FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which would you attend???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which would you attend???
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:09pm
Which downtown Middletown event would you attend???

What:  "Red, White and Bluegrass" event

Where: Downtown Middletown

Cost: $25 per person

What people get: They get access to pulled pork barbecue, drinks and bluegrass music

OR

What:  The "Broad Street Bash"

Cost: FREE

What people get: They get access to a variety of foods and drinks; and an eclectic mix of music by the area's best bands

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 1:06am
what does "having access" mean ? sounds fishy lol
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

I would interpret it to mean that the $25 is "admission only" to the event, but does not include the cost of the actual pulled pork goodies.
I think it is their way of keeping out what they consider the "riff-raff" of the sort that they find distasteful at the Broad Street Bashes.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

I would interpret it to mean that the $25 is "admission only" to the event, but does not include the cost of the actual pulled pork goodies.
I think it is their way of keeping out what they consider the "riff-raff" of the sort that they find distasteful at the Broad Street Bashes.

Funny they would mix blue grass music with high society ? This must be the city's ruling class that is putting this event on.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 6:17pm
Here is the Middletown Journal article on the subject:

Downtown adds another entertainment draw
By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

This summer people can celebrate the ensuing Independence Day downtown with some barbecue and bluegrass music.

Downtown Middletown Inc. will be presenting the inaugural Red, White and Bluegrass event that will feature food and music downtown.

The event, while it is a fundraiser for Downtown Middletown Inc., really “supports the efforts of what’s happening downtown,” said Patrick Kay, executive director of DMI. “It’s also getting people to understand that Middletown’s a happening place to be. Stuff’s going on here. What these events do is it gets people to see there are businesses, there are restaurants, there are shops”

This will be the second event DMI has presented in as many months. The Saturday before Mother’s Day, the downtown champion hosted the Women’s Wine and Chocolate Walk that brought in more than 170 women to downtown. Kay said at least 70 percent of those women had never been to Middletown before.

“(It) will have a residual effect on this downtown that will far outlast the event,” he said. “It brings in people that normally wouldn’t come here.”

The event will feature hearty portions of pulled pork barbecue from local restaurant Stained 1054 Bistro and bluegrass music from the Comet Bluegrass All-Stars at Governor’s Square. Cost is $25 per person.

Scott Martin, general manager of downtown restaurant @ The Square, sees this new event as a continuation of downtown’s resurgence.

“If people can get the idea to come to downtown for good food and live music, they’ll come back,” he said.

The Broad Street Bash, the summer concert series that kicked off its seventh season earlier this month, has helped draw thousands to downtown. While the bluegrass event isn’t expected to draw that many, a few hundred people can make a difference.

“Those kinds of things are what’s bringing people downtown,” said Martin.

Kay said events like the Red, White and Bluegrass and Women’s Wine and Chocolate “puts downtown on an even playing field” with other parts of the city that get a natural flow of traffic.

“The East End’s got traffic and plenty of party, plenty of the highways, plenty of people coming through,” he said.

How to go

When: 4:30 to 9 p.m. on June 29

Cost: $25 per person

What people get: They get access to pulled pork barbecue, drinks and bluegrass music

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 6:51pm
Neither
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 8:47pm
sounds like a good time!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Tonight, out on the street, I heard that that the $25 admission includes "a barbeque sandwich and a couple of beers".  I'm pretty sure the guy that I heard this from is not a "downtown insider", but I don't know if he got it from a reliable source, or if it was something his wife's cousin heard from her manicurist's hairdresser's brother.
Knowing the "downtown gang", I would probably lend a little more credence to this if he had reported "pulled pork on a plate and a two glasses of wine" rather than "a barbeque sandwich and a couple of beers".

(With pulled pork, I would suggest a dry rose or a plummy merlot.  With barbecue, given the great variety of spiciness possible with the sauce, a bolder red would likely be a good choice.)

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 8:45am
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 9:00am
it would take more than 2 beer to get me to move like that... LOL
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 3:54pm
If we moved like that a little more often, we might not be the fattest nation on earth. Great workout. Thanks bumper.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 7:58pm
I hear Rally's has some really good bbq pulled pork sandwiches on sale right now, 2 for $2.
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 11:39pm
Why not ask Mr. Akins about pork?  He is very knowledgeable on that topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic