FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doug Adkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:47am
Acclaro,
Assuming that you could find a private sector individual who would be willing to take it on I doubt if he would be hired. There appears to be a bias against private sector people.

A buddy of mine was between jobs and thought it may be a way to give back if he took on the Economic Development job. He doesn't need the money. The guy is a Harvard graduate, was the Executive VP of Sales for a Fortune 250 company, had developed multi million dollar deals. Had been VP Operations for a Fortune 250 company. Knew about everyone (at high levels) in heavy manufacturing, Middletown's forte, and was willing to commit for a reasonable duration. He didn't get a second interview and they hired Robinette.

I have about zero confidence that they would consider a person from private industry.

Hopefully one of the 5 is what we need. I haven't been following it very closely and don't know any of the people so I can't judge. I am convinced that it needs to be someone from outside the current administration though.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 12:00pm
processor, I know, and you are exactly right. The public sector folks like to keep it in the family.

I can relate to your reference. I had a friend who has a Stanford MBA, who ran IBM's higher education group (servives, hardware, software) for 30 years, who also ran their university donation program. After he retired, he thought, like your friend, he would do the same, give back, and wanted to work for a small private university in fund raising.

After many interviews, and a year of time, he had no offers, as the schools couldn't bend an individual who had given them donations, knew the system, knew how to write massive grant requests, to hold a position internally. It was so biased, and he was so abundantly qualified, he went to work for a large Fortune 25.

They will hire from the group of 5, but missing what the city needs to turn itself around. And for the reasons you correctly stated.  

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:01pm
Marcia Andrew would be fantastic. She comes from a family with a financial and investment background, and she doesn't back down from a challenge. She knows Midedletown, its strengths and weaknesses.

Someone should be recruiting her over a bottle of Pinot noir.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:20pm
Dean you are probably right. She would be a good council person. Lord knows we've drill her unmercifully on this forum and she holds her own and comes back for more. You have to respect her for that.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:06am
I think when push came to shove, Ms. Andrew would "fall in line" with the rest of them. She certainly is to be commended for her participation in the school debate topics here, but seems to take the "city voice" side of things during the debate. She has to show support as the School Board President whether she truely believes in the program or not. No independents, disagreeable/out of the box, or individual thinking allowed on the school board or council. Otherwise, you are labeled as (here's my favoite word).....DISGRUNTLED.

So much for independent thinking......or a new direction for that matter.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 9:08am
Well here we go again Dougie has his but in trouble again because of what he has done to the landlords in Middletown. I wonder if council has had a chance to read this article? Do you think it will influence their decision on Dougie for city manager because now the city has to defend him AGAIN in a law suit? Well Dougie you might want to reign in some of that arrogance. IMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Well here we go again Dougie has his but in trouble again because of what he has done to the landlords in Middletown. I wonder if council has had a chance to read this article? Do you think it will influence their decision on Dougie for city manager because now the city has to defend him AGAIN in a law suit? Well Dougie you might want to reign in some of that arrogance. IMO

NOPE. THE CITY PEOPLE WON'T ADMIT TO ANY WRONGDOING ON THE PART OF ADKINS, EVEN IF PROVEN IN COURT. HE IS ONE OF THEM, AND AS SUCH, IS ACCORDED THE TREATMENT EXPECTED FROM THE "IN-CROWD" AT DONHAM PLAZA. THERE CAN BE NO FOREGIVENESS NOR DISCIPLINE ADMINISTERED IN THE RANKS OF THE CITY POWER STRUCTURE IF THERE IS NEVER AN ADMISSION OR RECOGNITION OF GUILT FROM THOSE IN HIGHER POSITIONS. MOST IN THE CITY BUILDING IN HIGHER POSITIONS CAN DO NO WRONG. IT'S THE LOWER LEVEL WORKER WHO GETS STOMPED ON IF AN EXAMPLE IS TO BE MADE. PEOPLE LIKE DOUGGIE, LES AND MARTY ARE IN THE "NO-TOUCH ZONE".

OH, AND ON THE TOPIC OF ARROGANCE.....PROBABLY A REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYMENT IN THE UPPER RANKS AT CITY HALL. I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE EMPLOYED IN THE LOWER POSITIONS THERE. MUST BE A NIGHTMARE GOING IN TO WORK EACH DAY UNDER GILLELAND AND HER HENCHMEN. JUDGING BY PAST STORIES, PROBABLY A FEAR AND INTIMIDATION TYPE OF MANAGEMENT STYLE USED.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 10:57am
Oh I'm sure you're right about that,VV. Some of these people are just trying to keep their jobs because they have bills to pay just like the rest of us. They will probably breathe a sigh of releif when she is finally gone. But don't think for a minute that we have seen the last her in this town   There is another back room deal brewing if not already set for her in some capacity in this city, mark my words. IMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 11:04am
This law suit thing is really going to interrupt Dougie and Les's bid for city manger because now they have to hurry back to their offices and shred some more papers.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic