Forum Name: Community Revitalization
Forum Description: Middletown Community Revitalization News
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1533
Printed Date: Apr 29 2024 at 3:33am

Topic: Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority
Posted By: Pacman
Subject: Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority
Date Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 8:16pm
In going thru the workbook for tonights City Council meeting I came across the Housing Committee Meeting minutes.

For the past few years now the drop dead number for the number of Section 8 Vouchers allocated to Middletown has been documented at 1662 by the City, by the Middletown Journal, etc.  In todays workbook I notice that in Sept. 2008, in the midst of Councils Section 8 Marathon, the number of Section 8 Vouchers in use was 1698, what happen to 1662?  There are numerous months last year where the Number of Section 8 Vouchers in use is above the 1662 number that Middletown has supposely been issued.  So far for the first 5 months of 2009 the number of Section 8 vouchers in use in Middltown is running above the average for each of the last 3 years.

On another note the Middletown Housing Authority, which is made up of the City Council Members is suppose to be meeting monthly, yet I can find no minutes for their meetings, has anyone seen the meeting minutes for any Housing Authority meeting?

Replies:
Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:28am

Pacman
I will make a little bet that twelve months from now the number of Section 8 housing will be a lot higher than it is now. The City will need to increase the Section 8 in order to fill all the empty housing that will soon be coming on the market as rentals as they start spending all this CDBG money and all these bank owed properties go to the block. This is the only way that they can solve the problem of all these 1,000 plus empty properties. Keep your eye on all this CDBG money and the Section 8 numbers. If you think it’s bad now…..ya ain’t seen nothing yet.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:48am

I have to agree with Ms.Moon.

I took an extended tour of the area from Shafor St. west to S.Main and south to where Roosevelt runs into University. I was looking for some missing items from my businesses, so I made my tour of the usual side streets and alleys(where few people ever go). I do this regularly, so I have a pretty good idea of how things look. I have NEVER seen this area in worse shape than yesterday. Even with my familiarity with the area, I was stunned to see the # of boarded up properties, dilapidated FOR RENT properties, orange-tagged empty homes and un-marked empty homes. Drive down Central Ave.to Garfield and hang a right turn. Count the vacancies and housing conditions. I looked at a reasonably nice two-story home that was being offered for $12,000!!

This housing issue is a monster, and maybe too big and complex for local officials.
Smokey has laid out many amazing facts and stats as to how this has mushroomed out of control. Mr.Adkins seems to be tackling the issue with his un-realistic stimulus requests, though as Ms.Moon mentioned, I don't see any way this can be remedied and these homes refurbished and occupied without a tremendous increase in Section 8 activity(are you reading this, pacman, my friend? Maybe you should ride with me for a serious backstreet tour).

This activity will further stress the police, fire school,social systems and city admin to sevice this social group that contributes little to the tax base or business economy outside of subsidies from assistance programs.

In other words, our city will be further and more drastically divided between the east end "haves"(fewer all of the time, and mass exodus from our school system and business centers) and the southwest "have nots"(who will multiply rapidly, coming in from everywhere to take advantage of the huge increase in subsidized housing). 

Those buying up these foreclosures, fixing them up slightly and throwing them in to the subsidation process will continue to profit, while hopelessly dragging down our fragile demographics.

I hope Mr.Adkins is up to the task, because we have MAJOR issues ahead, FAR beyond the scope of what we see now.

jmo 

Posted By: Smokey Burgess
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:50am
Earlier this year City Councilmen Becker, Schiavone, Marconi and Armbruster voiced concerns about the City of Middletown getting so deeply involved in the real estate business!

What ever happened to Doug Adkins promised "Market Based" revision to the original $2.144 million HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) grant application filed late last year?  Well more than the 90 days have passed, so where's the Revised Round One Plan?

With all of that uncertainty, the City Council predictably "swallowed" the $25+ million NSP Round Two application for funds that Mr. Adkins presented last night?  With the fiascos of the FHA Dollar Homes Program, etc., the City of Middletown now embarks on a multi-million dollar undertaking?  What are the qualifications of those driving this high-speed housing express passenger train?

Miss Vivian, I agree with you.  If these grandiose plans are not well thought out and carefully implemented, the current Section 8 debacle will seem minor by comparison!Angry

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:01am
Miss Vivian, Etc. -

Have you heard anything about former high-risk, sub-prime mortgage lenders possibly being involved in these HUD-funded foreclosure prevention programs here?

Posted By: lrisner
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:04am
Please keep in mind, I personally think the housing Mess in midd. is going to get much worse as time passes. All the over development of the past decade has left us with countless empty new homes. How does that effect all the older, outdated Houses in Middletown?

It is going to get worse!

Drastic action will no doubt have be employed.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:26am
Spider you know where to find me just come on over lets set up a time I will bring a camera and some extra batteries and lets do it.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 12:37pm
Pacman
    Spiderjohn is being really kind…the entire area that he is referring to looks like a war zone. Over the past several months I have driven up and down all these small side streets and they all look the same…empty houses, trash everywhere, everything overgrown and then you have the high grass and weeds. It’s a TRASHY sad sight to see.
    I have been working on cleaning up the empty house next door to me for the past month and when I called the City to see if they would pick up the truck load of trash where I cleaned the lot they refused. This house can be seen by everyone that drives down
University Blvd….and yet we have NO support from City Hall to help us clean up some of this mess.
    I have been in construction for many years and this problem can be solved with some good old common sense and a good block by block plan that keeps the neighborhood charm in mind.

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Smokey Burgess Smokey Burgess wrote:

With all of that uncertainty, the City Council predictably "swallowed" the $25+ million NSP Round Two application for funds that Mr. Adkins presented last night?  With the fiascos of the FHA Dollar Homes Program, etc., the City of Middletown now embarks on a multi-million dollar undertaking?  What are the qualifications of those driving this high-speed housing express passenger train?

Miss Vivian, I agree with you.  If these grandiose plans are not well thought out and carefully implemented, the current Section 8 debacle will seem minor by comparison!Angry
This is exactly what I was thinking as I watched Mr. Atkins's presentation last night!!!  This is quite a large undertaking for a city of Middletown's size.  Something MUST be up!!!  There MUST be more to this than they are sharing with us bagholders who are footing the bill!!!  There were NO questions from coucil--have they been briefed behind CLOSED DOORS???  If not, why aren't they questioning these moves???

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:08pm
Think about it!!!

City council gets their knickers in a knot over every little thing that happens on our private property!!!  What kind of driveway are we adding??  What are we using to re-side our home??  What color are we painting our small business??

Yet Mr. Atkins presents a few sketchy details about some TWENTY MILLION DOLLAR project, and NO ONE on council asks ANY questions???  Still, they tell us they believe in OPENESS, and that they do NOT discuss city business except in public meeting!!! 

ANYONE who believes THAT, please see me for a great deal on some prime swamp land!!

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:25pm
Because all City Council sees is 10% for Administration of the program and that adds up to $2,000,000.00 if they get the full amount.  I guarantee you the city will squeeze every dollar out they can for salaries of current employees.  "What you filed a HUD paper today, that's $10.00 for the city.  You shredded 5 pages of HUD docs oh that's good for $25.00 and so it goes.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:26pm
Hmmmmmmmmm so no one has seen any Middletown Housing Authority Minutes, are they even meeting or was that a bunch of BS to make us think they are working harder?  Also is Section 8 growing rather than shrinking?  Anyone................

Posted By: accuro
Date Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:46pm
Can anyone shed light where and how the funds appeared for the Senior Citizens Group/ Center and what on earth are they doing?

Date Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 6:41am

Mike
Do you remember the comment “This is a fifty year plan for
Middletown
”?
It made my blood run cold. This big chunk of federal money WILL forever change
Middletown. Mr. Adkins said “No strings attached to this money”…Really?...I don’t believe this line for a moment.

With few comments from any council members and no fanfare the vote was taken and Mr. Adkins has now become the CZAR of Section 8 & HUD.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 7:30am
"Forever change Middletown..." he said!!!  "Fifty year plan" he said!!!

But he announces it with little to NO details, and NO ONE on city council bothers to ask any questions???

This is the very same council that hems and haws for YEARS about Section 8.
The very same council that discusses for weeks parking and driveways or a new gin mill.
The same council that went on for months about leash laws and swimming pools.

But propose a TWENTY MILLION DOLLAR, FIFTY YEAR PLAN that will CHANGE MIDDLETOWN FOREVER...
...and these same people don't even raise an eyebrow????

Anyone who believes that this has NOT been "pre-discussed", please call with your credit card number handy...I have a sure-fire "get-rich-quick scheme" that we should talk about! LOL LOL LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 3:08pm
Now, now Mike, you know the City is working on a wonderful plan as we speak however they just can't be rushed. And you should remember that they are the smart people that know what is best for the rest of the community. Just think of all the poor people that can be helped with all this money...(this is the biggest joke of all) They are working overtime at City Hall trying to see how many more employees they can move over to the CDBG-HUD side of the books.
Yep Mike these are the same council members that told us several months ago they were REALLY concerned about the number of Section 8 housing in Middletown...hmmmm it seems they aren't concerned about that number anymore...the new number is now $20 Million. 
I'm sure all those smart people at City Hall are working on one of those large low income housing communities that will bring some really big bucks to Middletown (if you own the land) and we should be hearing about this great plan within the next 6 months. (this little project will double the current number of low income families in our City and schools)
However Mike I'm sure NONE of this was discussed behind closed doors before the council meeting. Wink

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 4:00am

HUD Conflict-of-Interest Requirements: Regulations (Excerpts) -- The City Council is the "Official Applicant" for the City of Middletown!!

- -

- -

When implementing Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program grants, Participating Jurisdictions-PJ's (including the City of Middletown) must adhere to the following Conflict-of-Interest regulations:

• http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=24&PART=92&SECTION=356&TYPE=TEXT&YEAR=2004 - 24 CFR Part 92.356: HOME Conflict-of-Interest Provisions
    These are the Conflict-of-Interest regulations that govern financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions for HOME PJs. The HOME regulations state that no person:
    • Who exercises or has exercised any functions or responsibilities with HOME activities or
    • Who is in a position to participate in decisions or gain inside information may obtain financial interest or benefit from a HOME activity or have an interest in any contract, subcontract, or agreement for themselves or
    • For person with business or family ties.
  • http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=24&PART=85&SECTION=36&TYPE=TEXT&YEAR=2004 - 24 CFR Part 85.36: Procurement
    In the procurement of property and services by PJs, the Conflict-of-Interest provisions of 24 CFR Part 85.36 apply. These regulations require PJs and subrecipients to maintain written standards governing the performance of their employees engaged in awarding and administering contracts. For more general information about procurement requirements, see the Contracting and Procurement subject area within this training module's Employment and Contracting topic.

• http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=24&PART=84&SECTION=42&TYPE=TEXT&YEAR=2004 - 24 CFR Part 84.42: Codes of Conduct
    Part 84.42 mandates that recipients of Federal funds maintain written standards of conduct that govern employee actions as they relate to awarding and administering contracts. Essentially, these standards should state that no employee shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract if there is any real or apparent Conflict-of-Interest involved.
Specific Conflict-of-Interest requirements and guidance for the HOME Program include:
  • http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=24&PART=92&SECTION=356&TYPE=TEXT&YEAR=2004 - 24 CFR Part 92.356 (f)
    This section of the rule addresses the HOME Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply to State recipients, subrecipients, CHDOs, and other owners/developers that receive HOME funds for the development of HOME units. While 24 CFR 92.356 covers financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply specifically to PJs, this cite discusses situations in which there is an appearance or actual instance of conflict or preferential treatment for other recipients of HOME funds.

• http://www.fhasecure.gov/offices/cpd/affordablehousing/library/homefires/volumes/vol2no2.cfm - HOMEfires Volume 2, Number 2
    HOMEfires is the official HOME policy newsletter published by HUD. This issue of the newsletter addresses the HOME Conflict-of-Interest provisions that apply to people serving on CHDO boards and the boards of other nonprofit organizations that receive HOME funds. While 24 CFR 92.356 covers financial Conflict-of-Interest provisions, this volume of HOMEfires discusses situations in which there is an appearance of conflict or preferential treatment for CHDOs on whose boards PJ staff may serve.
%20

Content current as of 25 October 2004   http://www.fhasecure.gov/offices/cpd/affordablehousing/training/web/crosscutting/administrative/conflictregs.cfm#top -  
http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/foia/ - FOIA http://www.hud.gov/assist/privacy.cfm - Privacy http://www.hud.gov/assist/webpolicies.cfm - Web Policies and Important Links   http://www.hud.gov/ - Home http://www.hud.gov/library/bookshelf11/hudgraphics/fheologo.cfm">%5blogo:%20Fair%20Housing%20and%20Equal%20Opportunity%5d
%5bLogo:%20HUD%20seal%5d U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
http://www.hud.gov/localoffices.cfm - Find the address of a HUD office near you

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 5:55am
As the Council is also the Middletown Housing Authority who can make Administrative decisions and recommendations to themselves and then vote on them, maybe they did meet as the Housing Authority and discuss some of these issues.  Since we can find no minutes of any of these meetings so far who knows what has gone on with the Housing Authority.   Or is the Housing Authority soley in operation to deal with Section 8 Housing?

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:00am
Simply put, no member of the Local Governing Authority (City Council) may benefit directly or indirectly from any HUD funded activity during their respective terms of office or for 12 months immediately following their vacation of said position.  Keep this in mind.

NRS

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:04am
Who knows????
Of course, Council is IN VIOLATION of law by even BEING ON the Middletown Housing Authority!!!  (ORC 705.12:  Members of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation shall be electors of the municipal corporation. They shall not hold any other public office...)

Of course, Middletown's City Council has never let a little thing like THE LAW stop them from doing what them want for the eleven years that I have been back here!!

Being a member of a "Municipal Housing Authority" is indisputably a “public office”!

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:20am
MIDDLETOWN JOURNAL:  SOME READER RESPONSES TO $25+ MILLION HUD STIMULUS, SCHMIMULUS MANNA FROM HEAVEN

19+ million dollars of our tax money (and others throughout the nation) to add to the federal deficit, increase the probability of a lingering economic malaise with more job losses, high inflation, and perhaps even a total economic collapse. And they're worried about a facelift for neighborhoods. With unemployment high, how long do you think it will be before they need more $ for another facelift, just like a 2nd Stimulus package. We need to vote short-sighted politicos out of office ASAP.
Gregg Nicholl
6:07 AM, 7/10/2009

While I understand Middletown and Hamilton desiring a facelift, are they one bit concerned that it is at the expense of their children and grandchildren? "No permanent jobs will be created through this program." Could be said about the whole "stimulus." OPM - other peoples' money.
Roger Titkemeyer
5:50 AM, 7/10/2009

I wish our CITY could find some money to fix all these roads...the bolts on my cars have to be tightened at LEAST once a month from driving on those disgrace they call roads ....
dj
7:59 PM, 7/9/2009

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:00am
Time for a visit to the next Council meeting to seek details/explanation of Mr.Adkins' stimulus fund request. 25 million for exactly what, as many are beginning to ask?
Any program of this magnitude must surely be laid out in detail, so let's show it all to the public.

Also--Section 8.
It would seem that any property manipulation through demolition, "land banking", re-construction et al would dramatically increase the Section 8/assistance demographics two-fold to tripling at a time where Council/Admin has pledged to downsize these programs.

A companion to Mr.Adkins' explanation should be comments from police, emergency and schools as to how they are prepared to deal with this project in a time of down-sizing, loss of tax base(long-term possibly by Mr.Adkins' "agenda").

As Ricky might say, "Doog, yu gotta lot of "splainin' to do!".
And let's hear Council's take on this also.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:26am
"We are not setup at this time to answer questions."  Thank you for your comment.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:33am
LOLLOLLOLYep Pacman..that would be the 20 Million Dollar answer from the CityLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:39am
Good Morning Pacman, Viet Vet, Miss Vivian, Mike Presta, Etc. -

Earlier this week I submitted a posting about an elderly Ward 2 homeowner who received one of the 2,300 housing code violation "love letters" from the Community Revitalization Department.  As you may recall, this fixed-income African-American resident was cited for the crime of peeling front porch paint.

In retrospect, it's good that I mentioned he was an active member of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee and still a personal friend.  Could it be that some of the folks at One Donham Plaza caught wind of this as rumors of potential litigation continue to swirl?

Well, I have good news to report.  My friend from Ward 2 was contacted by a Diversity Specialist and told that his little problem would be taken care of at no cost.  In fact, he might even get his entire house painted to boot!

I should point out that civic-minded people like John Soppanish and other members of the 2nd Ward Community Council have talked about taking care of this problem for my friend without dipping into the large HUD kitty of funds.  They are to be commended for this expression of neighborly self-help.

How does all of this strike you?  If you know of anyone with similar problems please tell them to call City Hall and say that they are friends of mine.  Maybe more freebies will be on the way for them too?

Nelson Self
Community Development Administrator
January 2007 - January 2009

P.S.  I wonder if a local newspaper will look into this??ConfusedConfused 

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:49am
I have a question...Do we have a Middletown Habitat for Humanity Group?
If so why aren't they doing any rehab work in some of these older homes as they have in other communities?  

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:10am
Well, Spider, at least no matter what the Middletown Housing Authority decides to do, there IS a "check" on them since the city council must appropriate any money before they can spend it!!!

Oops, no, WAIT!!!  Those two groups are EXACTLY THE SAME, aren't they???

I guess that "checks and balances" in Middletown will continue to mean that Council will write CHECKS as long as there is a BALANCE in any account that they can get their hands on!!!

-------------

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 3:14pm
OK- Schiavone says he believes HUD is trying to work with older,industrial cities, and he hopes the city can "reap the rewards of this program" WHAT????? Voner, pray tell us what would be the "rewards" coming from HUD programs? Let's see- lowering the town's image- attracting HUD candidates that will lower the income levels, lower the spending and money flow within the town - lowering the overall property values in town - perhaps with a "HUD climate" in town at the level city leaders are pushing for, a higher crime rate - more blinds hanging out of windows - more junky used furniture lying about for the trashmen to haul away - more paint peeling - more junker cars parked on the streets (and in the bare spots on the lawn of the HUD home) lower tax base as people with higher incomes start moving out replaced by lower income residents - an "appalachian feel" to the town - You know- when Cincinnati and Dayton finally meet in the middle, we will be truely the middle of a vast metropolis. Unfortunately, with HUD and Section 8 dominating the scene and firmly entrenched here, we will be the area that they will call the SLUMS or GHETTOTOWN We can thank the city leaders now for that distinction in the future for they are dragging this town into being HUDTOWN USA. CLEAN HOUSE- well, you know the rest

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 4:01pm

CITY OF MIDDLETOWN TO REINVENT EXISTING FEDERAL HOUSING ADMINISTRATION (FHA) HOMEOWNERSHIP INCENTIVE PROGRAM FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT, TEACHERS, FIRE FIGHTERS & EMERGENCY PERSONNEL???ConfusedConfusedConfused

It seems that the new Community Revitalization Department braintrust wants to reinvent an already existing FHA home ownership initiative that has helped/is helping police, emergency and fire fighting personnel plus teachers in purchasing government owned housing at significant discounts???ConfusedConfusedConfused

At the last City Council meeting a prominent member mentioned a project that Community Revitalization Department staff is working on to provide financial incentives to assist these classifications of local government employees to purchase homes at discounts.  It would appear that he and City of Middletown staff are unaware of the following???ConfusedConfusedConfused

I hope that they won't mind me bringing this matter to their attention so that the multi-million dollars of HUD funds they plan on can be used as wisely and efficiently as possible???ConfusedConfusedConfused

About HUD Good Neighbor Next Door

- -
http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm"> Information by State
http://espanol.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/gnndabot.cfm?lang=es"> Esta página en español
http://www.hud.gov/utilities/print/print.cfm?referer=http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/gnndabot.cfm"> Print version

-
Related Information
-
%20-%20  http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/main.cfm - Good Neighbor main page
%20-%20  http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/gnndserv.cfm - Good Neighbor Mortgages
%20-%20  http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hoc/hsghocs.cfm - Homeownership Center
%20-%20  http://www.hud.gov/homes/index.cfm - Property Listings by State
%20-%20  http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/revite/abtrevt.cfm - Revitalization Areas

Law enforcement officers, pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade teachers and firefighters/emergency medical technicians can contribute to community revitalization while becoming homeowners through HUD's Good Neighbor Next Door Sales Program. HUD offers a substantial incentive in the form of a discount of 50% from the list price of the home. In return you must commit to live in the property for 36 months as your sole residence.

How the Program Works

Eligible Single Family homes located in http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/revite/abtrevt.cfm - are listed exclusively for sales through the Good Neighbor Next Door Sales program. Properties are available for purchase through the program for five days.

How to Participate in Good Neighbor Next Door

Check the http://www.hud.gov/homes/index.cfm - . Follow the instructions to submit your interest in purchasing a specific home. If more than one person submits on a single home a selection will be made by random lottery. You must meet the http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/particip.cfm - for a law enforcement officer, teacher, firefighter or emergency medical technician and comply with HUD's regulations for the program.

HUD requires that you sign a http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/gnndserv.cfm - for the discount amount. No interest or payments are required on this "silent second" provided that you fulfill the http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/gnndserv.cfm - .

The number of properties available is limited and the list of available properties changes weekly.

To learn more, please see our Good Neighbor Sales http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/gnndfaq.cfm - !

http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?mailto:info@fhaoutreach.com -

%20

Content current as of 27 February 2007   http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/gnndabot.cfm#top">Follow%20this%20link%20to%20go  Back to top   
----------
http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/foia/ - FOIA http://www.hud.gov/assist/privacy.cfm - Privacy http://www.hud.gov/assist/webpolicies.cfm - Web Policies and Important Links   http://www.hud.gov/ - http://www.hud.gov/library/bookshelf11/hudgraphics/fheologo.cfm">%5blogo:%20Fair%20Housing%20and%20Equal%20Opportunity%5d
%5bLogo:%20HUD%20seal%5d U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
http://www.hud.gov/localoffices.cfm -

Posted By: pattyinohio
Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:52pm
I am new to this blog but have been reading comments for a while. I have at times smiled, Smile laughed,LOL shook my head Confused but most of the time everyone is very informative about what 's going on in our city.  I have a question about section 8, is  there  to many section 8 houses or should we have no section 8 at all ?  I think section 8 is a good program but not being used as it should be, like food stamps that people sale for money.  I have seen people who do not deserve to be on section 8 and i know people waiting for a the vouchers to be released who are really in need of the help. How can it ever be fixed so those that do not abuse it can get it ? I know this is going to hurt Ouch  but do you have  any ideas ?

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:23pm
Section 8 is fine for LEGITIMATE users of the program. The rap on the Section 8 program here in Middletown is the AMOUNT of Section 8 housing the city has and apparently wants to increase because the federal program provides revenue for the city. Since the city leaders don't want to address the lack of revenue problem by luring companies to town to create jobs that will allow more people to earn money and move to the city to buy the abundance of homes for sale, they are trying every trick in the book (such as Section 8 saturation funds) (EXCEPT traditional means) to raise revenue. We have , at last count, 1662 Section 8 vouchers (probably more to come). The city is slated for approx. 700 or so by population. Middletown has more Section 8 vouchers than any city in Butler County by a large margin. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that posters) That's the problem here. We citizens who care, are mad as he-- about the 1662 and the apparent plan by the city manager and others to make Middletown the slum capital of Ohio by saturating the town with HUD/Section 8. We've gone from a normal blue collar town to an Appalachian slum ghetto town using this approach. JMO

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:33pm
Question:  Are the anointed imaginary railroad engineers of the "HUD High Speed Passenger Train To Nowhere" really qualified to keep from running off of the tracks here in Middletown?ConfusedConfused

Millions of Federal funny money dollars are now at their disposal and it looks like they don't know how to apply the brakes to the runaway train??OuchOuch

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:29pm
Thanks for your reply. I had no idea there were that many section 8 houses in middletown., but until they get jobs in this town again i imagine the numbers will go up. I grew up in this town and hate to see it declinging.

Posted By: Hermes
Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:18pm

$25 million slated for the county under revitalization and Middeltown is getting $19 million of it. Wonder how quickly that money will vanish into unknown places ? Why isn't Hamilton in trouble ? Isn't Hamilton bigger than Middeltown ? I never hear about the woes of Hamilton.

-------------
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!

Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:03pm
Pattyinohio it is not the Section 8 program that is the problem it is the excessive amount of Section 8 that Middletown has.  Middletown supposedly has 1662 Section 8 Vouchers assigned by HUD but has had up to 1698 in use in a given month.  Supposedly Section 8 vouchers were supposed to be reduced to about 700-800 by the city by attrition but some say now the City has reneged on that statement  To put it in perspective the last time I checked Middletown had 1 Section 8 voucher for every 31 residents and New York City had 1 for every 100 residents.  Our Section 8 is excessive considering our Population in Butler County.  We make up 15% of Butler County's residents yet have 60-70% of the Section 8 Vouchers.  There is something wrong with the system and City leadership that permits this to happen.

No one is saying not to have Section 8 only that the numbers of Vouchers needs to be brought more in line with the Cities percentage of population in the county.  The City also maintains a waiting list of 500 residents for its Section 8 vouchers and 22% of it's population lives below the poverty line.  This much Section 8 and the large waiting list and the Public Housing numbers just adds up to a City with Socioeconomically way out of Balance.

As you can see by following the City Council meetings most of what council deals with is HUD, HUD, HUD. and 2-3 years just to get a new Section 8 admin contract.  it is as if nothing else exists in the City but HUD, Section 8 and Poverty.  The City deals with little else as the only funds they can get are Government HUD Funds.

There is more to Middletown than HUD, Section 8, HUD, Section 8, Poverty, unfortunately that is what Council focuses on.

Date Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 4:15pm
Thanks for your reply Pac Man I can see the problem with the HUD situation. I have a grandson who is a special needs adult (19 yrs old ) he's been waiting for a  voucher for close to a year He get ssi and does not have alot of money for rent and section 8 would really help him. Its a shame it is abused because that makes it hard for the people who need it to be left without the help. i know of a case where a woman with kids has section 8 and her  boyfriend works at ak and they live together, it abuses like this that need worked on but i don't ever see that happening anyway thanks for your info  

Posted By: lrisner
Date Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by pattyinohio pattyinohio wrote:

Thanks for your reply Pac Man I can see the problem with the HUD situation. I have a grandson who is a special needs adult (19 yrs old ) he's been waiting for a  voucher for close to a year He get ssi and does not have alot of money for rent and section 8 would really help him. Its a shame it is abused because that makes it hard for the people who need it to be left without the help. i know of a case where a woman with kids has section 8 and her  boyfriend works at ak and they live together, it abuses like this that need worked on but i don't ever see that happening anyway thanks for your info  

They actually have to temporarily De-Man the Apartment for their scheduled inspections. This is a common practice and I am sure the Inspectors are aware. Generally the "Man" provides little Luxury items like Cable to stay in good with the Lease Holder.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 7:51am
Originally posted by pattyinohio pattyinohio wrote:

I know this is going to hurt Ouch  but do you have  any ideas ?
Patty,
That didn't hurt at all, did it? Big%20smile
We aren't as evil as some make us out to be.  In fact, we are a quite amicable and helpful bunch...as long as you do not attack us.
You might even find us to be...

...nice.

(But don't tell anyone. You'll ruin our reputations!Embarrassed)

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 10:17am
Mike
    I promise not to ruin your reputation by using the four letter word (n--e) Wink They members on this blog are very helpful.  Are any of you going to runfor city council ? You would be a great asset to this city. Thanks for your replies and help Big%20smile 

Date Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 6:33am
INTERNAL HUD INSPECTOR GENERAL AUDIT OF PHILADELPHIA & BALTIMORE FIELD OFFICES DID NOT ADEQUATELY MONITOR CDBG PROGRAM GRANTEES -- MAYBE THEY WOULD LIKE TO EXAMINE THE RECENT HUD COLUMBUS FIELD OFFICE "MONITORING" OF THE CITY OF MIDDLETOWN TOO??ConfusedConfusedConfused

We audited the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) monitoring of its Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program grantees under the jurisdiction of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Baltimore, Maryland, Community Planning and Development (CPD) field offices as part of our annual audit plan. The audit objective was to determine whether those offices adequately monitored their CDBG program grantees to ensure that they used their grant funds to assist low- and moderate-income families through eligible activities according to HUD requirements. The Philadelphia and Baltimore CPD field offices did not adequately document their monitoring of CDBG program grantees. Specifically, the field offices did not always maintain documentation to demonstrate that their monitoring was complete and did not always notify grantees of the findings and concerns identified during on-site monitoring within the required time limit. We recommended that the Directors of HUD’s Philadelphia and Baltimore CPD field offices reemphasize to their staffs the importance of following established monitoring procedures, specifically to ensure that all correspondence, documentation, and work papers relating to the monitoring and conclusions are maintained in the official monitoring files; monitoring officials use the required monitoring exhibits; monitoring officials answer all of the questions and fill in all of the text boxes in the monitoring exhibits; and staffs prepare and send notification of the monitoring results to the grantees within the required 45-day time limit. In addition, we recommended that the Directors develop and implement a written quality assurance procedure and/or mechanism to ensure that monitoring conclusions are appropriately supported by complete documentation and that monitoring letters are submitted to grantees within the 45-day requirement.

This electronic report has been posted to our website and may be viewed directly via this link. This PDF version will allow you to print the report to your local printer.

http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?/offices/oig/reports/files/ig0930002.pdf - http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?/offices/oig/reports/files/ig0930002.pdf

Date Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 9:57am
SECTION 8 -- MORE HYPOCRISY FROM CITY HALL & SELECTIVE LOCAL "REPORTING"

Eddie -

Amongst the volumes of information that I foolishly provided you about the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds, please check your e-mails, etc. regarding Section 8.  You will find information that conflicts with today's news article about the highly-controversial Housing Choice Voucher Program in Middletown!

Shortly after assuming the Community Development Administrator position in January 2007, I was approached by the two Housing Code Specialists and the two Neighborhood Improvement Advisors that I supervised.  I learned that these CDBG-funded personnel were previously directed by senior Planning Department staff NOT TO HANDLE Section 8 properties as they would all other code deficient properties.  Their rationale was that the long-time Section 8 administrator already had HUD-paid staff to take care of this matter.

Please note that I changed this policy immediately.  I informed these four staff members to notify the Section 8 administrator and me whenever they found housing code violations during their routine cavassing of neighborhoods.  Also, please note that there were many e-mails and phone calls made by me to the Section 8 administrator each and every time a violation was found.  I dictated that follow-up site inspections take place between my staff and the Section 8 staff to ensure that all International Property Maintenance Code violations were satisfactorily corrected.  I hope that this overview enlightens you!  Your comments about Judy Gilleland's role in addressing this matter needs to be re-examined.

Eddie, you also point out issues involving Housing Choice Voucher background checks and the possible lack thereof.  In March of 2008 I was contacted by Middletown Police Department personnel regarding this matter.  Even though Judy Gilleland and Marty Kohler had taken over all Section 8 matters of any importance, I recall setting up one or two meetings with Sgt. Cunningham, etc. and C.O.N.S.O.C. to discuss this matter and to find mutually acceptable solutions.  This resulted in closer dialogue between C.O.N.S.O.C. and the Police.  I hope that this overview enlightens you!  Your comments about Judy Gilleland's role in addressing this matter needs to be re-examined.

You also fail to mention that it was me who started the process of requesting monthly databases of Housing Choice Voucher properties and owners from C.O.N.S.O.C. in the latter part of 2007.  I don't believe that this occurred before.  I made certain that Middletown Police, Les Landen, Judy Gilleland, Marty Kohler, my staff and the Water Department received these lists.  Major Hoffman and others can attest to this!

Shortly after my employment ended with the City of Middletown in January of this year, one of Miss Gilleland's weekly newsletters mentioned the departure of a key staff person who administered Section 8 as well as the CDBG and HOME Programs.  She failed to mention that I had little to nothing to do with Section 8 about one year before as noted previously and that I was "railroaded" out of my position.  Do you remember using the term "railroaded" when I finally agreed to meet with you in person and your boss at Pisanello's Pizza in Franklin about six days following my official departure in late January of 2009?

If I sound angry ......................... wouldn't you be?  Please report the facts as they actually occurred!  You have more than enough information to FINALLY set the record straight about so many abuses of HUD funds!

Date Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 3:51am
The Real Truth About HUD Section 8 Tenant Screening & Middletown Police Department, C.O.N.S.O.C., Etc.

Question to Ed Richter & Judy Gilleland:  What's the name of the former City of Middletown division head who first obtained lists of the names of Section 8 tenants from C.O.N.S.O.C. beginning in late 2007 at the request of the Middletown Police Department for purposes of doubling-checking criminal records, outstanding warrants, etc.?

Answer:  Nelson Self, Community Development Administrator (1/2007 - 1/2009)

Posted By: Solutionbased
Date Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 10:43pm
I agree with you on a couple of points Spiderjohn, the area is an eyesore and I'd bet that none of you know this better than me. You see, I grew up on the Southwest side of Mtown and have seen the drastic change in the community. I visit home less and less due to the depressed spirit that resides over the city. And I'm not just speaking of the southwest side of town, I'm talking about from that sad little exit sign off of 75. You see and feel the lack of life right before you enter the "city".

The thing is no one wants to address the real issues at hand. While the housing market is suffering all over the world I can only imagine the condition things are in back home.  I happen to know a few of the individuals that are purchasing these home and capitalizing off of the unfortunate state the market is in. But at least someones doing something. Sure putting these homes on the Section 8 program hurts but it's better than seeing the homes vacant or boarded up.

How about a private solution, instead of Section 8 vouchers why not do a sort of habitat for humanity type program allowing these individuals to put sweat equity into a home. How about that? Maybe put a timeframe on which what can have the Section 8 voucher and then migrate them to homeownership provided they work and help with the building of the home.

I'm all for the program being used when needed and not being abused. But to hear you all comment on a people you see as no more than a number quite frankly upsets me to my core. And trust me, I'm a thick skinned woman with a heart of stone. My only weak spot in my people. I mean that in every sense of the word. Middletown is and always will be home to me. No matter who I become, where I go, the people I rub elbows with etc. It's home.

You see, I've long since relocated to Atlanta GA and am doing better both spiritually and financially than most back home. Even better than those that consider themselves as the "haves". Many are quick to point fingers at this majority of individuals but not willing to pitch in to be a part of the solution. While some of the accusations are valid others aren't. Especially, your point about the police, fire, and social systems being further distressed.

I'm not clear on where this point came from and would like to understand more. Especially since I witnessed first hand how all parties mentioned above would put more focus on this one group of individuals while ignore the happenings out on the east end.

Most of the kids I went to school with that were from we to due families had a larger supply of drugs than any kid I ever grew up with standing on the corners.

I'd never seen cocaine, ecstasy nor any other hard drug until I started befriending the children that belonged to the "haves". These children were running around with credit cards, new cars endless supplies of money with nice homes to party in while there parents were "away" on vacation. I myself having seen first hand what drugs could do (seeing how my past was spent living amongst the "have nots") chose not to partake in the activities but instead observed how they freely roamed the streets speeding around in fast cars, partying in parking lots while no law enforcement was in sight.

It's always been that way and from the sound of things always will be.

Enough of that, lately I've done some research on the state that things are in back home and would very much like to be a part of the solution. Someone on this blog posting mentioned JOBS as a vital part of revitalizing the city. I agree 100%.

I'm wondering why some of you "haves" aren't in positions to benefit from the professional relationships you've developed over the years enough to approach some of these major corporations and speak with them about bringing some remote offices to Middletown or something along those lines. The cost of doing business in a rural area such as this and yes I did say rural in comparison to cities I've seen, has to be dirt cheap. From the cost to build on the land, to the cost of paying employees, and so on. It could be beneficial for all parties involved.

I mean I'm sure all of you "haves" have spent time making more than money right? Don't tell me that money is the only thing you "have"  not after all of the input I'm seeing here. Where are the necessary relationships needed to help bring about change? Why wait on the city council to do it? YOU DO IT!

That's the thing with people, we're always seeing problems but don't offer to help. And THAT itself is part of the problem my fellow Middletonians. Talking and not doing!

And trust me when I say, the Southwest isn't the major issue in mtown when it comes to law enforcements stress. It's just the only place they "choose" to focus on.

As far as a drastic divide, I don't think there could be more of one. There's always been a divide. Due to both sides speculating about the other.

I myself have walked both sides of the fence and see things from all angles. There are issues with housing, the job marketing, citizens not contributing to tax dollars and complaining about a failing school system but again all of these issues can be fixed. If everyone stops complaining and takes a look a what they CAN do. There can be a change brought about that would make Mtown a place ALL are happy to call home.

It's a mountain of issues we're talking about but one by one it can be chipped away.

I hate the condition my city is in and am willing to do what I can to help fix things. I'm working from Atlanta on helping any way I can. Utilizing the resources I've collected over the years. Because I realize that at the end of the day having money doesn't make you a "have" especially if you've not done any good with it. Worrying about our own doesn't help the problems go away. We've got step outside our own homes and see what we can do to help another and if we don't we too are a part of the problems that plague mtown. So now the issue becomes less about the haves and have nots and more about those that can't and would do if they could vs could do but won't because the problem is not close enough to home.

In closing, again I'm a product of those you consider to be the "have nots".

My father was a blue collar worker who rose before the sun everyday to drive to Moraine County and work for General Motors. We owned a nice home that sat right on the river on South Main.

My mother worked 2-3 jobs as needed to give us the kind of life she didn't have as a child.

My grandmother worked as a nurse and owned 3 homes all in which she put blood sweat in tears into maintaining.

My aunt is a community leader that has devoted her life to giving love and direction to the children of those "have nots" that you so freely speak about.

I have several drug free, educated, homeowning, tax paying family members who still reside over there with those "have nots" and are living and they're as we speak trying to figure out ways they can make it better with the lack of resources they have at hand.

So when you speak about something, you may want to have more than "drive bys" as your examples of proof to back you up. Or maybe not speaking on it at all would be better if all  you're going to do is talk about it and not do anything to make it better.

FIND SOLUTIONS! And when you find them. Implement them! Come hell or high waters, make a change instead of making a bunch of noise.

Lastly, while I do understand your frustration I can't help but be appalled that all of you "haves" who have so much to say about the "have nots" can't collectively come together and bring about a change. So all in all, money aside, looks like to me you really don't "HAVE" anything at all!

Sincerely,

Solution BasedWink

Date Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 4:39pm
Your assumption that we are all rolling in $$$$ is just pure crap.  As usual it is go do for those that can't or won't do for themselves.  What a load.  You post is so one sided and blind to the total effect of Excessive Section 8, Public Housing and Poverty in Middletown that it is almost laughable.Angry 

The fact that you don't believe that Excessive Section 8, Public Housing and Poverty doesn't use an excessive amount of the City's resources is UNBELIEVABLE. 

Posted By: Ima B. Lever
Date Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 7:29pm
City Government and the future of Middletown ............ We're lost, but we're making progress?ConfusedConfused 

Date Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 8:09pm

As I've asked in my post please explain where I'm missing facts. And as far as my assumption of you all being loaded I only drew that from the "haves" being mentioned a time or two and I can't see what anyone has aside from $. Because from the way I see things if anyone had anything  to contribute to a solution it would have been contributed by now. And yes I'm one sided when it comes to this discussion as all of you are. I've noticed no one is able to speak for the ones that really need the program and I've also no one can state anything against my saying that with these programs in place and the people that utilize them bringing about more issues for law enforcement is only due to the fact that it is all always will be where enforcement chooses to put their attention.

So after you stop laughing let's come up with solutions. I'm not looking to toss around insults I was hurt by what I saw when  I came home and want to help fix it. But just know it's not only the housing program that's the issue it's also ones that sit back point fingers and worry about their own pockets being touched instead of trying to come up with a resolve that will help everyone.

So again after you stop laughing toss in an idea or two to help fix it. I'll call my resources and you do the same...any takers?!

Date Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 4:57am
Solutionbased
    I also grew up in Middletown moved away and then returned. When I returned I was upset with the condition of many areas of the city and I'm sorry to say it has only gotten worse over time.
    I do not believe that anyone on this blog is against the HUD or Section 8 programs for those that need it. I don’t believe anyone on this blog wants to see a family homeless or hungry. HOWEVER…What we are against is the fact that City Hall in its greed has made us into “HUDTOWN”,
    Like many government programs that started out to help those in need has now become a beast with a life of its own. When a program cost 50 to 80 cents of every dollar to administer, it is no longer operating to help the poor but to fill the pockets of those that run the programs. I believe this is part of the current problem here in Middletown. SOLUTION: We need to reduce the number of Section 8 rentals. City Hall should be frugal with these government funds and cut cost of administering these programs. Use these government funds to help the citizens of Middletown and not their personal pet projects.
I disagree with you on the matter that the number of Section 8 has no effect on our city. All studies show that it effects the schools, health care and crime rates.
    And we have the major problem of education. Our schools are a mess and therefore we do not have a well educated work force. When the children grow up and can't get a job they find other ways of making money that are not legal and the crime rate goes up and the cycle begins. Young girl have babies with the boys that can't get a job and they drop out of school and the cycle continues. SOLUTION: Head Start Programs need to do a better job of getting our children ready for school. Parents need to get involved in the education of their children long before they ever start school.
    I have tried to solve a few of the above problems however without LEADERSHIP from City Hall and School Board little can be accomplished.

Date Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 7:24am
DESCRIPTIONS OF GOVERNMENT IN MIDDLETOWN......

1)  We can't be sensible in "planning" for the future because we might not get there??ConfusedConfusedConfused

2)  The future of Middletown aint what it used to be??ConfusedConfusedConfused 

Date Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 7:26am
OK Solutionbased. You stated "if anyone had anything to contribute to a solution...." and "so after you stop laughing let's come up with solutions" and "toss in an idea or two to help fix it"--- SUGGESTED SOLUTION- Reduce the strain on the city's operation/resources. reputation and image and the school's burden by eliminating the overabundance of Section 8. We have 1662 vouchers for the city now. This is 2 1/2 times the number we are suppose to have. Remove the excess Section 8 from the city and distribute it back to the other Butler County cities that have less than their fair share. TYPICALLY, Section 8 creates a hardship for the police with more calls to the area , places a burden on the schools because, TYPICALLY, the Section 8 family does not put a high priority on education. TYPICALLY, Section 8/lower income families send their kids to school unprepared as to hunger, classroom work or attitude. More free lunches are given in Middletown schools due to the abundance of Section 8/lower income families.Talk to the school officials. They're not happy having to deal with all the Section 8 either. As Vivian stated, we have become the Hudtown/Section 8/ lower income capital of SW Ohio ( which will take many years to overcome) and that's not a good thing. It is shameful to us folks who have been around since the 50's. SUGGESTED SOLUTION- city operations- we, the people, are angry, frustrated and disgusted at the way the city is being run. We have tried to talk to the city leaders and have been ignored. We have indicated over the years that we want the city to go in a growing, progressive, job growth oriented, street fixing, business friendly, logical thinking, money frugal, citizen friendly, open government, private investment downtown planning, entertainment driven, income elevating type of town. We have delivered our message loud and clear to the leaders. End result, after years of delivering the message- we are ignored. SOLUTION- the damage has already ben done by the past Councils and city building leaders. Nothing we can do about that now. However, we can begin at the polls by fielding candidates that have a totally different view for the direction of the town and work to get them elected, replacing the current group who are ruining the town as we speak. If successful here, we're not done yet! The second phase of the change is to clear out the deadwood in the city building. Mass forced resignations must occur from the city manager on down, eliminating the habitual problem children like Planning Director Kohler and others like him. People like him have done so much damage to this city that it will take years to recover. SUGGESTED SOLUTION- we have gone years without producing much of anything on the job front from our so-called Economic Development Department. They have, for the most part, been a non-factor in bringing in any meaningful employment for the people in town. Pittedly little $7 /hour jobs don't count in today's world as to a livable wage. Can't have anything of any worth with that wage scale. Fire the whole Econ. Dev. department and hire a new crew with the stipulation that they will gain the city some meaningful jobs in a certain time period or we'll keep cleaning house until we find a workable combination of people.Change marketing strategy, emphasize the location factor on the I-75 corridor. Go after corporate tech centers, fiber optics companies, communications companies, environmental equipment manufacturers, etc. Don't settle for "industrial park" type positions and wages. He--, find some successful employment marketers in other cities and adjust their plan to fit this city. Use success to breed success.Jobs, jobs and more jobs!!! I relinquish the floor to the other learned members on this site-- Anyone with any other ideas for Solutionbased????? She still may not be convinced that we do have our own ideas and are not just "complainers".

Date Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 9:55am
TWO FINAL CITY OF MIDDLETOWN QUOTES:

"If concerned citizens should ask us questions that we don't know, we won't answer?" ConfusedConfusedConfused

Or,

"When concerned citizens ask us questions that we refuse to answer, then we won't!" AngryAngryAngry

Date Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 10:26am

CURRENT PROPERTY DEMO LIST

215 Baltimore………………………On hold for appeal
403 Baltimore……………………..In process of sending notice
527 Baltimore……………………..On hold for appeal
1903 Casper…………………………Demo date 8-21-2009

1810 Columbia………………………Demo date 8-31-2009
520 Garfield………………………..In process of sending notice
1106 Garfield……………………….On hold for appeal
1120 Garfield……………………….Appealing

607 Malvern…………………………Completed by owner 7-13-2009
1425 Oxford State Rd………...Demo Date 8-31-2009
2115 Sherman………………………..Demo Date 8-14-2009 Bid Awarded
723 Tenth……………………………..Completed 7-14-2009
1317 Woodlawn………………….….Demo Date 8-21-2009
214 Young………………………………Demo Date 7-31-2009
1117 Young……………………………..Demo Date 9-11-2009

Posted By: viper771
Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 11:55am
These aren't any old historic houses are they ms moon????

Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 1:13pm
Thank you Ward 2 candidate John Soppanish for obtaining this "PREVIOUSLY UNAVAILABLE" (??) list of residential properties targeted for HUD-funded demolition by Mr. Adkins and his City staff! ClapClap

Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 2:35pm
Like what I see so far....lets keep em coming! Now that I see I've hit a nerve maybe suggestions will turn into actions and actions into change! Again, keep em coming!

Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 4:55pm
Viper:
It depends upon how you define "historic".
In Middletown, currently--and for the past few decades--"historic" appears to be defined as:
1.  anything for which such designation will bring pecuniary benefits to, or further the personal interests or goals of, a select group of individuals.

For example, a 100 (+-) year old original hospital wing was NOT "historic", but once the entire modern hospital building (of which this wing was a part) was demolished, the entire site and surrounding land became suddenly became "historic".

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 5:13pm

Viper
Yes many of these houses are more than 100 years old…however they have not been declared historic.
The vault at the
Middletown Cemetery
was built about 1870 and has been declared historic and City wants to tear it down.

Posted By: viper771
Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 5:51pm
That is terrible :( Is there anyway some of the stuff could be salvaged from the houses before they are gone? If these houses were out in California, they would still be around 300K in BAD condition. I better get a move on and see if I can get my house on the historic register.

I don't get why the city wants to tear down the vault! If they did their part years ago it wouldn't be in the condition it is in now :( Once this old architecture is torn down, it is gone for good. They don't make stuff as good as they did back then. For the same materials, it would cost a fortune even for the smallest house.

Sorry for my rant everyone, I got a little off topic :)

Date Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 10:26pm
Who are the city officials I would approach with helping with a marketing strategy that could get corporations interested in learning more about the benefits of doing business in Mtown? I'm a marketing strategist and have worked with Enterprise companies, Small to Medium business, politicians, Clevel Execs. etc. I'm more than sure I could help in some way. The key would be to bring more business as you all are aware and the marketing strategy plays as huge role where this is concerned. Which I'm sure you are aware as well.

Date Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 3:26am
The problem is that our city officials do NOT WANT help from mere mortals like you or us, SolutionBased.  Also, they are VERY, VERY picky about what kind of companies and businesses they will ALLOW into our fair city.  First, nothing dirty or messy.  Also nothing that will employ the hoi poloi.

Nothing that will draw anyone who might threaten the local power structure.

They mostly are looking for artsy, fartsy types that will invite them to champaign and caviar parties, and tell them how wonderful they are.

And certainly nothing that will bring in any federal agents!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 9:27am
Mike I had to look this one up, I take it you mean the original meaning---hoi-poloi: The upper echelon of a particular group or of society. (ED, Garret: It has been pointed out that the original meaning of hoi-poloi is, in fact, the lower echelon of a society. I.e., the common people. The submitted definition seems to be a very common subversion of the original meaning, but that's what pseudodictionary is all about.)

Date Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Mike I had to look this one up, I take it you mean the original meaning---hoi-poloi: The upper echelon of a particular group or of society. (ED, Garret: It has been pointed out that the original meaning of hoi-poloi is, in fact, the lower echelon of a society. I.e., the common people. The submitted definition seems to be a very common subversion of the original meaning, but that's what pseudodictionary is all about.)
Pac:
I did, indeed, mean the ORIGINAL and CORRECT definition:

"hoi pol·loi  (hoi p-loi)
n.
The common people; the masses.

[Greek, the many : hoi, nominative pl. of ho, the; see so- in Indo-European roots + polloi, nominative pl. of polus, many; see pel-1 in Indo-European roots.]
Usage Note: Hoi polloi is a borrowing of the Greek phrase hoi polloi, consisting of hoi, meaning "the" and used before a plural, and polloi, the plural of polus, "many." In Greek hoi polloi had a special sense, "the greater number, the people, the commonalty, the masses." This phrase has generally expressed this meaning in English since its first recorded instance, in an 1837 work by James Fenimore Cooper. Hoi polloi is sometimes incorrectly used to mean "the elite," possibly because it is reminiscent of high and mighty or because it sounds like hoity-toity."
The self-appointed ELITE in this city do NOT want the input or assistance of the rest of us, and unless he/she pays proper homage and hosts a champaign and caviar party or two, I am fairly sure that that Mr./Ms. Solutionbased will find that they do not want his/her assistance or input either.  I doubt that Solutionbased is aware that many of us actually HAVE tried to do exactly what he/she is suggesting, and that we have been snickered at, scoffed at, condescended to, ignored, lectured to, and ultimately told that we "don't understand" and that we should sit down and shut up!!!

All that is left is for us to try to spread the truth on forums such as this, and to try to change things via the ballot box, BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there!) we still need ONE good candidate from each Ward!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 7:27pm
Mr. Marconi, Mr. Armbruster & Ms. Ford -

As a reader of MiddletownUSA it is safe to say that each of you has received volumes of documentation from a combination of current and past City employees regarding the waste and abuse of HUD funds.  As I read through the many postings, I find it a bit interesting that nobody from City Hall has ever refuted what has been presented with contradictory facts?

As someone who formerly subscribed to the Middletown Journal, I am saddened that to witness the continued silence or sanitized news from the the local print media.  How discouraging that investigative reporters repeatedly turn their backs time after time instead of examining the facts about the many HUD dollars that have been flushed down the drain!

As a concerned Middletonian, I feel badly for the good people of our community who are upset but don't seem to know how to oppose the elitist "wine and cheese crowd."  We have seen the negative impact of the misguided "thinking" (??) of the planners!

Print Page | Close Window