FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown council race

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown council race
    Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 8:47am

Posted: 6:00 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015

Middletown council race features 3 newcomers

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

All four candidates for Middletown City Council have identified streets and economic development/job creation as the top issues facing the city in the next few years.

On Nov. 3, two seats are up for grabs on the five-member council. The only incumbent, Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones, is seeking her third four-year term, while newcomers Steve Bohannon, Talbott Moon and Roy Gordon are seeking their first terms.

Anita Scott Jones

Jones, 52, who has served as vice mayor during her tenure, said she attended every City Council meeting as a citizen for six months before running for a council seat.

“I decided to get involved, not to complain about the city, but try to be a positive conduit for the city,” she said. “I ran for City Council and received enough votes to get elected twice. I have assisted hundreds of citizens over the years, and I would like the opportunity to do so again.”

As for the issues facing the city, Jones said Middletown is facing many of the same issues other cities in the region and across the state are, including finding the funds to maintain services for residents.

“Middletown City Council members who have been on council for the past seven or eight years have weathered the worst economic storms,” she said. “The challenges we face like most other governments are improving the infrastructure, opportunities for decent paying jobs, and continued economic development.”

Jones, who is very active with many organizations throughout the community, is currently a board member with the Butler County Regional Transit Authority; an executive committee of the Warren County Municipal League; and an action committee member with the Middletown Area United Way.

Steve Bohannon

Bohannon, 56, said the reason he’s running is to give something back to the city.

“This city has helped me raise and educate my children, start and run a successful business and allowed me to live the American dream,” he said. “It’s time to give back.”

Bohannon said the city needs to bring new businesses to town that will pay a middle-class wage; strengthen the manpower of the city’s public safety forces without raising taxes; and improve the city’s infrastructure through state and federal grants and from new taxes generated through new job creation.

He said his years in business have taught him how to communicate and listen to people, how to operate within a budget, expanding his business through advertising and “beating the bushes” to grow his business from the ground up.

“This city has been in a free-fall for the last 10 years, if not more, and it needs to turn around,” he said. “I feel with the experience I have gained over the last 25 years in business, I would be a good asset to the City Council.”

Bohannon is the past chairman of the Middletown Cemetery Board and is the chairman of the Middletown Real Estate Investors Group representing the city’s landlords. He is also a board member of the Middletown Safety Commission and the Rotary Club.

Roy Gordon

Gordon, 44, said he is running to help everyone in Middletown. He said city politics needs to be changed and that he wants to bring a better voice to the community and fight for people that need help.

He said council needs to be more transparent and concise in what they are doing. Gordon said council members need to be approachable and reachable. They also need to ask the questions people want answers to, he said.

“I am a 35-year resident of the city,” Gordon said. “I have 10 years total of volunteer work of giving back to my community and have voted in almost every election for 15 years. My commitment is to give back more to my community than I receive.”

Gordon said the top three challenges facing Middletown include deteriorating infrastructure, the heroin problem, and the city’s finances.

He said council needs to prioritize and find the money to fix the city’s streets and repair its parks. Gordon said too much money is being spent building of heroin into the city. He suggests increasing police and fire department staffing to above minimum levels, enforce current laws and find treatment for people.

He said the city needs to plan ahead and look for future fiscal impacts and find other solutions and revenue sources. He said the city needs to bring in companies without costing taxpayers money and stop spending money it doesn’t have

Gordon has been active in the community as a volunteer with Keep Middletown Beautiful for the past eight years and with voter registration efforts for the past two years.

Talbott Moon

Moon, 34, said he is running for a council seat because of a desire to make Middletown a more successful community, a great place to live, work and raise a family.

“We have a strong city with much to be proud of, but times are hard for many Middletonians and changes are needed to recapture some of our past prosperity,” Moon said.

He said Middletown is at a “crucial moment” in its history as it faces critical issues such as poor roads and other aging infrastructure, subsidized housing and economic development while it is supporting core city services.

“Things can be better, but only if we change how we operate,” Moon said. “Residents have grown frustrated and ready for a fresh perspective. My life-long love for Middletown, my business experience, and sound judgment have equipped me to help make the needed improvements.”

A life-long resident, Moon said he’s watched multiple generations of his family live and successfully build their business in Middletown, and he understands what changes are needed to make the city an attractive place to locate a business and create a “community first” atmosphere. He said his background not only allows him to understand the challenges facing the city, but to solve them.

Moon has been active in the community as a board member and chairing committees of The Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton; as a volunteer leader and committee member at the Oaks Community Church; and as committee member with The Business Alliance.

ROY GORDON

Family: Two brothers, two sisters; and his mother

Employment/Profession: Carpentry, Maintenance

Education: Franklin High School graduate 1989; working on a business degree at Cincinnati State Middletown Campus

Prior elected offices: None

STEVE BOHANNON

Family: Married, three children

Employment/Profession: Owner, Bohannon Roofing Company, Inc.

Education: Northmont High School, 1977; Sinclair Community College, 1981, associate’s degree in civil engineering

ANITA SCOTT JONES

Family: Married; two grown step-sons in Alabama

Employment/Profession: Hospital relations manager at Atrium Medical Center; adjunct professor at Cincinnati State Community College.

Education: Completing a doctorate in educational leadership; received a master’s degree in business administration; completed 2 1/2-years of law school; and a bachelor’s degree in 1987.

Prior elected offices: Completing her second four-year term on Middletown City Council

TALBOTT MOON

Family: Married

Employment/Profession: Agency partner/Owner, Moon & Adrion Insurance Agency

Education: Middletown High School, 2000; Miami University, 2004, bachelor’s degree in political science.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 10:52am
If one evaluates Anita Scott Jones rationale for her third election, the greatest hesitation for a rationale voter is she consistently states Middletown's problems are just like other cities that were exposed to the 2008 financial meltdown.  The fact is Middletown has had massive problems for years starting in the mid 80's, that never have been properly addressed. To put head in sand and state the city is typical, everyone has problems, is an immediate dis-qualifier. Really leveraged the council position to land at the Atrium from community college work.

Mr. Bohannon is a very nice individual. With the MMF support, he'll win election. A rationale thinker would question the support and avocation for growing police and fire fighter numbers. > 80% of fire runs are medical responses. Its time to change the paradigm, reduce city employees, through smart-sizing, part-time employees, reductions, volunteers, than grow FTE's. As someone posted in another post, the city absorbed in the current budget $1 Mm in costs for existing employees, just in workman's comp and medical insurance costs.

A winning strategy although no one has stated it, would  be to state they'll push to dedicate funds for roads annually, and focus on the city getting a focus on what a city really is supposed to do in providing core services, and get out of building development, airport development, and the restaurant business. Unfortunately, no candidate lists these as points to running a campaign. Instead, they all state the same, other than ASJ belief the city in free-fall is just like every other city is the country since 2008, attributed to the financial meltdown. Perhaps the local historian can enlighten her what occurred since 1985, with no funds set aside for infrastructure, decline in blue collar base, reputation, erosion of brand, and massive Section 8 influx by key city employees to add more seats in the local school system. That also provided lots of cash for local section 8 landlords, including several former key school administrators that are landlords in the kingdom of 8.

The city wasn't destroyed by Thursday----maybe a Sunday.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 4:00pm
I would encourage all residents to vote for Talbott Moon and Steve Bohannon. Talbott is a very bright and ambitious young man that reflects the best of Middletown's young leaders. He knows what the problems are, and having lived here when the city begin its decline, he isn't saddled with a false notion the city snaps its fingers, and the city will return to its position as an All American city esteemed throughout Ohio.

Steve Bohannon is a good guy and truly wants the city to succeed and prosper. Both will be great additions to council.   
Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 4:25pm
Bohannon is a clone of Dan Picard, PICARD Version 2.0.  Beholden to the fire fighter union, not the union.

MIDDLETOWN FIRE FIGHTERS ENDORSE BOHANNON FOR COUNCIL

Middletown, Ohio – October 9, 2015 – The Middletown Professional Firefighter, International Association of Professional Firefighters Local 336, Is proud to announce their endorsement of Steve Bohannon , candidate for Middletown City Council. “As a longtime resident and business owner in Middletown Steve has demonstrated a clear understanding of the needs of the fire department and the struggles we are going through” said President Tim Kinsworthy. “We believe Steve will play a vital role on city council to turn the city and its fire department around.”
“A few weeks back, I spent the day with the fine firefighters of Station #85, located at Central Avenue and Breiel Blvd., and I was able to witness first-hand how understaffed our fire department is,” said Bohannon, after doing a ride along with the fire fighters. “I believe that the city needs to find the funds necessary to increase staffing in order to keep Middletown from being dependent on other cities for help. Middletown needs to work towards being self-sufficient, which we were in the past, and provide the best public safety programs we can to keep our citizens safe.
Kinsworthy added, “Steve Bohannon and fire fighters have a shared vision for Middletown that goes well beyond public safety. Fire fighters are also citizens and we, too, want a strong economy, good schools, safe streets, affordable health care, and a clean city. We believe Steve Bohannon is the man who can best lead this city in the right direction.”

“We’re going to be with him every step of the way,” Kinsworthy said of the local’s support for Bohannon. “Through his experience and drive, Steve Bohannon has proven to us that he has the integrity, the vision, and the will to be on Middletown city council – and we want to help him achieve that goal,” Kinsworthy said.

Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 4:31pm
MMF when supporting candidates Picard and Bohannon, show they are for the union, the city, and raising taxes. MMF when supporting these candidates, is not for lower taxes and less overhead. Raise taxes through these candidates, more people leave. Stale cycle that is repetitive over and over. Change it.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2015 at 7:16pm
So Bohannan wants to give back to the city. Well best way to start for him is to give all his section 8 properties to the city. That way we might have income to fix our streets. This is just what we need, another section 8 owner on city council. This will fix a lot. Its all about the money boys and girls!
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2015 at 12:02am
When someone running for city council indicates the city has been good to them and they want to give something back, it really means, 'the city has been good to me and I am running to make sure what I get is even better.' The fix is in.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2015 at 8:26am

Meet the Candidates Oct. 24

A Meet the Candidates Night has been scheduled for 4 to 6 p.m. Oct. 24 at the Robert “Sonny” Hill Community Center, 850 Lafayette Ave. Candidates for the Middletown City Council and Middletown City School Board of Education are expected to participate.

The event will be moderated by Wanda Glover, William “Kip” Moore and Patty Caldwell and is sponsored by the Second Ward Community Council, NAACP Middletown and the William B. Pollard Elks Lodge.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2015 at 4:47pm
I was in attendance at Fridays Middie game. Hamilton did not do pre sale tickets so the lines were long. I observed and overheard our outstanding candidate Mr Bohannon yelling at Mr Lebo that he should not have to wait in line and complaining about how long it was taking. Very professional Mr Bohannon!!! Be careful how you act in public, you never kow who is watching!!
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2015 at 11:34pm
Did he say something like: "Hey, do you know who I am, a city council member in waiting, coming in November"! 'i have the support of the Middletown union that has to occasionally call other neighboring fire departments for support."

The problem is certain areas within city hall is they talk regionalism when its associated with what Middletown needs---leveraging prosperous communities bordering Middletown, and the fire department speaks as if sharing resources and economic efficiency puts residents lives at risk, and general fear mongering.

Donham isn't concerned about section 8 numbers. All they want to do now is control who it is that makes money from the fed payment, and they are friendly to the city. Control of the quid pro quo.     
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2015 at 11:13am
Bohannon is one of "them" so he is a sure winner. They won't let anyone in that thinks different or questions anything. ASJ was brought in line to their way of thinking also so the downtown project will still be number 1 priority, sad

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2015 at 11:49am
It appears ASJ has done a complete reversal from being "for the citizens " to "what ever council wants " JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2015 at 10:44am

Updated: 10:01 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015 | Posted: 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015

Middletown Chamber to host Candidate Forum Oct. 28

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

A Candidate Forum will be held Oct. 28 for those running for seats on Middletown City Council and the Middletown Board of Education in the City Council chambers at the City Building.

The forum, which is open to the public, is being sponsored by The Chamber of Commerce serving Middletown, Monroe, Trenton. For a number of years, The Chamber has sponsored these forums in each community to allow voters to meet each candidate and to give candidates an opportunity to explain their platform and why they would be a good elected official.

Each forum will be moderated by Lenny Robinson, Robinson Commercial Real Estate. The City Council forum will begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be followed by the School Board forum at 6:30 p.m.

Topics to be discussed at the council forum are revitalizing downtown, East End development, tax revenues and infrastructure; topics for school board candidates will include improving the state report card, preparing students to be lifelong learners, and increasing the engagement of parents and guardians.

There will be an opportunity for those in attendance to submit written questions as they pertain to the topics put forth by the Chamber’s Government Relations Committee.

The Chamber of Commerce serves more than 400 members in 22 surrounding communities in Southwest Ohio.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2015 at 11:39am
As usual, the questions submitted will be screened. They will be read only if they cause no controversy nor go against the doctrine set forth by the powers that be in this city. The whole event is rigged and the discussion will center around their dam precious, yet, unsuccessful to date downtown area. As is reality, the discussion will exclude all areas of town outside the downtown area. Infrastructure, roads, job creation and revenue (other than the discussion for more taxes of course) will take a back seat to the central topics like "what can we do for the arts people and the downtown business owners". The city leader world only encompasses the dam downtown area. The rest of the city has been forgotten. The East End growth is not attributed to anything the city leaders have done but rather it has developed due to the city staying out of the private sector's business. That is why it is infinitely more successful than the city meddling downtown area is. You would have thought even the city leaders could have learned a thing or two by now about sticking their nose where it doesn't belong, but I guess that ship has sailed.

We already know what we will get with a Jones incumbent vote. Same old rubber stamping, head bobbing agreement without a question being asked. She has conformed and has been rendered ineffective. Time to try some new blood who will actually question the status quo. Otherwise, it is business as usual and more failed nonsense for years. Need some new blood unless that new blood has the same message as the incumbents have been spewing for years. Doesn't sound like Bohannon is the answer either. Don't know about Moon. Is he an MMF/city theme backer too? If so, we're wasting our time voting for him. Time to change the record. The current one is skipping on the turntable.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2015 at 12:01pm
Groundhog Day
Same ?s followed by the same answers = electing the same mindset that has landed us where we are today

I think that we need to give this Gordon guy serious consideration
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2015 at 9:42am
The last 'outsider', not owned by current city council and their shill MMF, was Josh Laubach. You know how he was taken out by Picard, fire union, others. Agree Mr. Gordon seems to reflect one just wanting to do the job for the citizens. The debates ask every council member same question with all saying same: we need more business, more asphalt, better schools, and a positive attitude. Yawn. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2015 at 9:44am
Haven't seen any MMFers having fund raisers for Bohannon. I'm not sure he IS one of them. JMO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic