FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Budget
    Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 6:55am
According to the Journal article today, there will be no position cuts in the city government. They will retain the 398 positions for 2009. The only position cuts made were part time parking control employees. I thought Ms. Gilleland was working on downsizing the positions in the city. What happened to that, Ms. Gilleland? 70% goes to police and fire protection. 70%!!!! A whopping $207,493 is going to street repair. That won't make a dent in money needed.Looks like they'll keep patching. I noticed the city revenue basically comes from income taxes, property taxes and other sources including "miscelleanous". Wonder what that is? Also notice that the 09 budget is more than the 08 budget by $883,221. This, from a city that has precious little money to begin with. The city's "carryover fund" is at 7.19 million. How much "carryover" does the city have to keep and could some of this "carryover" be diverted to the streets? Gee, it sounds like the city should start generating more money in the property tax, income tax categories by making an effort to attract decent jobs in here, but alas, we're losing Billy Murphy, our favorite "go-getter" who we know, was just on the cutting edge of attaining many job opportunities. 2009 promises to be more of the same old futility.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 9:39am
Two options for the city: Increase their revenue or lower their expenses. To do neither is just asking for trouble. But wait.. Perhaps they can save a dime when the next Bill Murphy starts out at a lower pay step... Ok all good now.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 10:03am
I agee, more positions should be cut at the city.
I don't think it would be that hard to cut 10% off immediately, then look for additiona cuts after the dust settles.

But that just isn't how government works. Less revenue never results in job loss like it would in the private sector.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 12:03pm
I agree, more positions need to be cut just as they are being cut in the private sector.  I also find the 3% raise per year for Unionized employees excessive in these economical times.  If non-unionized people get 2% sam for Union.  If the Union wants to go to arbitration then once the arbitration is done time to layoff some Police and Fire.  If the City does not get its number 1 expense under control it is finished. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic