FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meadows Reopens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meadows Reopens
    Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 8:28pm

Posted: 3:57 p.m. Wednesday, July 30, 2014

MIDDLETOWN
The Meadows reopens under new ownership

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

A piece of Middletown history has been resurrected less than two years after it was considered lost forever.

The Meadows, an upscale restaurant at 2102 Yankee Road, closed after 78 years in operations in 2012. But on Wednesday, 80 years after it first opened, new owners Ken Ledford and Emily Profitt reopened the iconic restaurant. And the first day open “was pretty good,” Profitt said.

“We stayed pretty busy,” she said. “Steady, but not overwhelmingly busy. There were a lot of old supporters, and a lot of people said they would come back.”

The Meadows was built in 1934 by Mike Mandzak Jr. The Meadows was a dining staple for executives in the city for years and featured a rustic wood paneled interior, and historic prints from the old Sorg Mansion adorned the walls. Mandzak Jr.’s son, Mike Mandzak III, operated the restaurant until it closed. He later sold the business to Ledford and Profitt.

The Meadows reopening is good for the city, said Rick Pearce, president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton. The chamber held a ribbon cutting ceremony for the restaurant earlier this week.

“I think it’s interesting in how they saw an opportunity, not to resurrect, but to carry on that history,” he said.

About 75 to 80 people patronized the business throughout its opening day, and that is a good sign, Profitt said.

“I think once the people realize we’re open, we’re going to be busy,” she said. “It’s been closed for a year and a half, so not many people realize that we’re open yet.”

Ledford, who is The Meadows’ chef, said as long as he keeps “putting out good food,” the people will be back. All of the dishes created by Ledford, who has 30 years experience working as a chef, will be made from scratch and feature fresh ingredients. The lunch menu will feature $5 soups, a $14 blackened steak salad, sandwiches that start at $7 and entrees include Scottish salmon for $15. The dinner menu ranges from $7 sandwiches to filet mignon for $30.

“We’re the restaurant you’ve got to drive a little ways to get to, but hopefully we’ll get the word out and people will drive from Middletown, Dayton, West Chester and all around,” Ledford said.

And though it took a lot of had work to clean up the restaurant before opening day, Profitt said that ethic of hard work will continue and “we’re still determined that it’s going to be a great thing.”

THE MEADOWS

Where: 2102 Yankee Road, Middletown

House: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; closed Sundays

More info:www.meadows1934.com or 513-422-2131

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 12:18pm
Went to The Meadows last night. Food was excellent. Beef tips were tender, strip steak, was tender,salmon was excellent. They tried very hard to please us. Will be going back. Murphy's who
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 12:49pm
There are not enough people with cash in Middletown to sustain Stefano's, Blue Goose, Murphy's Landing, downtown, and others. The more expensive restaurants are cannobolizing and competing with one another. The Meadows re-opening is a situation which will have an outcome like the Manchester. When Armco/AK Steel left, no need for visitors to corporate to stay at Manchester, no corporate luncheons, dinners, across from a building no longer occupied by executives. 18 months maybe, then gone.     
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 1:11pm
I really hope not IMO The Maedows has a better change just because they know what they're doing. Murphy's is stumbling around trying to figure it out. So I guess we'll see. Meadows has been in that same spot for decades so if people want good food they will come. They did for decades.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2014 at 4:33pm
I went to the Meadows for the first time a couple of months ago. I can say I will never go back. Service was horrible, served a drink that had a fly in it. Waitress made a joke about it.
Some guy came in towards the end of dinner that appeared to be well known. He had music blasting on his cell phone. Then took a call and was speaking loud enough for the entire place to hear the conversation.

If the old place was anything like this, not sure how they made it this far. And if the new place continues like this, I can't imagine they will be there too long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic