives with that Designation?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 6:44am

"We feel really pretty good about being able to maintain that continuous improvement designation," Carter said. "Our teachers and our staff really fought hard, and our kids really worked hard to get to that point."

I love this quote she feels very good that they are the lowest in Butler County and almost at the bottom for the whole state.  To me this is a disgrace and nothing to feel good about.

The schools systems tax nightmare is quickly approaching and I think Price is in trouble. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 7:34am
I agree Pacman- how can you feel good about a 5 of 30 met situation? Especially when you compare it with the 6 of 30 last year. Betsy- your numbers actually went down on the indicator chart,right? Stay with us now, Betsy. This performance has been going on and has never changed it's basement position since the inception of the indicator program. After all these years and all the levies that have been passed for these people, they still can't seem to compete with the surrounding schools. They have always insinuated that more money would equate to a better education in this town. Springboro is an upscale community and does very well in performance as expected. However,sometimes yearly, they are having levies and draining the pockets of their taxpayers. Some of the other communities on this list are not as upscale and still do very well. So Price's claim that an endless supply of levy money guarantees success is not correct in Middletown's case. What do you think, Price, another 10 years before we'll reach 10 of 30 on the indicator program? There are approx. 614 school districts in Ohio, correct? And Middletown ranks as 599 by the chart? Mercy!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 4:27pm
You guys are forgetting about the 'brain drain' that has been going on at Middletown schools. We are fighting an uphill battle here fellas. After all, if all your good employees quit, and all you had left were lesser productive, it would not matter what incentive you put in place, productivity will decline.

This will not stop until the school stops losing academic talent.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 7:35pm

And why do we have Brain Drain at Middletown Schools. Ermm  Could it be because the schools perform so badly that all of the students that want a good education are fleeing to the private schools and cities like Monroe?  Could it be because Middletown is now looked at as a town that caters to the lower income citizenry?  Is it because Middletown continues to ignore ITS problems like excessive Section 8 housing?  Is it because City Council is more concerned with the 1663 people on Section 8 housing rather than reducing that number say to about 400 which would be more inline with Middletowns percentage of Population in Butler County as a whole?

Is it because the MCSD basically has no plan to bring the school system back?  You know they have two Middle Schools which are both is sad shape.  Now lets say we take those two schools and move the students who need extra help and extra teacher assistance into one of those schools and we take the other one and put the students who are performing well and let them take advanced classes.  Oh no we can't do that, that would be disciminatory, so can't help all of the students who are performing poorly, because no one wants to admit there is a problem that is clearly divided along socioeconomic lines.  So lets all just fail, to once again pacify the few.  Sounds like Middletowns plan to me.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 8:02pm
Mr.Haller--just will this new coke plant inspire young upwardly mobile families to move to the city? And what about the children of lower income who have no choice but to attend Amanda school? 1800ft(or less) from the actual burning facility!

Hospital deconstruction dirtying the air in the new Highland Hysterical District won't help either. Large trucksdestroying the roadways while hauling the asbestos,concrete,brick and dust. Noise poluution(and I don't mean ACDC rocknroll!) from morning 2 night.

Then factor in the test score ratings shown today.

I want it to get better and I want to be positive, but knowing this, and watching the brutalization of citizens at the last public hearing might have scarred me permanently.

Have I mentioned that we have now totally alienated Franklin and Monroe?
Hamilton,West Chester and Butler Co.govt. have never liked us anyway.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 10:58pm
"This will not stop until the school stops losing academic talent."

Jonathan this will not stop until the school system improves itself.  Why would academic talent move to a failing school system when they have so many other choices around them.

In the next 18 monthsor so we are going to be coming into the school levy sunami and Price will roll out his threats to end bussing, cut classes, cut extras, blame everyone who doesn't vote for the levies as he feels we should.  The parents will be blamed for the students failure, the same speedh I have heard 2 times now.  In the meantime we have a failing system which has not improved despite having some of the highest per pupil funding in Ohio.

Enough is enough it is time for a change.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 6:54am
Jonathan-"we are fighting an uphill battle"- we have seen the enemy and the enemy is us. This phrase in very appropriate here. This school system was one of the best around 30-40 years ago.Perhaps we've lowered our standards selecting quality people on the school boards, the superintendents and the teachers hired over the last 30-40 years. If "good employees" are leaving, as you claim, shouldn't there be an urgency to find out why (or won't we like the answer once we do find out?) Usually when one sees a mass exodus of good employees, the culprits are usually concentrated in one area and have a major impact on the employee group that is leaving. Case in point- at Neaton Auto, we had over 60% of the Quality Department leave in a 2 year period of time due to inept department management. Management offered no support for subordinates, offered no technical help and cowered down everytime Production sneezed.Who wants to work for a group of spineless goobers like that? Rather than get rid of the inept management, ownership was perfectly content to live with the major turnover of people. Perhaps that is happening here in the Middletown schools where the teachers don't receive any support or freedom to teach from Price and crew. If Price and crew are the problems, then get rid of them. Maybe the exodus will stop also. But we don't do that here in Middletown. We give potential problems contract extensions.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 7:19am
I see Mr. Sotzing is looking to fly the coop.  He has done a good job for Middletown.  Probably sees the handwriting on the wall with all of the school levy action that is coming all at once.

From the MJ:

"The next Lebanon schools treasurer will already be familiar with the Warren County area.

After interviewing three candidates Wednesday, the school board decided to bring back the two from Butler County: Madison Local's treasurer, Mark A. Zimov, and Eric Sotzing, the treasurer for Middletown City Schools."

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 12:03am
This is progress??? Historical look at Performance Index Score. Does Price think this is progress?

Amanda (Academic Emergency)
2007-2008      2006-2007           2005-2006
68.5                  72.5                        77.6

Creekview (Continuous Improvement--was Effective in 2005-2006)
2007-2008     2006-2007           2005-2006
80.8                  85.4                        86.8

Highview (Academic Watch)
2007-2008     2006-2007            2005-2006 (Separate Wilson and Roosevelt schools)
75.8                  75                            0

Mayfield (Continuous Improvement)
2007-2008      2006-2007            2005-2006
79.6                   85.8                        80.9

Miller Ridge (Middletown's only previously ranked Excellent Schools has slipped to Effective)
2007-2008       2006-2007          2005-2006
97.7                   100.5                     102

Rosa Parks (Academic Emergency)
2007-2008      2006-2007            2005-2006 (Separate Taft and McKinley Schools)
64.8                  67.7                         0

Wildwood (Academic Watch--In 2005-2006 the school was Effective)
2007-2008      2006-2007            2005-2006
79.1                  85.3                         92.4

Vail Middle School (Continuous Improvement)
2007-2008       2006-2007           2005-2006
80.9                   84.4                        83.5

Verity Middle School (Continuous Improvement)
2007-2008       2006-2007           2005-2006
77                      76.4                        81.3

Middletown High School (Continuous Improvement - In 2005-2006 the school was Effective)
2007-2008        2006-2007        2005-2006
87.7                    89.5                      92.4

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 7:34am
Does Price think this is progress? I've asked him the same question on past results.After I gave my opinion, he told me that he "doesn't see it that way" and he believes that this system is showing a steady improvement as he strives to be the first urban district to achieve an "EXCELLENT" rating. That's his story and he's sticking to it. So, how does the school board reward a delusional school leader like Price- they give him a contract extension until 2011! You gotta love the logic!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2008 at 9:59pm
Middletown School District 2007-2008 Report Card:

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 11:25am
From the Journal dated 12/19/2010......."State testing in the spring will be the first time the board has a chance to measure the level of Rasmussen’s academic progress. For the past six years, Middletown schools have earned the “continuous improvement” designation by the state on its yearly report card. The district met five of 26 state indicators in 2009-10.
“It’s not the kind of thing where you’re going to see results instantaneously,” said Marcia Andrew, board president. “What we’re looking for is systemic, long-term change. He’s on the right path.”

Note the date on the post by Pacman. How long has this "indicator" program been in effect? How long has the Middletown school district been in
continuous improvement? How long have the proficiency tests been in effect? How long have we been seeing the same test results? How long have we been hearing the same message from the school people and school board? How long will we have to wait to see ANY change toward the positive in test scores, indicators or the unending, repetitive rhetoric of "it will be a slow process....just be patient......we think we're making progress......we're adopting a new program.....we're looking at new ways"....and on and on. It is time to show us something or don't bother attempting to do camouflage PR on the community. Procrastination comments - that's all they have managed to tell us for years. Very frustrating. Good thing they are in the education business. They all would have been gone years ago in a private business setting for non-productivity.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:09pm
Beware of any minimal progress because what will follow then is a levy campaign to build a new high school.
Lostdafire View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostdafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:26pm
Having bent the ear of a board member I learned the school board only has statutory authority to hire/fire the Superintendent and the Treasurer.   Obviously, the board was not happy with the performance of the district during the Price era.  Price is gone and we have a new Superintendent, Mr. Rasmussen.  Good work on the board's part.

Citing confidentiality issues this board member would not speak of specifics, but  was very supportive of  the efforts of the new superintendent in evaluating administrators and raising the bar for their future performance.  There was a feeling of confidence in the direction the superintendent is taking to improve this district.   This confidence was not there a few years ago.

I liked some of what Mr. Rasmussen had to say today in the two MJ articles. 

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 12:39pm
Watch the meetings and you will see they are already talking about a new high school and the need for more money.
I’m sorry but I will not vote for another dime until the scores get better
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 1:10pm
In all honesty folks you need a new High School and a New Middle School combining Vail and Verity.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 5:29pm
wasteful- please explain why we need a new high school and to combine the middle schools? If the talk about building a new high school is to improve the performance, I will remind all of the 45 million spent for the new grade schools years ago and the fact the it hasn't made any significant improvement on the scores nor raised the indicators at all. Money wasted so far. Proves what some have been saying all along to no avail......the environment in which a student learns isn't as important as what is being taught and how it is being taught. Changing teaching methods and adjusting curriculum.......even adopting methods from more successful school districts would do more than changing environments (building new schools). The high school was built in 1970. It is 40 years old. I wouldn't consider that a tear down school yet, would you? As Vivian stated, not one more dollar to help this district until they show some improvement and are not stagnate in performance like they are now. We have passed levy after levy for them (without my help in the voting booth) and we are still getting the same results. Money isn't the solution. Doing things differently is, IMO. Why do the voters keep giving them money if they show no improvement? Not logical. No accountability needed if we keep rewarding them.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 9:20pm
Vet, you're being a little disingenuous when you say the reason for the new schools was for better performance.  Yes, that was one reason thrown out there, possibly by Price. But most of the conversation was on the high cost to maintain the old buildings.  Besides, anyone with sense would see through the claim of better performance and write it off as bluster.  You're better than that. 
I would rather pay a $1 for something new rather than keep throwing 50 cents to fix something old.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2010 at 9:50pm
Another reason given at the time when the schools asked us voters to approve the 45 mil bond issue was that the elementary schools would be equipped with the latest and greatest communication gadgets including media centers. Has all of this "latest and greatest communication gadgets" helped with the end results? No.

We're talking about the possibility of building a new high school when the one we have is only 40 years old. Now, it we need a new high school after only 40 years, I suggest that we either start taking better care of our school buildings by setting aside money for a decent preventative maintenance program or we better start monitoring how the buildings are constructed as they are being built. A building should last, with proper care alot longer than 40 years without replacing the dam thing.

It took 45 million to demolish and rebuild the new elementary schools in this town. 45 million would have gone a long way in doing maintenance to the existing buildings and we would have had more substantial structures when we were done instead of new construction that isn't as sound as old school building practices.

You say "Besides, anyone with sense would see through the claim of better performance and write it off as bluster". Not sure about that from the Middletown voters. IMO, the voters astound me with their vote choice decisions on many issues in the city. I think alot of voters believed Prices claim of "new schools = better performance" hook, line and sinker. Some are incredibly naive and gullible. JMO
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 9:45am

The alleged problems with the old buildings were mold, costly HVAC issues, and wiring issues, among other things.  Supposedly these older buildings can't be wired for computers, etc.  Not sure if I believe that totally, but whatever.  Can't say I disagree with you about preventative maintenance, though that wouldn't solve the issue about newer technology.

I can't recall the numbers, but if you believe the cost figures that were presented at the time of the last new buildings levy, it was cost prohibitive to keep spending the maintenance $$ they were spending.  Plus throw in the fact that the state was paying for ...what....70-80% of the cost of new construction?  Seems like building new made sense in that situation.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 12:45pm
Cone on folks, wake up from your coma. Marcia Andrews states it will take some time for progress. The city school system was given 7 years to turn this around with Steve Price, who had a vision for EXCELLENt rating. No progress occurred. Now Ms. Andrews states in essenece, because we have a new superintendent, the ship has been "righted", the seas are rough, but the compass has been fixed, the mast repaired, and we are moving in the right direction. Who's selling Kool-aid in Middletown, Stegfano's, The Manchester, the Atrium food court?

Neil, you can pull ethernet or fiber optic cable in any building easily. Structure has nothing to do with it. You are talking of total cost of ownership and need. It always becomes a matter, and recittal, well, we get 80% funding, so we need to take advantage of it. As for te schools being built previously, the argument was IT WOULD ATTRACT MORE STUDENTS, reducing costs. In fact, the exact opposite has occurred.

Replacement costs are far higher tan maintenance costs. I'd rather drive a Volvo 240 and have no car payment, that will last me 500,000 miles, than a new car, that depreciates in value and will also have maintenance expense. Is the added maintenance expense a furnace? Remove it and go "green." Is it utilization and need for more space? Don't see the numbers showing city of Middletown schools are exploding.

These decisions and justifications are nonsensical and make use of delayed tactics. The future will be brighter, we are making progress. The dummy down just is not working anymore. I'm tired of the attempt to be exploited. Aren't others?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic