FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here we go again with the Journal..Puff Piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here we go again with the Journal..Puff Piece
    Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 9:04am
Now don't get me wrong I am all for Cleaning up the City and improving its image, it is long overdue for a make over, where is Ty Pennington when you need him....Oh he was in West Chester.  I will do what I can.

But once again the Journal passes over the real issues, Poverty, Section 8, Poor performing Schools, etc.  What is it going to take before the Journal marches down to City Hall and demands some concrete answers to this City's problems?  What is it going to take for the Journal to get a hold of the Mayor, a City Council Person, the City Manager, The BOE and get some answers as to what is going to be done about the real issues in Middletown?

The Journal in the 5 years I have lived here has never done an indepth get in your face and get answers interview with anyone from the City.  Instead we get these puff pieces such as todays editorial, which do nothing to address the City's true issues and get answers and solutions from the City's leaders for its citizens.

Enough of the slap everyone on the back puff pieces.  It is time for some journalism 101, in other words ask some questions and get some answers.  And if the City leaders refuse the interview or to answer questions you let the Citizens know this also.

Middletown can no longer afford to just slap some paint on the walls and do nothing about its real issues.

P.S. I tried to post this on the Journal site but once again I guess I am on restriction as it will not allow the message to be posted........Freedom of Speech....HA.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 10:28am
Pacman- Don't you get a feeling that the Journal has been monitored and told what to print by city leaders? Got a call from the Journal wanting to know why I canceled my subscription after so many years of receiving the paper. I told her that there are two reasons. One- the old Journal had 90% Middletown news/10% out of city news. The "new" Middletown Journal- aka- the Dayton Daily News, has 50% Middletown news/50% news about Cincy, Springfield, Fairfield, Dayton,etc.- towns that don't interest me on a day to day interval. Second- the Journal has absolutely no investigative reporting. They don't ask the in-depth questions that could put our leaders on the spot and embarrass them, exposing the real stories on how this city is run and by whom. The lady seemed surprised by these answers and gave me two phone numbers to call. I told her that it would do no good to call. Cox has demonstrated that they don't care about Middletown and have probably lost a major portion of their customer base here in town. Finally, the lady gave me two phone numbers to call. Said they would be interested in what I have to say. I said that I doubted that- it would do no good to call- since outside sources have taken over the Journal, it has gone downhill on quality of investigative reporting, quality of the use of the English language, proof reading, and town interest. Sad            
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 11:03am
My x-wife worked for Thomson before the Cox deal. I agree that things have gone down hill since the sale/trade. She is no longer there.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 11:39am
OK- just read the Editorial that has revisited the Ashworth/Mort suggestion(already talked to death) that we clean up the city through an upcoming "year long spruce up/invigorate" program that Ashworth and Mort will announce. The editorial mentioned the poverty rate rising, median household income levels being low, and education levels being low. Poverty rate rising- stop being the Butler County attraction for Section 8. Stop the vouchers, stop the influx and start farming these people out to other communities that aren't carrying their fair share of subsidized housing. Boot the slum lords out/ make the residents pick up their trash, quit tearing the siding off the houses, quit writing graffiti all over everything, quit letting the blinds hang out the windows. Act like civilized people. Mercy, have a little pride/class! Turn the whole nightmarish program over to Butler County and get rid of the headache. Enforce the housing codes for those who remain. Low education levels. Middletown has an affinity to attract "lower education" type people. Started years ago when the Kentucky folks came out of the coal mines to work at a "better" job at Armco Steel and the Middletown natives didn't need to go to college- just go directly from high school to Armco to make a good living. Lowering of the educational level has continued, even with the downsizing of the steel influence in town, with the primary job selections in Middletown being lower skill level service jobs to select from. Begin to upgrade the job selections to higher educational requirements which will require the job hunters to seek more education. Gee, that would require an economic development program, (imagine that), working with the local schools/colleges/financing for people to upgrade their hiring credentials, enforcing the housing codes to penalize the slum lords, booting the Section 8 cancer out of the community, competent leadership that knows how to recognize, prioritize, and organize a plan, people and direction to get IMPORTANT things done and that doesn't include PAINTING HOUSES, PLANTING FLOWERS, and ARTSY FARTSY/IT WON'T MATTER nonsense that will be proposed by certain people. This won't attack the REAL PROBLEMS and isn't a top priority now. This should be proposed "down the road" after the IMPORTANT THINGS are taken care of.    
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 11:57am
True,Vet--however those mentioned for these cosmetic projects are not govt./admin figures, and have no intention to be so. Every little bit helps, and restoring pride to your homes neighborhoods and community can lead to pressures for elected leaders to ramp up their activity also.

Just the mention of Ann Mort and Merrell Wood thinking alike involved in related projects is amazing in itself.
We will forge new alliances and break out of the us/them mentality.
The only way to get better!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 1:53pm
Spider, Merrell surpassed Mort's suggestions and at least went to the root of the problem.  There is room for both activities, but they must both be worked on not just slap some paint on the buildings and invite Forbes back, that is an over simplication of the issues at hand.

My whole point is the Journal Editorial had 1 or 2 lines about poverty etc. and that was it.  City leaders just sit there and say it ain't so, yeah right.  The Council of the Rose Colored Glasses Clan is on the job in Middletown.

As long as those in charge pretend that Forbes was full of crap and do nothing, maybe it will go away, we will be the "Top 10 DEAD City" next time around.  Just look at Section 8 Spider it is going to take Council 18-24 months before they even get close to doing something with this issue.  It could have been solved and over with 6 months ago if Council had Heeded the City Manager's and their Consultant's recommendation.  At this rate of action or should I say in action Middletown will just be waking up as Cincy meets with Dayton 10-15 years down the road, and Middletown will still be saying, "WHAT ABOUT US?"Confused

And now we have the housing committee whom the council also thinks is full of Crap and doesn't like their choice either.  Like I have said before Committees in Middletown are nothing more than someone to take the blame for council and a waste of employees and citizens time. 

I guess it's a good think the City Council knows what it's doing. LOL Wink Big%20smile 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 2:06pm
Things will improve rapidly as soon as the CEOs of all of America's most successful enterprises get it through their heads that Middletown City Hall knows better than they do about what it takes to operate a business successfully.

Until that sinks in, they'll just have to suffer in Monroe, Franklin, Lebanon, and West Chester.  Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic