FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Les Landen- Candidate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Les Landen- Candidate
    Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:42pm

Landen: ‘This place is important to me’

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Applying to become the next city manager never was in Les Landen’s plans. He was perfectly content serving as the city’s law director, a position he has held for more than 14 years.

But when Judy Gilleland, the city manager, announced she was retiring in June, at about the same time Landen said he “developed an interest in leadership,” he threw his hat in the ring. When Gilleland is unable to attend a City Council meeting, Landen is her replacement.

He was one of the five finalists selected from the 29 applicants, and today and Saturday, Landen and the others — Doug Adkins, director of community revitalization, Middletown; Cathy Davison, former city manager, Steubenville, Ohio; Jane Howington, city manager Newport, R.I.; and Willie Norfleet, city manager, Socorro, Texas — will interview with city officials and the public.

The public portion of the forum will be from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the City Council chambers in the lower level of the City Building.

Landen never had applied for any city manager position before, and since he was born and raised in Middletown, the job was more attractive.

“This place is important to me,” said Landen, a 1970 Middletown High School graduate. “It’s Middletown; it’s my home.”

Whoever is the next city manager must understand Middletown has to be “really vigilant” with its finances, Landen said. He said the city isn’t fortunate enough to have the financial resources to make any mistakes.

“We have to run a tight ship to stay on a financial path,” said Landen, who then compared the city’s budget to a household budget. “You can’t spend more money than you bring home in your paycheck.”

That means every decision — like whether to improve the city’s infrastructure or make cuts to public safety — won’t be popular throughout the community, he said. Landen said the city’s budget must be balanced, a practice “we have to do forever.”

Landen was asked to describe his hometown. There was no hesitation.

“This is a positive place right now,” he said. “We have been through a very, very difficult period and that’s important to understand.”

Even before the 2008 Great Recession, the city received a “significant hit” when AK Steel, its largest employer, moved its corporate headquarters down Interstate 75 to West Chester Township. Through it all, he said, Middletown has survived.

“We are still standing,” he said. “Still smiling. We are moving forward.”

Landen knows only one of the five finalists will be offered the city manager’s job. He realizes the odds are long, and if he isn’t offered the job, there would be “a level of disappointment,” he admitted. But the next day, he’d be back in his office, doing his job.

“I will be a good soldier,” Landen said. “I’m here to serve the people.”

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 3:55pm
Les in General is probably a nice guy but if he is able to be lead so easily and influenced so easily as is evident where Judy and Doug are concerned then he is NOT the person for this job.He has been caught time and again shirking his job,.disregarding the law and making things up as he goes along. No he is not "city manager" material. If this town is so important to you , you should have taken better care of it under your watch.IMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 9:01pm
Good comedy from Les....

Whoever is the next city manager must understand Middletown has to be “really vigilant” with its finances, Landen said. He said the city isn’t fortunate enough to have the financial resources to make any mistakes.

“We have to run a tight ship to stay on a financial path,” said Landen, who then compared the city’s budget to a household budget. “You can’t spend more money than you bring home in your paycheck.”

I ASK YOU, HAS LES AND THE PEOPLE HE CHOOSES TO RUN WITH BEEN "REALLY VIGILANT" WITH THE CITY'S MONEY? HOW ABOUT THE THATCHER BUILDING PURCHASES DOWNTOWN AND THE ENSUING GIVEAWAYS? THE MONEY FOR CG&E BUILDING/CS RENOVATIONS? THIS MAY NOT BE ON LANDEN'S WATCH BUT HOW ABOUT THE $350,000 FINE FROM THE ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS FOR OPENING THE DIKE BY LAKE MIDDLETOWN PREMATURELY? THE MONEY USED FOR BICENTENNIAL COMMONS? THE ENCLOSURE OF THE CITY CENTRE MALL AND THE 13 MILLION TO REMOVE THE COVER? HOW ABOUT THE LOANS TO MOORMAN AND THE MMF? HOW ABOUT THE $350,000 TOWARD THE PAC? ANY OF THIS HAD A POSITIVE OUTCOME? HOW ABOUT THE OTHER REAL ESTATE PURCHASES INCLUDING DUNCAN OIL AND THE CABINET SHOP ON CENTRAL? ANYTHING GOOD FROM THIS MONEY SPENT?

IS THIS THE TYPE OF "FRUGALITY" LANDEN IS REFERRING TO, DEMONSTRATED BY THE CITY OVER THE YEARS? HE PROVIDED THE "LEGALEES" FOR SOME OF THESE TRANSACTIONS DIDN'T HE?

“This place is important to me,” said Landen, a 1970 Middletown High School graduate. “It’s Middletown; it’s my home.”

I HAVE YOU BEAT BY FOUR YEARS ON THE GRADUATION.......AND IT'S MY HOMETOWN TOO LES......AND I DON'T APPRECIATE WHAT YOUR GROUP AND THE ONES BEFORE YOU HAVE DONE TO THE DAM TOWN EITHER.

Landen was asked to describe his hometown. There was no hesitation.

“This is a positive place right now,” he said.
“We are still standing,” he said. “Still smiling. We are moving forward.”

A "POSITIVE PLACE RIGHT NOW"? WHAT? NOT ALL OF US ARE SMILING LES. DON'T KNOW ABOUT "MOVING FORWARD" EITHER. I SEE US AS STAGNATED AT BEST. MORE LIKE LOSING GROUND THE LAST FEW DECADES.....THE CITY AND THE SCHOOLS.

“I will be a good soldier,” Landen said. “I’m here to serve the people.”

REPHRASE THAT LES. SHOULD READ "I'M HERE TO SERVE THE PEOPLE IN MY OWN LITTLE INNER CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE". YOU'VE DONE NO FAVORS FOR THE GENERAL PUBIC WITH YOUR EVER-CHANGING INTERPRETATION OF THE CITY LAWS. NO CONSISTENCY. YOU CHANGE THE LAW BASED ON THE SITUATION.

AGREE, NEVER WAS, NOR WILL BE CITY MANAGER/LEADER OF A CITY MATERIAL. LIKE ADKINS AND COUNCIL, HE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

BUT, HE IS A GOOD SINGER IN A COMEDY SITUATION.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic