Print Page | Close Window

Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Manager
Forum Description: Discuss the city manager administration including all city departments.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3080
Printed Date: Apr 28 2024 at 8:50am

Topic: Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??
Posted By: High Speed Rail??
Subject: Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??
Date Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 9:19pm
A familiar MiddletownUSA contributor advised me tonight that the Sutphin Street Project has encountered some major unexpected problems that may expand the scope of work and taxpayers costs??  Anyone??

Replies:
Posted By: randy
Date Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 8:41am
Dont know if it's true or not, but I don not doubt. I live right there, in fact one end of my street is closed as it ends in to Sutphin St. They do have the road tore up, but I have not seen any work done this past week.

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Date Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 10:38pm
Does anyone know about a rumored emergency gathering of City staff, elected officials, etc. to discuss this alleged little problem??

If the rumored emergency is factual, has anyone heard that up to $200,000 in CDBG funds will be transferred from the proposed Lafayette Avenue repaving project??

At the next meeting of the City Council on July 6th, will emergency legislation be presented for an alleged Sutphin Street project change order??

Randy, keep us posted as to the number of additional days that work is halted on this STIMULUS Project.

Anyone??

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 7:02am
Pretty much as I heard it, except the meeting might be earlier(don't they meet this Tuesday for Housing?).
I asked to use the end of the alley behind my business to access exiting there quickly onto Central.
Wanted to use this harmlessly during first of month and holiday business while NO work is being done.
My request was denied.
Asked 2 Councilmembers(1st ward and 4th ward)--no reply from either.

Business friendly and economic retention need to be more than feel good buzz words around here.

So--we can seriously over-pay for worthless real estate that we can't afford to demo, but we can't perform basic obligations like simply fixing a street, or actually completing one street project before tearing apart another busy intersection.

Priority/leadership problems maybe?
Wonder why our retail areas are dead or dying?

Stimulus project--lol

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:08am
SpiderJohn -

Thanks for this morning's post about the Sutphin Street problems and special thanks to Miss Vivian who first informed me.  Thank you both for caring about what goes on behind One Donham Plaza closed doors.  Maybe more Middletonians will someday pay notice to these types of little secrets?

Randy -

Please let us know when any construction may start again on this STIMULUS project.  Your post was also much appreciated.

We badly need much, much more TRANSPARENCY plus ACCOUNTABILITY in local government !!

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:14am
Spider John -

How disappointing that a long-standing business such as yours is prohibited from utilizing an alley because of this little Sutphin Street project.  I agree, it shows how UNSUPPORTIVE our local elitist City Hall decision-makers are.  And, shame on the two City Council members (Picard and Allen) for failing to answer your inquiries.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 8:59am
Will this area become the latest long-term intersection boondoggle similar to the corner of Shafor and University? How long has that vital intersection been shut down, and when will it be repaired and re-opened?

No visits to any of the affected businesses in any of these areas, just like during the extended Yankee Rd.shutdown after the disaster caused by Air Products and AK(oddly both responsible parties were allowed access top the closed road, as were SCHOOL BUSES).  No letters, no phonecalls, no ED updates or newspaper releases clarifying anything.

If you remember this project was emergency legislated early in the year, even though there were still many ?s regarding the scope and expense of this project. Another example of hastily approved and un-necessary emergency legislation. If the project had been researched properly and gone through 1st and 2nd readings, it probably would have been completed without disruption in LESS time than it will take now after the original and ANOTHER round of hastily organized emergency legislation. Is there a lesson here?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 12:39pm
"I hope Tuesday's session will be televised."  

It will be televised Mr. Spider, MUSA will be there getting some video. It is time to put our leaders back in the spotlight.

This Sutphin street project is a mess, as I am sure most of you can see as you drive past. There has been no work in weeks. I do have one question that may sound odd. Were are all those people that live there on Sutphin parking ? I put in a call to the Funeral home there and was informed that they are open and you can get to their building from Woodlawn and Wicof (but that is subject to change).

I have always said that Sutphin street need fixed, but as this price I say it should have been left alone.

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:08pm
So Randy what is the deal on tomorrows meeting glancing briefly at the Middletown Home page saw nothing there?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:27pm
Pac, the next meeting is July 6th. Nothing happening tomorrow

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:44pm
Ok, I stand corrected!! There is a meeting tomorrow, I just got a call from the one of the two council members I still trust. Tomorrow's meeting will be asking for more money for the Sutphin street project. Word I got was dont count on it.

Again if you cant watch or attend the meeting MUSA will be there and will post the video first thing in the morning.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:57pm
To Joshua Laubach -

As a constituent of yours, I sincerely request that you won't continue going along with the dictates of the old boys and girls club at City Hall, etc. and stop voting to confirm their frequent emergency legislative items.  We hope that you'll be a voice for transparency and accountability in municipal government as you promised.  The option is yours.

To A.J. Smith -

Ditto what I said to Joshua.

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Ok, I stand corrected!! There is a meeting tomorrow, I just got a call from the one of the two council members I still trust. Tomorrow's meeting will be asking for more money for the Sutphin street project. Word I got was dont count on it.

Again if you cant watch or attend the meeting MUSA will be there and will post the video first thing in the morning.
What time?

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 3:22pm
I should have asked....What time is the meeting tomorrow?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 3:52pm

5:30 pm , this will be a special meeting to discuss the Sutphin street project and there will also be a a meeting on Middletown Public housing .

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Just for my own edification we would vote "NO" on this issue........why?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 4:59pm
Pac, If I understood my phone call, it's not there will be a no vote. It's that that is no more money to give to this project. when this money was put aside for the job it was done so on the numbers that were submitted to council at the time. Now more is needed but there might not be more to give.

I guess we will se tomorrow wont we.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 5:03pm
I repeat, don't be surprised if the budget shuffling routine of City Hall is engaged another time as CDBG funds may be utilized to cover/help cover the cost of this project change order.  JMO.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:03pm
I just took a walk down down Sutphin Street and I must say that the street is a mess. I dont know how long or what the cost to fix it will be but man o man is it gonna be a task.

I cant wait for tomorrows meeting to hear someone explain how this job has turned into what it is now.

-------------

Posted By: Hermes
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:25pm
So if the city got money to do the street why did they run out of money ? (if thats the real problem)

Maybe playing the shell game and transfering it into other fund accounts ?? Which wouldn't shock me. 

-------------
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!

Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 11:11pm
Tomorrow night many Middletonians will look on with interest as City Council reviews this little problem.  It should prove interesting as to which members belong to the Old Guard and which are truly independent.

The citizens of Middletown will be listening closely to the word-smithing from Miss Judy G. and her merry band of City Hall underlings.  Whatever you do, be at One Donham Plaza or watch TV Middletown to watch this one.  It may be quite revealing?  We can only hope.

Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 6:07am
I have walked it also--from Woodlawn to Central.
The city has no option other than to fix it completely now.
Will be interesting to see where the $$ is found, since the project was stopped due to lack of funding.
Since the job must be finished and the $$ must be found--why stop the work for this extended time?
Doesn't the city recognize the hardship to hundreds of residents and businesses?

This project was supposed to be completed by the end ofd July.
Any guess on a new completion date?
End of September would be my guess--long after school starts again.

Old guard--new faces--who cares?
Just get something right.

Thanks to Mr.Adkins for the effort and report.
Seems to say what most around here have been saying for quite a while.
That the Section 8 program has been both detrimental and costly to the city.

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 7:31am
Any of you see how quickly and efficiently the repaving work went from the Midd. city limits out to the Speedway at Manchester and Rt. 25? They had all the lanes stripped in a day or two and had the sublayer on soon after that. Next thing you know, they had the top layer on and the road stripping painted.....minimal delays and inconviences. It can be done........unless it involves the city of Middletown of course.

Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 12:04pm
Here are some pictures I took last night of Sutphin Street.

Sutphin%20Street%20Road%20Repair%20on%20Hold

To it does not look like an easy task to fix.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:20am
OK, the article in the Journal tells us that Gilleland says that there might be some more cost incurred with the increase in materials costs with Barrett Paving. Didn't they sign a contract for a specific amount and both Barrett and the city agreed upon that cost? Why the potential increase in cost now, due to materials increases since January? Shouldn't that have been decided and agreed upon before signing the contract? The article also mentioned that the work stoppage was because the concrete curbs were in "worse shape than we anticipated". What????? Didn't Barrett look at Sutphin BEFORE signing the contract to see what was needed both paving and concrete-wise, to have prevented this from happening? Did they bid on this without actually looking at the job first? Why is it always a cluster when the city is involved in anything they attempt to do?

Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 7:54am
Vet I believe the problem was not visible as it was below ground, the road surface.  These things happen unless you have X-ray vision how are you going to know without ripping up the road each time before you decide to repair or replace it.    The added expense could come in later due to the fluctuation in paving material costs.  Oil goes up Price of asphalt goes up.  Pretty much 1 hr of wanting to rip on someone last night because of the additional costs.  It was going to have to be fixed regardless.  Also this won't be the last time you find a surprise or two when you let your infrastructure go as Middletown has.  I saw little sense in all of the drama last night.  You know you are going to have to fix it and pay for it so let's get it done and move on.

Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 8:32am

Surprised at the condition of Sutphin Street?

Not visible as it was below ground, the road surface?
Doesn't anyone remember that Duke had big holes up and down this street and later this street was paved with big steel plates for months?
Why didn't the City take a little peek then?
Surprise?...I don't think so.
Mercy! 

Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 8:42am
So Vivian why did you drop your Cemetery Complaint against the City?  Or did the City Managers report have a mis-print.  Just curious.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 9:32am
Correct pacman
The problem is below the surface, though any long-timer in the immediate area would know that Sutphin was in seriously poor condition and hadn't been repaired properly in a zillion years. The situation could have/should have been anticiccipated, however when you have people in charge that don't live here or don't spend any time in the area, this is what you get. Especially when you halfway do the projections and scream for un-necessary emergency legislation. Due diligence and more accurate assessments could have prevented this long work stoppage(does anyone REALLY think work will begin until after July 5th, or that this project will be completed before the beginning of the school year?) and extra inconvenience for hundreds of residents and the struggling businesses.

As pac also mentioned, there was no need for drama or posturing(from Council or Admin). At this stage of the mess, there was no other option than to fund the project. So much for no money available.

Everyone who can should walk this street from Woodlawn to Central in order to fully understand the true scope of this poorly planned disaster. Then think about the affected residents.

Posted By: Nick_Kidd
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 10:57am
Vet, I believe that the contractors bid on what the city tells them needs to be done, not on what they think should be done. The bid is on the contract that the city engineers decide what is included.
Vivian is right about Duke Energy putting in new gas lines on Sutphin Street a few years ago. Many curbs and gutters and driveway aprons were replaced about fifteen years when Sutphin was last resurfaced. It appears to me that the "deteriation" is in a reasonablely straight line. It looks more like replacing a gas line than deteriation to me. (Look at the last picture that Randy posted above). Spiderjohn is right about people in charge not living here and no idea about what happened a few years ago that shound be considered.

-------------
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.

Posted By: Iguana333
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 2:21pm
In february of 2009 the Federal Stimulus bill passed, with an aim of getting projects out as quickly as possible. In fact, cities, townships, and counties had about a week to do any preliminary engineering, planning, site reconnaissance, underground exploration, and cost estimating before submitting their funding requests. This is a daunting task for the TOTAL RECONSTRUCTION of 2 major streets (not simple paving as some have seen on Dixie and Manchester).
Less than 2% of these requests were approved, with Middletown receiving 10% of the total funds for the entire region for the Sutphin and University projects. So you see, taking the time to explore every possibility of "what lies beneath" was a luxury not afforded by the Federal Stimulus program.

There are risks involved in most every action, especially in undertaking a major construction project. If one does not take some of these risks in an effort to move things forward, the result is stagnation and eventually failure.

Vivian- Duke Energy's work did not take place in the curb, specifically in the curb plate, which is where the problem lies.

Posted By: lrisner
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 2:38pm
I was driving down Stanley Street the other Day and notice there was Crew doing Curb and Sidewalk repair and had to stop and talk to their Leader. You see, the last time Stanley St. was done in 1978 I was the Contractor that did most of the part I was on.

From my experience doing such work, I can tell you that until you actually start digging things up there is no way to know how good the Concrete is. In this case, I have no doubt that once the Pavement was dug completely up and the edge of the Curb ( 8" thick at the Road face) was exposed,and expected to stand alone for the Paving, the Curb fell apart.

Concrete deteriorates over time and there is no way of knowing when that will be given all the variables and  all the time Sutphin has seen since the last repair.. It might look good from the surface with the Pavement in the front, and the Soil on the back side, holding it together. However once you remove either one of these "Dams" it might easily fall apart.

I guess Engineering could have assumed the worst and included all new Curb  in the Stimulus request, but that might very well put the Dollar amount high enough to have the Project rejected. I don't blame anyone here and hope most of you will cut them some slack. There is plenty of legit Governmental things gripe about in this little Hamlet.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 2:39pm
The most interesting facet of last night's session was Councilmembers' amazement and irritation over not being made aware of the work stoppage. Admin should have a sense of obligation to inform both Council AND the public(particularly those in the seriously affected area) as to what is going on. This lapse can be viewed as either total disregard or basically covering one's ass--with neither option being proper or acceptable.

This delay is a MAJOR hardship for the residents and businesses in the area.
If anyone really believes that work resumed today, and that construction will begin tomorrow, I hope that they take the time to walk the area and see for themselves.

Posted By: Richard Saunders
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 4:22pm

Please permit me to make an observation that should be as shockingly clear as a lightning bold striking a wet kite line.

The most obvious shortcoming is the lack of an informed opinion from a completely uninvolved expert.

I see and hear only the comments from pundits who either:

Are not the acknowledged masters of the engineering and construction arts;

Or, if having some such credentials, then have interests of gain or loss, either actual or possible future, in the goings on, and outcomes of, of the current situation.

Have ye not learned from history that one cannot possibly get unbiased observations from those involved in, or who may stand to gain or lose by the outcome of, any questionable situation?

Simply find an honest man, skilled in the necessary arts involved, but with no intentions or possibility of risk or reward from the resolution of the questions at hand…and then ask him!

Or would that be too simple and straightforward for such an august and pompous group as that involved in this situation?

Posted By: wasteful
Date Posted: Jun 30 2010 at 4:42pm
I find your comments somewhat pompous rather than dignified or imposing.  Now if you would like to drop the charades and make a comment please do, in a less obnoxious way.

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

I find your comments somewhat pompous rather than dignified or imposing.  Now if you would like to drop the charades and make a comment please do, in a less obnoxious way.
Hey!!!  As most of you might know by now, I can speak all of those languages (Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious)!!!  Maybe I can translate for y'all!!!

I'll give it a shot!!!

Please permit me to make an observation that should be as shockingly clear as a lightning bold striking a wet kite line.

Let me tell you what should already be obvious.

The most obvious shortcoming is the lack of an informed opinion from a completely uninvolved expert.

The biggest problem, so far, is that we haven‘t heard from someone without a dog in this fight, who also knows his "stuff" about road work design and construction.

I see and hear only the comments from pundits who either:

Are not the acknowledged masters of the engineering and construction arts;

So far, he’s only seen comments from “sidewalk superintendents” who:

don’t know "stuff" about this kind of stuff;

Or, if having some such credentials, then have interests of gain or loss, either actual or possible future, in the goings on, and outcomes of, of the current situation.

Or, if they do know their "stuff", they’ve already got a dog in this fight so we can’t really trust them to be impartial or to tell us the straight scoop.

Have ye not learned from history that one cannot possibly get unbiased observations from those involved in, or who may stand to gain or lose by the outcome of, any questionable situation?

If you’ve been around the block a time or two, shouldn’t you have learned that if somebody, themselves, has something to win or lose, or might’ve made a mistake that they’re trying to cover up, you probably can’t rely on them to be completely straight on the subject?

Simply find an honest man, skilled in the necessary arts involved, but with no intentions or possibility of risk or reward from the resolution of the questions at hand…and then ask him!

Use your head, man! Just find an honest man who knows all about this sort of "stuff", but doesn’t have anything to gain or lose on this deal, and who isn’t out to get involved for money, and then ask him what the deal is.

Or would that be too simple and straightforward for such an august and pompous group as that involved in this situation?

Or, is that too easy for you stupid @$$-hole know-it-alls to understand???

I hope that this helps.  Big%20smile LOL LOL

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Posted By: wasteful
Date Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 6:52pm
I got that much the first time around only I skipped right to the last line.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 7:06pm
I can't decide which version was the most condescending.
Actually neither said much of anything.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

I got that much the first time around only I skipped right to the last line.
If you mean the "august and pompous group" part, I am unsure whether he is referring to the group at City Hall or to us, the group of posters  on MiddletownUSA.  I prefer to think that he meant the group at city Hall, and so I laugh with him.

Then again, in the past I have been called a "pompus a**" and it didn't hurt a bit, so it wouldn.t bother me if it happens again!Star LOL LOL

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jul 01 2010 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

[QUOTE=wasteful]I find your comments somewhat pompous rather than dignified or imposing.  Now if you would like to drop the charades and make a comment please do, in a less obnoxious way.
Hey!!!  As most of you might know by now, I can speak all of those languages (Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious)!!!  Maybe I can translate for y'all!!!

I'll give it a shot!!!

Use your head, man! Just find an honest man who knows all about this sort of "stuff", but doesn’t have anything to gain or lose on this deal, and who isn’t out to get involved for money, and then ask him what the deal is.

/QUOTE]

I already did that, but as it didn't claim City Corruption or some other Evil, it was dismissed. As to qualification, my Family has been doing such work since 1961. My Dad might very well have done the Street some of you live on right now.

If that is good enough, then I think you are looking for someone to tell you what you want hear rather than the truth.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 1:32am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

If you can't decide which version was "the most condescending" and you find that "neither said much of anything" then my tongue-in-cheek translation must have been VERY accurate!!!

Thank you for the compliment!!

I'm sure that only you or lrisner could've done better!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 2:15am
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

[QUOTE=wasteful]I find your comments somewhat pompous rather than dignified or imposing.  Now if you would like to drop the charades and make a comment please do, in a less obnoxious way.

I'll give it a shot!!!

/QUOTE]

I already did that, but as it didn't claim City Corruption or some other Evil, it was dismissed. As to qualification, my Family has been doing such work since 1961. My Dad  the Street some of you live on right now.

If that is good enough, then I think you are looking for someone to tell you what you want hear rather than the truth.

Perhaps, then, you can also find someone in your family who has been working with the "quote" feature in this application long enough to teach you how to use it to the extent that others are able to make sense of whatever points you are trying to make.
You appear to be addressing this mess to me, but I have no idea from which lame portion of your brain you snatched the fragmented phrases "City Corruption" or "some other Evil", or the idea that I had any interest in your "Family" or what your "Dad might very well have done".

I can, to a 100% certainty, guarantee you that I am NOT "looking for someone to tell" me what I "want hear rather than the truth", and even if I was, that "someone" would NOT be YOU!

Now, I don't know why you seem to always want to try to pick an arguement with me, but it is getting old, and it is not even close to a "sporting" event.

If reading my posts (even when they bear so little, if any, relationship to what you seem to imagine they say) bothers you so much, please STOP reading them!  (You easily can tell which are mine because MY NAME always appears just above them.  When my name is NOT there, they are NOT mine!)  If you cannot stop reading them, but they continue to bother you so, well, I'm sure that there is an 800 number that you can call, or some self-help web site where you can go to, to find solace, and camaraderie with others like yourself in an accepting and caring atmosphere.
Or, you can always join "jm" in attacking me in comments to Journal e-dition stories that I have not commented upon for things I have not said and for views that I may or may not hold.  There are even some cartoon characters who seem to enjoy verbally "beating up" nuts such as you and "jm", and they seem better at it than I, so go there and enjoy yourself!

Oh, and have a nice day!

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 7:56am
No one is claiming corruption or evil, though incompetance, unnecessary work stoppage, affected residence/business hardship and secrecy could be applicable.

Same with the assumption that using a real proper name other than a screen name certifies some higher degree of honesty, accuracy or righteousness.

I have no experience whatsover with road/curbing construction, and respect the posts here of those with that backround. Your info minus the personality part is very helpful.

I have operated a business on Sutphin and approximate to the area for over 50 years, and lived in that area also.Sutphin is a vital connecting roadway, much more-travelled than many realize. There had been no deep roadwork in that area for as long as I can remember(I travel it multiple times every day). IMO the construction experts/planners should have probably anticipated a worst case scenerio as a realistic/likely possibility, and had a back-up plan accordingly.

The discovery and subsequent extra funding could have been planned secondarily IF those in charge and approving had taken proper time to thoroughly outline the project. To stop the work, pull all workers and equipment off the job then go through the theatrics and spinning we witnessed would not have happened. Plan B could have been implemented to the surprise of no one. The extra funding and work(already anticipated as worst case) could have gone on un-interrupted. To shut these businesses and impact the hundreds of residents for an extra 3-week minimum(over 2 weeks already) is a serious hardship.

Once again, I blame the rush and incomplete planning on un-necessary emergency legislation and an intentional lack of provided information to make an educated and proper decision.

Dog in this fight? We ALL have a stake in this project to a varying degree. It is now an on-going mess with nothing happening on dry, pleasant weather working conditions.

Bottom line--none of the posturing and egotism displayed here or by Council/Admin has put one worker back on the project yet. Does anyone really expect anything to happen before next Tuesday at the earliest?

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 9:13am
From a business stand point there is always more then 1 bid.  Did we accept the lowest bid thinking we were getting a good deal?  Where the other bids higher, and were they higher because they recommended replacing what we are now having the issue about?  If so then it is our management/coucil error.  I. 

I like the idea of bringing in someone that knows about construction work that does not have any gain from the project.  To my knowledge no one on council is an expert on concrete construction.  It is obvious if you drove down 122, that is completely screwed up.  I f you drive down University right now you see that some of the gutter work is marked for replacement and some is not - will we have the same issue with this work as well? 

Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 10:05am
Mr Presta. Accept my apology for the "quote" error. My post was not directed at you but rather, from my vantage point, an add to your post. It is understandable that you were confused.

Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

From a business stand point there is always more then 1 bid.  Did we accept the lowest bid thinking we were getting a good deal?  Where the other bids higher, and were they higher because they recommended replacing what we are now having the issue about?  If so then it is our management/coucil error.   

As a matter of fact the bids are made based on what the City wants and the Specs laid out by the City Engineers. It is not up to the Contractor to decide what work needs to be done. They only look at so as to be informed about any obstacles, safety, traffic, other things that could impact their cost.

As to if I had a Dog in this fight, one of the losing Bids was from  the Company where my Dad was a part of Management and I still have family working there now. If personal interest were involved, I would been saying just the opposite so as to make the inference that the current Contractor did something wrong as way to Promote the The "Family" Company for future Bids.

I think under the circumstances, I was fair to say the least.

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 10:22am

IMO - Would there not have been discussions of the possiblitity that this extra work might need to be done.  If so- would it not have been the smart thing to add this to the bid - then if not needed we could have sent the non used stimules money back.  It is always better to say you came in under budget, then to ask for more money especially when we really don't have it.  Our engineers should have known this is a possibility and asked for it to be included. 

Is the work that was done on St Rt 122, state work or city work.  Because if that is what the engineers for the city planned - it is awful.  I can understand why people from other areas do not come to Middletown, the roads into town are confusing. 

Date Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 5:14pm
Fine!!!
I didn't have a dog in this fight.
I haven't even run with the dogs for over 12 years now!! ( LOL)
But if you're gonna bark at me...

I'll have more to say later. 

(Friday evenings are ALWAYS reserved for my wife and I to socialize!!! Heart )

-------------

Posted By: Dead man walkin'
Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 12:48am

No one is claiming corruption or evil, though incompetance, unnecessary work stoppage, affected residence/business hardship and secrecy could be applicable.

Same with the assumption that using a real proper name other than a screen name certifies some higher degree of honesty, accuracy or righteousness.

I have no experience whatsover with road/curbing construction, and respect the posts here of those with that backround. Your info minus the personality part is very helpful.

I have operated a business on Sutphin and approximate to the area for over 50 years, and lived in that area also.Sutphin is a vital connecting roadway, much more-travelled than many realize. There had been no deep roadwork in that area for as long as I can remember(I travel it multiple times every day). IMO the construction experts/planners should have probably anticipated a worst case scenerio as a realistic/likely possibility, and had a back-up plan accordingly.

The discovery and subsequent extra funding could have been planned secondarily IF those in charge and approving had taken proper time to thoroughly outline the project. To stop the work, pull all workers and equipment off the job then go through the theatrics and spinning we witnessed would not have happened. Plan B could have been implemented to the surprise of no one. The extra funding and work(already anticipated as worst case) could have gone on un-interrupted. To shut these businesses and impact the hundreds of residents for an extra 3-week minimum(over 2 weeks already) is a serious hardship.

Once again, I blame the rush and incomplete planning on un-necessary emergency legislation and an intentional lack of provided information to make an educated and proper decision.

Dog in this fight? We ALL have a stake in this project to a varying degree. It is now an on-going mess with nothing happening on dry, pleasant weather working conditions.

Bottom line--none of the posturing and egotism displayed here or by Council/Admin has put one worker back on the project yet. Does anyone really expect anything to happen before next Tuesday at the earliest?

Sure, Spiderman.  No one ever claims any of that stuff except you on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, or is it Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays?  And of course YOU never let your personality get in the way of anything, do you?
You're not the only businessman in town and I wonder how much you'd care if your business wasn't being incoonvenienced?  You'd probably flip over and side with your pals downtown against the citizens then, wouldn't you.

Presta should've had a look at this and given his professional opinion.  He owes the town that much.  Instead, all he did was go for a few cheap laughs with the "I speak Pompous and Jive, etc" routine.  You just dind't think it was funny when you needed someone to back your view up.

You don't seem to worked up about whose dog is/has been in the fight on other spots where the same thing happens to your commpetitors, do you? University/Marsh comes to mind. 

You people don't worry about the "spinning and theatrics" unless it directly affects YOU so the city gets away with it all the time.  You take their side when it suits you.  I didn't here you protest the hogwash spin and theatris about the market Drive mess. Where were your tears then?  Oh, not your problem was it?  Old 25 in front of Guyler's and Ristaneo's and Micamanoco's?  Need I go on?

But now they affect YOUR place, and YOU wonder where everyone is to take your side?  Where were YOU when THEY needed support?

-------------
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 6:33am
But now they affect YOUR place, and YOU wonder where everyone is to take your side?  Where were YOU when THEY needed support?

Hmmmmmm, seems to me one could ask you the very same question, Mr. 21 Posts aka Dead Man Walkin.  You come on the scene here belittling others yet where have you been for the last 2-3 years that many of us have been warning people that change is needed in this city.  You offer very little in the way of information other than to tell others what they should be doing or should have done.

Do you know these people on here personally?  I know many of them and I talk to some of them regularly and they show far more concern for everyone in this city then you do with your rants and demands.  Just because you may be a 'Dead Man Walkin' doesn't give you any special privileges to come here and give orders and make demands of people.

Have a nice day.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:01am
Whatever, Dead Man.
Sure--I care mostly about my situation.
I believe that I have mentioned the University/Shafor situation repreatedly here and in my conversations with engineering,admin and Council. Same with the other University water mane break and the I75/122 boondoggle.

BTW--no work has been done on Supthin since the meeting last Tuesday despite the promises. Hopefully it will resume today.

So--I concern myself with screwed up messes that effect me.
Big surprise--isn't that what I should be doing?
As for expecting "everyone to take my side", I pretty much play my own game here.
As for Presta being consulted on the road projects--are you serious?

You have a strange way of thinking--trying to manipulate others to speak up for what you see as important also. As always, if you have issues, you had better deal with them yourself.

Hey--great to have interesting points of view here.
Room for one more?

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:46am
Mr. Dillman -

High Speed Rail?? is me (Nelson Self).  I have no clue who Dead Man Walkin' might be.  If you check with Randy he can probably confirm this.

I deeply regret your comments about me.  If it makes you feel better to speak about my issues, so be it.  At least I continue to seek professional help and am not ashamed to say so.  Better get your facts right before you blind side someone else.

Before praising Mr. Adkins further, it might be interesting if he informed us citizens how the $2.144 Million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One funds have/are really being spent.  In my heart I know that I've provided a unique insight into some of the things that happened at City Hall.  If the information I've shared is not useful , I feel truly sad for the honest, tax-paying citizens of Middletown.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 9:34am
Sorrr if I confused the two screen names, Mr.Self.
I will re-direct my approach accordingly.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:43pm

So much to be addressed!!!

First, to Mr. Walkin’:

To paraphrase Brutus in Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar”: I am not sure If I come to praise you or to bury you.

While I do agree with some of what you say, I neither need you to speak for me, nor to defend me, and I especially do not need you to act as my conscience. I appreciate your confidence in me, and assure you that I have answered with the best that is in me and will continue to try to do so. I will add that one’s head does get quite painful from constant beating against the same wall. If you were aware of all the circumstances, I feel sure that you would understand the need to take an occasional break. Out of compassion for the situation for the circumstances I perceive your chosen username to imply, I will say no more.

Now, on to Spiderjohn, who I perceive as having chosen to make some of this personal!!!

Sir, I took no side, and in fact made no comment whatsoever on the Sutphin Street matter until my post of 01 Jul 2010 at 6:47pm.

That post was completely farcical, and I clearly (at least I thought it was “clear”) pointed out my intent of humor by preceding my “translation” with the comment:

“Hey!!! As most of you might know by now, I can speak all of those languages (Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious)!!! Maybe I can translate for y'all!!!

I'll give it a shot!!!”

I apologize for thinking that people like you would NOT realize that “Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious” were NOT three actual foreign languages that required translation into a local dialect of English. As you might say: “My bad!”

Now, if you felt that my attempt at humor fell short and you wanted to give me a “groan” or some similar pan, of course I would not have minded, and would probably have joked about your taste in humor in return. But no, YOU replied thusly:

Well, I am always happy to reply condescendingly WHEN SOMEONE DESERVES IT, so I did in my reply to THAT!!!

“If you can't decide which version was "the most condescending" and you find that "neither said much of anything" then my tongue-in-cheek translation must have been VERY accurate!!!

Thank you for the compliment!!”

Apparently, that wasn’t condescending enough, for you didn’t seem to “get it”. You replied at 02 Jul 2010 at 7:56am thusly:

Now, I don’t know exactly what in my short statements prompted this rambling, incoherent response, and I thought about replying, but decided to spare you further embarrassment. After all, you did state that you “ have no experience whatsover with road/curbing construction” and then went on to prove it with some of your further ramblings.

I went on to have a wonderful evening with my wife and some friends, and let the subject drop.

You, however, decided to make it personal AGAIN it with YOUR response to Mr. Walkin:

Whatever, Dead Man.

Sure--I care mostly about my situation.

Just like I cared about my situation when Yankee was shut down over the fatal sewer situation.

I believe that I have mentioned the University/Shafor situation repreatedly here and in my conversations with engineering,admin and Council. Same with the other University water mane break and the I75/122 boondoggle.

BTW--no work has been done on Supthin since the meeting last Tuesday despite the promises. Hopefully it will resume today.

So--I concern myself with screwed up messes that effect me.

Big surprise--isn't that what I should be doing?

As for expecting "everyone to take my side", I pretty much play my own game here. Decide for yourself.

As for Presta beingconsulted on the road projects--are you serious?

You have a strange way of thinking--trying to manipulate others to speak up for what you see as important also. As always, if you have issues, you had better deal with them yourself. Don't you post as "High Speed Rail" also? Gets confusing when the same person posts on a topic using multiple screen names. Yer method--though a clarification would help.

Plus--I appreciate what Mr.Adkins has concluded, and how Council immediately bought inro his direction without much serious discussion. I know that you don't care for Mr.Adkins, but that is another of your issues.

Hey--great to have interesting points of view here.

Room for one more?

Spiderjohn, I don’t know how much you think you know about me, and I don’t know from whom you get your information or how much they think they know about me, but here’s a clue or two or a few:

If they think I’m inexperienced on “HUGE” (and I use "HUGE" sarcastically) jobs like the ones the city gets involved in here in Middletown, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If they think that I know nothing about the theory and practice of the design and placing of concrete slabs and structures, or about paving in general then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If they think that I have just been some low-level peon on a few little construction projects here and there, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If YOU think that you have discussed my qualifications with ANY other Middletown resident who has negotiated a project agreement with the General Presidents’ Committee of the AFL-CIO Building and Trades Department, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

Now, I try to be a humble man, and the forgoing may sound brazen. For that I apologize to everyone else!!! However, the record is the record, and it does get a little tiresome constantly hearing the record distorted by those who are ignorant of the facts.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 8:39pm
Mike--my last comment related to the city actually bringing you in for an opinion on anything.
Respectfully--we know that won't be happening, even when you have the expertise(and I know you to be a very knowledgeable person in many areas).  

Bottom line--no work has been done on Sutphin for at least two weeks now, despite promises from en\gineering and Council. That is my point--all about un-necessary delays, and nothing about construction technique. I know this street--I have worked and lived on or around it for over 50 years. Do you REALLY expect this project to finished by the start of the school year and without further expense?

Date Posted: Jul 06 2010 at 6:18pm
Just watched the new Supthin St.business owner make a polite, compassioned plea for an accurate update on the construction project, while expressing his dismay at the extended shutdown of work and the daily promises made at last week's extra Council session.

If Councilmembers and the city manager honestly don't know the facts behind the work stoppage
delay, then they probably should simply sit and remain silent. Or try something different by telling the truth.

jmo

Posted By: rngrmed
Date Posted: Jul 07 2010 at 2:37am
I don't own a business in this town or any other for that matter.  But as SpiderJohn said earlier, we have some sort of stake in this project and every other project that Council and the administration takes on.  Whether we are homeowners, renters, buisness owners, employees or parents we have a stake.  We need to drive on these roads to get to and from work, take our children to and from school or other activities. We use these roads to get to and from the grocery stores or other errands.  Our loved ones live on these streets and our ability to visit them or them visiting us is affected. 
Whenever council spends money on a project means another project does without.  Maybe the neglected project is one we are passionate about,.  Either way, we all have a stake and should care.

Posted By: Dead man walkin'
Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:06am

It seems you’ve yet to understand,

the lack of clock when death’s at hand.

Whether late night mine or early yours,

what makes the difference of our hours?

What some call “rant,” others see as prose,

what some smell sweet, fouls others’ nose.

The purpose in twilight of life,

‘tis not for fame nor to cause strife.

So judge not the meter, nor the rhyme,

but save the city, while still there’s time!

Attack the blackguards, not the good,

oh mighty Spider, THAT you should.

Or suffer ye as now I must,

and watch as our town turns to dust,

while concrete crumbles and buildings rust,

while funds are stolen and leaders lie…

and YOU can do no more than die!

So stay the course, if you believe.

Sway back and forth, instead of lead.

Take no stand at any cost!

DAMN US! We wait ’til all is lost!

We talk and talk while good men leave.

When I am gone none be bereaved.

Nor at your time will any grieve.

Too late for me, I cannot act,

December’s here, and that’s a fact.

Do you have time to switch the track?

I cannot say, don’t know your fate,

I can’t predict your reaper’s date,

I beg you, sir, please do not wait.

With one last fervent clarion call,

I beg you, urge you, one and all,

this one last late night rant to state:

Please do not meet with my same fate,

When heading for that Pearly Gate.

Do not face Him while you’re a’crawl,

Approach Him standing proud and tall,

Tell Him that you gave your all.

Rally the troops ‘fore town’s death knell,

let not them fall ‘neath evil’s spell.

Forsake that duty and I foretell:

We’ll meet next at the gates of hell.

-------------
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 9:46am
OK Dead Man--interesting.
Why me?

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 10:33am
Spider, I think the Deadman is suggesting you lead us in saving the town from the bad people, Pied Piper style, before it's too late.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 11:08am
Wow Vet--pretty tall mission there.
If Dead Man is implying that I am a "good person" then much appreciated,however as most know, I am not that "good". 
I am better as a loner than as a leader, and have never claimed to be any type of role model.

Still-someone is going to have to stand up to the dark side.
We need unification instead of division.

jmo

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 11:18am
Just like with a New Year's Resolution, the fixative, IMO, is "out with the old and in with the new". We have a start with Laubach instead of Marconi, Smith instead of what's her name-?, and, hopefully, the addition of Ms. Scott-Jones, who, most of the time, gives us the impression that she is on the right track in the correct direction. JMO

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:17pm
The peanut sat on the railroad track,
   It's heart was all a-flutter.
Then along came the Triple C,
   TOOT!!! TOOT!!! ... Peanut butter!!!
 LOL LOL LOL Cool Star

-------------

Date Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:28pm
As you can see from my previous post, I can speak "Poetic" (as well as "Pompous", "Dignified", and "Obnoxious" LOL ).
I could try to take a shot at translating into the colloquial again, but I don't want to catch h*ll. Wink LOL LOL

Besides, It's Friday night, and that's always reserved for my wife  Heart !!!

-------------

Posted By: angelababy
Date Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 2:52am
No visits to any of the affected businesses in any of these areas, just like during the extended Yankee Rd.shutdown after the disaster caused by Air Products and AK(oddly both responsible parties were allowed access top the closed road, as were SCHOOL BUSES).  No letters, no phonecalls, no ED updates or newspaper releases clarifying anything.

-------------
Welcome to my paintings website - http://www.wholesaleartmall.com - Wholesale Art Mall .   

Print Page | Close Window