Print Page | Close Window

HUD Funds & 3200 Block Ottawa Street Home??

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Manager
Forum Description: Discuss the city manager administration including all city departments.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2650
Printed Date: Mar 29 2024 at 8:54am

Topic: HUD Funds & 3200 Block Ottawa Street Home??
Posted By: Nelson R. Self
Subject: HUD Funds & 3200 Block Ottawa Street Home??
Date Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 12:20pm
A.J. and Josh -

A friend of mine at the Municipal Building tells me that you might want to speak with senior City staff about a relatively new home built in the 3200 blcok of Ottawa Street in Ward Two.  It seems that this six-year old dweling may once again be property tax delinquent.

While there are quite a few other tax delinquent properties in Middletown, none has the history of this house.  Using HUD funds, the original substandard home owned by a lower-income retired household was demolished in  2003 or  2004.  Then, also using HUD funds in 2004, a new three bedroom, two bath ranch home was built on the same lot and financed for the lower-income retired owners.  Over $100,000 was overspent on this property that even now has a market value of $60,000 or less?

There seems to be a continuing history of property tax delinquency involving this home.  In fact, the City had to recast the owners mortgage at $100,000+ about 18 months ago because certain staff didn't respond to legal requirements of Butler County pertaining to a potential tax sale.

Now, this property appears to be in arrears on property taxes again with $100,000+ owed to the City of Middletown.  I brought this matter up last Spring and it didn't generate much interest from MiddletownUSA participants.

You would do the citizens of Middletown a great favor looking into this little HUD problem!

Print Page | Close Window