FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Grants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Grants
    Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 6:44am
Journal story...

Arts figure heavily in grants to improve downtown buildings

MIDDLETOWN —
More than half of the $50,000 in facade grants distributed throughout Middletown this year have gone to local arts groups, signifying the importance of the arts in revitalizing the city’s downtown, various arts organizers said.

The arts groups — the Pendleton Art Center, the Middletown Art Center, Sorg Opera House and the Art Central Foundation — received a total of $33,880 from the Downtown Middletown Facade Grant Program, designed to support projects that improve the exteriors of the buildings.

Moreover, the arts organizations received the largest individual grants, with both Pendleton and the Art Central Foundation receiving more than $12,000 each for their efforts

YA KNOW, IF THE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS CITY WOULD PUT AS MUCH EFFORT INTO REVITALIZING THE WHOLE CITY AS THEY DO JUST THEIR PRECIOUS DOWNTOWN AREA, THE CITY WOULD BENEFIT MORE FROM IT. IT IS AMAZING TO SIT AND WATCH AS THESE TUNNEL VISION PEOPLE PLACE ALL OF THE EMPHASIS ON ONE SMALL AREA OF TOWN WHILE THE OTHER 90% IS NEGLECTED AND LEFT TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES. I DON'T SEE ANY HELP LIKE THIS OFFERED TO BUSINESS OWNERS IN OTHER PARTS OF TOWN. TUNNEL VISION PEOPLE RUNNING A SINGULAR FACETED ARTZY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM THAT IS WANTED BY 5% OF THE PEOPLE. NOT TOO SMART AND CERTAINLY EXCLUSIONARY TO MOST CITIZENS. NOT ONE CITY LEADER HAS COME FORTH TO ASK WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS THEIR DOWNTOWN TO BE. NO CITY LEADER SEEMS TO CARE WHAT 90% OF THE PEOPLE WANT. AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY, THEY ARE USING OUR MONEY, WITHOUT ANY VOICE IN THE MATTER, TO DISTRIBUTE TO BUSINESSES THAT WE HAVE NO DESIRE TO PATRONIZE.

I LIKE THIS FROM SUE WITTMAN........

“It’s great that more of the arts organizations downtown got these grants, with Middletown trying to revitalize itself as an arts community

NOT A CLUE AS TO HAVING A FEEL FOR THE PULSE OF THE COMMUNITY. TYPICAL DOWNTOWN PERSON WITH BLINDERS ON. LIKE ALL DOWNTOWN DREAMERS, DOESN'T HAVE A DESIRE TO ACCOMODATE THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE......JUST WANT WHAT THEY WANT AND TO HELL WITH EVERYONE ELSE. MERCY, THIS IS GETTING OLD.

A lot of nonprofits just don’t have the money they can put into beautifying the buildings,” Wittman said, noting that most of their funds go toward programming.

AND THAT'S A PERFECT REASON WHY THE CITY SHOULDN'T BE SATURATED WITH NON-PROFITS WITTMAN. NON-PROFITS ASK FOR TOO MANY HANDOUTS. TURN THE PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT OVER TO PRIVATE FOR-PROFIT BUSINESSES WHO WOULD BE SELF-SUSTAINING AND ELIMINATE ALL THE HANDOUTS OF OUR MONEY.

“The community packaging the arts centers is actually fulfilling needs. By focusing in on the arts in a four- or five-block area, you have a marriage of the old historical buildings and making them bright and colorful. Our building has a contemporary, straight-edged look,” Belisle said.

Even so, the revitalization helps build awareness of the arts organizations downtown. There are so many arts organizations now that sometimes the Middletown Arts Center, the oldest organization in the bunch, sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

“There are still people who do not know we’re here, and we’ve been here since 1956. We’re at the root of the arts in this community,” she said.

AND EXACTLY WHAT IS ALL OF THIS "ARTS CRAP" SUPPOSE TO DO TO STIMULATE THE JOB MARKET HERE IN TOWN? PATHETIC PAY/LITTLE OPPORTUNITY. VERY LITTLE MONETARY IMPACT AS TO SPENDING AND MONEY FLOW HERE EITHER. FOR THE AMOUNT OF EFFORT AND IMPORTANCE THE CITY IS PLACING ON THIS THEME, IT WILL YIELD VERY FEW REWARDS FOR MIDDLETOWN AS TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT. HOW CAN IT WHEN IT ONLY ATTRACTS 5% OF THE PEOPLE? THIS IS NOT WHAT MIDDLETOWN NEEDS RIGHT NOW. TOTALLY MISFOCUSED......AGAIN. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 7:00am
Sounds to me that the Art's Community is trying to make another Yellow Springs or Berkeley CA in Middletown.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 8:43am
Don't get me wrong the Art's has a place in all civilizations, however, they are usually a small part. The Art's has not been a catalyst to create jobs. Lower Taxes, Less Government Bureaucracy, and Well Maintain infrastructure create and attract jobs. All the Art's do is act as a way to help retain high end jobs. But given the majority of Middletown are Blue Collar workers, that would rather watch a sporting event, than go see an art exhibit, means that the city council  and the mayor are living in a fantasy world where they think that Downtown will heal all of Middletown.

Unfortunately they are sadly mistaken. If Middletown City Government is Serious about changing it's image, and growing itself. They have to start on the East End and work toward Downtown. Starting with making the area around I-75 pleasant to look at by getting rid of all the bill boards, beautifying the ramps by I-75, building Sidewalks and curbs along Ohio 122 & Towne Blvd., and replacing the street lamps with newer decorative ones like they have in Springboro.

Once you start to make the entrance to the city appealing you need to start working on improving the neighborhoods and subdivisions. Once people start to see that the city is actually doing something to improve streets, curbs, sidewalks, and strictly enforcing the city ordinances about grass, and junk vehicles. People might actually start to improve their own yards and houses to make there neighborhoods a nice place to live in. Then people from outside of Middletown will take notice and slowly begin to move into these neighborhoods once again, and the houses that are empty, might start attracting flippers to improve them for sale.

And the idea is you start doing that one neighborhood at a time, when you finally arrive at Downtown Middletown. I am willing to bet by that time, downtown Middletown would be growing on its own without any need of assistance from the city, just because of the people living there would want to also do business there.

There is no reason why Middletown has to put up with the image of "Middletucky" it has in the Dayton Cincinnati Area. There is no reason why Middletown can't reinvent itself to become the Springboro or Mason of the Area. It has a great location for families to go to work, and all the conveniences to shop and eat from. We the Citizens of Middletown need to start kicking out these clowns on council and start putting in people that actually want to improve all of Middletown not just Downtown, and appeases the arts community.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 8:58am
I know it is my pipe dream for the city, what's yours?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

I know it is my pipe dream for the city, what's yours?

The city leader vision for the city is inverted. Currently, the focus is on improving downtown, an area of town that has seen little activity for the last three decades. The decline of downtown started in 1958 when the Middletown Shopping Center and I-75 were built. Breile Blvd and the associated businesses that cropped up along that area is still the place to be within Middletown proper. Further expansion of the east side needs to happen both west and east of the freeway. That is where the traffic is. That is where the best business opportunities present themselves. Midd. Shop. Ctr and I-75 started the growth direction away from the west and south sides and placed the growth emphasis toward the east. To revive a long dead area of town known as downtown first, before completely developing the east side on both sides of the freeway is incorrect. There is more activity on the east side than the west or south sides and along their precious S. Main St. area. Downtown comes last to develop, not first. Contrary to popular city leader opinion, the downtown is afterthought backseat fluff when compared to the importance of the east end.

City involvement and obsession with the downtown development, at this time, is a waste of money and time. The right time to pay attention to the downtown is when ALL OTHER AREAS of town, particularly the east side, have been completely developed. Like college courses, the downtown is an elective when all other core courses have been fulfilled. Instead, they are treating it like it's the only subject offered on the curriculum. Pure nonsense.

Growing the city? Jobs, jobs and more jobs....and not the service industry either. Don't need more "cleaning, clerk or maid service" paying jobs. No pay, no bennies, no hope for people who have those jobs. Government jobs, corporate jobs, technical jobs and skilled trade jobs like auto mechanics, (not the "backyard mechanic" types either) and robotics programming. Decent jobs that will bring people to town, perhaps decide to locate in town, closer to the job.....buy a house, shop the stores, spend the money....keep it flowing. Stimulation-economically with purchasing- cars, appliances, furniture, groceries, entertainment..... money flow. The town grows, investors see it and decide to locate their business here.....no need for the city to get involved. Just supply the basic roads/infrastructure/safety requirements for the people and STAY OUT OF THE WAY and let it happen. BUT NO, not these people. Got to have their nose in everything and everybody's business.....and they're not very good at what they're doing. Poor government from the city manager on down, including city council.

With so many important issues to address for the health of this town and they insist on concentrating on the downtown with their little arts theme? You're kidding.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 11:57am
Spineless Ones will continue to throw money out the window trying to bring Downtown alive once again.We will in up like Detroit.WinkWink
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 2:14pm
unfortunately admins have mucked it up down there for over 40 years
repetition and failing to learn from prior efforts that didn't work

the private sector is the only segment that can bring it back
let the area and private efforts determine what will fly on it's own
may not be exactly as the Donham "vision", but at least it might sustain and/or evolve

sadly, "art" won't do it
not enough broad interest--few jobs provided/created--minimal sales so far
plus--the arts will never stand on their own--they must be continually subsidized just by their nature
Sure--they have a cool place in the mix, but it clearly hasn't worked or improved over the few years that we have tried
And I love art--have a house full--bought a few down there

"old" won't do it either--there is honestly little historic connection imo, and I have lived here for over 60 years
tear the junk buildings down, and re-build with newer, more-appealing structures to the younger generations(they simply don't connect to how it was 50 years ago--YES, IT HAS BEEN THAT LONG!)

jmo--call me whatever........
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 2:37pm
You better wear a helmet when talking to the art zealots and suggesting that their vision won't work.  Those artsy types not only love their art but they love for YOU to pay for it through taxes, grants, etc.   Art types have a thought process that does not involve mundane things like finance, supply/demand, or business sense.  Those type of topics are boring and not exciting or creative.

What they will tell you is a lot of fluff about how a well-rounded community needs the arts, yada yada.  In other words -- I have a hobby, I want you to pay for my hobby.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

You better wear a helmet when talking to the art zealots and suggesting that their vision won't work.  Those artsy types not only love their art but they love for YOU to pay for it through taxes, grants, etc.   Art types have a thought process that does not involve mundane things like finance, supply/demand, or business sense.  Those type of topics are boring and not exciting or creative.

What they will tell you is a lot of fluff about how a well-rounded community needs the arts, yada yada.  In other words -- I have a hobby, I want you to pay for my hobby.

It is truely amazing to know the city leaders listen to this small group of self appointed, "special" people. It is also amazing to watch as the city leaders give these people virtually anything they desire. Why, when what they do means so little to the city as to jobs, pay, interest and opportunity for the masses. Incredible thinking trying to turn a blue collar former manufacturing town into an "arts mecca" for the Midwest. Why would anyone think this is doable, much less sustainable? Wrong climate, wrong class of people in the majority and a piece of the puzzle that will never fit into the overall personality of this city.

Do I really need a helmet? Are they capable of inflicting any pain? (other than to witness how they think)

I too have several hobbies that I would want them to pay for. Turn about is fair play, right? They can all pool their money and add to my record album collection, assembled since the 50's. Got another hobby.....sports cars. Perhaps they can foot the bill for a Ferrari, an original Shelby Cobra (no kit car please) or Lamborghini for the old Vet household. Whatcha say artzy people? I help fund your little arts infatuation and you help old Vet with a car or two.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 5:49pm
WOW, ktf1179,Very succinct in your analysis. I don't understand how you can see it so clearly and those at the city building can not. What you said should be our city vision to follow forward. I love art but not to the total exclusion of the rest of our city and what is best for the masses not the "chosen few".JMO Thank you ktf1179 and VET
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 6:07pm
vet you might stand a better chance of just getting a few painted up cool looking hoods scattered on your lawn and hanging from your trees with purdy lights shinning on-em LOL
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

WOW, ktf1179,Very succinct in your analysis. I don't understand how you can see it so clearly and those at the city building can not. What you said should be our city vision to follow forward. I love art but not to the total exclusion of the rest of our city and what is best for the masses not the "chosen few".JMO Thank you ktf1179 and VET
The problem with any idea about what the city could do is that (1) we don't have the $$ for it and (2) is it even the city's role to do what you are outlining?  As for the East End, where is the money to do all this beautifying you mention?  You talk as if there is some endless pot.  The main reason anything gets attention downtown is that there are fed dollars for certain things and there are city dollars that can easily be swiped (misused?) from one fund and used in a different venture.  My guess is that the work that could be done in the East End either is way too expensive, even compared to the downtown spending, or we are not able to get any kind of government funding for any of the work.  Simple as that.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2013 at 9:26pm
but bill---didn't Mr.A have the entire city limits declared a poverty zone(54%) so that money could specifically be used on the east end--particularly Towne Mall?

Has admin already given up on that new ownership, coupled with the Neyer collapse?

What is MMF doing besides interviewing up-coming Council candidates--and why that?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

The problem with any idea about what the city could do is that (1) we don't have the $$ for it and (2) is it even the city's role to do what you are outlining?  As for the East End, where is the money to do all this beautifying you mention?  You talk as if there is some endless pot.  The main reason anything gets attention downtown is that there are fed dollars for certain things and there are city dollars that can easily be swiped (misused?) from one fund and used in a different venture.  My guess is that the work that could be done in the East End either is way too expensive, even compared to the downtown spending, or we are not able to get any kind of government funding for any of the work.  Simple as that.

Correct if I'm wrong but isn't most of the development in the East End done with private money....ie-no government money asked for? Lowes, Applebees, Kroger, Towne Mall, Drury Inn, Bobby Evans, Wally-Mart....all done with private dollars. All out by the freeway with high visability as opposed to downtown, 7 miles to the west with a 10 car thru-put on any given day. Downtown is, for the most part the exact opposite, right? Total welfare state down there. Didn't we have money from the feds or state to beautify the entryway ramps out on I-75? Thought Kohler wanted a fancy fountain out there at one time. What happened to the finishing touches after the construction was completed? The entryway to the city has not been finalized. Looks like it's still awaiting completion and has been forgotten about by city leaders. Where's the landscaping and the fancy wrought iron fence on top of the bridge that Centerville and Austin Blvd. have? All the emphasis on the downtown while the highly visable I-75 entry looks the way it does? Wrong focus....inept thinking....again. The East End way of development, using the private sector money, seems to be a tad bit more successful than the city method of using taxpayer dollars to pay for it all downtown.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 8:22am
Practically every project on the east side received some find of taxpayer support through city paid infrastructure improvements, tax abatement, or tax deferral.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 9:27am

Middletown29 - Practically every project on the east side received some find of taxpayer support through city paid infrastructure improvements, tax abatement, or tax deferral.

Middletown29
    Comparing “Your Downtown” to the
East End is like comparing a watermelon to a grape.
    Not that long ago you had Downtown Buildings that once held businesses that offered employment and paid property tax. The majority of these buildings have now been given away to NON-PROFITS that will never pay another dime in property taxes into the community coffers. Not only did you give the buildings away in an act of pure desperations you are now helping fund the restoration of these buildings with tax payers dollars.
Where is all that BIG BUCK PRIVATE investment that I keep hearing about from City Hall.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 10:52am
Lets face facts and analyze Middletown's historic, indeed mammoth failures on facts.

Lets start with the city leadership's nonsensical focus upon downtown as a destination or hub for new residents and individuals coming for a visit. They chose this strategy for one reason---because the Moorman's happened to have a business in town and moved it downtown, then by gosh, Middletown is going to be a hub of art! Guess what? That is wrong for many reasons. Firstly, there is extremely nice art meccas from Cincinnati to Dayton, nothing uniqie in Middletown. Same with music, education. Its called market parity peple.

Next, art doesn't compensate for high taxes, dismal street/ infrastructure, concern many would have associated with breathing AK Steel output, school system reputation, crime, poverty. So...calling Middletown an art destination is negated on what hypothetical benefit (which is in parity with countless areas offering competition of same venue), with 10 negatives that outweigh the perceived benefit. So, at end of day, its a negative, + 1 doesn't absorb 10 net -, its that easy to review and visualize results.

Besides bargain, fire sale prices for houses, what is the allure for people moving in? There is none. Regardless of what I pay for at a fire sale, what good does it so to buy low and sell...even lower? That is why nothing is moving in real esate.

In sum, Middletown is and will never be a destination city. Two, regardless of low prices, Middletown will never attract new residents that the net + influx is > than - outflux. Why? For one + benefit, there are 15 net- negatives.

That is the reason this dumping money down the drain, the downtown "Money Pit" is doomed.

Middletown will never come back. It will never be an art center based upon one entity doing it, ergo, The Moorman's BV, Stained, et al. Just like the Atrium will NEVER be a biomedical center and catalyst.

The Fat Lady sang...35 years ago folks. Sorry about the misfortune, but---its reality time.

Perhaps Old Historic Guy also does asphalt? Maybe his rate for street restoration is cheaper per mile, than the city's estimate.

Someone please...turn the lights out. Middletown is Detroit. The old lack of visonaries just can't see it. Objective minds did and can.               
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Practically every project on the east side received some find of taxpayer support through city paid infrastructure improvements, tax abatement, or tax deferral.

C'Mon 29, look at the activity out by the freeway generating money flow, selection of eateries, choices of shopping and self-sufficiency (no awnings or facade help for these businesses) and look at the downtown that you seem to defend time and again......no comparison as to bang for the buck. If the freeway area was indeed funded through taxpayer support as you say, and we already know the taxpayer costs and freebie handouts for your downtown, what area seems to be thriving more? Question for you and your downtown buddies.....we know what the artzy people got out of this fiasco......what the he-- did the rest of us get for our money? The downtown is a joke when considering time and money spent on this so-called artzy, cultural crap with most in town not interested, and seeing the end result.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 12:25pm
Doug McNeil and the Atrium (Premiere), got $5.5 Mm from street infrastructure funds; the city got a hospital that was in Middleton, to be moved to a site its partially in Middletown (for tax considerations). I guess one could argue if you need open heart surgery, you benefited from saving 20 minutes in driving.

As for downtown, the catalysts for that is Doug Beam, Mulligan(s), Kohler, others living on Main, taking city money, to prop up their property valuation. its that simple.

not rocket science here; about as obvious as a man wearing a blue print suit and tie in a nudist colony). Heck, Forest Gump figured this one out.   

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 1:16pm
Their hands are not clean on so. main st. Lot's of repairs done on houses belonging to council and city employees with diverted moneys and supplies.Check it out. Kohler knows all about it but will deny,deny deny!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 6:37am
Speaking of downtown, is there "trouble in paradise"?.....Journal story

Middfest wants to move to MUM campus

MIDDLETOWN —
When Middfest returns this October, it will not be on Donham Plaza for the first time in its history.

After 32 years of introducing the city to the nations of the world in and around Middletown’s City Building, Middfest plans to move the bulk of its activities to Miami University Middletown for a multi-country retrospective, said the organization’s executive director, Virgina Ritan

“I didn’t particularly want to move out of downtown, but circumstances happen. Maybe we’ll be back; who knows?” Ritan said.

CIRCUMSTANCES HAPPEN? DETAILS?

The change was necessitated in large part by new arrangements at the City Building. Middfest and other offices moved out of the City Building to make room for Middletown City Schools offices. That made holding a festival on Donham Plaza impractical.

“We decided we simply couldn’t plan anything that complicated not knowing where we going to be,” Ritan said. “So we began to talk to Miami, and they welcomed us.”

Downtown supporters were disappointed but understanding about Middfest’s relocation. Adriane Scherrer, the director of the We Can Business Incubator, which is temporarily housing Middfest’s offices, said Donham Plaza is in poor condition.

“If the Broad Street Bash grew to a point where we needed more open space to have it, with the condition the plaza is in right now, I wouldn’t move the Bash down there. It doesn’t reflect well on our community,” Scherrer said. “They’re not planting anything, and they haven’t been able to keep up with the deterioration of the bricks on the plaza.”

"DOESN'T REFLECT WELL ON OUR COMMUNITY"- HMMM "NOT PLANTING ANYTHING", "NOT KEEPING UP WITH THE DETERIORATION".....BUT, BUT, THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND MONEY FOR OTHER THINGS DOWN THERE LIKE BUYING BUILDINGS, THEN GIVING THEM AWAY AND FACADE IMPROVEMENTS AND PAC AWNINGS.

WHAT? DONHAM PLAZA, RIGHT OUTSIDE GILLELAND'S WINDOW IS DETERIORATING? HOW CAN THIS BE? DID THEY CONCENTRATE SO MUCH ON CINCY STATE AND THE PAC THAT THEY FORGOT OLD DONHAM PLAZA AND THE AESTHETIC APPEAL OF THE CITY BUILDING? SAY IT AIN'T SO! OLD JEFF WHAT'S HIS NAME IS A LANDSCAPER AND WORKS OUT OF THE CITY BUILDING RIGHT?. WHY HASN'T JEFF ? TAKEN UP THE CARE OF DONHAM THROUGH THE BEAUTIFY MIDDLETOWN PROGRAM (OR WHATEVER IT"S CALLED)

Linda Moorman, who co-owns BeauVerre studios, said, “Middfest International will be missed downtown this fall. We feel that the partnership with Miami University is such a good fit for the festival and will breathe new life and direction into the event.

“Middfest, to us, is a walking museum that comes to Middletown once a year and lets us all learn about our neighbors in other countries,” she said. “We support this change and wish them good weather.”

DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE DOWNTOWN FOLKS ARE TOO TORN UP ABOUT MIDFEST LEAVING. KINDA NONCHALANT ABOUT IT AREN'T THEY? A NICE POLITE SENDOFF FROM ONE OF THE DOWNTOWN GURUS. DID MIDFEST NOT FIT INTO THE DOWNTOWN PLANS SO THEY REDUCED THE FUNDING, KICKED THEM OUT OF THE CITY BUILDING AND KINDA "NUDGED" THEM OUT? MIDFEST FITS INTO THE "ARTS AND CULTURE" THEME DOESN'T IT? DUNNO.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 10:09am
I got a Great IDEA. How about we have 2 Downtown's? Downtown on the East side built near  I-75 where new business can move in and build their new buildings, and Old Downtown which could be all empty buildings made into a Museum's  as a relic to what Middletown use to be. Oh wait it is that already.  LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 6:25am
Journal- Sept 5th.......

Pendleton ready to display renovations

MIDDLETOWN —
This week’s First Friday will give the Pendleton Art Center the opportunity to show off extensive renovations on the second floor.

That floor now contains two ballroom spaces that can be rented for public events like weddings, reunions and community meetings. The existing space holds about 350 people while the new, smaller space can hold 100, said Suzanne Sizer, the spokeswoman for the facility.

The upstairs renovations were completed with the help of a facade grant from the city that allowed newly installed windows to let more light onto the second floor. Pendleton received $12,500 for the windows, to pressure-wash the exterior, paint the north side, paint signage, install new awnings, and replace a window in the front. The north side of Pendleton became visible from Verity Parkway after the Swallens building was torn down. That side of the building was painted purple, the color of the Middies.

YESSIR, PRESSURE WASHING THE EXTERIOR, PAINTING IT PURPLE, THE "COLOR OF THE MIDDIES", NEW AWNINGS AND SPIFFY WINDOWS TO ALLOW MORE LIGHT IN THAT SECOND FLOOR (FOR AMBIANCE OF COURSE) CERTAINLY TRUMPS ANY FOCUS ON THE LOUSY STREETS, CRUMBLING SEWERS, INCREASED CRIME, OVERWHELMING DRUG ACTIVITY IN TOWN, LOSS OF BUSINESS, GENERAL DECAY OF THE REST OF THE CITY AND EMPTY LOTS WITH NO REPLACEMENT FROM THE BUILDING DEMOLISHING FRENZY THAT IS OCCURING. GOTTA KEEP THE 50 ARTISTS IN TOWN HAPPY AT THE EXPENSE OF THE OTHER 48,000 PEOPLE WHO NEED THE BASICS UPGRADED.

“We’re going to start doing art exhibits here,” Sizer said of the new space. “This smaller room is really going to be nice for smaller meetings and can be used a lot more than a hall.” She suggested it would be good for local groups like Kiwanis and Rotary.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE DOWNTOWN FOLKS ARE TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS TO THE MAJORITY OF THE CITY'S INTEREST. TUNNEL VISION AT IT'S BEST FROM THESE ARTS PEOPLE. SELFISH, EXCLUSIONARY ATTITUDES.....AND WE ARE FORCED TO CATER TO THIS?

The larger hall hosts about six to eight events per year, examples including the Art Central Foundation’s Mardis Gras party

NO DOUBT, WITH THIS AMOUNT OF ACTIVITY, THE TAXPAYER CERTAINLY DID GET THEIR MONEY'S WORTH IN FOOTING THE BILL.

“I just appreciate the work the Pendleton has put into trying to get this place turned around. I think it’s a good fit for us. We tend to move along in the upper-scale event you don’t see everywhere,” said Spicer. Her business has catered such well-known events as the annual Charity Ball that benefits Atrium Medical Center

THANK THE PEOPLE WHO INVOLUNTARILY PAID FOR ALL OF THIS MS. SPICER.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic