Print Page | Close Window

Buy LOCALLY

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Manager
Forum Description: Discuss the city manager administration including all city departments.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1288
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 12:24am

Topic: Buy LOCALLY
Posted By: Mike_Presta
Subject: Buy LOCALLY
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 9:42pm

From the City Manager's newsletter, May 3, 2009:

Buying Locally

"The buy local buy global debate is an interesting one; good points all the way around. The question has come up on whether or not the city should give preference to local businesses when awarding contracts. I am extremely supportive of buying locally first. When the local vendor is the lowest bidder, there is usually not an issue. The question that governments typically face is when the local vendor is not the low bidder, how much extra is the government willing to pay to buy locally? In these tough economic times, is there a tolerance for paying extra to buy locally? We award contracts to the lowest and best bidder. There have been discussions in the past on the local preference, if Council so desires, we can resurface those discussions."

During the last (5/5/2009) council meeting, someone was extolling the wonders of an upcoming event, they mentioned several food vendors.  Some of them I recognized as Middletown businesses, some I did not.

For example:  Middletown has a couple of BBQ places, but I did not recognize "Liberty City BBQ".  Does anyone know where they are located?

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Replies:
Posted By: randy
Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:08am
Mike I have been looking for Liberty City BBQ and can find nothing in Middletown the closes thing I did find was Liberty Restaurant down on central. In fact I cant find one in Butler County.

Posted By: Perplexed
Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:52pm
How surprising it would be to learn the number of City of Middletown employees that live elsewhere?

A very civic-minded resident of Ward 2 obtained this information recently and the results show a large percentage of employees live in Mason, Hamilton, Madison Township, Carlisle, etc., etc.  Therefore, what percentage of the City payroll is really spent here in Middletown?

I think that certain senior City staff should do their homework before offering any additional "WORDS OF WISDOM" (??).

Maybe they are openly trying to confuse us on a very important issue!

Print Page | Close Window