Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMF-Message from Cohen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMF-Message from Cohen
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:18am
From the Journal...

Economic Success with Public-Private Partnership and Civic Pride

By Ken Cohen

Contributing Writer

Economic competitiveness. Public-private collaboration. Civic pride. These core values guide the efforts of Middletown Moving Forward (MMF), the city’s community improvement corporation to advance, promote, and encourage industrial and commercial economic development activities. Formed in 2005, Middletown Moving Forward has sharpened our focus in the last year and is moving strategically to live out our organizational values with specific strategies.

Economic Competitiveness: Middletown Moving Forward wants to improve the economic welfare of Middletown and its residents. For this to occur, it will take a variety of local and regional organizations working together to assemble all the pieces of the puzzle. Through a strategic review of existing resources, needs, and opportunities, MMF has committed to the main strategies of supporting Middletown’s redevelopment pipeline and lending expertise to business attraction, retention, and expansion efforts. Middletown Moving Forward is establishing a reinvestment fund to provide gap financing starting in 2015 to commercial and mixed-use developments in low-to-moderate income areas, particularly downtown. Secondly, MMF will gather expertise and resources to assist the city’s economic development department and regional partners to attract new businesses and retain and expand existing businesses, particularly companies that create good jobs for our citizens.

Public-Private Collaboration: No single sector can accomplish Middletown’s economic goals alone. City and county governments, private developers, business leaders, and non-profit economic development organizations like MMF have to work with a common purpose to create economic success for the community. Some people have confused our organization with other groups with similar names or groups with a political agenda. Middletown Moving Forward’s agenda is the overall economic success of Middletown through non-partisan, public-private collaboration. Middletown Moving Forward is a non-profit, does not conduct political activities, holds open meetings, and is required to have representation on its Board of Middletown public officials and city administrators. We are all in this together.

Civic Pride: Pride in Middletown is why our volunteer board is committed to MMF. We know that enhancing our city’s image and highlighting our assets will generate more of the economic activity that we all want to see. Inspired by the lessons we saw in the recent Greenville, S.C. trip we organized with sponsorship from the Middletown Community Foundation and Atrium Medical Center, MMF is pursuing two ideas to build civic pride and lead to economic growth by attracting residents and visitors to do more in our city’s business districts. In partnership with the Middletown Community Foundation and Community Building Institute, we are holding a “What If Middletown…?” Idea Scholarship Challenge (www.whatifmiddletown.com) for current college students to share ideas about what we should do for a more vibrant Middletown. Secondly, we would like to rally individuals and organizations behind a basic enhancement effort on the Verity Parkway site of the former Swallen’s building so that we can continue to have attractive spaces for exciting activities downtown.

MMF recognizes that this is simply a start, but we are up to the challenge for the sake of Middletown’s brighter future built on our bright past.

Ken Cohen is president of Middletown Moving Forward. For more information about Middletown Moving Forward, visit www.middletownmovingforward.com. Cohen is also president of Cohen USA, headquartered in Middletown.

DOES ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT THE MMF "DOESN'T CONDUCT POLITICAL ACTIVITIES" AS COHEN STATES? ABSOLUTELY NO SPONSORSHIP OF ANY CANDIDATES FOR COUNCIL? NO "SPONSORED PLACEMENT" OF THEIR PEOPLE IN KEY ROLES IN THE CITY? NONE?

AND WHY THE MENTION OF ONLY THE DOWNTOWN.....

Cohen:

"Middletown Moving Forward is establishing a reinvestment fund to provide gap financing starting in 2015 to commercial and mixed-use developments in low-to-moderate income areas, particularly downtown."

"PARTICULARLY DOWNTOWN". I THOUGHT THE MESSAGE UP UNTIL THIS POINT WAS THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF MIDDLETOWN (AS A WHOLE)
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:18am
Perfectly stated Mr. Cohen! If we all had community pride, Middletown would be a great city just like it was when it was named All-American. Get on board.  Just1 optimistic citizen.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

Perfectly stated Mr. Cohen! If we all had community pride, Middletown would be a great city just like it was when it was named All-American. Get on board.  Just1 optimistic citizen.

THIS SAME COHEN THAT YOU GIVE PRAISE TO LIVES IN MAINEVILLE NOW VACATING THE NORM FROM A FAMILY OF COHEN'S THAT HAVE LIVED HERE SINCE AT LEAST THE 50'S. HE IS SO UPDEAT ABOUT MIDDLETOWN, BUT WAIT........ HE JUST CAN'T BRING HIMSELF AROUND TO LIVE IN THE TOWN HE IS SO PRIDEFUL ABOUT. HE'S TELLING US ALL TO HAVE COMMUNITY PRIDE WHEN HE'S NOT AROUND TO SET THE EXAMPLE. HIS BUSINESS IS ALL THAT REMAINS.
OH, AND THAT ALL-AMERICAN CITY STATUS WAS IN 1958, WHEN THE CITY ACTUALLY HAD A COMPETENT GROUP OF PEOPLE RUNNING THE SHOW.

CAN'T HAVE PRIDE IN YOUR CITY WHEN ALL YOU ARE SUBJECTED TO ARE CONSTANT SCREW-UPS AND A GHETTO CREATING MENTALITY FROM INEPT PEOPLE WHO ARE RUNNING THE SHOW AND ASKING FOR NO CITIZEN INPUT AS TO IMPROVEMENTS.

I SEE YOU ENDED WITH "JUST 1 OPTIMISTIC CITIZEN". SIMILAR TO 1CHMOORE, ANOTHER STAUNCH CITY (SCHOOL) SUPPORTER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:45pm
Okay Ken, I am all in.

"What if Middletown......"

ANSWER AND DRUM ROLL-

"Would have paved all of its streets since 1986, kept its eye on Armco, and put down the clamp on its economic development department, and had gradual decline in population, without sacrificing education quality, quality of life, and sustainable economic conditions. Well, if it would have done that Ken, the city would have survived. It will now, it has AKS, MUM, C State, and a few small businesses. Now it just needs to lose 25,000 residents, or downsize, as Armco did, and then it can have a population equal to its tax payroll."

As Carole King said Ken, now its too....

http://youtu.be/J7S-aQ04xjI

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:09am
VV: still here on the sidelines, observing.   Watching the parade and saluting the flag corp. just 1chmoore.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

VV: still here on the sidelines, observing.   Watching the parade and saluting the flag corp. just 1chmoore.

ATTA BOY! ME, I'M JUST PASSING THROUGH TRYING TO MAKE IT THROUGH EACH DAY CH. ENJOY YOUR NEW SCHOOLS.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 8:26am
Mr. Vet, why not get involved? No one trying to rebuild and change Middletown is denying there to be problems. Doyg Adkins knows the problems, he even said the city was headed for bankruptcy. Everyone on city council knows there are problems, same with MMF.

Why not become an actiove participant, a change agent. I don 't get it. Also, you said several times Doug Adkins lied. Can you give one example with concrete information to support that. The only disagreement I am aware was Bank One, where it appeared the city had a deal to sell the building and a few inquired, but told it wasn'r to be sold. Any other examples, or just that one, when Judy Gilleland was telling him the building wasn't available.

Come on, get involved, lets make an effort to make the city close to what you remember. You moved back for a reason. If we all try, it can happen. Join us.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 10:44am
Factguy:

"Mr. Vet, why not get involved?"

IT IS A WELL KNOWN FACT THAT THIS CITY LEADERSHIP IS NOTORIOUS FOR NOT ALLOWING OUTSIDERS INTO THEIR INNER REALM. A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF THAT IS THE VARIOUS COMMITTEES IN TOWN. LOOK AT THE LISTS OF MEMBERS FOR THE PARK BOARD, THE TREE COMMITTEE, THE PLANNING COMMITTEE, THE COMMITTEE THAT WORKS WITH THE COPS, THE PARKS, THE SIGN COMMITTEE AND THE HISTORIC BUILDING COMMITTEE.......ALL THE SAME FACES OF THE FRIENDS OF CITY HALL.

I "GOT INVOLVED" YEARS AGO ON ONE OF THE COMMITTEES. THEY ASKED FOR PUBLIC INPUT, BUT WHEN YOU SHOWED UP, AND OFFERED IDEAS AND CRITICISM THAT WAS OUT OF CONTEXT OF THEIR GAME PLAN, THEY TREATED YOUR INPUT LIKE YOU HAD A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE. AN IMMEDIATE OUTCAST. THESE FRIENDS OF YOURS LIKE TO KEEP IT ALL IN THE FAMILY AND NO OUTSIDERS, WHILE ASKED FOR ON THE SURFACE, ARE WELCOMED.

ON THE SCHOOL FRONT, WHEN THEY HAD COMMUNITY INPUT MEETINGS FOR THE SCHOOLS, IF YOU ATTENDED AND OFFERED SOMETHING OUTSIDE THE REALM OF THEIR SCOPE, THEY DID THE IGNORING ROUTE TOO.

WHY GO TO THESE MEETINGS, OFFER INPUT, AND IF THE INPUT IS NOT IN LINE WITH THEIR THINKING, IT ISN'T EVEN ADDRESSED NOR CONSIDERED. THAT IS JUST STUBBORN AND TELLS ME THEY ARE RELUCTANT TO CHANGE. KINDA OF A "THEIR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" MENTALITY....SCHOOL AND CITY LEADERS ALIKE.

THAT'S WHY I NO LONGER "GET INVOLVED". NO ONE IS OPEN-MINDED ENOUGH TO LISTEN AND THE DECISIONS ON WHAT TO DO HAVE ALREADY BEEN DECIDED.

Factguy:

"Come on, get involved, lets make an effort to make the city close to what you remember. You moved back for a reason. If we all try, it can happen. Join us."

WHY, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR PLANS FOR THE CITY. I WANT TO REVIVE THE CITY BY GOING IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT DIRECTION WITH TOTALLY DIFFERENT PRIORITIES AND FOCUS. I CAN'T JOIN YOU. I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AND, JUDGING BY THE PAST TREATMENT OF OUTSIDERS, I WOULD BE OSTRACIZED AND TREATED LIKE A LEPER FOR MY COMMENTS DURING THE MEETINGS. IN YOUR MEETINGS, YOU ARE WELCOME AS LONG AS YOU AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT IS PRESENTED. THAT'S NOT EXACTLY AN OPEN-MINDED APPROACH NOW IS IT. WHY GO IF EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO ACT LIKE PUPPETS, NODDING THEIR HEADS LIKE BOBBLEHEAD DOLLS WHILE ALLOWING THEMSELVES TO BE LED TO THE SLAUGHTER. I WON'T PLAY THE CITY'S FOOL LIKE SOME.

OF COURSE ADKINS KNOWS THE CITY'S PROBLEMS. HE HELPED CREATE SOME OF THEM. CITY COUNCIL DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE WHERE THE COUNCIL DESK IS MUCH LESS KNOW THE CITY'S PROBLEMS. THEY TOO, HAVE GIVEN THE RUBBER STAMP TO ALLOW FOR DECISIONS THAT HAVE HELPED RUIN THIS CITY WHILE CATERING TO THEIR PALS ON S. MAIN ST AND THE MMF. TIME TO ROUND 'EM ALL UP AND SHIP 'EM OUT OF TOWN. WORTHLESS. THE MULLIGANS, WHO HAVE BEEN HERE AS LONG AS SOME OF US HAVE, SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR THE DAMAGE INFLICTED ON THIS CITY UNDER THEIR LEADERSHIP.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic