FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Congratulations Deejay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Congratulations Deejay
    Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 6:39pm
Congratulations to Deejay Hunter who in 2 shots of a BB gun has probably ruined what was a promising college career. As a nationally ranked high school player, one would think that he would set a better example to younger students. Citizens that complain about test scores and district performance, I hope you can now see what our educators are up against. I am not talking about the admistration, but the folks in the trenches, our teachers. It is difficult to raise the bar when nationally recognized students shoot others for fun. So you see, this is about morals, the things taught at home! Ouch
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:37am
I agree Smartman- not too bright. Immature high school prank that has turned serious for Hunter. Now, he risks the opportunity to move on to the next level in his life. Think he'll get off with a hand slap for a first time offender or because he's who he is? Your're correct. The teachers have a tough job in the classroom, having to teach the required amount of subject matter in a given amount of time AND babysit kids who can't get with the program, due, in part, to the absence of any discipline at home. This is the time to drag the parents into court with the kid and send them a message also. "Morals, the things taught at home" OR, in this case, maybe not.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:47am
Vet he is not a first time offender.

"It is not the first time Hunter has been in trouble with police. He was arrested in July and charged as a juvenile with aggravated trespassing, assault and criminal damaging after kicking in the door at a residence and assaulting a girl, said Juvenile Detective Fred Shuemake."

He shouldn't have been on the team this year anyways after his first run in with the law.  Apparently he was given a slap on the wrist back in July and did not learn his lesson.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:53am
Thank you- I stand corrected.--- maybe double secret probation for him this time???? The legal system probably doesn't want to "appear" to be "overbearing" with our youth. At least five or six chances would be appropriate nowadays.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:57am
You want to see what is wrong with Kids today watch a few episodes of this show on the net:

I shake my head when I see this show. 
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 9:16am
I was in Monroe last week at a friends house watching some football.

Something we saw on TV prompted him to tell this story:

His little girl, around 10 years old I think, had earlier that day had a basketball game in Middletown at the Miller Ridge School. Her team won with a score of something like 40 to 4 against a Middletown team. It's not that the Monroe team was that good. It was that the Middletown team fouled so much. And I mean fouled in the worst way. Fighting, cursing, kicking, etc. Right..a nice way for a little girls team to play.

My friend said that Middletown turning into a "trash dump of society" was one of the main reasons they moved out of town.

Harsh perhaps,  but the bottom line is one less working / tax paying citizen for Middletown, that I can't blame for doing what he thinks is best for his family.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 10:05am
Surprising in a way. IF the girl's basketball team was comprised of girls from the families that live in the Millers Ridge area of town (more upscale), what does that say about the quality of people that we now have as citizens? If this behavior is coming out of one of the best parts of town, what behavior can we expect from the worst parts?   
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 10:29am
We cannot paint Middletown with such a wide brush. There are plenty of good people who live and work in the city. Yes there are dreggs who grab the trash media news, but the majority are silent.

Yes, Middletown is a good city with great potential.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

We cannot paint Middletown with such a wide brush. There are plenty of good people who live and work in the city. Yes there are dreggs who grab the trash media news, but the majority are silent.

Yes, Middletown is a good city with great potential.

Jonathan- Middletown was once and still COULD BE a good city with great potential if we changed the way it operates. We have discussed, on this blog, several ways to make the town much better, including the removal of certain individuals in city government and a massive replacement effort. Our leaders have created, for this town, a major headache in the form of a negative PR image, so much so that people no longer want to live here anymore. This will be an enormous hurdle to overcome in the coming years.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 12:09pm
Actually, the shooting situation did not take place on school property and did not happen during school hours. So--the schools shouldn't take the hit for a poor decision by one of their students.

Sad to see this young man probably lose out on a free ride at a top D1 school, however he might not have made the grade anyway. Honestly, I didn't think that he had a very good year on the football field. In the first game, Elder lit him up like a Christmas tree.

Unfortunately our latest groups of Middie football players have not lasted long or fared well when stepping up to higher education, and have returned home very quickly. There have been a few stellar exceptions.

Discipline has been seriously lacking in Middie athletic programs.
It has taken bball coach Ronai until this year to have his players portray a proper attitude on the court and in the community. This current team has been all business and very greatful/respectful towards the community and each other. No small feat, as Ronai took over a program 6 years ago that was in complete shambles. Not competitive, no discipline, respect or even desire to play on the team. It has been a long hard road to get where this team is today, which makes me appreciate their success much more.

I hope Coach Krauss gets the same turnaround, and in a much faster time frame.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 12:12pm
Jonathan the Potentional is waning with every month that goes by and no progress is being made toward improvement.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 12:16pm
And YES, Mr.Haller and Vet--this is a fine community with tremendous opportunity ahead.
I have lived here since the eary 50s and remember it all.
We have a leadership vacuum and a school system that needs help from parents and other community role models. When the majority of students can come  to school prepared mentally with the attitude to succeed and co-operate, improvement will immediately follow.

A wonderful new program, the Imagination Library was started by Duane Gordon and the Middletown Community Foundation. Hopefully parents of pre-schoolers will grab on to this and make it work. It could well be the beginning of the best generation leading to the turnaround of our public school system.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

When the majority of students can come  to school prepared mentally with the attitude to succeed and co-operate, improvement will immediately follow.

Spider:
I agree completely!!!  But (there's always a "but", isn't there?), we never hear the school board or the school administration say this.  They keep telling us that MORE MONEY is all that is needed for our schools to achieve academic excellence.  The fact is that NO amount of money can substitute for discipline and parental involvement.

That's why all of these "good news only" folks are so irritating.  If one doesn't admit that there is a problem, identify the problem, and face the problem,  then the problem will NEVER be remedied!!! 

Positive thoughts, wishing, and clicking one's heels three times works ONLY in Emerald City, and Middletown isn't Emerald City anymore--and the Wizard is a FAKE!!

And a fresh coat of paint is only a few thousandths of an inch thick.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 1:59pm
FYI: Miller Ridge was just the host gym. None of the kids were from there.

Did you guys hear about the bank robbery here in town a few hours ago?

Four armed men in a purple SUV. One of the banks on the east end. Not sure which one.

Found it.. was just 3 guys.  So see not everyone is a crook.

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 2:13pm
Arwendt- perhaps it would have been a good idea to identify where the foul-mouthed, fighting kids came from and for someone to contact the proper authorities to address the problem and to never bring them back until they straighten themselves out. JMO
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 2:34pm

VieVet,

Thanks for the advice but I am not lacking in good ideas on how to handle that. However from the story my friend in Monroe told  me it did sound like the Ref had no clue, other than a free-throw.

In regards to where they came from it was a Monroe vs. Middletown game. But that's all I know.

Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 3:58pm

A Tennessee football commitment is no longer being recruited by the Vols after his second brush with the law since July.

Dwayne “DeeJay” Hunter Jr. of Middletown (Ohio) High School, a 6-foot, 196-pound defensive back, is facing a felonious assault charge in the BB gun shooting of another teenager who was struck twice in the head, the Middletown Journal reported Friday citing police.

Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 5:11pm
TRUE STORY

Yesterday afternoon, a high school employee came to work wearing worn baggy flannel pajamas and house slippers. I asked her supervisor "What in the ---- is up here?" He replied that he was sending her home for a change of dress. The kicker in this whole story is:

SHE TOLD HIM THAT SHE HAD JUST COME FROM HIGH SCHOOL, AND DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO GO HOME TO CHANGE CLOTHES!!

So--our school system allows students to dress this way??
I MIGHT be zeroing in on a core policy problem.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 6:54pm

That is the latest fashion statement Spider, I have seen several of them.  I just shake my head in amazement, and we wonder why school is the way it is.  Lets all go in our PJ's and we can texted who looks the hottest.LOL

Oh, but we have to let them express themselves and be individuals yeah right.  Plenty of time to look like slobs when they are 18 and up.Angry
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Bwood Bwood wrote:

A Tennessee football commitment is no longer being recruited by the Vols after his second brush with the law since July.

Dwayne “DeeJay” Hunter Jr. of Middletown (Ohio) High School, a
6-foot, 196-pound defensive back, is facing a felonious assault charge
in the BB gun shooting of another teenager who was struck twice in the
head, the Middletown Journal reported Friday citing police.

WHAT A WASTE!!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 7:05am
OK- Update time- DJ pleads "not guilty". Frank Schiavone, his attorney, says DJ is an excellent student and outstanding athlete and the charge has dampened his future. Well, gee Frank, those encouraging words, coming from you, certainly changes the way we will look at this case. That certainly cushions the charge that he shot some kid walking home from school and should totally exonerate Hunter. He's been a model citizen all this time.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 6:42am
Third times a charm, DJ! Now he is alleged to have slammed a girl into a wall at the Ramada Inn last weekend. The hits just keep on a comin' for the Hunter lad. Just as Tennessee has rejected him, society as a whole should also. Time to put this guy out of sight- out of mind and cast our attention to the ones who can be saved. Hunter has gone from promising football athlete to street thug and hasn't made it out of high school as yet. DJ, your parents are ashamed (hopefully) , the town is ashamed and if you have the capacity to reason, you should feel shame.
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2009 at 12:36pm
What a waste of talent.
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic