FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Departing council members

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Departing council members
    Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 4:36pm
From MJ:
Two departing council members proud of their service
By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
While they didn’t serve on City Council as long as they hoped — both were defeated in the November election — Josh Laubach and Ann Mort believe their years on council were beneficial and they’re leaving the city in better shape.

They will attend their final council meeting tonight and Dora Bronston, who was the top vote-getter and was elected to a four-year term, will be sworn in as the newest member. Since a charter change and the elimination of the ward election system, council has dwindled from seven to five members.

Laubach, who served four years, and Mort, who completed half of Tom Allen’s unexpired four-year term, called their years on council successful. Mort said the city is “getting on the right track,” and Laubach said it’s moving in a “positive direction.”

Mort credited some of the movement to Judy Gilleland, the city manager, who she said is “cleaning up a lot of things that are hard to do.” She mentioned the demolition of dilapidated houses in the city and Section 8 housing. Mort, who calls herself “a cheerleader” for the city, also believes some of the “quality of life” events in the city are returning or being revamped.

Mort, who earlier in her career served on the Middletown Board of Education, said being a council member is “much easier” because the decisions don’t always impact children, who are “most important” in every family.

“I don’t get calls at midnight about potholes,” she said with a laugh.

When asked about her proudest moment, she talked about working with the fellow council members and city staff through issues that don’t appear on the council agenda.

The hardest part?

“Sometimes keeping my mouth shut,” she said. “And the budget. You are making decisions that impact people’s lives and livelihood. The budget always comes up right before the holidays.”

Now that she isn’t on council, Mort said she hopes to concentrate her efforts on increasing the city’s recycling. She said Middletown’s recycling rate is the lowest in the county and “there is no need for that.”

When asked about her future, she added: “I’m not done annoying people yet.”

Laubach will be remembered, he said, for “bringing a different perspective” to council. He always was the one who questioned most decisions, especially financially.

He described his time on council as “productive, hard and tiring at times.” The biggest challenge, he said, was standing alone on many issues.

He wasn’t sure if politics will be in his future. Four years ago, Laubach and A.J. Smith, who was 20 when he elected in 2009, were anointed the fresh faces on council because of their youthful ages. But Smith, 24, resigned from council earlier this year and Laubach, a few days short of his 32rd birthday, wasn’t re-elected.

“Time changes everything,” he said. “Nothing is guaranteed.”
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 5:09pm

When asked about her proudest moment, she [Ann Mort] talked about working with the fellow council members and city staff through issues that don’t appear on the council agenda.

But...but...but..Ann, according to state law, city council is only permitted to discuss city business at official, open city council meetings!!!  And, Ann, according to Middletown's city charter, city council is NOT permitted to discuss city business with city staff except through the City Manager!!!
Are you admitting that city council routinely flaunts the law, Ann???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 5:12pm

The hardest part?

“Sometimes keeping my mouth shut,” she [Ann Mort] said.

Obviously this is correct!!!  (See the previous post!!!  You just implied that city council is composed of a group of scofflaws!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 5:52pm
Well, let's see.....

"Josh Laubach and Ann Mort believe their years on council were beneficial and they’re leaving the city in better shape."

DEFINITELY A MATTER OF OPINION

"Mort said the city is “getting on the right track,” and Laubach said it’s moving in a “positive direction.”"

WHOOPS, ANOTHER MATTER OF OPINION

"Mort credited some of the movement to Judy Gilleland, the city manager, who she said is “cleaning up a lot of things that are hard to do.” She mentioned the demolition of dilapidated houses in the city and Section 8 housing."

GOOD LORD! STILL THINKING GILLELAND IS THE ANSWER FOR THIS CITY, RIGHT MORT? DID YOU REALIZE GILLELAND WAS ONE OF THE AGREEABLE PEOPLE IN THE ORIGINAL RAMPING UP OF SECTION 8? NOW SHE'S "CLEANING IT UP?"

"The hardest part?

“Sometimes keeping my mouth shut,” she said."

NO COMMENT.

"Now that she isn’t on council, Mort said she hopes to concentrate her efforts on increasing the city’s recycling. She said Middletown’s recycling rate is the lowest in the county and “there is no need for that.”"

PERHAPS IF RUMPKE RETURNED THE RED RECYCLING BINS TO THE HOMES, WE WOULD START RECYCLING AGAIN. BINS HAVE BEEN GONE ON OUR BLOCK FOR A YEAR OR TWO.

"When asked about her future, she added: “I’m not done annoying people yet.”"

AT LAST, A HINT OF TRUTH FROM MS. "GOODNEWS". THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU YET MORT.

"Laubach will be remembered, he said, for “bringing a different perspective” to council. He always was the one who questioned most decisions, especially financially.

He described his time on council as “productive, hard and tiring at times.” The biggest challenge, he said, was standing alone on many issues."

I ADMIRED THAT ABOUT YOU MR. LAUBACH. YOUR STANDING ALONE ON ISSUES AND QUESTIONING THINGS THAT DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT. ( THAT'S GOTTA BE AT LEAST 90% OF THE CRAP THEY DISCUSS) PROBLEM IS, YOU KINDA QUIT DOING THAT THE LAST FEW YEARS OF YOUR COUNCIL EXPERIENCE. WE WERE LOOKING FOR A CHAMPION FOR THE PEOPLE. WE GOT THAT IN THE BEGINNING. THEN,..........

IT TAKES ALOT OF STAMINA TO FIGHT THESE PEOPLE. I CAN SEE WHERE THEY WOULD TEND TO WEAR DOWN THE ONES WITH THE RIGHT INTENTIONS. NO ONE WINS WHEN THE BAD GUYS OUTNUMBER THE GOOD.

TRY AGAIN WHEN YOU KNOW YOU HAVE MORE ALLIES TO HELP YOU. HOPEFULLY, WE CAN GET SOME HELP FOR YOU DOWN THE ROAD. HANG IN THERE UNTIL THEN. THIS CITY MUST PURGE THE DEADWOOD MAJORITY.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Justsayin View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justsayin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 9:17pm
Mort just loves the Queen of Middletown our lord Judith... Give us all a break!
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:07am
Vet, Rumpke substituted big green rolling recycling containers for the red bins.  All you have to do is ask for one, they are free.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Vet, Rumpke substituted big green rolling recycling containers for the red bins.  All you have to do is ask for one, they are free.

Thank you Ms. Andrew. There are two issues that confuse the situation.....

1. There are still people living on my block that have the red totes and place them for collection each Monday morning.

2. The large green totes you refer to, are very similar to Rumpke's regular garbage collection containers. Because of this, I failed to see the difference. I use my own containers and do not use anything Rumpke has issued.

We were recycling cans and taking them to Mindlin in Franklin until we got tired of hauling a pickup truck load there and coming back with ten bucks in the pocket.......not worth the time and effort to collect and store them. Not crazy about helping Rumpke make more money from my efforts either.

Nevertheless, thank you for the info.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 12:07pm
I have used the old Rumke red can for years without problems; I use a blue one the same size, and also use a blue standard can you can buy at Lowe's, Home depot, et al. This is a non issue; Rumke will take anything you put out which is in hard plastic container, and marked with specificity to assure when their recycle truck comes, usually a few hours after pick up of trash, their recycle truck and employees assigned with such, pick it up. Pretty simple.      
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 3:01pm
I am definitely not a Rumpke fan. They always block the streets. They are never one time from week to week. They always try to make as much noise as possible. And they fly down our neighborhood that is full of children outside waiting to go to school. Lastly I had to file a police report on a Rumpke trash can that was never delivered to my house when we moved here in order to get one.

I so miss Waste Management we never has this many problems with them.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2013 at 6:21am
Journal story...

Mort, Laubach remembered for different reasons

MIDDLETOWN —
On the night Middletown welcomed two members to City Council — incumbent vice mayor Dan Picard and political newcomer Dora Bronston — the two departing members were remembered for their contributions.

Ann Mort was recognized for being the city’s cheerleader, and Josh Laubach for questioning every move council made. Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr. presented both of the departing council members, who weren’t re-elected in November, with certificates of recognition and framed drawings of the City Building.

Mulligan called Mort “one of the most influential persons” in the city and added that Laubach “boldly questioned” issues during his four years on council.

Laubach then addressed council members from the podium instead of his seat. He thanked Mort for encouraging him to enter the political arena 4 1/2 years ago and fellow council member Anita Scott Jones for her dedication to her religion, family and community and for being part of the Laubach family.

Later, Laubach said the council discussions the last four years were “heated at times,” and he didn’t speak to some council members for extended periods of time.

“It’s been a long road,” said Laubach, who wasn’t re-elected in November when the size of the council was dwindled from seven to five members.

Jones assured Laubach that his defeat was just “a bend in the road.” Then she said next year’s council will have more than 250 years of life experience, but it will be without the “youthful perspective” provided by departed A.J. Smith and Laubach, the two youngest members.

In her closing remarks, Mort said, “I shall return,” though she didn’t indicate she’d run for political office again. She’s going to concentrate her efforts on publicizing local events.

During their swearing-in ceremonies, Bronston was joined by her husband, Lafayette, and Picard was accompanied by the “love of his life,” Tammi Thompson. The ceremony was conducted by Municipal Court Judge Mark Wall.

SORRY TO SEE YOU GO MR. LAUBACH. QUESTIONING THINGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PRIORITY FOR ALL COUNCIL PEOPLE TO LEARN. LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO ACTUALLY TOOK IT TO HEART. WE SHALL SEE HOW BRONSTON WILL DO. I SUSPECT THE REST WILL RUBBER STAMP EVERYTHING OFFERED WITN NARY A QUESTION ASKED. BUSINESS AS USUAL.

A TROUBLING THOUGHT IN THE STORY WHEN MORT ANNOUNCED SHE "WOULD BE BACK". GOOD LORD, LET'S HOPE NOT! A SHAME SCOTT-JONES ISN'T MORE FORCEFUL. I HAD HOPED SHE WOULD JOIN YOU IN QUESTIONING MORE THINGS. DIDN'T HAPPEN. SOMETIMES BEING DIPLOMATIC GETS YOU NOTHING IN RETURN. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, YA JUST GOTTA BRING OUT THE HEAVY GUNS TO MAKE A POINT. GOTTA WORK ON GETTING THE MULLIGAN'S OFF COUNCIL THE NEXT GO-AROUND WITH PICARD TO FOLLOW. ALL ARE BEING LED BY THE NOSE WITH GILLELAND, ADKINS, LANDEN AND THE REST OF THE L. MULLIGAN MMF GROUP PULLING THE ROPE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic