FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Apartments Coming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Apartments Coming
    Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 10:56am
Journal story...

HOUSING COMING DOWNTOWN

Eventually, two former Middletown buildings may provide needed downtown housing, city officials said. The former Fifth Third Bank Tower, also known as the Goetz Tower, was recently purchased by Grassroots Ohio LLC. The non-profit development group is investing an estimated $2.5 million to convert the second through seventh floors into market-rate loft apartments and renovate the first-floor into a retail location, said Mike Robinette, a principle with Grassroots.

Robinette said he expects the apartments to be between 8oo to 1,200 square feet and rent for $800 to $1,200 per month.

Hamet said housing is always one of the “essential pieces” to revitalizing an urban area.

“It puts feet on the street,” she said.

Robinette said the project probably won’t be complete until March 2015.

Investment groups recently toured the Manchester Inn & Conference Center, which has been closed for three years, and have said the former hotel probably could be converted into a hotel/apartment complex. They believe the need for housing is strong enough to support the Manchester and the area needs a banquet center

800 to 1200 sq ft apartments for $800 to $1200 per month? In that location, with minimal amenities within a reasonable distance? The average rental customer in Middletown can't afford this can they? Robinette and company must be depending on attracting renters from outside that would enjoy "the artzy-cultural" thing. Don't know if the location fits in-town renters as to interest.

Anyone think they will be successful in filling the bank building?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 11:15am
I think they could be very successful for those empty nesters looking to downsize.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

I think they could be very successful for those empty nesters looking to downsize.

You may be right sw. Just trying to find a reason to rent down there given the lack of current activity and offerings. Surely those empty nesters could find a better location generating more interest than that, right? There is a commuter college and a few over-priced restaurants there now coupled with some scattered artzy dealers. Is this enough to entice people and hold their interest for any length of time? Right now, it would be a tad bit boring down there wouldn't it?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 9:01am
That is a high price to pay for 800 sq ft.  I can't imagine anyone moving down there at that price.  Most apartments in Midd area rent for less than that and offer pools, parking, fitness rooms.  What can be offered to anyone downtown?  Look outside to other areas and price apartments, Centerville is around 1000 a month for 1400 sq ft with the extras and a garage. 

I know it is too much to ask, but why don't they  look up on the internet the prices of apartments and what is offered. They will see this is just another stupid decision for downtown. 

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 2:25pm

Hmmmm…..Now 260 deluxe rental units are being built next to I-75.
Mr. Robinett’s Investment Group will be building deluxe apartments in the bank tower and above the Rose Furniture and the house next door.
Then we have more rental apartments being built at the
Journal Building
While yet another 75 apartment units are planned to be built at the Manchester Inn.
We have been assured that none of these will have Section 8 rental units

All this while City revenues are decreasing
Population is decreasing
Average income is 38,000 dollars
City to demo 300 houses that are vacant because of decline in population.

So the big question is…where will all these new citizens be coming from and where will they be employed?

HdMechanical View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 3:30pm
Just a thought......Maybe one of us need to do a little research. There is a couple transportation support services (TruckStops) being built within 15-20 miles of Middletown. Maybe we are overlooking a major player expanding or relocating in this area. Those companies did not just decide to build and locate those terminals based on a dart throw or heresay.  In reality if you was relocating close to this area for employment, Middletown still has the small town lure, and good choice of amenities without living in Dayton being subject to an airstrike or worse and big city crime. 

Never know...
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 4:16pm
Well, and airstrike in Dayton would hit Middletown as well.  LOL

If you do your research, Cincinnati would be a better marked based on companies, employment and quality of entertainment that would draw a crowd.  They have been successful in converting many old buildings to upscale condos.  But you have to look at what they have to offer.  Then look at what Middletown has in there downtown, you do not see any employment, entertainment - does not have a walking environment to local eateries. 

Also if you look into the metro areas, you will see it is young white collared workers.  If you want a successful downtown, you have to quit doing the same mistakes over and over and expecting something different.  I understand that building apartments is new, however we have many apartments downtown I would not let my dog sleep in.  Clean it up, but I forgot we are cutting our public safety.  My suggestion is to actual have a plan with goals instead of just coming up with an idea, wasting alot of money and hoping it works. 
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 11:53pm
The idea of apartment living should have been done a long time ago.  It would work b/c it has worked.  Trinity Place has been a huge success for 30 years.  The idea of individual buildings without convenient parking or amenities has not been tested.  If the city really wants more people downtown they should copycat Trinity Place.  Seems so simple, yet you rarely hear any of the downtown crowd bragging on the success just a few blocks away.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

The idea of apartment living should have been done a long time ago.  It would work b/c it has worked.  Trinity Place has been a huge success for 30 years.  The idea of individual buildings without convenient parking or amenities has not been tested.  If the city really wants more people downtown they should copycat Trinity Place.  Seems so simple, yet you rarely hear any of the downtown crowd bragging on the success just a few blocks away.

Rhodes:

"If the city really wants more people downtown they should copycat Trinity Place. Seems so simple, yet you rarely hear any of the downtown crowd bragging on the success just a few blocks away."

Not sure....Trinity Place represents subsidized housing doesn't it? If so, even though the city leaders voluntarily brought low income to town and agreed to the Trinity Place location and tenant status, I doubt that it fits into their "upscale/artzy/wine tastin'/cheese eatin'/ cultural environment they are trying to create in THEIR downtown. Probably not mentioned because they are ashamed to have it so close to their "cultural mecca". It would damage the "refined" image they are so desperate to capture down there. Places like the Hope House and other homeless shelters and the gala-colored "border town" gold shops up by the railroad tracks on Central aren't necessarily in the downtown spotlight. Places like the Liberty are tolerated in close vicinity because it is an icon, like the Jug, in this city JMO
HdMechanical View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HdMechanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

Well, and airstrike in Dayton would hit Middletown as well.  LOL

If you do your research, Cincinnati would be a better marked based on companies, employment and quality of entertainment  

I agree, but these companies have already broke ground.........So what in their research was the deciding factor for the location.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 10:17am
Good morning HD,

If you look at Cincy, you see companies/employment downtown.  A lot of the individuals that buy/rent there, work in the downtown area.  Therefore no need to commute, they walk to work or ride a bus. 

What companies have broke ground in  downtown Midd that will provide income to an individual to afford an 800 to 1400 a month rent payment.  To live in and work in the same area.  It just isn't there.  Bring employment in, and the people will come.

I get what Midd wants to do downtown - Look at Hyde Park - neat little community in Cincy.  The little store front shops they have there are very high class, don't see any pawn shops like Midd. 

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 10:22am
We sure are going to have a LOT of downtown appts. The Journal building, the bank builing, maybe The Manchester. Just one guestion, where are ALL these renters coming from???
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 1:15pm
Trinity Place has never been subsidized housing.  If anything, I think they're the most expensive apartments in Middletown.  The place has a reputation for being expensive and well maintained.  That's the first time I've ever heard anyone lump Trinity Place into the low income pool.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

Trinity Place has never been subsidized housing.  If anything, I think they're the most expensive apartments in Middletown.  The place has a reputation for being expensive and well maintained.  That's the first time I've ever heard anyone lump Trinity Place into the low income pool.

THIS IS WHERE I MUST HAVE HEARD ABOUT TRINITY AND HUD/SECTION 8...THE ADDRESS LISTED ON THE SITE IS CLARK ST. THAT'S THE LOCATION, RIGHT?

Trinity Manor Senior Housing Limited Partnership has 91 total units with 90 assisted living units. The property is intended for the Elderly (202) housing program. Last inspected on 07/07/2010, Trinity Manor Senior Housing Limited Partnership earned a Housing Quality Standards score of 99 out of 100, which means the living conditions of the property are far above average. A score of 86 or above is considered healthy and safe by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and any property that scores below an 86 should be avoided.

The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) department provides a "standard housing" score that reflects the physical condition of a residential unit.
HUD Inspection Score99out of 100

The Trinity Place site gives the rent, depending on aq. ft., from around $550 for the smallest to around $900 for one that is 1345 aq. ft.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 3:44pm
Vet, you're talking about Trinity Manor which is a building that is across from the Trinity Place apartments on Clark.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 10:36pm
Instead of the city bulldozing houses at random, they ought to target the neighborhood behind Holy Trinity and wipe it out completely.  That would make for a nice apartment community.  Bordered by Clark, Manchester, Crawford, & Reinartz.  Have a lot of green space or a lake (retention pond) in the middle.  It would eliminate a lot of grit downtown and could provide a huge influx of working citizens that could cause some actual business growth on Central, from the depot down to Clark.  That's how you make downtown growth happen.  For downtown to succeed, it can't be limited events.  It needs to be an ongoing lifestyle happening, every day.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2013 at 10:43pm
I tried to edit my previous post, but there is some weird little screen telling me I waited past 5 min. and I don't have permission. ???  I guess there must be a big problem with edits on this site?  Anyhow...

I meant Charles St., not Crawford St. in the above post.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2013 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Vet, you're talking about Trinity Manor which is a building that is across from the Trinity Place apartments on Clark.

Thank you for the clarification Bill. Wasn't sure there was a difference.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2013 at 9:50am
I thought there were sec 8 voucher holders in Trinity Place. Somebody call the sec8 office and ask.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic