FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picard's Decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picard's Decision
    Posted: Jul 20 2017 at 2:03pm
Seems to be a slow time here on the old forum so I thought I would introduce a topic for discussion to enhance interest a bit.

How do you feel about Picard's decision to drop the subject concerning the Narcan treatments?

Personally, I liked his idea of asking a question whether the city was obligated to supply Narcan to repeat heroin overdose offenders. I would like to see the practice of taxpayer financed Narcan treatment stopped as I have never felt it was the taxpayer's responsibility to keep people alive that showed us many times that they didn't care whether they lived or died. Furthermore, if they made that first time lifestyle decision to take heroin, knowing that it could kill them, why did they do it in the first place if they considered the fear factor? As a result of their uncaring attitude, the least they can do is pay for the Narcan, the ambulance/EMT run and the subsequent hospitalization out of THEIR POCKET, not yours nor mine. Heroin users should be required to carry Narcan at all times and pay for it as well. It would be up to the people around them to administer it after they OD. Make carrying Narcan if a user a city law if possible. That is a reasonable request isn't it Mr. Adkins? If they were bold enough to roll the dice the first time, they can also inherit the costs of treatment to bail them out. I see no reason why it is the responsibility of society to play "Florence Nightingale/Mother Theresa" as it relates to sustaining their lives. THEY are responsible for their own lives, not us. When are we going to hold people accountable for their own actions and why do we think we need to babysit people in our society who can't seem to live within the parameters of acceptable behavior? Sooner or later, we all are going to have to accept a certain point where the line in the sand has been drawn as to what society will tolerate. The lowering of the bar and being kinder/gentler needs to bottom out at some point. I believe we passed this point years ago. It is not good for our city, our state and our nation to maintain this line of thinking IMO.

I can also see the reasoning behind Picard dropping the subject as it relates to the city liability, although I don't agree with Ohio law that mandates mandatory action be taken to treat those who don't seem to care. Why? The very people who are footing the bill for these people have no sayso in the use of their money at all and, adding insult to injury, are paying for these problem children to survive. Again, why?

It is a shame we just can't all unite and refuse to pay our taxes, starving the financial source of this overdose bailout scenario. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 11:28pm
Hate to see him backpedal after speaking the truth
Silent majority totally agrees with him
Where the city manager, police chief and fire chief
They spend too much time and $$ on these junkies imo
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 3:30pm
I think what one must realize is that due to laws and due to legal pressures - we are kinda stuck with the status quo in the meantime.

The only question that I have is this:  Our paramedics carry a range of lifesaving drugs on board to every assistance call, but the certainly don't carry all drugs - not even all potentially life-saving drugs.  Therefore - can the city simply choose not to stock narcan on its emergency vehicles?  Can a call to an overdose scene just be a simple transport to medical facilities?

Sure - I know - someone somewhere somehow - should get paid for the service, but isn't the hospital at least able to make some sort of medicaid claim or something in that case?  

Considering just how over budget we are on the supply of one particular drug - we should and frankly we must - find a way to either lower the cost of the drug, quit dispensing it or find a way to get these addicts to pay for their own self-created mess.  I know that sounds harsh - but I believe the minute that you decide to deliberately poison your own body in such a manner it is no longer the debt of society to ensure your health, well-being and certainly not to determine your life/death.  Personal responsibility is a dying trait in our world today.

Furthermore - I agree.  I kinda wish  Mr. Picard hadn't backed down - seems to me as though the city's legal team had enough of the questions and the controversy and said to back down....but I'm more on the Sheriff's side here.  He's pulling the 7up defense - and the sad truth is they can't raise more than a handful of people to picket him over the decision....

All things said, I'm glad Mr. Picard asked the question.  It got blown out of proportion by the media (fake news, yada, yada) and he got a two-week national media (actually worldwide) spotlight out of it.  Now - he just needs to make another suggestion to keep the ball rolling until we find a solution that takes the taxpayer off the hook (at least the local taxpayer) for good.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2017 at 10:52pm
Read this story: http://www.journal-news.com/news/butler-county-mom-heroin-addict-once-was-against-narcan-too/uh9Uxak3MmPFB5P9z0JPBJ/

Here's a letter sent to the editor of the Journal-News regarding said story, dovetails with Mr. Picard's suggestion:

Dear Editor: 

My heart truly goes out to Ms. Turco.  Having a family member, even worse a child, become addicted to any substance is truly heart-wrenching and pure torment on the soul.

While I sympathize with her feelings – I must point out that the facts of the story lead to a different conclusion.

Ms. Turco herself – at a point of desperation over his substance abuse – kicked her stepson out of the house.

Why?  I can only imagine that it was an act of love, tough love.  I regret that Ms. Turco doesn’t see Mr. Picard’s suggestion nor Sheriff Jones’ decision as the same.

It is never fair, never seems right, never should a parent have to do it – but Ms. Turco found herself at that point.  We as a society have reached that same point.  It isn’t fair, it isn’t right – and we shouldn’t have to do it – but now is the time.

Bob

"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic