FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana Not Legal in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medical Marijuana Not Legal in Middletown
    Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 9:54am

Updated: 4:27 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016 | Posted: 9:41 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2016

Medical marijuana becomes legal in Ohio today

Medical marijuana becomes legal in Ohio today.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed the bill earlier this year to legalize cannabis for medical use.

The bill will not allow marijuana to be smoked. It will have to be used in patches, vapors, edibles, etc. The bill also does not allow for users to grow marijuana at home.

The Ohio Department of Commerce, State Medical Board and Board of Pharmacy will supervise the use of medical marijuana in the state.

Last year, ResponsibleOhio put a proposed constitutional amendment on the statewide ballot that would have legalized marijuana for both medical and recreational use and granted exclusive growing rights to the 10 investor groups bankrolling the campaign. Voters soundly rejected the proposal. But polls showed that 80 to 90 percent of Ohioans favor legalizing medical marijuana.

Conditions eligible for medical marijuana in Ohio

AIDS, ALS, Alzheimer’s, cancer, chronic pain, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, Crohn’s disease, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, fibromyalgia, glaucoma, hepatitis C, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, PTSD, spinal cord conditions, Tourette’s syndrome, traumatic brain injury and sickle cell anemia.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 11:48am
Yes and there is another story in the Journal stating a moratorium on medical marijuana being distributed in Middletown.

Let's see. The patient has cancer or some other life threatening disease that requires pain management after chemo. The doctor knows the patient is in pain and knows the marijuana will provide some pain relief and writes a prescription. The patient takes it to the local, marijuana supplied pharmacy and has it filled just like any other prescription written. The patient is provided the pain management they drastically need.

So why the 6 month moratorium to delay help for the pain these people are going through? Grass is not nearly the problem heroin usage is and is now legal in Ohio as of today. If the people requesting the delay had the pain of cancer, they probably wouldn't be too fond of the delay tactics now in place in this city. Where is the compassion for the potential terminally ill people? You have just legislated those people out of a quality of life issue and have delayed any pain control for them. Why?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Yes and there is another story in the Journal stating a moratorium on medical marijuana being distributed in Middletown.

Let's see. The patient has cancer or some other life threatening disease that requires pain management after chemo. The doctor knows the patient is in pain and knows the marijuana will provide some pain relief and writes a prescription. The patient takes it to the local, marijuana supplied pharmacy and has it filled just like any other prescription written. The patient is provided the pain management they drastically need.

So why the 6 month moratorium to delay help for the pain these people are going through? Grass is not nearly the problem heroin usage is and is now legal in Ohio as of today. If the people requesting the delay had the pain of cancer, they probably wouldn't be too fond of the delay tactics now in place in this city. Where is the compassion for the potential terminally ill people? You have just legislated those people out of a quality of life issue and have delayed any pain control for them. Why?

That's right...

Middletown bans medical marijuana despite Ohio legalization
MIDDLETOWNOhio —Middletown is the latest city to issue a temporary ban on medical marijuana facilities even as the state legalizes the substance.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 7:42pm
Mr. Adkins, you have introduced yourself to these forum pages. You have offered input. Tell us why you and council decided to have a 6 month moratorium on marijuana that could provide relief for cancer patients, and others with serious medical conditions. When you made this decision, did you consider placing yourself in their place enduring the constant pain of cancer as you seem to have done for the heroin user?

Is the delay about priorities for the city as to setting up a workable system to get these people the proper pain management for their condition? What about gathering the medical community's prescribing doctors, the pharmacies in town and the marijuana suppliers getting the drug to the pharmacy and setting up a workable solution? Start now, during the moratorium, to expedite the provision for cancer patients. Get ahead of the game. It just may shorten the moratorium time of six months. You never know. You just might be the pilot program for the state with your early attempts.

Just like heroin, it is the city government's responsibility to address the issues on behalf of the public on the medical marijuana matter as well.

It took you no time at all to form a committee and meet at the hospital with the medical community, the police, the medics and others to research a solution for the heroin issues in town. You obtained some funding for this didn't you? Why is this any different? Make the same effort in providing medical marijuana as you did providing Narcan for the heroin problems in town. Didn't see a moratorium on providing Narcan for heroin when the heroin issue was in it's infancy.   
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 9:55pm
VietVet, your wife of many years remains in our thoughts and prayers.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 10:08pm
Absolutely, VV
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 6:08am
Thank you both for your compassion and for caring. Very kind. Oct 24th will mark the 7 year anniversary of her stroke. Son and I have been taking care of her and working full time jobs and dealing with all the chores that come with the joy of home ownership. We're just a tad bit tired all the time with a dose of depression thrown in at times. She needs 24/7 care. Family all gone so no help from that source. Income too high and too many assets to receive help from any state or fed social programs like Medicaid or Council on Aging in providing respite for caregivers. Been round and round with Hamilton Social services, the governor's office and Senator Coley. No help or effort there. Churches, the nursing program at MUM....no luck. The VA offers home help to veterans but not the spouses. Doesn't help us. Son and I would just like to get away from it for a few hours to go get a "sit-'em-down" meal somewhere. Both of us have resigned ourselves to our situation after all this time but it does get a bit aggravating at times. We've had some nice "stress arguments" in our house on occasion. Then, as fast as the yelling and screaming at each other appear, they disappear because you have to keep on going as there is no other choice. You have to have a short memory as just keeping up with things won't allow you to linger in the anger of it all.

On the subject of home care, just wonder how Pacman is doing lately. Have heard nothing about his condition in a long time. Anyone know if Mike Presta is doing ok? Don't hear from him anymore.
Douglas Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 8:25am
VV -

Government is always an interesting way to do business. Half the people complain when you take action, the other half complain when you don't. All we can do is try to make the best decisions for everyone and hope 1) That we were right; and 2) that people believe that we make more decisions right than wrong. Intelligent, good people often disagree on the best course of action.

Our moratorium doesn't stop anyone from getting and using prescription marijuana. We are in the final stages of rewriting the zoning code completely with the hope of being more business friendly while still maintaining standards.

When the State passed this law, they gave no indication how people would get prescriptions, who was authorized to fill them, who was authorized to grow the pot and control its content... no rules or regulations are in place as to how I'm supposed to utilize this new law in Middletown. Hamilton outright banned it.

Are we going to treat this similar to a pharmacy? Something else? What are going to be the requirements to grow, package, sell and distribute medical marijuana? I've already had drug dealers in town inquire about where they could open a pot shop.

This is 100% my opinion, and I'm not speaking on behalf of the city, but I believe marijuana will be legal in Ohio for recreational use within the next five years. This problem will likely solve itself over time.

I thought it was important to finish our zoning code and use the six months to see how the State was going to regulate the process instead of having pot shops open all over town and trying to shut them down later if the regulations make their operation illegal.

It's a short holding pattern, nothing more.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 9:32am
Mr. Adkins quote:

"When the State passed this law, they gave no indication how people would get prescriptions, who was authorized to fill them, who was authorized to grow the pot and control its content... no rules or regulations are in place as to how I'm supposed to utilize this new law in Middletown. Hamilton outright banned it"

Fair enough Mr. Adkins. How about gathering the folks in Hamilton and all the other "ban it or moratorium on it" city leaders and invite those in Columbus who are running the "Medical Marijuana" program down here to lay out the groundwork for the institution of the program. Now's as good as time as ever, right? The city wasted no time at all in gathering the resources at the hospital to plan how to attack the heroin problem. How about the same enthusiasm with the marijuana issue? Time is of the essence, especially for the people in pain right now due to cancer and other life-threatening diseases. I don't have any direct involvement in this but I do have compassion (believe it or not) for those in pain.

I encourage you to explore and take the initiative to develop a game plan as soon as possible. You may just come up with something that can expedite the program and emphasize to the slow movers in Columbus that this needs to be fast-tracked. No harm in getting a head start is there? Unlike heroin users, who are receiving the most publicity, contracting cancer was not a choice for these victims.

All I'm suggesting is that you be pro-active in your quest to avoid the status quo delays.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

On the subject of home care, just wonder how Pacman is doing lately. Have heard nothing about his condition in a long time. Anyone know if Mike Presta is doing ok? Don't hear from him anymore.

Hi Vet,
Thank you for your concern. I am fine (at least as fine as someone my age and condition can be).  I still read this board nearly every day, I just don't post here much anymore.  I simply grew tired of beating my head against the walls of Donham Plaza.  Also, after the thrashing I took when I ran for council a few years ago, I decided that Middletonians were getting the government that they deserved.

As to our friend Pacman, he has serious medical problems and, as last I heard, is in a nursing home and is likely to remain there long term.  He could use our prayers.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 5:15pm
Our best to Pacman. Enjoyed his postings.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 6:19am
Mike, glad to hear that you are hanging in there. The act of living doesn't get any easier as we age does it? I miss your posts and the information you provided at times during any topic discussion. I miss the wit and humor you injected into your posts. This city government, once you get past the anger of what they do, at times, provides some unintended humor due to the stupidity in the decision making department. I also enjoy the cerebral posts of acclaro too, coupled with Vivian's fact finding missions.

I can't believe how Pacman's health changed so quickly. I remember talking to him at the Senior's Center years ago right after a Josh Laubach community gathering.(BTW, it sure would be nice to talk to the current council members in this fashion again) He seemed in good health then. Miss his informed posts also.

Take care, God Bless........one day at a time is the motto in the Vet household. Has to be that way as, at times, the daily grind becomes so overwhelming when you're trying to live for two people.
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2017 at 6:14pm

Today, 9/22/2017, on the Dr. Oz Show a segment of the show addressed the opioid epidemic. In view of how deeply affected we are in Middletown, this seemed worth consideration. The segment can be viewed on his website: http://www.doctoroz.com/

Is Marijuana a Secret Weapon Against Heroin Addiction?”

Can medical marijuana help fight the national opioid crisis? Go behind the scenes at a licensed cannabis cultivation facility with Dr. Oz and TV personality Montel Williams.”

On the show, Montel Williams discusses his own addiction to prescription drugs (for chronic pain) and the effective use of marijuana to beat the addiction. For him and a woman who gave a similar testimonial, the pain of withdrawal is quite bearable with the use of marijuana. Both of them have chronic conditions, requiring pain management. Neither of them any longer use addictive pain killers. Instead they use a doctor prescribed, medical marijuana. Both of them said that without the marijuana they would still be addicted or dead.

Dr. Oz said:

As a doctor, one of my primary responsibilities is to alleviate pain, and I’m always on the lookout for new and more effective treatments. For years, we’ve used opiates to treat pain and today we are in the throes of an addiction epidemic. Each day the opioid crisis sends over 1000 people to the emergency room and takes 91 lives. Doctors need new pain medications that don't have the ability to kill like opioids do.

I believe medical cannabis could do just that and I’m calling on the federal government to fund the research we need to prove it.

Outdated beliefs and policies have prevented our country from funding medical cannabis research but the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine has reviewed other scientific research and found evidence that patients treated with cannabis or cannabinoids were more likely to experience a significant reduction in pain symptoms. Yet the government still says cannabis has no proven medical value.  

About twenty years ago, my colleagues and I were sold a bill of goods on a new strategy to treat people suffering from chronic pain. Opioids were the answer, and we were led to believe that not only were they effective, but that they couldn't be addictive. Unfortunately, it took a national emergency to realize that the quadrupling of opioid prescriptions that resulted from these teachings was actually a problem. Not only are opioids in fact highly addictive,  according to the CDC, there is actually little evidence that they are even effective at relieving chronic pain.

I was duped.  It's hard to admit it, but I have to face the facts. To make sure it never happens again, I’m asking you to sign this petition.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH), which funds much of our nation’s medical research, allots only $111 million dollars to cannabis research.  This sounds like a large number, but it represents a mere 0.3 percent of NIH's total spending on research and is only 0.1 percent of the cost of the opioid epidemic.  This is a drop in the bucket for something that experts believe could have the potential to help in our fight against the number one killer of adults under 50.  Studies already suggest that states with medical cannabis laws have a 25 percent lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate compared with states without medical cannabis laws.  

Almost half of opioid deaths are due to the overdose of prescription drugs. While heroin is responsible for much of the other half, research suggests that 4 out of 5 heroin users started with prescription drugs. I have traveled around the country and met countless families who needlessly lost their sons and daughters, husbands and wives to addiction. In addition to the obvious emotional costs of this epidemic, the financial burden is exorbitant. The opioid crisis costs our economy over $78 billion per year.    

So please join me in calling on NIH to quadruple its spending on this important research (only 50 percent of opiate epidemic costs) and sign this petition.

This petition will be delivered to:

• National Institutes of Health

• President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis

• The petition is on his website.

• Ohio has legalized marijuana. Hypothetically, Middletown could cut in half, the cost of Narcan by treating addicts who enter the system as detainees with marijuana ...if (big if)they get clean and remain clean. Given the choice of going “cold turkey” and using marijuana for the pain of withdrawal looks like a no brainer to me.

• Hypothetically, Middletown could lower that cost even more if we had our own source/grower of medical marijuana.

• I’m expecting a lot of commentary on this. I hope so! Here’s where we could become a leader in finding solutions instead of being the problem. And the negative side of this is … who do we have in the city government to organize and implement such a thing? That’s a tough nut to crack, knowing how many screwed up current frivolous bureaucracies we have. I have my doubts already that no one will want to be involved or even have an interest.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic