FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic House Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic House Restoration
    Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:25pm
Thought I would post some of my work on the forum so you all get an idea of the work I do. These are a few inlayed floors I've restored in Cincinnati. Some are new floors that I built using traditional materials and methods.

Old floors:

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:29pm
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:31pm
Old floor pics didn't take. I'll try again...

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:32pm
Absolutely beautiful work. Gorgeous. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:34pm
Lime plaster repairs:

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:39pm
Custom millwork to match existing features:

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:44pm

Wish you could have met Sonny Hil. He knew all the tricks of the trade and was one of the finest plaster men in the area.  I really enjoyed working with him over the years.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:44pm
Window restorations:

I'll post more work later. If I post too many times in one post I get shut down for spam...

Call (513) 633-4332 and ask for Jason.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Wish you could have met Sonny Hil. He knew all the tricks of the trade and was one of the finest plaster men in the area.  I really enjoyed working with him over the years.

Vivian,

I'm sure I would have loved to meet him! I've meet many old timers who have taught me well. I personally have about 25 years of experience in Historic Preservation. I've worked on many National Historic buildings and homes over the years. I'm a consultant for the Army Corps of Engineers when they need some advice on historic buildings along with several Architects and Developers whom I've also done Consulting work for.

I've been around....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:54pm

HHG
I’m glad to know that a young person with your talent is now working in the
Middletown area. I wish you all the best. A good cabinetmaker/finished carpenter is worth his weight in gold.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 5:56pm
Well, I'll be 45 in a few days. Is that considered young around here? lol
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:08pm
Porch Restorations:

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:12pm
By the way, I absolutely love what I do! If someone tells you, "no one does that anymore" then just call me...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 6:16pm

HHG
I have worked on several large jobs where we had to call on the Amish craft men from
Southern Indiana. They would show up at job site in their black clothing and some of the most beautiful hand made tool chest that I have ever seen in my life. They looked like fine furniture. Then you would just sit back and watch them make the magic happen.

This is now becoming a lost art in the building trades.

MichaelShields View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichaelShields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 5:15am
Amazing post! I liked the theory on window restoration. I loved the concept of windows renovation and it is very essential to reconstruct the house to maintain its longevity. Considering the best and fixing homes with correct fixtures for windows and doors which can protect from hazardous view point like survey says many websites provides with highly acceptable and home improvement techniques and ideas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic