FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy Conservation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy Conservation
    Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 11:36am
Journal story....

MIDDLETOWN

District’s energy conservation project moves forward

MIDDLETOWN —
An energy conservation project is moving after the Middletown Board of Education on Monday approved the sale of bonds for the project that will save the district nearly $100,000 a year in additional energy savings.

The bonds are expected to raise $846,676 for the project that will include a retrofit of lighting fixtures in the district’s eight elementary school buildings to increase energy efficiency as well as the retrofitting of the lighting fixtures and electrical system at Barnitz Stadium and its parking lot, according to district officials

OK, A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS HERE....

THE NEW ELEMENTARIES WERE BUILT IN 2007-2008.

ONLY A FEW YEARS OLD. WHY WEREN'T THE LATEST AND GREATEST ENERGY EFFICIENT LIGHTS PUT IN THESE NEWLY BUILT SCHOOLS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND WHY ARE THESE LIGHTS BEING RETROFITTED AFTER THIS SHORT OF TIME, REQUIRING YET MORE MONEY BEING SPENT IN ADDITION TO THE 45 MIL BONDS THAT WERE USED? I CAN UNDERSTAND BARNITZ STADIUM. FAIRLY ANTIQUATED I WOULD IMAGINE. WAS THIS FORWARD THINKING?

George Long, the district’s business manager, told the board that the additional energy savings will allow the repayment of the debt of the bonds

IN HOW MANY YEARS?

He recently told the board that the energy savings will enable the district to improve the stadium lighting without any additional cost to taxpayers.

DIDN'T THEY JUST IMPROVE THE LIGHTING AT THE STADIUM A FEW YEARS AGO? DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY WHEN.

Middletown’s annual electric bill has been reduced from $1.9 million a year to $1.2 million over the past several years, according to Putnam

Putnam’s workers control each building’s heating, cooling and lighting systems based on the time of day and use of the building

EXCELLENT

The lighting fixtures at the elementary buildings — which are only six to eight years old

??

Inside the school buildings, 32-watt bulbs will be replaced with 28-watt bulbs, Putnam said. As well, any existing incandescent bulb is replaced with a compact florescent bulb.

WHY WERE INCANDESCENT LIGHTS CONSIDERED AT ALL?

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 3:58pm
The new elementary schools have what was the "latest and greatest" energy efficient lighting at the time they were designed and built.  There have been dramatic developments in that regard, and this state financing gives us the chance to upgrade and save additional electrical costs.

No, the lighting at Barnitz was not recently improved.

As the article stated, the energy savings will pay for the cost of the project over 8.6 years.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 8:14am
I am curious to know when the next School or City Bond Issue will be paid off next?
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 8:40am
The one currently on the ballot? 37.5 years from what I remember seeing on the ballot itself. 
Itsa me, mario!
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 9:35am
What about the past Bond Issues and Levies when are they due to expire?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 10:31am
Bond Levies......long term commitments from a declining city population, in a city where the average income is also declining due to the elimination/availability of decent paying jobs in the city and the "low income attraction" theme. 37 and a half years is an awfully long time to make payments on anything and is seven years longer than your standard 30 year mortgage. You children and their children will be paying on the bond issues passed for YOUR elementaries from 2007-2008. Now, if the middle school bond levy passes, just add another chunk of change payout on two bond levy payments and add another 5 years to the middle school levy.

Now, ask yourself, at the end of these payouts, if I'm still alive that is, what will I, my children and their children get for our money? Will it be what we have now (and the last 30 years).....or will it be better results in the old learning/testing category due to the monetary sacrifices made in 37 years? By that time, will the Middletown school district be able to break the "bad school system" image it has created for itself? If yes, vote for your levy. If in doubt, are you willing to give them what they want? As long as they insist on doing it their way, and producing less than acceptable results, does it really matter whether it is done in a new or old school? They haven't proven that new schools are the answer to improved performance. If not, then what was the reason for building them? If it doesn't matter, why give them the levy money?

Rolling the dice here to appease the school folks, aren't we? Are you willing to gamble your money away?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic