Forum Description: From Academic results to group and individual achievements
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2101
Printed Date: Apr 27 2024 at 1:51am

Topic: Schools in need to get boost
Posted By: Vivian Moon
Subject: Schools in need to get boost
Date Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 7:57am
Schools in need to get boost
State officials say student success is based on resources available.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/schools-in-need-to-get-boost-342975.html -

The education of community members, as well as property values and wealth, play a role in the success of students, state officials say.”
We need two signs made with the above info to hang above the City Council and School Board Members at their meetings. They should be required to read it out loud before they vote.

”Research shows one of the biggest indicators of student success is parental education, Dyer said.”
Well I guess it’s time for me to speak out on this subject matter. It is time for our young women to stand up and lead this generation out of darkness. They need to stop having children out of wedlock with uneducated young men that are not ready to support their offspring. They are the only ones that can stop this cycle of poverty. If they now have children and want our help then we must require that they get a GED so they can help and support their children in the future.
Research has shown that young women are the key to the success of these programs and the education of the children.

Replies:
Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 8:38am

"The education of community members, as well as property values and wealth, play a role in the success of students, state officials say."

Vivian after the last combined meeting of the City Council and the MCSD I think the MCSD gets this and it is the city that doesn get it or understand it.  When this was brought up at that meeting the Council danced around it and never really addressed or even acknowledged that it was a major issue if I remember correctly.

This is an issue which the City continues to ignore with excessive Section 8 Housing and Public Housing.  A poverty rate of 22%, probably higher.  They just continue on as if this is the norm.

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 9:58am
I agree Pac- I was watching Fiora's reaction after he asked Council some questions pertaining to the Section 8 and how it affected the school district. I watched Mulligan dance around the subject without really providing an adequate answer for Fiora. The school board response was not very positive. Sensed a little "tension" between the two boards.

Print Page | Close Window